Customize

Mortuary Director Terminated

Discussion in 'Jett Travolta' started by parvent, Jan 7, 2009.

1. parvent Member

Restview Memorial Mortuary and Crematorium has fired assistant director Glenn Miller for improperly releasing information regarding the death of 16-year-old Jett Travolta.

The former Restview employee told the press that the young man’s body was in fact "in good condition," and that the death certificate listed the cause of death as "seizure."
  2. Anon1720 Member

Re: Mortuary Director Terminated

Needs poons!
  3. rof Member

Who is Mr. Campbell? Same as Mr. Miller?

This is as bad as the Freewinds thing with these half-baked Caribbean journalists.
  4. anonymous1312 Member

Firing the guy is awfully heavy handed.

The guy probably just made the general comment, "the body was in great shape" and the press ran with it to say there was no indication of the head injury. A simple clarification would have sufficed "well I didn't actually see the body but when I said it was in great shape I meant under the circumstances and was not commenting on finer details of its condition, I have since been told there was signs of a head injury consistent with a fall." blah blah.

Then again a man of principal may have felt he could not have made such a statement because it was a lie, leaving the rest home no choice but to fire him.

The indication of a head injury was not important, Jett died from "a seizure". Seizures result in falls and falls usually result in some kind of trauma, especially in bathrooms, but in this case the trauma was incidental as it was the seizure that killed him.
  5. mrfyde Member

so they fired him for telling the truth ?

When it was about to be a BIG FAT LIE ?
  6. anonymous1312 Member

Yeah I noticed that too.
  7. anonymous1312 Member

Happens all the time, telling the truth is often called whistle blowing under the circumstances. Simple misunderstandings can be rectified but when someone blows the whistle on something it usually results in them being fired. I doubt the guy will want to comment further though because he will want to be able to get a job when it all dies down.
  8. mrfyde Member

Well if I was a journalist with a ton of money I would know who to ask... just say'n
  9. Consensus Member

Funeral homes and hospitals really do have an obligation to maintain confidentiality - and if he broke the rules, he should face the consequences.

That said, there are many industries that demand confidentiality, and sometimes there is a higher moral obligation to break that confidentiality - that's what we call 'whistleblowing', and is the very foundation of what wikileaks represents. If the information in the autopsy could bring justice for a neglected child, or could save hundreds of other children from a similar fate, he should be heralded as a hero for breaking the rules - but that doesn't mean he shouldn't still be fired.

That said, the information he leaked wasn't terribly helpful. It didn't shed any new light on the issue, didn't provide any information that wasn't already publicly known. If he wanted to play whistleblower, he should have stood up and shouted at the top of his lungs 'THIS CHILD DIED BECAUSE HE WASN'T GIVEN PROPER MEDICAL TREATMENT FOR AN OBVIOUS DISORDER THAT IS UNDERSTOOD AND TREATABLE!'

I'm not gunna lose any sleep over this.
  10. adhocrat Member

He violated his professional duties by releasing information not his to release. He deserves to be fired, don't ya think?
  11. parvent Member

12. rof Member

I lost my friend Mr. Miller who signs things can you help me find him?
  13. ARC Member

The cause of death and the death certificate were made public properly by somebody else. This guy talked to the press without authorization, may have been inaccurate about the state of the body, and didn't provide any more useful information than was already being released. As far as I see it, he risked his job for nothing.
  14. Optimisticate Member

15. Top Grunge Member

Protip. If a scilon dies. Refuse to be involved. You will be fired.
  16. auchraw Member

This is what I read.
  17. anonhuff Member