Customize

Mistrial in Jett Travolta case. Travolta extortion case updates 2

Discussion in 'Jett Travolta' started by LocalSP, Oct 21, 2009.

1. inventor Member

Re: Mistrial in Jett Travolta case. Travolta extortion case updates 2

I believe both defendents are lying in their statements to try and save their own butts. The fact that neither of them took the stand and were cross examined under oath is very suspicious. I don't trust what said in their unsworn statements. If they have nothing to hide,they should take the oath and take the stand.
    I don't know if the rumors of Travolta wanting the trial moved to the U.S. are true or not. I don't even know if they can,but if they can that would be interesting. The defendents wouldn 't be able to make a statement to the jury,they'd have to testify under oath. The other EMT would be called to testify too. When they ask him about his conflicting interview on radar on-line,he would have to answer. I would bet the defendents would cop a plea ,if the trial would be here in the U.S. The video evidence would be more than enough to convict these losers.
  2. Ann O'Nymous Member

The very fact that you ignore that one of the two defendants is a woman just shows how little you know about it. Lurk moar.
  3. Anonymous Member

Fuck off, Ann!
  4. Anonymous Member

A woman? My god, women can work in the Bahamas?
  5. Ann O'Nymous Member

Welcome on this site.

I would also see them testify under oath and asked tough questions. But they are others, like Dr Fernandez, Garvey, that could also be interesting to hear.
  6. Tenebrous Member

Ooooo burn. And after I made this nice thread for you too http://forums.whyweprotest.net/38-thunderdome/annonymous-history-win-55134/

That aside, I actually didn't know one of them was a woman. I didn't pay attention to their names (or apparently their sex), but my point still stands. I notice (as you yourself are apt to point out) that you actually don't address any of the points in my post, but instead cherry pick one thing that's honestly unrelated to the main body of the argument.
  7. Ann O'Nymous Member

I suggest we discuss this there.
    Have you read my posts ? No, as you don't know the people gender or names...
  8. Tenebrous Member

I try to read your posts Ann, I really do
  9. Puddin_Tame Member

so anntresting
  10. fitch2000 Member

I don't know if that video evidence would be allowed in the US....especially the one that's missing the first part.....

there is no telling what happening at the begining of that "sting" operation or whatever you call it....I don't think that would be legal to use in court here, but idk, i'm not a lawlyer
  11. fitch2000 Member

but he's not grasping at straws like you!! he doesn't need to actually read and watch the info on the case to pull comments out of his/it's/her ass.
  12. Ann O'Nymous Member

Keep in mind they are illegal, as not authorized by the police commissioner.
  13. Anonynamefag Member

Now why would he want that?

tinfoilsmall.jpg
  14. Tenebrous Member

Come, come fitch, don't try to ride ann's coattails. He at least has some idea of what he's talking about, regardless as to whether I agree with his conclusions. And even if Ann doesn't want to directly answer my above post I have to give her credit for her hard work.

You on the other hand want to talk about about things that will never be included within the scope of the trial, as if suddenly the court system will decide that travolta is now the defendant.
  15. Tenebrous Member

Because we have a better court system and he just had a trial thrown out and now has to spend more money to get justice?
  16. Anonynamefag Member

But if the crime happened in another country, it can't be tried here, can it? It's not in the U.S.'s jurisdiction.
  17. Anonymous Member

Dear God THIS^^
    Now please make it stop.
  18. Ann O'Nymous Member

Lurk moar: Ossi started this before the mistrial. A detail, I know, but...
  19. Tenebrous Member

I'd have to ask Ann
    lol

Seriously though, you can't fault a US citizen for wanting a trial conducted within their own country.
  20. Anonymous Member

I miss AnonMSW
  21. Ann O'Nymous Member

Lurk moar: Ossi thinks it could be possible, as some of the phone calls were made to Jacksonville...

