Customize

Moscow Court Bans Church of Scientology

Discussion in 'Media' started by mnql1, Nov 23, 2015.

1. mnql1 Member

Moscow Court Bans Church of Scientology
    RAPSI aka Russian Legal information Agency
    One more case opened against St. Petersburg Church of Scientology

ST. PETERSBURG, April 6 (RAPSI, Mikhail Telekhov) - A criminal case on money laundering has been opened against one of the leaders of the Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg, the press service of the Federal Security Service’s (FSB) regional directorate has told RAPSI.
    According to investigators, a group of people including one of the religious organization’s leaders laundered 17 million rubles ($294,000) out of 140 million rubles (about $2.5 million) received from illegal business activities.
    In late March, searches were conducted at the premises of the Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg. The raids were directed to identifying more items and documents confirming the criminality of the religious organization leaders’ actions, the FSB press-service said.

snippet
    Currently, the Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg leader Ivan Matsitsky and chief accountant of the religious group Sakhib Aliyev are in detention. The organization’s executive director Galina Shurinova, chief of the official matters department Anastasia Terentyeva and her assistance Constance Yesaulkova are under house arrest. They stand charged with illegal business, inciting hatred and enmity, violation of human dignity.

http://www.rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20180406/282422136.html
    • Like Like x 16
  2. mnql1 Member

Moscow court bans Church of Scientology
    • Like Like x 4
  3. I can't find any articles that have more information on this. It would be nice to know whether or not the CoS is being banned for legit and defensible reasons (which certainly exist) or just because the Russian government is inclined to ban things.

If it is the second it probably just helps the CoS pretend that legal action against them is all "persecution".
    • Like Like x 2
  4. mnql1 Member

Moscow City Court has liquidated the Metropolitan Church of Scientology
    • Like Like x 9
  5. Where is Herro when you need him?
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Quentinanon Member

I think a more accurate description of the scientology corporation would be a destructive organization that misrepresents itself as religious.
    • Like Like x 5
  7. RightOn Member

let the assploading continue!
  8. Honestly, treating it like a commercial entity would be enough to mostly kill it. No more exemption to labour laws, no more tax exemption, no barriers to having courts examine its "religious" contracts, a requirement to file detailed tax returns, etc.

This Russian ruling looks like they are concluding that it is not a proper religious organization but instead of then treating it like a commercial one it is dissolving it entirely. I guess you can reasonably argue that the ruling means that it was fraudulently claiming to be a religion but it's hard to work out what the line of reasoning actually was
    • Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. anon8109 Member

What's to stop the scientology corporation from just re-incorporating under a new name in Russia?
  10. White Tara Global Moderator

They would have to give up trademarking and the associated revenues for a start. They would rather die first:)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. anon8109 Member

Scientology is all about making money, so if the company can make money by getting new trademarks for the re-named company why wouldn't it?
  12. Malory Member

Come on OSA, time for you and Wee Davey to start fair-gaming Putin. I double dog dares ya.
    • Like Like x 6
  13. Random guy Member

That would be my hunch. I guess we'll have to wait for some more through media articles reporting on it.
  14. White Tara Global Moderator

Tru that, however it was key to the finding that trademarking indicates proof of no religious status.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. White Tara Global Moderator

What a delicious concept, methinks DM might receive a courtesy polonium-210 laced bottle of scotch in no time flat. :)
    • Like Like x 3
  16. mnql1 Member

http://tonyortega.org/2015/11/23/mo...ogy-in-ongoing-dispute-church-vows-to-appeal/
    • Like Like x 2
  17. mnql1 Member

• Like Like x 5
  18. Quentinanon Member

The only person losing in the Moscow scientology shutdown is David Miscavige.
    And the U.S. has a disease in its justice system for sanctioning the existence of a tax-exempt scientology "religion".
    • Like Like x 3
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

Church of Scientology Moscow branch 'dissolved' by court | BBC News

A Russian court has ruled that the Moscow branch of the Church of Scientology should be dissolved.

The Moscow city court accepted the arguments of Russia's justice ministry that as the term "Scientology" is a registered US trademark, the Church cannot be considered a religious organisation.

The organisation plans to appeal, reports said.

The court set a six-month timescale for the Church to close, the ministry said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34906785

Russian court bans Moscow branch of the Church of Scientology | The Guardian

Authorities argued in part that since the Church of Scientology had registered its name as a US trademark, it cannot call itself a religious organisation.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/23/russian-court-bans-moscow-branch-church-of-scientology

Russian court bans Church of Scientology because it is 'not a religion' | The Independent

Russian media report that the church tried to register 'Scientology' as a trademark.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...gy-because-it-is-not-a-religion-a6745386.html

Moscow Bans Church Of Scientology, Claims It's Not A Religious Body | International Business Times

http://www.ibtimes.com/moscow-bans-church-scientology-claims-its-not-religious-body-2196764

Moscow Ruling | Mike Rinder

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/moscow-ruling/

Strange scenes from the Moscow hearing that banned Scientology yesterday | The Underground Bunker

Let us spell out a little more clearly why we greet any news from Vlad Putin’s dystopic fief with extreme skepticism and dread. It’s because Russia, and its news media in particular, is a Bizarro World where up is down, and nothing is as it seems.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/11/24/st...ow-hearing-that-banned-scientology-yesterday/
    • Like Like x 4
  20. Mike Rinder: Analysis of Moscow Scientology Ruling

Mike Rinder has a very good and interesting preliminary analysis of this. While I excerpt the post below please read the entire post.

Moscow Ruling

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/moscow-ruling/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

But let’s stick to Trademarks — which is where the Moscow court seems to have focused too. Realize this is a layman’s description and understanding and these are my thoughts. There are probably lawyers out there who could take me to task for my somewhat simplistic approach and description. I am trying to keep it simple even though I do understand this is a very complicated legal issue….

A Trademark is defined by the US Patent and Trademark Office as: A word, phrase, symbol or design, or a combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others.

Pretty simple definition, and certainly scientology has a right to trademark anything they want as long as nobody else has registered it before them and it is not a generic term (some scientology trademarks are “weak” like “Purification Rundown” because those are fairly commonly used and understood terms, whereas a trademark like scientology is “strong” as there is no similar term in use).

But where this becomes far more complicated is when you add “religion” and “tax exemption” into the mix.

The constitution and its interpretation by courts through the last two centuries basically guarantees everyone in the US the right to practice the religion of their choice freely, as long as doing so breaks no others laws. So, if one were to hang out their shingle and claim they are practicing scientology without the approval of RTC, it would be an interesting battle of competing interests. I think the balance between protecting the rights of the trademark owner to shut you down if you are offering something that in their eyes dilutes the value of their mark (you don’t want inferior quality knock-offs ruining your brand — when you buy a Rolex watch with that brand and symbol you don’t want a Swatch with a Rolex name on it) and the right to practice your religion tips in favor of the freedom to practice. Because you have to enter another factor into the equation — economic loss. The theory is that intellectual properties (copyrights, trademarks and patents) protect the VALUE of something you created or own. That value is measurable in economic terms.

Scientology has a very thin, if not impossible, line to walk because to prosecute a claim for trademark infringement they would have to show economic harm. Copyrights are easier — the idea that someone cannot sell a bootleg copy of your movie or book is pretty easy to grasp. Same with a patent for the workings of an Emeter. People patents gadgets and machines every minute of every day. But what about patenting an “idea” or “image” which is really what a trademark is. And that idea or image is a “religion.” If scientology claims they suffer economic harm by the practice of scientology outside their zone of approval, they have essentially admitted they are running a BUSINESS that is seeking to make money. One would normally think that you would want your ideas of salvation spread as far and wide as you can possible get them and that one and all would be allowed to participate if the intent was to HELP people and not to simply monopolize an income stream.

And this position of protecting your income stream and the commercial nature of such a concept is anathema to tax exempt status.

This has not been litigated to a final result that I am aware of. It must be a big concern for scientology and explains why they have not filed any suits against “squirrels.” They know that if they confront a good legal team on the other side the issue will likely end up before the US Supreme Court and I suspect they do not like their odds. Losing the trademarks would be the ultimate black mark on Miscavige. And I think it would be the likely outcome.

I also believe that in litigation like this, the plaintiff loses. It would be pretty pointless to file a lawsuit against scientology to claim they were infringing your rights to practice your religion if they had done nothing to try and prevent you from doing so. But if scientology were to sue to try to enforce their trademarks and thus prevent someone from the practicing the religion of their choice, they would be seen as bullies and would end up with bad decisions like the recent one in the Texas Appeals court in the Monique Rathbun case.

Thus, it’s a sort of Mexican standoff, though every day RTC does NOT prosecute “infringers” weakens their position. You eventually lose protection from the law if you do nothing to properly protect your rights. Thus, this is a war of attrition that scientology utlimately loses.

But battle has been joined on this issue in Moscow. And it’s not a “squirrel” or an “aggrieved scientologist” that is the other party in this fight. It is the government. And that is a different beast. I dont have the time or resources to make a study of the law in Russia that applies to this case, but I suspect the basic concepts I have described above generally fit this scene.

This is not good territory for scientology to be fighting on. It is going to be interesting to see how this Moscow case plays out.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 2
  21. JURIST - Russia court bans Church of Scientology

http://jurist.org/paperchase/2015/11/russia-court-bans-church-of-scientology.php

Raw Story / AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE: Russian court bans Church of Scientology in Moscow

https://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/russian-court-bans-church-of-scientology-in-moscow/

Voice of America: Church of Scientology's Moscow Branch to be Dissolved

http://m.voanews.com/a/church-scientology-moscow-branch-dissolved/3070578.html
    • Like Like x 2
  22. anon8109 Member

23. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 2
  24. anoninoob Member

• Like Like x 1
  25. Quentinanon Member

It would get lulzy if the cult did not liquidate and the court ordered all the books, cds, emeters, furniture, filing cabinets, central files, ethics files, auditing files, and osa files sold at auction. Maybe someone could get a good deal on CalMag.
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Russia’s War on Scientology Explained by Jonny Jacobsen.

• Like Like x 2
  27. RightOn Member

SO hard to agree that the COS has the right to due process and having a fair shake at defending themselves when they have caused and continue to cause so much pain and suffering. Including financial drain, family disconnection and all the abuses of their members in the Sea Org.
    As the old saying goes, believe in what you want, but when it comes to screwing people over and harming them, your rights should go out the window. BUT I guess you still have to prove the abuses exist first.
    • Like Like x 2
  28. anon8109 Member

Due process is a fundamental principle that distinguishes countries where everyone is equal under the law and countries where they are not.
  29. Quentinanon Member

I find it ironic that the scientology organisation lacks due process, as the way their tribunal (comm ev) is set up, the result can easily get railroaded, but they demand due process outside their dysfunctional organisation. They certainly operate on a double standard. They believe it's fine for them to Fair Game those people they don't like, but go beserk when someone Fair Games them.
    • Like Like x 2
  30. anon8109 Member

Yes. The Scientology corporation is scientological.

It's a bully that accuses its victims of bullying it.
    it's a criminal organization that uses the law to harass and destroy.
    It's a liar that accuses everyone else of lying.
    it's a greedy company that accuses its critics of being paid to criticize.
    It's an abuser that pretends to help those in need.

Infuriating, isn't it?
    • Like Like x 4
  31. Aurora Member

Even if scientology was to appeal and win, I think Russia would use their new law that lets them kick out undesirable NGO's to get the job done. In the meantime, Russian scientologists are being asked by scientologist Pavel Zakharov to employ bury-your-head-in-sand tech:
    https://seccheck.wordpress.com/
    * translation as shown on sec check page. They also show the original untranslated version.
    • Like Like x 3
  32. The Internet Member

Scientology in Russia is probably under the thumb of the KGB, whatever they call that now. So all this theatrical persecution is a great way to distract.
  33. Quentinanon Member

Infiltrated, yes. Run by, no.
  34. Quentinanon Member

Zakharov is a OSA spokeshole. The GO spewed similar minimise tech to the gullible flocks during the trial of Mary Sue Hubbard, Jane Kember, Mo Budlong, et al. "All they did was steal photo-copying paper." "We are on trial because they hate our superior technology." "(U.S. attorney) Banoon the baboon."
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Quentinanon Member

You got it right. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    • Like Like x 1
  36. The Wrong Guy Member

Jonny Jacobsen: Why the Moscow ban on Scientology may be built on shaky foundations

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, November 29, 2015

Our man in Europe, Jonny Jacobsen, finally found some time in his busy schedule covering the Scientology prosecution in Belgium to give us his thoughts about the other big story this week — the Moscow court’s decision to ban the church. Like us, Jonny has his concerns about the way Russia goes about its opposition to Hubbardism.

Also, on the same page, there's another article about Moscow:

Professor Alexander Dvorkin responds to the Bunker

On Tuesday, we reported some of the odd things that happened at the Moscow court hearing which called for the banning of Scientology in that city. Among the interesting things included in a TV report from the courtroom were some words from Professor Alexander Dvorkin, whom we ran into in Toronto in June. Professor Dvorkin, we pointed out, has said that Ukraine prime minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk is controlled by the American CIA through the Church of Scientology. Professor Dvorkin was good enough to send us a response, and so we’re publishing it here in full.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/11/29/jo...cientology-may-be-built-on-shaky-foundations/
    • Like Like x 2
  37. anon8109 Member

38. Random guy Member

I'm usually a big fan of Ortega, but I'm not sure I agree with him this time. Granted, Russia is plagued by rampant corruption and and has a history of dubious juridical processes, but that does not mean the ruling was necessarily wrong. If the Russian law says any group that register as religions under false pretences are to be dissolved, then the ruling is more than likely correct.

Reading Ortega 'm reminded of how much what one is used to colours ones perception. The legal history of the CoS shows that the US legal system is far from perfect either, yet Ortega seems to take ruling that comes out of a US court in a very different light.

Watching from the sidelines, CoS' legal bettles leave me with few exceptions a deep disgust at the US legal system. Russia may be plagued by direct corruption, but the US courts have a system where cases are decided on a plethora of obscure precedences and legal technicalities, the "rue of lawyers" rather than the "rule of law". Those with the deepest pockets usually win. How is this better than the Russian system where the winners also usually are the ones with the deepest pockets? How is the Belgian system where cases drags on for decades allowing the predators to continue ruining lives better than the Russian system?
    • Like Like x 4
  39. RightOn Member

40. I disagree with Ortega. Moscow decision is great. I am not sure why he is getting soft on the cult.
  41. I do not like either that Ortega seems to be posting more and more stuff from years back as opposed to post about new stuff.

