Customize

Montreal Church of Scientology in financial difficulty

Discussion in 'Media' started by mnql1, May 6, 2015.

1. mnql1 Member

Translation of a French article posted on May 6, 2015 on the website of the Montreal business newspaper Les Affaires:
    L'Église de scientologie de Montréal en difficultés financières
    • Like Like x 16
  2. Ann O'Nymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ogsonofgroo Member

Ron DeWolfe eldest son of Hubbard (born L. Ron Hubbard, Jr.), in an affadavit in Schaick v. Church of Scientology, US District Court Mass., No. 79-2491

Meh. I was looking for LRon's statement about acquiring/accumulating property, something along the lines that if it became important then it was time to blow the shit up. bbl.
  4. mnql1 Member

Excerpt from a French article posted on May 6, 2015 on the website of the Montreal daily Métro:
    L’Église de Scientologie doit 117 000$ à la Ville de Montréal
    • Like Like x 10
  5. anon8109 Member

At what point does the city start foreclosing on the downtown building?
    • Like Like x 2
  6. RightOn Member

yes ^ this and will they go after them for back taxes owed?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DeathHamster Member

It sounds like their standard tactics, like they did in Toronto: Never pay taxes, claim that as a religion they shouldn't have to, wait until there's a huge bill and the place will be foreclosed, settle for some compromise figure. (Strange how CoS's "compromises" always end up with them paying less money than they should.)
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Quentinanon Member

I would like to see someone in the Toronto city government take the view that the negotiated deficiency falls onto all other tax payers who pay in full, then file a lean against the cult for the full amount due and ruthlessly enforce payment.
  9. peterstorm Member

I'm so happy!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. peterstorm Member

Well we don't learn much from these articles. Some mistakes about them wanting to open a new Narconon "in the region" (?) Not going to happen.

Still glad for the Wednesday/downstat/bad press.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. mnql1 Member

• Like Like x 7
  12. RightOn Member

13. mnql1 Member

Translation of a French article posted on June 5, 2015 on the website of the Montreal daily newspaper Métro:
    L’Église de Scientologie fait face à la saisie pour des taxes non payées
    • Like Like x 11
  14. RightOn Member

Seize away! and GTFO.
    Long time coming and should have been yanked long ago.
    Thanks for posting the translation

"As is the case in some thirty cities, the building remains unoccupied since it was bought."
    If ever renovated, it would still be empty. :p

So, the building just gets seized and no prosecution for unpaid fines and taxes?
    why?
    • Like Like x 2
  15. anon8109 Member

The sale of the building will pay for the taxes and fines.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. DeathHamster Member

I wish I knew where the 30 cities number came from. I've been trying to track the rotting buildings, and I only get 30ish if I total the building names and the orgs, roughly doubling the number.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. John Duff Member

Because getting seized is already a punishment for not paying. You can't punish someone/something twice for one crime.

This made me question why we protest against a sect that doesn't need our help to die.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. It has seemed on the verge of death before. They managed a fairly successful Dianetics ad campaign (downplaying the Scientology brand) and got an influx of new members.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. mnql1 Member

The page below features an interactive map of 29 "phantom Scientology orgs" with photos and captions in French.
    Le parc immobilier fantôme de la scientologie

According to the map, the 29 cities with unoccupied ideal orgs are:

Toronto, Ontario
    Montreal, Québec
    Winnipeg, Manitoba

Atlanta, Georgia
    Boston, Massachussets
    Chicago, Illinois
    Detroit, Michigan
    Kansas City, Missouri
    New Haven, Connecticut
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Saint-Louis, Missouri
    Mountain View, California
    San Diego, California
    San Fernando Valley, California
    Philadephia, Pennsylvania
    Battle Creek, Michigan
    Harlem, New York City
    Columbus, Ohio
    Miami, Florida

Zürich, Switzerland

Birmingham, UK
    Northumbria, UK
    Manchester, UK
    Plymouth, UK

Capetown, South Africa
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    Durban, South Africa

Bulawayo, Zimbabwe

Auckland, New Zealand
    • Like Like x 11
  20. Random guy Member

Because popcorn?
    • Like Like x 2
  21. peterstorm Member

They will probably pay but a seizure would be funny.
    • Like Like x 4
  22. Random guy Member

You're likely right (unfortunately).
  23. mnql1 Member

Incidentally, the June 5, 2015 article appeared on the front page of the print edition of the Métro tabloid:
    Metro-Montreal-2015-06-05.jpg
    • Like Like x 7
  24. BigBeard Member

Phony "loan" from the IAS to bail them out maybe??

BigBeard
  25. DeathHamster Member

They like to take it to the brink in hopes that the other side will "split the difference" between nothing and what they owe.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. anon8109 Member

In this case that won't work. They either pay up by the deadline or lose the building.
  27. Random guy Member

Let's hope you are right.
  28. RightOn Member

Can't the COS let the building be confiscated and then have some other "company" *cough*, COS front group buy it at a discounted price back from the city?
  29. anon8109 Member

Since this would be an auction, it's not likely that the building would go for so much less than market value that it would be worth the risk of losing the building.
  30. DeathHamster Member

CoS likes to try the carrot and the stick.

The carrot is that the city will get immediate hard cash for some of the potential money owed.
    The stick is the threat of a long expensive legal campaign, possibly followed with the dubious income from selling the property.

That's how they got their Toronto deal in the 90s. (Today, Toronto would look at the price condo developers would pay for the land, giggle, and foreclose on the spot.)
  31. mnql1 Member

Translation of a French article posted on Thursday, November 5, 2015 on the TVA network website:
    L'Église de Scientologie acquitte sa facture
    • Like Like x 4
  32. DeathHamster Member

Sounds like they waited until absolutely the last minute.

Now let's see if Toronto is willing to put them under the hammer.
    • Like Like x 1
  33. BlooAnon Member

I wonder, who coughed up the dough. IAS? The poor Scientologists financially squeezed for all their worth and more?
  34. peterstorm Member

Maybe from the money they have raised so far to renovate the building. They need at least 10M.
  35. BigBeard Member

They need to be careful about that. Using money donated for a specific purpose for other things is a quick way to end up behind bars. It be interesting to find out where the money actually came from.

BigBeard
  36. DeathHamster Member

They've drained Idle Org funds before. I think the Toronto fund was sucked dry for a promotional campaign several years back.

Internally, when they need money for something (before Thurs 2pm), they grab it because it's all theirs just like prepayment "money on account".

The question is, were they vague enough in the fine print of paperwork for the original donations?
  37. BigBeard Member

Of course the city probably doesn't care, since it got it's tax money. But, considering how long things say idle because of lack of funds, someone in the government with an interest in possible chicanery might want to have a forensic accountant look into where the money came from. I see way to much murkiness in the money transfers within the US side IRS Form 990's to believe this situation was handled in a manner completely on the up and up.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 2
  38. mnql1 Member

Journal de Montréal today published a historical feature about the La Patrie newspaper (1879-1978), whose offices were located from 1907 to 1978 in the building that the Church of Scientology of Montreal purchased in 2007 for its future ideal org but can't afford to renovate.

Without mentioning that the Church of Scientology is the current owner, the segment about the building laments that:
    "The building having been left in disrepair by the current owner, no one any longer crosses
    its antique portal, the worthy witness of an era when the printed newspaper ruled."

Immeuble La Patrie 1976-2016.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  39. Random guy Member

Man, that building look ratty.
  40. BlooAnon Member

Montreal really needs to put their foot down. :/