IANAL, IANAUSC, so IHNC.
  22. Anonymous Member

don't we all
  23. Anonymous Member

She's probably still here, on one of her many socks.
  24. TypingChimp Member

Although communication occurred from the Bahamas to the United States, I actually can, do, and will fault a US citizen for wanting a trial conducted in their own country when the crime happened well outside of US jurisdiction. May as well ask to be tried under Florida state law for a crime that happened in Washington state.
  25. TypingChimp Member

My best guess is it boiled down to the judge saying "Both sides are shady, and they fucking deserve each other. I wash my motherfucking hands of this goddamned shit." As always, IANAL, IWEARACOCKRING, and IHAVEKEYBOARDDIARRHEA.
  26. Ann O'Nymous Member

One hypothesis: John Travolta was not in the Bahamas at the time of the accident. Elements substatiating it:
    - Flights: he was the one piloting the plane on the morning of 02.01.09.
    - Pictures: Jett is with his mother and sister and a nanny, but not John.

I may be wrong, though.
  27. BusinessBecky Member

William Spaniel shows how to find the equilibrium solution to a prisoner's dilemma using the strict dominance solution concept.
  28. auchraw Member

OHO! So they phoned on 2 January early and he shot off to West End or whatever and the fun began? Of course you might be wrong but this isn't any dafter than the Travolta version of events. Which gets worse the more you consider it.
  29. Vir Member

Protip: Territory is not the only basis of jurisdiction, so Ossi might be on to something here, but the Bahamas would have to agree to it as well, I think.

If I were him though, I wouldn't want the FBI to get their hands on this case.

Tenebrous: Only a few people are suggesting foul play in how Jett died, but there's plenty of foul play going on afterwards. The defendants don't really have much motive for lying about Jett being less viable than suggested by some - in fact if they had wanted to cover up their blackmail, it might have been better for them to pretend like there was nothing unusual going on. The defendants were not the only ones who told about that either, and the prosecution didn't appear to doubt the evidence on that point. Jett was dead before rescue workers arrived - so what, the defendants are still guilty of blackmail.

If the defense wanted to show that the defendants were set up, they should have focused more on the evidence for that than confusing the jury and talking about god and family.
  30. Outside-in Member

Really Dumb-ass question did they reach a verdict before declaring a mistrial?
  31. Vir Member

As far as I remember, the jury was going to ask for more time to deliberate when the judge declared the mistrial. If, instead, the jury had reached a verdict, the judge wouldn't have let them say what it was, I think.
  32. Belladonna Member

The New Yorker just ran a piece (Oct 19) examining "the ethics of blackmail" in the wake of the David Letterman thing. I was disappointed that they left out the John Travolta case, but since they are not exactly raking in the dough, I guess I can understand why they ducked on that one.

David Letterman and blackmail : The New Yorker

I was interested by passages like this:
    The link might be behind a paywall. If you want me to copypasta the whole article, let me know.
  33. JohnnyRUClear Member

If that's the case, it's just been shown that any trial in the Bahamas can be zapped back to square one very easily.
  34. Vir Member

Note a subtle difference here: The blackmail of Letterman was over information that the blackmailer otherwise legally could reveal, and write a screenplay about if he wanted to.

In the Jett Travolta case, the blackmail/extortion was over what I would surmise is confidential medical information which is not legal to reveal without good cause. In other words, there would be legal consequences even if they hadn't made a demand/threat for money - is this correct?

Letterman case: Threatened to reveal information.
    Travolta case: Threatened to commit a crime, if reveling medical information is illegal there.
  35. Ann O'Nymous Member

What if not revealing medical info implies covering a cover-up ?
  36. Anonymous Member

Fuck off, Ann!
  37. auchraw Member

You may be correct but since we haven't seen the document(s) we don't know whether the damaging information was confidential medical information or not. But I believe it was stated that the defendant(s) also considered selling this document to the media, so it seems unlikely that the contents were confidential medical information.

I don't understand the difference between selling confidential information to a third party for a huge sum (something that happens every day) and selling the same confidential information back to the person concerned to protect his or her reputation. The implication is that the information is true and damaging. Otherwise it would not be worth anything. The harm would be done by publicising it. The guilty person has an interest in stopping this to protect his reputation. I'm not sure I see what is criminal about this.

Exactly.
  38. whoever Member

Well, what is criminal is that it's against the law. (Sorry to state the obvious.) You may disagree with the law, or not understand why it exists, but that doesn't change the fact that does.
  39. Ann O'Nymous Member

The Nassau Guardian Online Guide
  40. Anonymous Member

Made the morning CNN scrolling headlines.

"John Travolta wants extortion case moved to Florida, attorney says"

travgl.jpg