Old news are old.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  42. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Go Tony Go go go
    (Bitch please)
    • Like Like x 1
  43. Ersatz Global Moderator

It thinks we don't know its samefagging.
    • Like Like x 2
  44. Random guy Member

Can't really fault him for that, the cult is winding down.
    • Like Like x 1
  45. BLiP Member

There seems an inherent flaw in Jonny's analysis - that the Russian justice system is somehow lesser than the which ever system he is comparing it with. Given the litigation history of Scientology over the last 65 years, it is apparent that the least just of all is the US system while the Russian system is, by far, the more effective.
  46. Blows me away that some people just cuz Russia is smacking around the cult think Russia and Putin are the shit. That country has very little freedom and Putin is a fucking dickwad motherfucker despot fascist asshole.

Get a grip, people.

47. Agreed. Alison Hope Weiner and Ortega are applying the US legal definition of 'due process', which only exists in a few English, Common Law-based jurisprudence countries. Even the rules of Due Process in the UK is different than the US rules. Weiner is a former attorney in CA with an active law license. So there is plenty of bias here.

But according to Jacobsen, Russia is not following their own rules of Due Process, but Russia doesn't seem to like rules very much. The ruling to ban Scientology as a religion is great for the short term, but not long term. If you want to make an underground movement/cult more tantalizing for new recruits, you ban it from the populace. Russia's inability to follow their own rules takes away any credibility as an example for other countries <points to the ground> to do the same.

If Scientology is allowed to exist as a valid commercial enterprise, then it does not have international religious protections and is subject to any existing consumer protection laws. It also dies slowly on the vine, like it is doing in the US, UK, and other industrialized western countries.
    • Like Like x 1
  48. Random guy Member

I'd like to see some details on just what rules they have borked. For the time being I guess we'll have to wait for Jonny to get abreast with the Brussels case, though.
  49. Quentinanon Member

Russian jurisprudence takes its basis in Byzantine Empire law, with later influences mainly from Marxism. Due Process as we know it in the West is from Common and Roman law and anything outside those traditions, like the scientology "comm ev" puzzle and revolt us. I guess someone could say that in Russia, scientology "pulled it in" and got justice almost as bad as a committee of evidence. Do they deserve it, yes. Will it stand in the long term, likely not.
  50. Unfortunately due to how most other countries see Russia and Putin, whatever they do against scientology it will be seen by such countries as bad and scientology will receive a lot of sympathy
  51. DeathHamster Member

fify.

They might not approve of how Russia did it, but *shrug* oh well.
    • Like Like x 2
  52. I am wondering if Tony Ortega has changed his mind about Moscow and their decision after reading all these comments about how people are not in agreement with his point of view.

Tony is known to read WWP so, what say you, Senor Ortega?

53. Democracy baby
  54. ???

lay off the crack pipe, honey.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1

55. nou.gif
  56. I just wish he would be reporting his own stuff, instead of other people's blog news and shit.

I personally can't stomach Karen de la Carriere and Jeffrey Augustine with their auditing people. And Tony keeps on quoting them and linking to their shit :/
    <3Tony
    This message by <3Tony has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
  57. Damn, constructive criticism also censored here?

It is obvious Tony Ortega has had a long line of "other people's news" especially after his book tour. He might be just road tired or something else. But facts are facts and no amount of down voting will change that
    <3Tony
    This message by <3Tony has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  58. Disambiguation Global Moderator

You could still see your post if you were registered. You aren't so you can't.
  59. Independent Scientology Religious Liberty League: Moscow Bans Scientology.

The Independent Scientology Religious Liberty League has commented on this matter.

Moscow Bans Scientology

http://religiouslibertyleague.org/moscow-bans-scientology/

Hammer_Sickle_Swastika.jpg

Moscow Bans Scientology

Posted On: 04 Dec 2015

By: admin

On November 23, 2015, a Moscow court ordered the dissolution of that city’s Church of Scientology on the grounds that it did not qualify as a religious organization due to a US trademark of the word Scientology. For a typical news story, Scientology Banned in Russia.

A number of people sent us links to stories like this and asked us to comment on them. They were particularly interested in the ramifications of the ruling on Scientology worldwide. Some also wondered whether the trademark angle was a potential threat to the religiosity of Scientology in America.

Here is our take on the court ruling, from which we have only seen isolated quotes and summaries, by the way; we have not seen the full decision.

Backdrop: Religious Bigotry

Russian culture and government do not favor the free expression of religion. In perfect doublespeak, Russian law declares all religions equal and prohibits government interference in religion. The same law, however, acknowledges specific traditional, long-established religions, e.g., Christianity and Judaism, and gives a special shout-out to the Russion Orthodox Church for its role in the history and development of the country’s spirituality and culture.

Additionally, religious entities must register with and be approved by the government.

In practice, religious minorities are barely tolerated and applications for religious status are often treated arbitrarily. Support for the right bureaucrat can make the difference between acceptance and denial. So, too, can a dissolution process be influenced. Given Scientology’s unpopular, minority status and its American origin – Russian culture remains largely anti-all things American – and these sentiments have been inflamed by recent global events – the prosecution is inherently suspect as an act of persecution.

Some examples of Russian religious intolerance against minority Western religions:

In 2007, a St. Petersburg Court ordered that city’s Scientology center to close because it had refused to allow government officials to sit in on confidential “auditing” sessions and did not hand over confidential documents from those sessions when requested. (The center continued to operate despite the order, and the government did not force the closure, but imagine a US agency requesting to sit in on auditing sessions!)

In 2004, after a 6-year trial, Jehovah’s Witnesses activities were banned in Moscow.

in 1999, Russia refused to register the Society of Jesus, one of the Catholic Church’s most prestigious orders of priests.

Of course, for 70 years following WWI, the official state religion in Russia was atheism. The cultural and governmental context of the court action, therefore, is hostile to the core concepts of the religion of Scientology, i.e., that a person is a spirit, not the body, and the goal of Scientology is the full restoration of one’s spiritual awareness and self-determinism. Freaky stuff to many atheists.

Hat Hung on the Moscow Court’s Hatrack: US Trademark of “Scientology”

Given this context, the court’s findings are almost beside the point; someone with some political clout who wants to be done with Scientology in Moscow is all it takes.

But every dissolution order can be challenged in the Russian appellate courts and the European Court of Human Rights, so take a sniff of the prosecution’s case to see if it passes the smell test.

Remember that religious entities must be registered in Russia. A 1997 law creates three categories of religious “communities”: (1) religious groups; (2) local religious organizations; and (3) centralized religious organizations, with different levels of legal status and privileges.

The Moscow Scientology church was an approved local branch. The government argued that the term “Scientology” is a US trademark registered in the name of Religious Technology Center (RTC). And therefore, the prosecutor boldly asserted and plausibly maintained – we presume, based on the outcome – the Scientology religion is being spread in Russia not by a registered and approved religious organization, but by a commercial enterprise.

By American and international human rights standards, that argument reeks of Russian Bear doodoo. For one thing, a trademark does not equal commercial enterprise.

Look around.

Red-Cross-Logo.jpg

Red Cross LogoSee a Red Cross? Both the name and the logo are trademarks held by the iconic charitable organization. Churches can also obtain US trademarks. “Seventh-Day Adventist,” for example, is a trademarked name.

While trademarks are often associated with commercial enterprises, the legal purpose of trademark law is to enable an entity to prove the distinctiveness of its name so that it cannot be used by any other organization in a situation where there would be a “likelihood of confusion.”

It is also quite a stretch to claim that the non-registered RTC is spreading the religion of Scientology in Moscow, as the ruling entails, by virtue of its ownership of the trademark.

But this is what can happen in a religiously intolerant, corrupt bureaucratic environment.

Ramifications of Ruling

The Moscow court’s finding has no legal precedential value outside Russia, particularly in the United States. The ruling may not even survive an appeal in the Russian courts. It shouldn’t.

But there’s a saying in the legal profession, “Bad facts, make bad law.” A lot of angry sentiment exists against Scientology, and it continues to build. Some of it is due to religious prejudice and intolerance, but much of it is caused by failures of good technical results and the arrogant, abusive policies and practices of the Miscavige administration, such as, front and center, the oppressive policy of disconnection.

The church can remedy this. David Miscavige can show true leadership by following the example of LRH who, when faced with adverse governmental actions by the United Kingdom in the late 1960s, commissioned broad public surveys to determine what about Scientology, if anything, people disliked. The results revealed a disdain for the policies of disconnection, Fair Game and security checks. So LRH cancelled them, and relations with the UK improved. New Zealand, for example, called off an investigation into Scientology in response to a personal letter from Hubbard notifying it of the reform measures undertaken.

We have written about this before on this and our sister-site, SaveScientology.com. See, for example, our article entitled David Miscavige’s Day of Reckoning, in which we link to LRH’s 1968 announcement to Scientologists of the Reform Code of Scientology.

In our most recent article posted on this website, we quoted L. Ron Hubbard:

“[W]hen an organization gets into the fantastic levels of being above reproach, or when an individual sets himself up as so infinitely superior to his fellow man that he cannot be touched, chaos no matter at what distant date is bound to ensue. Do you see that?”[1]

We see some of that chaos in the Moscow court ruling.

Rather than throw millions more at Russian and European Human Rights lawyers to claim persecution, we urge the church to take a new approach.

END NOTE:

[1] The Anatomy of the Spirit of Man Congress tape lecture #15, What Scientology Is Doing – Organizations, The Control &amp; Division of Man, given on 6 June ‘55.

60. Incredulicide Member

Having to rely on blatantly lying like this isn't going to win them any respect.
  61. Sekee Member

Scientologists don’t believe in god either! The concept of a soul is far too ancient to freak anyone out. “ the full restoration of one’s spiritual awareness and self-determinism.” Is a new age word salad which I’d file under baffle with bullshit. Perhaps scientologists should stop blaming atheists for their misfortune and look towards their own actions to determine why they are disliked.
    • Like Like x 3
  62. I never appreciate yhat much putin ,but lately he did all the things westerners didn't dare to do
    I start to think differently about the russian leader now
  63. Random guy Member

Interesting comparison between the US Red Cross and CoS. There's a hitch though: the US Red Cross have to my knowledge never tried to register as a religion anywhere. The Seventh day Adventists which are referenced too don't have the same franchise structure as the CoS. I think the Russians may actually have a decent case.
    • Like Like x 2
  64. DeathHamster Member

Maybe the Russians were boggling over auditing session recordings and files that are reviewed by many people being called "confidential"?

After all, the US courts weren't very impressed with the idea that files seen by 300+ knobs claiming to be ministers qualified as confidential priest-penitent confessionals.

Ask Davie how confidential auditing sessions are the next time he's laughing over drinks reviewing the fucked up things his pet celebrities say.
    • Like Like x 1
  65. Sekee Member

Yes, sending copies to the St Petersburg Times is another example of Scientology’s interpretation of the word Confidential.
    • Like Like x 2
  66. The Wrong Guy Member

Ban on Church of Scientology appealed in Russian Supreme Court | Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI)

The Church of Scientology Moscow filed an appeal challenging the Moscow City Court’s ruling banning the organization, the court’s spokesperson Ulyana Solopova told RAPSI on Friday.

The appeal will be considered by Russia’s Supreme Court.

In November, Moscow City Court Judge Mikhail Kazakov granted a motion filed by the Russian Justice Ministry and ordered the liquidation of the branch of the Church of Scientology within six months.

The Justice Ministry found during an audit that the charter of the Church of Scientology Moscow runs counter to the federal law on the freedom of religion, and that the word “Scientology” is a registered trademark of the US Religious Technology Center. Following the audit, the ministry requested that the Moscow City Court outlaw the Church of Scientology Moscow.

Dianetics and Scientology are a set of religious and philosophical ideas and practices that were put forth by L. Ron Hubbard in the US in the early 1950s.

The scientific community never recognized it as science.

A resolution passed in 1996 by the State Duma, the lower house of Russia’s parliament, classified the Church of Scientology as a destructive religious organization.

The Moscow Regional Court ruled in 2012 that some of Hubbard’s books be included on the Federal List of Extremist Literature and prohibited from distribution in Russia.

Source:
    http://www.rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20160115/275207703.html
    • Like Like x 2
  67. Random guy Member

Well, well, the clams are planning to go into a pissing contest with the Russian state? This could get fun!
    • Like Like x 1
  68. Quentinanon Member

Let them blow lots of money on high-priced LOLyers. It would bring much needed funds into the Russian economy.
  69. anon8109 Member

70. The Wrong Guy Member

Russia vs. Scientology: Kremlin Cracks Down on Controversial Church | The Moscow Times

A team of police officers stands by a yellow, colonnaded building in central Moscow. Close on their heels is a camera crew from the Kremlin-controlled NTV station. As the officers move into the building, the NTV reporter turns to the camera. “There are many corridors here, lots of rooms,” he says in conspiratorial tone. “The doors are almost all locked, so the officers will have to break them down.”

On cue, one of the balaclava-wearing officers revs up a chain saw. With the roaring sound in the background, the shot switches to another man breaking down several doors with a large sledgehammer. The viewer never sees behind the doors.

The Moscow Church of Scientology has become used to such visits from law enforcement. This particular one took place in 2011. In January last year, the venue was searched again in connection to an investigation into the illegal sale of land. And more recently, in August, police raided the venue in search of hidden cameras and microphones allegedly used by Scientology to spy on its members.

“It is part of a media show to blacken our name,” says the founder of Scientology’s Moscow branch Vladimir Kuropyatnik. He sees the raids as part of the authorities’ attempt to take down his church.

<snipped>

With little trust in the Russian courts, Scientology groups have taken their cause directly to the European Court of Human Rights. In all three cases heard by the court, the ECHR said Russia had tried to use a new law requiring movements to be older than 15 years to be eligible for registration as a religion to discriminate against Scientology groups in Russia.

That has made even critics of Scientology wary of celebrating its demise in Russia. They argue that governments should concentrate on building strong cases against Scientology on grounds of widely reported malpractice within the organization itself and use, rather than bend, the law.

“They still deserve fair treatment and I am not convinced they are getting it in Russia,” says Jonny Jacobsen, a Paris-based journalist who has been studying Scientology since the early 1990s.

“In Russia, Scientology has come face-to-face with an arbitrary system steeped in bad faith, changing the rules whenever expedient: savor that irony,” he wrote.

The standoff between Russia and the West also means that the ECHR can no longer fulfill its role as a watchdog, after a new law was passed giving Russian courts the right to overrule international courts’ decisions.

Kuropyatnik, meanwhile, is certain the church will survive, even if it loses its status as a religion. “The political atmosphere, and rabid fights against religious freedoms come and go. But the church will stay,” he says.

Here's the full article:
    http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/...acks-down-on-controversial-church/563545.html
    • Like Like x 3
  71. ^^^^^^^

Hilarious illustration from article

[IMG]
  72. anon8109 Member

The image may be funny but it also shows some things wrong with Russian democracy.

The article title is that the Russian government is cracking down on scientology, but then this image indicates a religious war pitting the Russian Orthodox church vs. Scientology (as a religion). That is wrong on so many levels.
  73. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  74. mnql1 Member

Russia’s Supreme Court dismisses complaint filed by Church of Scientology
    • Like Like x 4
  75. The Wrong Guy Member

Russia’s Supreme Court dismisses complaint filed by Church of Scientology | Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI)

The Russia’s Supreme Court has dismissed a complaint the Moscow Church of Scientology had lodged in connection to the Russian Justice Ministry refusal to register this organization’s charter, a court representative told RAPSI on Thursday.

“The complaint was returned to the petitioner without examination,” – the court representative noted. It was clarified that Church representatives tried to challenge a Moscow Izmaylovsky Court ruling, which had dismissed their complaint against the Justice Ministry decision.

In the course of a routine check of documents, the Russia’s Ministry of Justice has established that the charter of this faith-based organization was not in compliance with provisions of the federal law on freedom of religion, whereas the word “scientology” was registered as a trademark, whose owner is the US Religious Technology Center. In this connection, the Justice Ministry had first refused to register amendments to the charter, and later turned to the Moscow City Court requesting to dissolve the organization. The Moscow City Court has already banned the Moscow Church of Scientology and allowed it six months to complete the liquidation procedure. This ruling has been challenged in the Russia’s Supreme Court.

Dianetics and Scientology are a set of religious and philosophical ideas and practices that were put forth by L. Ron Hubbard in the US in the early 1950s.

A resolution passed in 1996 by the State Duma, the lower house of Russia’s parliament, classified the Church of Scientology as a destructive religious organization.

The Moscow Regional Court ruled in 2012 that some of Hubbard’s books be included on the Federal List of Extremist Literature and prohibited from distribution in Russia.

Source:
    http://rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20160505/276049048.html
    • Like Like x 2
  76. JohnnyRUClear Member

"returned to the petitioner without examination"

oh snap
  77. RightOn Member

indeed
  78. Aurora Member

Any updates?
  79. The Wrong Guy Member

Police Reportedly Search Scientology Church Offices In Moscow, St. Petersburg

Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) and municipal police have reportedly searched offices of the Church of Scientology in Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Law enforcement sources were quoted by several Russian news agencies on June 21 as saying the searches were part of an investigation into allegations of "illegal entrepreneurship."

However, there was no official confirmation of the investigation.

In November, a court in Moscow ruled that the Church of Scientology Moscow must close because it had been registered as a trademark rather than as a religious organization.

Scientologists have been trying to appeal the ruling at the Russian Supreme Court.

http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-police-search-scientology-offices/27811458.html

Members of Church of Scientology branch suspected of illegal business

The Federal Security Service (FSB) launched a criminal case against members of the St. Petersburg branch of the Church of Scientology suspected of engaging in illegal business activities, the FSB regional department’s spokesperson Natalia Voskresenskaya told RAPSI on Wednesday.

The FSB officers have conducted searches in St. Petersburg, Leningrad Region and Moscow, in offices and apartments of alleged participants of illegal activity, Voskresenskaya said. Documents supporting investigation’s theory that the Church of Scientology branch members had sold goods and services in violation of law were seized.

Investigators believe that the suspects’ activity had interregional nature.

http://rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20160621/276353824.html
    • Like Like x 3
  80. The Wrong Guy Member

FSB conducts searches over case of Church of Scientology's illegal activity

The Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) confirmed that its officials have conducted a number of searches in Moscow, St. Petersburg and the Leningrad region as part of the investigation into the case of illegal business activities of the Church of Scientology.

"As part of the investigation of this case FSB officials conducted simultaneous searches at 14 premises in Moscow, St. Petersburg and the Leningrad region in offices, financial institutions and housing of alleged participants in illegal activity," the press service of the department of the Russian Federal Security Service for St. Petersburg and the Leningrad region said.

During the searches law enforcement officials seized items and documents proving the version of sales of goods and services provided by the organizers of the Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg in violation of statutory norms and indicating the inter-regional nature of these illegal activities, the department said.

Investigative measures continue to be conducted.

For his part, Konstantin Serov, the head of the Nevsky district administration, in the territory of which the searches have been conducted at Babushkin Street, told Interfax that local residents complained about scientologists. "Local residents filed complaints; a criminal case has been opened. Today's operative measures of law enforcement officials have been a result of both these complaints and the criminal case. The information about illegal business activities, including property fraud, has been proven true," he said.

If a court declares the scientologists' activities illegal, the organization will be evicted from the premises, Serov said. "If it is proven that they conducted criminal activity, the district administration will take any effort for this organization to be closed and their activities there to be ceased," he said.

A criminal case has been opened under the Article 'illegal entrepreneurship' on the grounds of the carrying out of business activities without registration associated with derivation of revenues in an especially large amount.

It was reported earlier with reference to a source that a number of officials of the Church of Scientology have been brought for questioning to law enforcement agencies in St. Petersburg, and their procedural status will be established following interviews. The source said that the individuals in question are not members of the congregation, whose number reached several hundred at the beginning of the search of the site at 3 Babushkin Street.

https://rbth.com/news/2016/06/21/fs...hurch-of-scientologys-illegal-activity_604977
    • Like Like x 2
  81. anon8109 Member

Russia has been searching for years for evidence that incriminates the scientology corporation.

Shouldn't they have already found enough damning evidence of fraud and medical abuse by now?
  82. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 1
  83. The Wrong Guy Member

Russian security service conducts raids on Church of Scientology | The Guardian

Russia’s security service has raided over a dozen locations linked to the Church of Scientology in the latest step of a long-running battle between authorities and the US-based organisation.

The Federal Security Service (FSB) said officers “conducted simultaneous searches” at 14 addresses in Moscow and St Petersburg as part of an apparent investigation into alleged illegal business dealings by the Church of Scientology in Russia’s second city.

Continued here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/21/scientology-russia-church-police
    • Like Like x 3
  84. Newsweek: Russian Scientology Centers Raided in Criminal Probe

http://europe.newsweek.com/russian-scientology-centers-raided-criminal-probe-472763?rm=eu

Russian Scientology Centers Raided in Criminal Probe

Authorities suspect the centers of illegal business activity.

By Damien Sharkov On 6/21/16 at 4:33 PM

Russia has launched a large-scale operation against suspected illegal activities on premises belonging to the Church of Scientology.

Law enforcement officials carried out raids on Scientology centers in Moscow and St. Petersburg on Tuesday morning in an apparent crackdown on suspected “illegal enterprise.”

The St. Petersburg branch of Russia’s Federal Security Services (FSB) told Radio Baltika that a criminal investigation has been launched on a Scientology group in the city, following a raid of the group’s center on Babushkin street.

The announcement came as a raid also occurred on Moscow’s main Scientology center on Taganskaya Street, where authorities blocked off the entrance and instigated a search on the property’s premises, Russian news agency Interfax reported.

Video of the St. Petersburg raid has been posted online by Radio Baltika, with images published by other local media.

• Like Like x 4
  85. Moscow TImes:10 Arrested in St. Petersburg as Police Search Scientology Churches

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/...olice-search-scientology-churches/573113.html

Ten people were detained Tuesday after police searched the office of St. Petersburg’s scientology organization, an unidentified source in law enforcement told the RIA Novosti news agency.

Large-scale searches were carried out Tuesday in the Moscow and St. Petersburg churches of Scientology, another source in law enforcement told the Interfax news agency earlier on Tuesday.

Police officers have blocked the entrance to the Moscow Church of Scientology, located on Taganskaya Ulitsa in the city center and no one is allowed in or out, according to eyewitnesses.

Searches are believed to be connected with a major crackdown on Scientology in Russia and a criminal case launched against the church over “illegal business activity,” Interfax reported.

The Church was unavailable for comment when contacted by The Moscow Times.

• Like Like x 3
  86. The news has reached Lebanon courtesy of Agence France Presse. I was not aware of the information highlighted below.

Lebanon News Star: Russian raids targeted Church of Scientology

https://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/W...ian-raids-targeted-church-of-scientology.ashx

Agence France Presse

MOSCOW: Russia's security service said Tuesday it had raided over a dozen locations linked to the Church of Scientology in the latest step of a long-running battle between authorities and the U.S.-based organization.

The Federal Security Service (FSB) said officers "conducted simultaneous searches" at 14 addresses in Moscow and Saint Petersburg as part of an apparent probe into alleged illegal business dealings by the Church of Scientology in Russia's second city.

• Like Like x 3
  87. Interfax: Law enforcement officials taking passport details of Church of Scientology members in Moscow

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=13040

Law enforcement officials taking passport details of Church of Scientology members in Moscow

Moscow, June 21, Interfax - Law enforcement officials are taking passport information from Church of Scientology members inside the main church building in Moscow, an Interfax correspondent reported.

According to the correspondent, a police bus is parked near the church's building at 9 Taganskaya Street and police officials and individuals in plainclothes, who refused to state their departmental affiliation, are blocking the building's entrances.

Several dozen Church of Scientology members are currently inside the building. Two men in plainclothes at a desk by the entrance from Taganskaya Street are taking passport information of every member prior to permission of their departure.

• Like Like x 3
  88. Interfax: Searches underway in Moscow and St. Petersburg to suppress unlawful activities of Church of Scientology (updated)

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=13039

Searches underway in Moscow and St. Petersburg to suppress unlawful activities of Church of Scientology (updated)

St. Petersburg/Moscow, June 21, Interfax - Large-scale investigative measures concerning the activity of the Church of Scientology are underway in Moscow and St. Petersburg on Tuesday, a source in law enforcement agencies told Interfax.

"Large-scale investigative measures and searches are being conducted as part of efforts to suppress the unlawful activities of the Church of Scientology and as part of a criminal case opened on a count of 'illegal entrepreneurship'," he said.

These measures are being taken both in Moscow and St. Petersburg, he said.

Interfax has so far been unable to obtain official confirmation of the report.

The press service of the Russian Federal Security Service's branch for St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region has declined to comment.

An eyewitness told Interfax that officers of law enforcement agencies had arrived at the main scientologists' office in Moscow, located in the city's Taganskaya Street.

A police bus is parked near the building, all entrances to the office have been blocked and worshippers and other visitors are not being allowed inside, he said.

• Like Like x 2
  89. The Wrong Guy Member

This article from RT includes a video that is the same as the one posted above, but slighter better quality, and without the watermark.

FSB raids 14 Scientology offices in Russia in money laundering probe

Quote:

The Federal Security Service has conducted 14 simultaneous raids on the Church of Scientology offices in Moscow and St. Petersburg. It seized documents that could shed light on the organization’s illegal financial dealings in Russia.

The simultaneous raid across the two cities follow the November 2015 court decision in Moscow that ruled that the Church of Scientology did not comply with federal laws on freedom of religion, as it used its trademark for financial gain.

The ruling backed by the Justice Ministry said that since the Church of Scientology had registered its name as a US trademark, it can’t call itself a religious entity. As the Russian court banned the activities of the Moscow branch, the organization threatened to appeal the decision claiming that it violates the rights of its parishioners.

Raids on Tuesday were carried out as part of the ongoing investigation into the organization’s alleged money laundering activities, and in particular into one member of the community, who is being probed over allegations of real estate fraud, that amounted to 130 million rubles ($2 million), according to RIA sources.

In April, authorities detained Ekaterina Zaborskikh for allegedly stealing large sums from apartment buyers in St. Petersburg. Investigators believe that between 2012 and 2014 Zaborskikh through a construction company promised to build “affordable castles,” which were never delivered. Instead, the money was redirected through the Church of Scientology as donations. Detectives believe that some of the stolen funds were transferred to the organization’s account in Moscow.

Looking for more evidence into the financial activity of the group, on Tuesday the FSB “conducted simultaneous searches” at 14 addresses in Moscow and St Petersburg.

During the raids the security services seized “objects and documents” confirming that the church’s agents in St. Petersburg offered goods and services in violation of Russian law, the FSB said in a press release. The property seized in the raids includes financial documents, hard drives and notebooks of organization members, a source in the security service told RIA.

Such illegal activity, the FSB said, was carried out at an inter-regional level. While the investigation continues, authorities have launched a criminal case into the “illegal entrepreneurial activity” of the church’s members.

Russian news agencies reported that a number of members of the church were brought in for questioning. At least 10 were reportedly detained in St. Petersburg.

Scientologists receive revenue by providing “consultation services” in fields such as education, “without any official registration,” therefore evading taxes, a source in the security services told RIA.

Spokesperson for the Church, Nataliya Alekseeva, has condemned the raids, saying the Scientologists are “outraged by the position of the investigating authorities.” The representative stressed that the organization is working “for the good of the country” by sending out its members to tackle the social problems of the country.

https://www.rt.com/news/347693-russia-scientology-offices-raids/
    • Like Like x 4
  90. The Wrong Guy Member

If it’s Russia, it must be a raid on Scientology

By Tony Ortega, June 22, 2016

Excerpt:

What’s becoming clear, our experts tell us, is that President Vladimir Putin wants Scientology out of Russia. But on the other side, Scientology leader David Miscavige has found in Russia a steady stream of new recruits to help staff his faltering facilities in the US, particularly the Flag Land Base in Clearwater, Florida. And our experts tell us that Scientology has a special appeal for Russians because they associate it with America and Hollywood.

While it’s refreshing to hear Scientology described in the Russian media as a destructive business masquerading as a religion — because it’s true — Putin’s heavy-handed methods have run afoul of the European Court of Human Rights in the past, which has sided with Scientology.

We’re going to go out on a limb and make a prediction for what’s coming for Scientology in Russia: More raids.

http://tonyortega.org/2016/06/22/cl...rowd-for-scientology-disconnection-billboard/
    • Like Like x 1
  91. Quentinanon Member

Vladimir Putin is rightfully concerned about scientology operating in Russia and rightfully determined to close their operations down.

giphy.gif
    • Like Like x 2
  92. Vladimir Putin is worse than Scientology
  93. And your bff Marty Rathbun is worse than Putin.
  94. Quentinanon Member

If you really believe that, you have never been in scientology.
  95. JohnnyRUClear Member

It's debatable. What seems obvious to me, though, is that if Scientology had the power Putin does, it would be worse than Putin is now. But, what do I know? I've never even been to Russia.

Anyway, Scientology, enjoy your rAIDS -- and keep those delicious tears coming.
    • Like Like x 2
  96. Quentinanon Member

"Dispose of them quietly and without sorrow."
    "Of course, ruin them utterly if you can."
    "Never fear to hurt another in a just cause."
    • Like Like x 1
  97. another123 Member

98. mnql1 Member

Translation of a Russian article posted on June 24, 2016 on the life.ru website:

https://life.ru/t/новости/423967/fsb_obyskala_pir_bank_po_dielu_saiientologhov

(The life.ru website shows photos of the seized cash, of the ceiling in which the cash was found, and of the guns and counterfeit weapons permit.)
    • Like Like x 6
  99. anon8109 Member

According to investigators, Vitaly Paskal, Chairman of the Board of PIR Bank (Bank of industrial and investment settlements) is the main sponsor of the Church of Scientology in Russia, and the bank was founded specifically to meet the religious organization's needs.

Is there any corroborating evidence that this is true?

It wouldn't be the first time that Putin's Russia falsely accused a political opponent of being a homo novis in order to justify denying them human rights and in order to unjustly persecute them. The same happened a year or two ago with a pro-West Ukranian politician.
    • Like Like x 1
  100. The Wrong Guy Member

16 million rubles works out to $245,280 according to this site:

http://www.xe.com/currency/rub-russian-ruble
  101. DeathHamster Member

If true, that sounds much more serious than the usual door-bashing excuse.
    • Like Like x 1

102. I was never in, It was not about the utter destruction of ones mind. Just scale
  103. Quentinanon Member

"The impact on banker Vitaly Paskal's legal status has not been determined. Moreover, immediately after the searches, he complained to the police about the disappearance of 90 million rubles."

The FSB should search his mattress.
    • Like Like x 2
  104. The following version of the story shows a photo of PC folders, including at least two that are clearly labeled &quot;Purif.&quot; I can't read the label on the photo that is in Russian. Is is really possible that they kept PC folders at the bank? Or, more likely, did this particular website illustrate the article with a picture of PC folders taken at another location?

Google translation:

FSB says Moscow &quot;PIR Bank&quot; main sponsor of Scientology

http://riafan.ru/531925-fsb-schitaet-moskovskii-pir-bank-glavnym-sponsorom-saientologov

View attachment orig-710x3991466755588saentologiobysk-1466755568.j
  105. Owners of PIR Bank.
    I thought I'd screen-capture this in case the website goes down or is scrubbed.

Code:
    http://www.pirbank.ru/en/about/owners/

Owners of the Bank

Participants in PIR Bank, llc.

Full and abbreviated name of entity
    name of person

Participatory share (percentage of votes to the total of shares)

Closed joint-stock company «Financial and industrial Concern «System technologies» (CJSC «SYSTECH») 0.9

Vitaly Paskal
    Citizen of the RF 17.95

Leonid Bolkhovitinov
    Citizen of the RF 14.95

Elena Zubrilina
    Citizen of the RF 9.6

Aram Ekavyan
    Citizen of the RF 15.876868133333

Eduard Dzharimov
    Citizen of the RF 19.4864652

Yury Monastyrsky
    Citizen of the RF 15.5864652

Roman Myagkikh
    Citizen of the RF 2.133333333333

Vladimir Zubrilin
    Citizen of the RF 3.516868133333

PIR-OwnersOfTheBank.PNG

EDITED TO ADD:

We know we have the right bank because one of the owners, Vitaly Paskal, is mentioned in the article about the raid on the bank:

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/moscow-court-bans-church-of-scientology.130741/page-3#post-2586172
    • Like Like x 3
  106. PIR Bank - Management.

To preserve names for later investigation.

No time for screenshot now. Most important thing is to preserve the information.

Code:
    http://www.pirbank.ru/en/about/management/

Management

Information about members of the Board of PIR Bank, llc. :

Official capacity

Name

The date of election to the Board of the Bank

Term of powers under the Charter of the Bank

Chairman of the Board
    Vitaly Paskal
    22/12/1995.The Chairman of the Board since 17/02/2003 (minutes of General meeting of participants ?? «PROMINVESTRASCHET» LTD ? 33–2)
    Unlimited

Chief accountant
    Olga Kolosova
    29/10/2003. Reelected for the new term 01/03/2012 (minutes № 001/03/2012-SD)
    Until 01/03/2017

Deputy Chairman of the Board
    Pavel Lisitsyn
    01/09/2003. Reelected for the new term 01/03/2012 (minutes № 001/03/2012-SD)
    Until 01/03/2017

Elena Shlogina
    22/12/1995. Reelected for the new term 01/03/2012 (minutes № 001/03/2012-SD)
    Until 01/03/2017

Elena Krasnova
    14/08/2006. Reelected for the new term 01/03/2012 (minutes № 001/03/2012-SD)
    Until 01/03/2017

Ilya Koshkin
    21/06/2010. Reelected for the new term 01/03/2012 (minutes № 001/03/2012-SD)
    Until 01/03/2017

Peter Golovin
    18/01/2011. Reelected for the new term 01/03/2012 (minutes № 001/03/2012-SD)
    Until 01/03/2017

Information about members of the Council of directors of PIR Bank, llc., elected under the decision of General meeting of participants dated 04/04/2013.

Category of member

Name

Full name of legal person which is represented

Share in charter capital

Citizenship, residence

Head of the Council of directors
    Leonid Bolkhovitinov
    independent
    14,95%
    Russia, Moscow

Member of the Council of directors
    Aram Ekavyan
    independent
    15,876868133333%
    Russia, Moscow

Vladimir Zubrilin
    elected under the offer of participant – natural person
    3,516868133333%
    Russia, Moscow

Vitaly Paskal
    independent
    17,95%
    Russia, Moscow

Term of powers of the Council of directors under the Charter of the Bank is 2 years.

• Like Like x 1
  107. PIR Bank - Details.

Code:
    http://www.pirbank.ru/en/about/details/

Details

Bank of industrial and investment settlements, Limited Liability Company

PIR Bank, llc.

3 – 1, Novinsky boulevard, Moscow, 121099, Russia

c/a 30101810945250000491 in the Division 3 of Moscow

RCBIC 044525491

General Classifier of Enterprises and Organizations 29287152

Tax number 7708031739

Tax Registration Reason Code 775001001

ARCPS 45286552000

1027739735100 the date of record in the Uniform State Register of Legal Entities is December 09, 2002

Payment instructions for operations in foreign currencies:

PIR Bank,llc., Moscow, Russia, SWIFT: BPIRRUMM

List of main correspondent banks:

Currency
    Bank
    SWIFT Code
    Account number

USD
    RAIFFEISEN BANK INTERNATIONAL AG, VIENNA, AUSTRIA
    RZBAATWW
    070-55.094.767

EUR
    RZBAATWW
    001-55.094.767

EUR
    VTB Bank (Deutschland) AG, Frankfurt/Main, Germany
    OWHBDEFF

GBP
    RZBAATWW
    083-55.094.767

GBP
    OWHBDEFF

CNY
    GAZPROMBANK (JOINT - STOCK COMPANY), Moscow, Russia
    GAZPRUMM

AMD
    GAZPROMBANK (JOINT - STOCK COMPANY), Moscow, Russia
    GAZPRUMM

DKK
    OWHBDEFF

• Like Like x 1
  108. PIR Bank - History.

Code:
    http://www.pirbank.ru/en/about/history/

History

Bank of industrial and investment settlements (PIR Bank, llc.) has been working on the bank market in Russia for 18 since January 20, 1994. PIR Bank, llc. has the General banking licence ? 2655, and it is also the member of the system of deposit insurance (Certificate ? 284 dated December 09, 2004).

Since the date of foundation the Bank successfully conducts its professional activity in spite of crises in the financial market of Russia over the past period of time.

The result of it is the high rate of clients confidence to Bank, recognition of complete professionalism and competence by partners, stable growth financial indexes.

The Bank prevents violation of financial obligations to clients that is the validation of selected course, established priority and the based principles of Bank’s activity:

- Reliability;

- Openness;

- Personal service;

- Professionalism.

The Bank is a member of Association of Russian Banks, Moscow Banking Union, International payment system VISA International.

Financial soundness of PIR Bank, llc. is confirmed by one of the leading national rating agency «??&?», which had assigned the rating ?++ to the Bank.

The Bank offers a wide range of financial services including cash and settlement services, encashment, crediting, deposit transactions, documentary operations, production and servicing of plastic cards, individual banking safes and other banking services.

The crowning glory of the Bank is the vault of safe deposit boxes equipped on the highest class of security for safe deposit boxes.

We wait for you at the Bank office.

Our watchword is «Sunny days more!»

109. Possible Scientology connection for PIR Bank Chief Accountant Olga Kolosova.
    Possible Scientology connection for PIR Bank Chief Accountant Olga Kolosova.

At first the connection may seem tenuous. On the other hand, it appears unlikely to be coincidental. Let me walk you through the steps.

Renaissance Speakers is Toastmasters District 52 in Los Angeles. See:
    Code:
    http://renaissancespeakers.org/
    The About page for Renaissance Speakers states, "The Renaissance Speakers is an award-winning and prominent Toastmasters club hosted by the Church of Scientology Celebrity Centre International in Hollywood, California. Join us this weekend for a little "Saturday Night Live on Sunday Morning!" at Celebrity Centre, in the Theatre, at 5930 Franklin Ave., Hollywood, CA., 90028, from 9:00am to Noon, each and every Sunday. ALL ARE WELCOME!" See:
    Code:
    http://renaissancespeakers.org/about/
    If there was any doubt that the Church of Scientology controls Renaissance Speakers, the Renaissance Speakers website features, "A Letter from L. Ron Hubbard." See:
    Code:
    http://renaissancespeakers.org/about/hubbard-letter/
    An October 26, 2014 article on the Renaissance Speakers website notes:

Code:
    http://renaissancespeakers.org/news-richard-stewart-wins-humorous-speech-contest/2552/

Renaissance Speakers Olga Kolosova and Richard Stewart both made the club proud by their respective performances in the Division D Evaluation Contest and the Humorous Speech Contest. The competition was fierce and Richard prevailed to win the 1st Place trophy! He will represent the club in the District Contest to be held Friday, November 14, 2014 during the District 52 Conference in Burbank.

Obviously, the two Olga Kolosovas may not be the same person. Further, even if they are, Olga Kolosova's participation in Renaissance Speakers at the Church of Scientology Celebrity Centre does not necessarily mean she is a member of the Church of Scientology. It could all be a coincidence.
    • Like Like x 2
  110. Not a Scientology connection, but it appears Yury Monastyrsky may be the lead named partner is what appears to be a major Russian law firm.

The Banki Ru website notes (Google translation):

http://www.banki.ru/banks/engbanks/bank/?id=187049

At present, the bank's shareholders are Eduard Dzharimov (19.49% of the charter capital), IIBS management board chairman Vitaly Pascal (18.85%), IIBS board member, Bank Forstadt majority shareholder and Manolium Group owner Aram Ekavian (15.88%); co-founder of the Fund of MGIMO Graduates and law firm Monastyrsky, Zyuba, Stepanov and Partners Yury Monastyrsky (15.59%), IIBS board chairman and co-founder of no-profit partnership of individual developers Lesniye Dali - 2 Leonid Bolkhovitinov (14.95% ), Elena Zubrilina (9.60%), IIBS board members Vladimir Zubrilin (3.52%, Director of the Moscow International Center of Entrepreneurship) and Investment Management Group general director Roman Myagkikh (2.13%).

MONASTYRSKY, ZYUBA, STEPANOV, & PARTNERS (MZS)

https://www.mzs.ru/en/

Yuri Monastyrsky

https://www.mzs.ru/en/partners/?id=4

A founder of MZS has extremely broad experience in Dispute Resolution, Securities and Finance, Intellectual Property, Taxation, Financial Services, Insolvency, Telecoms, Media & Technology, Real Estate, Anti-trust, Transport, White-collar Crime as well as general corporate law.

Yuri is a graduate of the Moscow State Institute of International Relations. He also holds a Candidate of Law degree from the Russian Academy of Sciences’ Institute of State and Law. Yuri is a member of the Moscow Bar.

111. Quentinanon Member

I wonder if these folks started an elaborate money laundering/intelligence gathering operation and the FSB caught on.
  112. The Wrong Guy Member

There's nothing new in this article, but it will be seen by many in the UK:

Russian security service raids dozens of Church of Scientology offices amid probe into money laundering and illegal business dealings
    • Federal Security Service raided dozens of Church of Scientology locations
    • Came as part of a probe into church for alleged illegal business dealings
    • Russia's justice ministry has long been pushing to prohibit Scientology
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ney-laundering-illegal-business-dealings.html
    • Like Like x 2
  113. Quentinanon Member

"Money laundering and illegal business dealings."
    Well, yes.
    How can that not be scientology?
    • Like Like x 1
  114. RightOn Member

115. Random guy Member

Hm, guns, cash and illegal surveillance equipment. Looks like they reeled in a large fish this time.
    • Like Like x 2
  116. Quentinanon Member

I think the FSB knows who they are dealing with and expected it.
    Meanwhile, the U.S. government still has their heads in the sand.
    • Like Like x 3
  117. Russian Supreme Court upholds ban on Church of Scientology Moscow

MOSCOW, June 29 (RAPSI) – Russia’s Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld a lower court’s ruling to ban the Church of Scientology Moscow, RAPSI reports from the courtroom.
    In November, the Moscow City Court granted a motion filed by the Russian Justice Ministry and ordered the liquidation of the branch of the Church of Scientology within six months.
    The Justice Ministry found during an audit that the charter of the Church of Scientology Moscow runs counter to the federal law on the freedom of religion, and that the word “Scientology” is a registered trademark of the US Religious Technology Center. Following the audit, the ministry requested that the Moscow City Court outlaw the Church of Scientology Moscow.
    The Church of Scientology Moscow appealed against the ruling.
    On June 21, the Federal Security Service (FSB) officers conducted searches in Moscow’s and St. Petersburg’s offices of the Church of Scientology in connection with a criminal case launched against members of the St. Petersburg branch of organization suspected of engaging in illegal business activities.
    More at source - http://rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20160629/276413434.html
  118. Using the search mnql1 so helpfully provided in the Kazakhstan thread -- (Нарконон OR Дианетика OR саентология OR саентологии OR саентолог OR саентологи OR саентологов OR сайентология OR сайентологии OR сайентолог OR сайентологи OR сайентологов) - and Google translation, I am finding a number of news stories dated today indicating that the Supreme Court of Russia has affirmed the order of the lower Moscow Court banning the Church of Scientology of Moscow, ordered that it be liquidated, and ordered that the legal organization terminated within six months:

https://rg.ru/2016/06/29/verhovnyj-sud-rf-priznal-zakonnoj-likvidaciiu-saentologicheskoj-cerkvi.html

https://rg.ru/2016/06/29/vs-priznal-zakonnym-reshenie-o-likvidacii-cerkvi-saentologov-v-moskve.html

http://riafan.ru/533287-verhovnyi-sud-postavil-tochku-v-sporah-o-cerkvi-saentologii-moskvy

http://izvestia.ru/news/620085

https://www.bfm.ru/news/326923

http://mynewsonline24.ru/inopressa/...ku-v-sporah-o-cerkvi-saentologii-stolici.html

http://mirror651.graniru.info/Society/Law/m.252666.html

http://mirror651.graniru.info/Society/Law/m.252666.html

• Like Like x 2
  119. The Wrong Guy Member

Here's that search in Google, filtered to the past 24 hours:

https://encrypted.google.com/search...олог OR сайентологи OR сайентологов&tbs=qdr:d
  120. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology in Russia - It's 1984 All Over Again

Published by Chris Shelton on June 30, 2016

Russia has been taking on Scientology for the past 20 years in its usual authoritarian manner, banning its books and practicing thought policing.

In this video, I go over the history of Scientology in Russia and alarming recent events Putin is taking to counter terrorism by taking away everyone's basic rights.
    • Like Like x 2
  121. The Wrong Guy Member

Russian Church welcomes shutdown of "Moscow church of scientology" | Interfax

Quote:

The Russian Orthodox Church has welcomed a ruling by the Russian Supreme Court which yesterday upheld the legality of a shutdown of the "Church of Scientology of Moscow".

"The upholding by the Supreme Court of the legality of the shutdown of the so-called Church of Scientology is seen as an important precedent demonstrating the state's determination not to recognize as religious those organizations that use people's religious feeling for malign purposes," Russian Orthodox Church spokesman Vakhtang Kipshidze told Interfax-Religion.

The ruling in the scientologists' case is not a breach of the religious freedom since "it was proved in court that the very activity of this organization is an affront to human freedom as such," Kipshidze said.

The Russian Orthodox Church regularly comes into contact with people whose membership in totalitarian sects left them deeply wounded spiritually and mentally, ruined their lives and happiness, the spokesman said. "This is why we see the decision against scientology as one that is directed at protecting the freedom and dignity of Russian citizens," Kipshidze said.

On June 29 the Russian Supreme Court issued a definitive ruling upholding the shutdown of the "Church of Scientology of Moscow" for incompliance with the requirements for a religious organization.

The lower court held that the activity of the religious organization was rather of a social and for-profit nature, which is inconsistent with the objectives of a religious organization. "Meanwhile, the organization receives unjustified tax preferences from the state," according to the case files.

Source: http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=13063
    • Like Like x 5
  122. anon8109 Member

The Russian Orthodox church is behaving like it wants to be the official religion of Russia, receiving special privileges from the government that no other religion in Russia is supposed to get.

This will not end well.
  123. The Wrong Guy Member

VIDEO: A look inside Scientology’s program to rally Russian members after police raids

By Tony Ortega, June 17, 2016

Quote:

On Sundays, Rod Keller stops by to bring us a collection of things Scientologists have shared during the week on social media. After avoiding the Internet for many years, Scientologists now share things freely online. And this week, Rod found something really special.

It’s an hour long video from Russia, where Scientology has been going through a very tough time. The Moscow org has been raided multiple times by police forces in the last couple of years, and that’s bad news for Scientology leader David Miscavige, who relies on Russia for cheap labor at his facilities like the Flag Land Base in Clearwater, Florida. So what does Miscavige do to counter what’s going on in Russia? Rod, give us a description of what we see in this video.

Rod: This is a briefing given this week by Lynn Irons at the Moscow Ideal Org, with translation by Sea Org member Vladimir Kuropyatnik. Kuropyatnik has been quoted in Russian newspapers as the “founder” of the Moscow org, which may mean he is the HCO Exec Secretary. The briefing addresses public (i.e., non-staff) members at the org in the wake of the June raids by the Federal Security Service in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Russian officials seized documents that may indicate Scientology is violating a prohibition on their activities handed down by a Moscow City Court late last year.

Irons joined Scientology in 1973 in the San Francisco area at the Davis Mission. He later was the Mission Holder at the San Francisco Mission prior to the 1982 Mission Holder’s Conference in which missions were taken back from their owners by Scientology. Many members left the church at that time, but Irons became involved in WISE (World Institute of Scientology Enterprises) and today is one of the leaders of Business Forward, one of the largest WISE consultant groups in countries with Russian speaking populations. After working as ED in Tampa for several years, in 2011 Irons became the Executive Director of the Tampa Ideal Org.

In 1992 he, along with the late Geoff Barton and former GO executive Arte Maren, became “pioneers” to bring Scientology to Russia. “Pioneer” is a Scientology term of art to describe the first to travel to a particular country to set up groups or missions.

The video has four main sections. First, he establishes his bona fides in Scientology and in disseminating in Russia. Then he discusses recent events in Russia and says not to worry because Scientology always wins. He then compares the situation in Russia to the flap in Clearwater over the 2009 publication of “The Truth Rundown” in the St. Petersburg Times, and finally he describes the power of postulates in which anything is possible, from shrinking your feet to re-growing hair, to having Scientology continue to spread throughout Russia.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/07/17/vi...-to-rally-russian-members-after-police-raids/
    • Like Like x 1
  124. Quentinanon Member

Hey, Chris Shelton. The scientology organization is authoritarian in the extreme, and if Miscavige and the osabots had the political power, they would shut down any group that didn't agree with them and exterminate individuals who opposed them. Scientology engages in thought policing as a matter of operating procedure. Perhaps you should stop the bawwing about their getting a full course of their own medicine.
    • Like Like x 2
  125. Scientology vs. Pravda

Pravda Report: Scientology vs. Pravda.Ru

http://www.pravdareport.com/society/stories/20-07-2016/135077-church_of_scientology-0/

58453.jpeg

Representatives of one of the largest and most notorious religious sects in the world (in fact, a dishonest commercial enterprise, as evidenced by numerous journalistic investigations and findings of commissions of various levels), the Church of Scientology of Moscow, still pursues traditional methods of showing influence on those who dare to criticize the organization.

A legal representative of Scientologists, Sergei Korzikov, uses such platforms as YouTube to censor news reports about the ruling of the Moscow City Court (upheld by the Supreme Court) about the liquidation of the Church of Scientology in Moscow.

This time, members of the movement paid attention to our publication. Following a complaint from Mr. Korzikov, Pravda.Ru received a warning from YouTube, where the Pravda.Ru video channel carries its video materials. The video about the decision of the Supreme Court to eliminate the religious organization contained only a factual message and did not have any comments in it. However, the video was banned for demonstration due to violation of &quot;copyright.&quot;

Question: If an official representative of the liquidated church takes lies and fraudulent information as evidence, how should the society treat such an organization?

Actually, the society has already made its conclusions about the &quot;work&quot; of representatives of the sect. Criminal actions against critics of the sect imply not only threats, but also murder. Willing to dig for any negative information about the Hubbardist movement, its adherents do not shun the variety of methods of putting pressure on journalists, both legal and psychological ones. The sect's common practice of psycho-terror is projected into real life.

The Russian authorities view the movement of Scientologists as an organization that poses a threat to the national security of our country and represents a real danger to physical and mental health of Russian citizens. Anticipating their agony, the Scientologists have started showing tougher reactions to any criticism against them.

Pravda.Ru does not intend to leave the actions of the Scientologists against our publication without proper attention. Any attempt of censorship or pressure on their part will entail an appropriate response.

On July 19, on the basis of the complaint filed by legal representative of the Church of Scientology (the organization is banned in Moscow), Sergei Korzikov, the video channel of Pravda.Ru received a warning from YouTube.

Is this not an attempt to censor media? Pravda.Ru asked an expert opinion from lawyer and human rights activist, member of the Expert Council of the Moscow City Duma Committee for Urban Planning, State Ownership and Land Use, Sergei Selivankin, to comment on the situation.

Pravda.Ru: YouTube handles complaints negligibly - expert

http://www.pravdareport.com/news/society/stories/20-07-2016/135079-youtube_scientology-0/

The decision of the Moscow City Court on the elimination of the Church of Scientology of Moscow came into force after it was upheld by the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation. The appeal from the organization against the court ruling was dismissed. However, YouTube still issued a strike to the Pravda.Ru video channel on the basis of the complaint from the scientological organization that was legally banned in Moscow.

In addition to the warning, the video hosting service banned the demonstration of the informational video that contained only a news message about the fact that the Supreme Court approved a legal act to eliminate the religious authority in Moscow. The video that contained no ratings and comments was banned for violation of some &quot;copyright.&quot;

Is this not an attempt to censor media? Pravda.Ru asked an expert opinion from a representative of the Fund for the Development of the Civil Society, Stanislav Apetyan.

• Like Like x 3
  126. mnql1 Member

The 105-second June 30 Pravda video removed by YouTube because of Scientology's copyright complaint can still be viewed at the link below.

https://ok.ru/video/86769928746

The report essentially states that Russia's supreme court affirmed the dissolution verdict which was reached on the grounds that the Church of Scientology is a business and that its trademarks contravene Russia’s Law on Freedom of Conscience.

The YouTube link for the deleted video is
    • Like Like x 2
  127. The Wrong Guy Member

This article was published today, in Russian.

В офисе екатеринбургских сайентологов прошли обыски с участием ФСБ и ОМОН | Вечерние ведомости

http://veved.ru/news/76234-v-ofise-...ov-proshli-obyski-s-uchastiem-fsb-i-omon.html

Here's a translation, from Google Translate. Quote:

In the office Yekaterinburg Scientologists were searched with the participation of the FSB and OMON

In the office of Scientology in Yekaterinburg held with searches involving employees of Federal Security Service of the Sverdlovsk region, investigators of the Center for Extremism Prevention Research Affairs of Russia in Sverdlovsk region and their colleagues from the Department of Economic Security and anti-corruption of the regional police cupola.

As it became known veved.ru, seizure of documents occurred at the power accompanied by riot police on July 26 at the headquarters of NP "Ural Distribution Center of Dianetics and Scientology", located in the building number 86 on the street Belinsky. The event started early in the morning and ended late in the evening - the building operatives carried several boxes of financial documents.

According to the publication source in the near future, "the clergy-Hubbardists" may become defendants in a criminal case under Part. 2 tbsp. 171 of the Criminal Code (illegal business).

According to preliminary data, adherents scientists suspect that they are doing business without a license for educational activity, drawing revenue on a large scale.

It should be noted that similar searches a month ago held in St. Petersburg, Moscow and Leningrad region.

As previously reported, the Scientology church - one of the most aggressive totalitarian sects, which followers are about 500 thousand Russians.

Scientology came up with an American science fiction Ron Hubbard, has repeatedly been accused of fraud. The new religion arose at the intersection of theology and pseudoscience invented. The result was "Scientology" ( "knowledge of knowledge"), with the task of making the motion.
    • Like Like x 3
  128. DeathHamster Member

Maybe, but it doesn't mean that they're wrong about Scientology.
    • Like Like x 2
  129. Quentinanon Member

I think Putin understands the dangers of the scientology organization much better than Obama.
    You don't have to agree with all his policies or actions to see that he is doing the right thing about getting rid of the criminal organization in Russia.
    • Like Like x 3
  130. DeathHamster Member

From the Russian point of view the west not only allows an obvious dangerous scam to keep operating, but the US Department of State baaaws every time Scientology is raided.
    • Like Like x 1
  131. Quentinanon Member

The U.S. Department of State does not have a good record of spotting dangerous circumstances with bad strategic consequences.
    Also, I think many other countries share this realistic view of scientology.
  132. sometimes I have problem with russian politics but I do love the way they act with scilons
    heard a lot of russian slaves are in the sea org in clearwater and los angeles cheaper than haitians ?
  133. The Wrong Guy Member

Here's another new article, in Russian.

После визита сотрудников ФСБ из Екатеринбурга исчезли сайентологи - Новости | 66.ru

66.ru/news/society/187760/

Here's a translation, from Google Translate. Quote:

After the visit of the FSB from Yekaterinburg disappeared Scientologists

Searches in the office of the followers of Ron Hubbard's teachings passed last week. Who is organizing the phone is locked, and the premises are empty.

Yekaterinburg Scientologists stopped their activity in the city. The followers of the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard closed the missionary department, left the office in a building on Belinsky and disconnect the phone. According to Portal 66.ru own source, the organization withdrew after the searches were held at their office.

The FSB and the Interior Ministry paid a visit to Scientology in the beginning of last week, from an office in the center of Yekaterinburg, they seized documents. Events organized in the framework of the All-Russian campaign, which began about a month ago. According to some reports, searches took place because of the economic activities of the organization, it is now solved the question of criminal proceedings.

Recall that in April, the office "Ural Center of Dianetics and Scientology spread" was opened in the city center. On this occasion, in the capital of the Urals was a large-scale congress of Scientology.
    • Like Like x 1
  134. We were reminded of Gerry’s “tour” of the Yekaterinburg Scientology center in 2002: http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50grand/media/russia/ekaterinburg-anniversary-tour.html

Here’s his report: http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50grand/media/russia/index.html From that report:

And photo gallery of his trip: http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50grand/media/russia/ekaterinburg-conference.html

The Scientologists’ 2003 Application for Charges against Alexander Dvorkin, Gerry and others: http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50grand/cult/osa-app-crim-charges.html

Gerry’s response: http://www.gerryarmstrong.org/50grand/writings/armstrong-response-scn-app-2003-03-19.html
    • Like Like x 2
  135. The Wrong Guy Member

In the wake of raids, Scientology’s sneaky consulting front shrinks markedly in Russia

By Rod Keller, September 18, 2016

Quote:

The World Institute of Scientology Enterprises (WISE) will hold its 20th annual conference for Russian and Russian-speaking Scientologists in Moscow from September 28-30. The conference is at the Cosmos Hotel, the largest hotel in Russia, with over 1,700 rooms. Built in 1980 for the Summer Olympics, the hotel was re-dedicated in 2005 in honor of French General Charles de Gaulle to celebrate the victory over Germany in the Great Patriotic War, or World War II as it is known in Western countries. It’s an impressive hotel, but Scientology is run on statistics, and WISE in Russia is “downstat” in that reserved seating for this year is behind the pace set in 2015.

Scientology in Russia is under pressure from the authorities, with orgs and missions being the target of police raids and seizure of documents. But WISE continues to do business, selling Scientology under the name of business consulting. Sea Org member Eugenia Sukhareva is the Commanding Officer WISE CIS and Baltic States, and the main organizer of the conference.

The stars of WISE are the management consulting companies. Their business is to apply Scientology methods in their client businesses. WISE companies use Scientology’s OCA Personality Test in making hiring decisions, they prepare a Scientology Org Board with the same seven divisions as the local Scientology org. They promote management by statistics, tracking each employee’s production, rewarding those who are upstat, and punishing the downstat. They use Scientology’s PTS/SP detection methods to determine who is stopping their business from expanding. Employees are trained in L. Ron Hubbard’s Study Tech, using a dictionary to overcome misunderstood words.

There are a number of WISE consulting companies in Russian-speaking countries, and the founders are almost all speakers at the 2016 convention.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/09/18/in...-consulting-front-shrinks-markedly-in-russia/
  136. Russian Orthodox Church Labels Scientology a 'Brutal, Totalitarian Sect'

Moscow Times: Russian Orthodox Church Labels Scientology a 'Brutal, Totalitarian Sect'

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russian-orthodox-church-labels-scientology-a-brutal-totalitarian-sect-55613

Russian Orthodox Church Labels Scientology a 'Brutal, Totalitarian Sect'

Oct. 05 2016 — 17:42

— Update: 17:42

The Russian Orthodox Church has called Scientology a “brutal, totalitarian sect” and accused it of being nothing more than a structure to defraud people out of money, the Rosbalt news agency reported Wednesday.

A representative for the missionary department of the St. Petersburg diocese, Archpriest Georgy Ioffe, said during a press conference on Wednesday that all the Church of Scientology’s methods were completely artificial and were created purely “to drain money from people.”

He said “quite a large number of people” had come to the St. Petersburg diocese, having suffered at the hands of the U.S.-based Church of Scientology.

Darya Varnovskaya, who spent spent time in St. Petersburg’s Church of Scientology, reported its weekly revenue as between three and four million rubles ($48,000-64,000), Rosbalt reported.

According to the news agency, Varnovskaya suspects the true figure is much higher, claiming the church’s international administration expects its St. Petersburg branch to earn 6 million rubles ($96,000) a week.

The church’s staff earned just 10,000 rubles ($160) and faced “disciplinary action” if they were unable to carry out “the plan," she said.

• Like Like x 3
  137. Quentinanon Member

Scientology = Brutal, totalitarian sect

Cannot dispute that. Accurate.
  138. Christian Today has picked up the story.

Scientology Is A 'Brutal Sect' Which Drains Money From People, Says Russian Orthodox Church

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/scientology.is.a.brutal.sect.which.drains.money.from.people.says.russian.orthodox.church/97235.htm

139. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology’s latest drama in Russia: The mystery woman who infiltrated an org

By Tony Ortega, October 15, 2016

Quote:

Our thanks to Danil Tylevich for making us aware that numerous Russian media outlets are carrying stories about a woman named Darya Varnovskaya, who spent more than a year working at Scientology’s St. Petersburg org in order to secretly gather information about it.

Varnovskaya insists that when she joined the St. Petersburg org in April 2015 she was a journalist working on assignment to secretly film the church. But at least one news outlet there has characterized her as simply a member who became disgruntled and left the church after it was raided by law enforcement earlier this year.

Either way, she was there long enough that she was hired on staff as an ethics officer and later became a registrar, a person whose job it is to get people to sign up for more courses and to give more money. While doing that job she used her smartphone to capture quite a bit of footage. At one point, for example, she catches the supervising registrar as he tells her colleagues that they’ve only brought in 4 million rubles that week (about $64,000), but he expected 5 million rubles.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/10/15/sc...sia-the-mystery-woman-who-infiltrated-an-org/
  140. New search of Scientology offices in Yekaterinburg, Russia.

Interfax: Searches carried out at Church of Scientology offices in Yekaterinburg

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=13576

Yekaterinburg, February 3, Interfax - Police and security officers in Russia's Sverdlovsk Region conducted searches at the offices of the Church of Scientology, a religious, nonprofit organization, on Belinsky Street in the city of Yekaterinburg.

The searches were conducted on February 1 as part of a police inquiry into "illegal entrepreneurship," the regional police spokesperson said.

The police found that the organization's main activity was to provide training sessions and seminars for a fee.

"The organization was doing so without a license for the provision of educational activities," regional police official Valery Gorelykh said in a statement.

According to preliminary data available to the police, the organization's earnings amounted to tens of millions of rubles.

• Like Like x 1
  141. The Scientology office searches were held in Yekaterinburg

https://ria.ru/incidents/20170203/1487095223.html

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fria.ru%2Fincidents%2F20170203%2F1487095223.html&edit-text=

* * * * * BEGIN GOOGLE TRANSLATION * * * * *

The Scientology office searches were held in Yekaterinburg

YEKATERINBURG, February 3 - RIA Novosti. In Yekaterinburg, police and FSB raided the office of the "Church of Scientology", the State Ministry of Interior of the Sverdlovsk region.

According to police, the operational-investigative actions were carried out in a room on the street Belinsky.

"The visit of the security forces in this institution took place in the framework of the previously excited Main Investigation Department of the regional police cupola of the criminal case on grounds of crime under Part 2 of Article 171 of the Criminal Code" illegal business. "The bodies of the Interior found that actually the main activity of the organization is to make profit . through paid training and seminars When the license for educational activity in the organization is not "- said the spokesperson of the State Ministry of Interior of the Sverdlovsk region Valery burning.

According to preliminary data, the amount of income received by representatives of the organization, made tens of millions of rubles.

"On the results of the searches to talk is premature, the work is not yet complete investigation is ongoing." - Added fire.

* * * * * END TRANSLATION * * * * * *
    • Like Like x 1
  142. Quentinanon Member

It looks like the Russian government does not have any delusions about what the scientology organization does, in stark contrast to the U.S. government which gives it special protections and entitlements.
    • Like Like x 1
  143. The Wrong Guy Member

Search underway at Moscow region's scientologist center - source

Quote:

Law enforcement employees are carrying out a search at the Moscow regional scientology church center.

Investigative actions are ongoing at 'the management center for the spreading of dianetics and scientology' in the town of Losino-Petrovsky, a source with law enforcement agencies told Interfax on Wednesday.

He did not elaborate within which case searches are underway.

Interfax does not have available official confirmation of this information.

Source: http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=13665

TASS: World - Police conduct search at Moscow scientology center — source

In Russia, some scientology files have been included in the federal list of extremism-related materials

Quote:

Police are carrying out a search at a scientology center located to the northeast of Moscow, a law enforcement source told TASS on Wednesday.

"Today the law enforcement agencies have come to conduct a search in the Center for managing activity on spreading dianetics and scientology located in the town of Losino-Petrovsky, in the Moscow Region," the source said.

The investigation is underway as part of a criminal case into illegal entrepreneurship launched by the Federal Security Service in St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region.

Dianetics and scientology is a religious and philosophic belief created in the United States in early 1950s by American author Lafayette Ron Hubbard. The scientific community does not recognize it as a science.

In Russia, some scientology files have been included in the federal list of extremism-related materials and their storage and dissemination is prohibited in the country.

Source: http://tass.com/world/938203

There's some background in a 2010 thread, here:

Russian dist. center under investigation

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/russian-dist-center-under-investigation.64086/
    • Like Like x 2
  144. sometimes I like what russia is doing ....only sometimes anyhow free dombass long live UKRAINE !
  145. Scientology extracted over $53 million in 'donations' from Russia in past three years.

Sputnik: Scientologists Profited From $53 Million in 'Donations' Made in Russia in Years

https://sputniknews.com/russia/201703311052146829-scientolgists-russia-53-million/

The Church of Scientology could have extracted about 3 billion rubles (over $53 million) in donations made to its Moscow and St. Petersburg branches, Russian media report.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – On Wednesday, the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) conducted a search at a branch office of the Church of Scientology in the Moscow region, which had been operating without a license, according to investigators.

The Russian Izvestia newspaper reported on Friday citing expert sources, that documents seized during the search suggest that in the past three years, the Church of Scientology brought in to the United States about 3 billion rubles in "donations" made in Russia.

• Like Like x 2
  146. Church of Scientology illegally transferred 3 billion rubles to US.

Google translation follows.

http://www.kapsamhaber.com/m/dunya/scientology-kilisesi-abd-ye-yasadisi-yollarla-3-milyar-ruble-h39641.html

https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://www.kapsamhaber.com/m/dunya/scientology-kilisesi-abd-ye-yasadisi-yollarla-3-milyar-ruble-h39641.html

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * *

Scientology Church illegally transferred 3 billion rubles to US

"The Russian Federal Security Service said the Church of Scientology in Moscow transferred 3 billion rubles to the US illegally."

In Russia , US-based Scientology Church branches have reportedly transferred 3 billion rubles to the US illegally under "Donate to USA".

The Russian Federal Security Service conducted research into the " Dianetik and Scientology " headquarters in Moscow's Losino Petrovsky town, with the support of special forces. The Russian Federal Security Service included statements that the Scientology Church had organized seminars and training without license, and that the investigated documents would examine the confiscated documents. It has also been reported that in the last three years 3 billion rubles have been donated to the United States through the Scientology Church in the form of "donations".

• Like Like x 3
  147. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  148. The Wrong Guy Member

Supreme Court bans Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia | The Associated Press

Quote:

Russia's Supreme Court on Thursday banned Jehovah's Witnesses from operating anywhere in the country, accepting a request from the justice ministry that the religious organization be considered an extremist group.

The court ordered the closure of the group's Russian headquarters and its 395 local chapters, as well as the seizure of its property.

The Interfax news agency on Thursday quoted Justice Ministry attorney Svetlana Borisova in court as saying that Jehovah's Witnesses pose a threat to Russians.

"They pose a threat to the rights of citizens, public order and public security," she told the court.

Borisova also said Jehovah's Witnesses' opposition to blood transfusions violates Russian health care laws.

Yaroslav Sivulsky, a spokesman for Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia, said in a statement they are "greatly disappointed by this development and deeply concerned about how this will affect our religious activity."

Jehovah's Witnesses said they would appeal the ruling.

Jehovah's Witnesses claim more than 170,000 adherents in Russia. The group has come under increasing pressure over the past year, including a ban on distributing literature deemed to violate Russia's anti-extremism laws.

Human Rights Watch criticized Thursday's decision as an impediment to religious freedom in Russia.

"The Supreme Court's ruling to shut down the Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia is a terrible blow to freedom of religion and association in Russia," said Rachel Denber, deputy Europe and Central Asia director at Human Rights Watch.

The rights group also expressed concern that if the ruling takes effect, Jehovah's Witnesses could face criminal prosecution and punishment ranging from fines to prison time.

Source: https://apnews.com/c428449c8ef1448d98f224014c5fc9af
    • Like Like x 3
  149. The Wrong Guy Member

St. Petersburg Church of Scientology raided by FSB | Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI)

Quote:

Searches are being conducted in the Church of Scientology in St. Petersburg, the Federal Security Service’s (FSB) local directorate told RAPSI on Tuesday.

According to the FSB press service, the organization is raided as part of investigation into illegal business operations, incitement of hatred and enmity, and organization of an extremist community.

Several key defendants in the case have been arrested. A court will choose a measure of restriction for them soon, the statement reads.

Dianetics and Scientology are a set of religious and philosophical ideas and practices that were put forth by L. Ron Hubbard in the US in the early 1950s. The scientific community never recognized it as science.

Source: http://www.rapsinews.com/news/20170606/278861652.html

Russian security forces raid Scientology church | Yahoo7

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/35780316/russian-security-forces-raid-scientology-church/#page1

FSB searches Church of Scientology’s St. Petersburg office in extremism probe — source | TASS

http://tass.com/world/949996

FSB says key figures in Church of Scientology’s St. Petersburg case established | TASS

http://tass.com/society/950080
    • Like Like x 1
  150. The Wrong Guy Member

Court authorizes arrest of accounting official at Scientology Church of St. Petersburg | TASS

Earlier, the court authorized arrest of the chief of church’s department for official issues Anastasia Terentyeva

Quote:

A district court in St. Petersburg has authorized arrest of the second individual involved in the case for the religious grouping that calls itself the Scientology Church of St. Petersburg, Darya Lebedeva, the secretary of the city court said.

The case was instituted over the illegal business operations and extremist activity of the grouping.

"Nevsky district court in St. Petersburg passed a resolution on appointing custody for S.Ya. Aliyev (…) through to August 5," Lebedeva said.

Investigators say Aliev is the chief accountant of the scientology organization. Earlier, the court authorized arrest of the chief of church’s department for official issues, Anastasia Terentyeva.

In all, it received materials featuring five members of the group. Decisions on other individuals will be taken on Thursday.

Members of the Scientology Church of St. Petersburg are charged with offering illegally the scientology courses and programs for fee without appropriate registration. The commercial returns from the offer are estimated at 276 million rubles ($4.8 mln).

Also investigators established in the course of searches that books and materials authored by the founder of the sect, Lafayette Ron Hubbard that are placed on the lists of forbidden extremist literature in Russia were confiscated from members of the organization.

Investigators say in this connection the scientology organization is an extremist community after the fact.

Defenders say the Scientology Church of St. Petersburg tried to register its religious organization as a legal entity but the authorities denied registration to it.

A search was held in the offices of the group in frameworks of the case, which the authorities opened under the articles of the Criminal Code stipulating punishment for illegal entrepreneurship, incitement of hatred or enmity and organization of an extremist community.

The press service of the territorial branch of Russia’s FSB security service for St Petersburg and Leningrad region said earlier it had identified the key personalities in the case.

Science fiction writer Lafayette Ronald Hubbard founded dianetics and scientology in the early 1950’s. The scientific community did not recognize it as science.

Russia has placed a number of materials proliferated by scientology adepts on the list of extremist works and the federal list of extremist materials, the storage and mass circulation of which in this country is deemed illegitimate.

Source: http://tass.com/society/950416
    • Like Like x 1
  151. Quentinanon Member

Good move on the FSB arresting the top OSAbot, Anastasia Terentyeva, but did they arrest the "investigations officer" as well, or any volunteers doing that do that work?
  152. The Wrong Guy Member

153. The Wrong Guy Member

St. Petersburg Church of Scientology executive director put in detention | Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI)

Quote:

The Nevsky District Court of St. Petersburg on Wednesday ordered the detention of executive director of Church of Scientology local religious group, Galina Shurinova, until August 5, RAPSI reports from the courtroom.

Shurinova is charged with participating in an extremist organization, illegal business, inciting hatred and enmity, and violation of human dignity. Law enforcement officers have seized literature banned in Russia as extremist during searches at her premises, an investigator said in court.

According to the Federal Security Service (FSB), Shurinova is the main manager of Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg, who exercises control over cash inflow. From 2013 to 2016, the organization received over 276 million rubles ($4.9 million) for rendering its services. However, the Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg has not been incorporated under the law, an FSB representative noted in court.

Shurinova motioned for house arrest or release on bail.

Continued at http://rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20170608/278887283.html

Third of five detained members of Church of Scientology in St. Petersburg arrested | TASS

The group under investigation is charged with illegal business activity, such as commercial courses and programs without obtaining the required registration

Quote:

A district court in St. Petersburg has sustained the investigator’s request to put under arrest for two months a third of the five persons accused in a criminal case involving the Church of Scientology in St. Petersburg, who were detained by the federal security service FSB earlier this week.

"The court ruled Galina Shurinova shall be remanded in custody till August 5," the court’s spokeswoman Darya Lebedeva said.

Earlier, the court ordered the arrest of the organization’s chief accountant Sahib Aliyev and chief of the official relations department Anastasiya Terentieva. The court is expected to make a decision regarding restrictive measures against the two other detainees later today and on Friday.

The group under investigation is charged with illegal business activity, such as commercial courses and programs without obtaining the required registration. The amount of cash received is estimated at about 276 million rubles ($4,840,742).

Continued at http://tass.com/world/950536
  154. The Wrong Guy Member

Defendant in St. Petersburg Church of Scientology case put under house arrest | Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI)

Quote:

The Nevsky District Court of St. Petersburg ruled to put an employee of the Church of Scientology in St. Petersburg, Constance Yesaulkova, under house arrest, RAPSI reports from the courtroom on Friday.

Yesaulkova is charged with participating in an extremist organization, illegal business, inciting hatred and enmity, and violation of human dignity. She is an assistant for another defendant in the case Anastasia Terentyeva, but allegedly she also distributed money obtained by the group on the order of its head Ivan Matsitsky, an investigator said in court.

On Thursday, the court ruled to detain Matsisky and executive director of Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg, Galina Shurinova charged with the same crimes as Yesaulkova. According to the Federal Security Service (FSB), Shurinova is the main manager of Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg, who exercises control over cash inflow.

From 2013 to 2016, the organization received over 276 million rubles ($4.9 million) for rendering its services. However, the Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg has not been incorporated under the law, an FSB representative noted in court earlier.

On Wednesday, the court detained two other managers of Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg, Anastasia Terentyeva and Sakhib Aliev.

On June 6, the Federal Security Service’s (FSB) officers raided the Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg as part of investigation into illegal business operations, incitement of hatred and enmity, and organization of an extremist community. Five members of the religious group were arrested.

Continued at http://rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20170609/278893444.html
  155. The Wrong Guy Member

All Clear: Russian Authorities Crack Down on Scientology in St. Petersburg | Sputnik News

Having imposed a ban on the activity of Jehovah's Witnesses in the country, Russian authorities have turned their attention to the Church of Scientology, as law enforcement agents conducted a search of the group’s premises in St. Petersburg.

Quote:

On June 6, Russian law enforcement agents conducted a search of the premises of the Church of Scientology in St. Petersburg.

The authorities have announced that their goal was a search for "items and documents confirming the criminal character of this religious group’s activities."

The group was charged with illegal business operations, inciting hatred and the creation of an extremist organization.

Alexander Dvorkin, president of the Association of Centers for the Study of Religions and Sects, told RIA Novosti that scientologists operate as a network of organizations big and small, all of them subordinate to the head office in Los Angeles. He also added that it is high time that the authorities started paying more attention to the religious group’s activities in Russia.

"It is clear that the sect’s founder Ron Hubbard incites hatred towards certain individuals based on their attitude towards Scientology. According to Hubbard’s teachings, part of the population is comprised of so-called 'suppressive persons' – people who do not accept Scientology or criticize it. These people are deemed incurable and must be discriminated against, deprived of property and physically eliminated – those are literally his words. Therefore, Scientology declares war upon these people, and all is good in war. And if an organization preaches hatred and, essentially, murder, looting, persecution and thievery towards a certain part of the population, in my opinion that is blatant extremism," Dvorkin said.

Meanwhile, Roman Silantyev, a religious studies expert and head of the World Russian People's Council’s Human Rights Center, pointed out that that the recent investigations into the activities of groups like Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Church of Scientology in Russia are merely "an adequate reaction by the state to the changing foreign political situation."

"When the US openly declares Russia its main enemy, making such statements on a regular basis, the attitude towards religious groups based on potential (or, to be honest, real) adversary’s territory tends to change," Silantyev said.

He also added that certain aspects of these groups’ financial activities raise poignant questions about "whether such organizations could serve as a cover for intelligence activity conducted by unfriendly states."

Source: https://sputniknews.com/russia/201706121054562211-russia-scientology-investigation/
  156. The Internet Member

Nice of the Russians to confirm my suspicion, that Scientology has at times served as a CIA asset. Russia's intensified attack upon US intelligence is the primary reason for the recent crackdown.
  157. Maybe you want to be a bit more skeptical. Even if this "religious studies expert" is in a position to know, all he says is, "could serve as a cover for intelligence activity."

He is also referring to both the CoS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
  158. The Wrong Guy Member

Detention of St. Petersburg Church of Scientology executives appealed | Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI)

Detention of executives of the Church of Scientology in St. Petersburg, who stand charged with extremism and illegal business, has been appealed, the Unified press service of St. Petersburg courts told RAPSI on Thursday.

http://rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20170615/278957381.html
  159. Quentinanon Member

Detention of executives ringleaders of the Church of Scientology Crime Syndicate in St. Petersburg, who stand charged with extremism and illegal business, has been appealed so OSA can send them to the U.S. to keep them from giving testimony at trial, the Unified press service of St. Petersburg courts told RAPSI on Thursday.
  160. The Wrong Guy Member

Detention of St. Petersburg Church of Scientology executive upheld | Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI).

The St. Petersburg City Court had upheld the detention of Galina Shurinova, the executive director of the Church of Scientology in St. Petersburg, who stands charged with participation in an extremist organization, the Unified press service of St. Petersburg courts told RAPSI on Wednesday.

http://rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20170628/279116974.html
    • Like Like x 1
  161. The Wrong Guy Member

St. Petersburg Church of Scientology head to remain in detention | Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI)

Quote:

The St. Petersburg City Court has upheld detention of the Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg leader Ivan Matsitsky, who stands charged with participation in an extremist organization, the Unified press service of St. Petersburg courts told RAPSI on Monday.

Matsitsky is also charged with illegal business, inciting hatred and enmity, and violation of human dignity.

According to investigators, Matsitsky was coordinating activities of the organization and cash distribution. From 2013 to 2016, the organization received over 276 million rubles (about $5 million) for rendering its services. However, the Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg has not been incorporated under the law, a representative of the Federal Security Service (FSB) said in court earlier.

In June, executive director of the Church of Scientology in St. Petersburg Galina Shurinova, chief of the official matters department Anastasia Terentyeva and chief accountant of the religious group Sakhib Aliyev were detained alongside Matsitsky until August 5. Terentyeva’s assistance Constance Yesaulkova was put under house arrest.

Continued at http://rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20170710/279289807.html
    • Like Like x 1
  162. Quentinanon Member

Looks like they're doing it right. Detaining osabots Terentyeva and Yesaulkova is essential.
  163. Ann O'Nymous Member

It would be nice if Putin wasn't doing the same to many of its opponents.
  164. The Wrong Guy Member

Court extends detention for members of St. Petersburg Church of Scientology | TASS

The members of the St. Petersburg Church of Scientology are accused of illegally organizing scientology courses and programs on a paid basis without any proper licensing or authorization documents.

Quote:

St. Petersburg’s Neva District Court has extended arrest terms for defendants under the St. Petersburg Church of Scientology case until October 20, the city court’s press service reported on Thursday.

"The court has ruled to extend measures of restraint in the form of detention for Ivan Matsitsky, Anastasiya Terenteva and Sakhib Aliev until October 20. The court has also extended house arrest for Konstantsiya Yesaulkova for the same term," the report says.

St. Petersburg’s Neva District Court has extended arrest terms for defendants under the St. Petersburg Church of Scientology case until October 20, the city court’s press service reported on Thursday.

Continued at http://tass.com/society/958986
  165. The Wrong Guy Member

St. Petersburg Church of Scientology director freed from jail, put under house arrest | Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI)

Quote:

The Nevsky District Court of St. Petersburg has released Galina Shurinova, the executive director of the local Church of Scientology, who stands charged with participation in an extremist organization, from detention and put her under house arrest, the Unified press service of St. Petersburg courts told RAPSI on Friday.

The court dismissed an investigator’s motion to extend Shurinova’s detention. The woman was sent under house until October 3.

Other defendants in the case, the Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg head Ivan Matsitsky, chief accountant of the religious group Sakhib Aliyev, and chief of the official matters department Anastasia Terentyeva, will remain in detention until October 20. House arrest of Terentyeva’s assistance Constance Yesaulkova was extended for the same period.

Continued at http://rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20170804/279630829.html

Defendant in St Petersburg Church of Scientology case released from jail | TASS

http://tass.com/society/959172
    • Like Like x 1
  166. The Wrong Guy Member

Facing all this bad PR, the cult resorts to another self-congratulatory press release. Quote:

Russian Scientologists Race to Promote Drug-Free Living

Volunteers join in a local race to raise awareness of the danger of drugs.

aa81959093dfc87d9ea844f3aec6.jpg

A team of Russian Scientologists from the city of Chelyabinsk joined with other concerned members of the community to run in a 2K charity race called Running for the Good of 2017.

The Scientologists, active in the Truth About Drugs campaign, ran in their signature aqua T-shirts to raise awareness about the danger of drugs and promote drug education as a vital element in bringing the local drug epidemic under control.

Drug abuse is a serious issue in the area. According to a May 2017 report from the Minister of Public Security, drug-related deaths have increased by 600 percent, with 119 deaths so far this year compared with 20 in 2016.

Based on 25 years of experience in drug prevention, the Truth About Drugs program effectively communicates the reality of drug abuse to teens and young adults. Because children and teens are most likely to listen to their peers, the core message—booklets, public service announcements, and documentary—feature young people who have gone down the path of addiction and survived to tell the story.

Continued at http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/3439488
  167. The Wrong Guy Member

After Jehovah's Witnesses Ban, Russia Takes on Scientology With Controversial Arrests

By Damien Sharkov, Newsweek, September 25, 2017

Quote:

An assemblage of Russia’s top human rights activists is pleading with President Vladimir Putin to reverse decisions that threaten the Church of Scientology’s existence in Russia.

Lyudmila Alexeyeva—the woman hailed as Russia’s “grand dame of human rights”—led the charge in an open letter published by Russian daily newspaper Kommersant on Monday, asking Putin to intervene in the recent arrest of five Scientologists in St. Petersburg.

“The events that occurred in St. Petersburg can seriously harm the reputation of our country, which seems particularly dangerous on the eve of the upcoming campaign for the presidential elections in 2018,” the letter read.

Russia’s security services raided Scientology headquarters in the country’s so-called northern capital this summer, launching a probe into illegal entrepreneurship, extremism and incitement of hatred in June.

“The activities for which senior figures [in the church] ended up in jail are conducted in all Scientologist communities, practicing in different countries in Europe, North and South America, Asia, Australia and Africa,” the letter added. Russia’s Justice Ministry has turned its attention toward the group’s earnings just weeks after outlawing Jehovah’s Witnesses, a Christian evangelical movement.

Earlier this year, the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) labeled Russia a “country of particular concern” when it comes to religious freedom.

The letter highlighted that Putin’s role may not be “to defend Scientology” but called on him to “defend the foundations of our constitutional order.”

Speaking to Kommersant, Alexeyeva, whom Putin personally visited on her 90th birthday this year, reminisced about the state of civil liberties in Soviet times, when her activism began and atheism was the official state doctrine.

“I am not a very religious person, but I understand that for believers, their faith is just as important as my conviction,” she said. “In Soviet times, I defended the right for people to believe, but it seems I have to commit myself to this now as well.”

Source: http://www.newsweek.com/after-jehov...-scientology-activists-appeal-vladimir-670397
  168. The Wrong Guy Member

Woman sentenced to 6.5 years for transfer of stolen millions to Church of Scientology | Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI)

Quote:

The Oktyabrsky District Court of St. Petersburg on Monday sentenced Ekaterina Zaborskikh, who had embezzled over 130 million rubles (about $2 million) from real estate investors and transferred the money to the Church of Scientology Moscow, to 6.5 years in prison, the court’s representative told RAPSI.

The court also granted lawsuits filed by victims demanding 133 million rubles in total from the defendant. The woman was also ordered to pay 600,000 rubles ($10,300) of court costs.

Moreover, another criminal case against Zaborskikh over alleged embezzlement of 33 million rubles (about $570,000) from real estate investors has been transferred from the Smolninsky District Court of St. Petersburg to the Oktyabrsky District Court for consideration because of jurisdiction.

According to investigators, Zaborskikh was a chairman of several consumer committees and housing cooperatives. Allegedly she was responsible for deceiving people into paying her money under the guise of selling apartments, houses and land plots around St. Petersburg and Leningrad Region while she had no ability to provide such real estate. Allegedly she stole over 130 million rubles from her clients between 2012 and 2014.

Zaborskikh allegedly used the money on her own volition by, among other things, transferring it to the religious organization called “The Church of Scientology Moscow”. According to investigators, she gave away money to the organization both in cash and through cashless transfer.

The scientific community never recognized it as science.

Source: http://www.rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20171030/280747765.html
    • Like Like x 1
  169. Quentinanon Member

Zaborskikh was just following Hubbard:
    "Never fear to hurt another in a just cause."
  170. The Wrong Guy Member

Should Scientology be Banned ft. Lloyd Evans | Chris Shelton

In May 2017, the state of Russia banned the religion and practice of Jehovah's Witnesses. The Church of Scientology is being faced with the same kind of ban in Russia. This is a controversial subject because many in the anti-Scientology community feel this is a good and just action.

In this video, former Jehovah's Witness and anti-cult activist Lloyd Evans and I discuss why this is a terrible idea and what some of the consequences have already been for JWs in Russia under this new ban.
  171. Quentinanon Member

I don't think Chris Shelton's discussion objectively weighs both upsides and downsides to banning scientology. The JW is a different organization entirely and a ban argument is different than it would be for scientology.
    • Like Like x 1
  172. The Wrong Guy Member

David Miscavige pens letter to Russian Scientologists in custody

By Tony Ortega, December 13, 2017

Quote:

We’ve been critical of Russia’s harsh crackdown on Scientology, which seems heavy-handed for the large number of raids and book banning. A criminal investigation regarding money being funneled from a pyramid scheme into Scientology donations has resulted in five Scientologists being held in custody. We have no way of knowing if that incarceration is legitimate or not.

But David Miscavige’s letter, addressed to the five Scientologists in custody, is a masterwork in bullshit as the church leader lays on the religious cloaking and ignores all of Scientology’s controversies and well-documented abuses.

Thanks to Pete Griffiths for posting this letter on Facebook. We know you’re going to enjoy it.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2017/12/14/h...e-turned-witness-and-vanished-now-here-he-is/
    • Like Like x 1
  173. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology Cult Shut Down Over Shady Land-Grabbing Black Ops in Moscow | Vesti News

Quote:

An influential cult. In the Moscow office of the Marins Union Group the police conducted searches investigating theft of land in Moscow Oblast. The group has a sketchy reputation: it has close ties to Scientologists.
    • Like Like x 1
  174. The Wrong Guy Member

175. очень хорошо
    very good
  176. жопы, которые бегут
    жопы, которые бегут
  177. метла американские шишки !
  178. не забывай поклониться мне
    и найти деньги
    не забывай поклониться мне
    и найти деньги
  179. The Wrong Guy Member

180. The Wrong Guy Member

US urges Russia to release political and religious prisoners | The Associated Press

Quote:

The Trump administration urged Russia on Monday to release what it called a growing number of political and religious prisoners, warning that President Vladimir Putin’s government was turning to “old Soviet practices” to deny rights to detainees.

The condemnation came as President Donald Trump considers holding a summit with Putin and faces continuing questions about whether his administration is insufficiently tough on Russia. In recent months, Trump’s administration has taken a number of steps to put pressure on Moscow, including sanctions, but Trump has also raised concerns with comments suggesting that Russia should be allowed back into the Group of 7 — formerly the Group of 8 — industrialized economies despite its annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea.

The State Department said it was “deeply concerned” about the problem and added that the number of such prisoners now exceeds 150 people, according to what the U.S. said were credible human rights organizations. State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the U.S. was calling on Russia to cease using its legal system to “suppress dissent and peaceful religious practice.”

“The Russian people, like people everywhere, deserve equal treatment under the law and the ability to exercise their rights without fear of retribution,” Nauert said.

<snipped>

Other cases drawing U.S. scrutiny included those of a Jehovah’s Witness, Dennis Christensen, who has been held without trial since last year, the U.S. said. The State Department also raised the cases of five leaders from the Church of Scientology and more than a dozen Muslim followers of the late Said Nursi, a Turkish theologian.

Full article: https://www.apnews.com/2c3896ce898f...-to-release-political-and-religious-prisoners
  181. The Wrong Guy Member

US Government ‘adopts’ Russian Scientologist in religious rights protest

By Tony Ortega, September 28, 2018

Quote:

On June 5, 2017, agents of the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) made one of numerous raids it has carried out on Scientology facilities. This one took place at the St. Petersburg org, and it resulted in the arrest of five Scientologists who were working there.

One of them was a man named Ivan Matsitsky, whom Russian press accounts have described as the org’s “leader,” which is not a Scientology title. (Scientology’s own website doesn’t list a title for Matsitsky, but says he’s been involved in Scientology since 1994.)

More than a year later, Matsitsky and the org’s chief accountant, Sahib Aliyev, are still in pre-trial custody, while the other three, including the org’s 64-year-old executive director, Galina Shurinova, were allowed to go home on house arrest.

The St. Petersburg org had been under scrutiny by Russian officials for more than two years before the June 2017 raid. In February 2015, the European Court of Human Rights ruled that Russian authorities had violated the rights of St. Petersburg Scientologists when it denied the org status as a legal entity. Among the Scientologists named in that order were Matsitsky and Shurinova. And in June 2016, a year before they were arrested, Matsitsky and several others were questioned at the org and at their homes by the FSB.

Since their arrest, it’s a little unclear what the five Scientologists have been charged with, but it translates to “illegal entrepreneurial activity, leadership of an extremist community, and humiliation of human dignity.”

The “entrepreneurial activity” totaled the equivalent of about $4.5 million, and it apparently refers to taking money from Scientologists for the things Scientologists normally pay for, including personal interrogations.

Russian courts have labeled some of Scientology’s materials as “extremist,” and have repeatedly closed some facilities. The St. Petersburg org itself was closed by court order in 2007 for operating without a license and for gathering private information about individuals. Despite more than a decade of such crackdowns, however, Scientology continues to survive there — though it’s difficult to assess its overall health in comparison to the United States, for example, where it’s been rapidly shrinking since the 1990s.

The US itself cracked down on Scientology in a very visible and harsh way with a 1977 raid which was the biggest in FBI history at the time. Eleven top Scientology officers were convicted and went to prison for an elaborate scheme to infiltrate government offices under the name the “Snow White Program.” Since then, Scientology has repeatedly been accused of subjecting its members to harsh interrogations and then using the private information gathered from those interrogations to punish members who turn away or go public with the organization’s secrets. It also subjects its most dedicated adherents, workers in the Sea Org, to around the clock work schedules 365 days a year, for almost no pay, and subject to harsh punishments. The FBI investigated allegations of labor trafficking in the Sea Org in 2009-2010, but no charges were filed.

In Russia, those practices of information gathering and potential blackmail of former members are repeatedly cited as the reason the raids and arrests have been happening. But the heavy-handedness of the Russian raids has raised concerns from observers in other countries (including this website).

Now, a branch of the US government has announced that it objects to the way the Russian prisoners are being treated, and is committed to “raising awareness” about Matsitsky, who is described as a “prisoner of conscience.”

Kristina Arriaga de Bucholz is vice chair of the bipartisan U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF), a body that was created in 1998 under President Bill Clinton, who had made international religious rights one of his signature issues. (Clinton was also the president who signed off on Scientology re-acquiring tax exempt status from the IRS in 1993, after a two-year process that had begun under his predecessor, President George H.W. Bush.) The same 1998 law that created the USCIRF also created the Office of International Religious Freedom inside the State Department, which under Clinton harshly criticized the German government for the way it was investigating Scientology and Scientologists. To this day, the State Department criticizes other governments for their treatment of Scientology in an annual report on international religious freedom.

The daughter of a Cuban refugee, Arriaga was appointed to the USCIRF in 2016 by House Speaker Paul Ryan. Prior to that, she was executive director of the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, which advocated for Hobby Lobby in its battle to oppose Obamacare’s contraception mandate. Other current USCIRF commissioners include Trump, Pelosi, Schumer, and McConnell appointees.

This week, Arriaga issued a press release announcing that she was “adopting” two Russian “prisoners of conscience” — Jehovah’s Witness member Dennis Christensen and Matsitsky. Here’s her entire release:

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/09/28/u...an-scientologist-in-religious-rights-protest/
  182. The Wrong Guy Member

Russia lawyer accuses judge of falsification in the case of a prisoner of conscience | EU Reporter

Quote:

On 28 November, the St Petersburg City Court postponed to 6 December an appeal filed against Judge Evgeny Isakov in St Petersburg by the defense lawyer of the leader of the Scientology Church, Ivan Matsitsky, who in September was adopted as a prisoner of conscience by the US Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF), a bipartisan federal government entity based in Washington, writes Willy Fautre, Director of Human Rights Without Frontiers.

Continued at https://www.eureporter.co/frontpage...tion-in-the-case-of-a-prisoner-of-conscience/
  183. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology Properties Raided In Russia Amid Broader Clampdown On Foreign-Based Faiths

By Matthew Luxmoore, Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty, March 29, 2019

Quote:

The Federal Security Service (FSB) has raided several buildings in Russia belonging to the Church of Scientology in connection with a fraud investigation that authorities say involves the embezzlement of more than 800 million rubles ($12 million) by people affiliated with the U.S.-based religious group.

According to a statement by the Interior Ministry cited by TASS, the raids on March 28 were tied to a criminal probe launched in 2017 into a major case of fraud in the St. Petersburg region, involving 400 people cheated of their investments in a housing development.

The raids took place in St. Petersburg and at least two locations belonging to the church in the Moscow region and the Russian capital.

Tatyana Zakharchenko, a spokeswoman for the Church of Scientology in St. Petersburg, told RFE/RL that the church itself was not being investigated but certain individuals affiliated with its St. Petersburg branch were.

"This is the same as if an Orthodox believer broke the law and the FSB raided an Orthodox church," she said of the raids. The church's Moscow chapter declined to comment for this story.

In videos of the police operation aired on Russian state TV on March 28, masked FSB officers can be seen breaking into and scouring a building in St. Petersburg whose tenants are shown lined up on either side of a wide corridor.

The report opens with a promise to reveal "technologies of siphoning money right inside the offices of the Scientologists," but ends up providing no evidence and few details of the alleged fraud.

'Lure And Deceive'

As cameras zero in on books written by the church's American founder, L. Ron Hubbard, the presenter says the faith's followers in St. Petersburg had sold their apartments to live in double bed "barracks" constructed inside the premises while money allegedly stolen from them was used to finance the lavish lifestyles of the church elite.

"Lure and deceive: that's the way the Scientology cult has lived for decades," the report concludes.

Zakharchenko, the church representative, did not elaborate on the ongoing investigation but she sent a statement from the religious organization saying that law enforcement has previously raided its church in St. Petersburg "in an effort to shift suspicions of a crime from a specific person onto the entire religious community."

"We believe that what's happening is an example of the continuing discriminatory politics toward Scientology, provoked by specific individuals who work toward the destruction of our Russian society," the statement said.

The Russian government has long been opposed to recognizing the church’s status as an official religion, and has waged a protracted battle to get affiliates in Russia shut down.

The Russian Orthodox Church considers the organization a religious sect, a view often advanced on the airwaves of Russian state TV. The European Court of Human Rights has ruled in favor of several regional chapters of the church in Russia.

High-Profile Investigations

In November 2015, the Justice Ministry declared the Church of Scientology in violation of Russian law and called for the liquidation of its chapters in Russia. Several raids have since been conducted on premises used by the organization, and some members have become embroiled in high-profile fraud investigations.

In October 2018, a court in St. Petersburg sentenced Yekaterina Zaborskikh, one of the church's adherents in the city, to 6 1/2 years in prison for allegedly transferring money to the church that was stolen from people who had invested in housing projects by her construction company.

Between 2012 and 2014 Zaborskikh allegedly defrauded over 70 families of investments totaling more than 130 million rubles, Interfax reported at the time.

Continued at https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-scientology-raided-clampdown-foreign-faiths/29850267.html
  184. The Wrong Guy Member

Detention of St. Petersburg Church of Scientology leaders extended once more | Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI)

Quote:

The St. Petersburg City Court has again extended detention for the Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg leader Ivan Matsitsky and the religious group’s chief accountant Sakhib Aliyev charged with extremism and illegal business operations, Aliev’s defense attorney Yevgeny Smirnov has told RAPSI.

The ruling on the detention’s extension has been issued because the defendants have not finished reading case materials yet. According to the lawyer, the defendants refused to study case papers yet in October, but investigators insisted that the materials be delivered to the detention center.

As of today, they are held in detention for nearly two years.

Continued at http://rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20190419/298020046.html
  185. The Wrong Guy Member

Chief accountant of St. Petersburg Church of Scientology released from detention | Russian Legal Information Agency (RAPSI).

Quote:

Sakhib Aliyev, chief accountant of the Church of Scientology of St. Petersburg charged with extremism and illegal business, has been released from detention and put under house arrest until August 19, the United press service of St. Petersburg courts has told RAPSI.

The St. Petersburg City Court has therefore dismissed the investigators’ petition to extend Aliyev’s detention.

However, the religious group’s leader Ivan Matsitsky will stay jailed for another three months.

Three other defendants in the case are the organization’s executive director Galina Shurinova, chief of the official matters department Anastasia Terentyeva and her assistance Constance Yesaulkova. They have been placed under house arrest.

Since October, the accused persons have been reading case materials, that’s why the terms of investigation and restrictive measures are being extended.

Continued at http://rapsinews.com/judicial_news/20190514/299046063.html