Customize

My Scientology Movie - Louis Theroux documentary

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by CommunicatorIC, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Anonymous Member

I'm also in agreeance with you.
  2. Anonymous Member

Indeed...
    The question is, "Would Scientologists want to expose themself?"
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

There was a brief mention of this today:

'People think I'm a calculating inquisitor , but I'm just as bumbling off camera': Louis Theroux gives his definitive answers to our most probing questions

By Rob McGibbon, The Daily Mail

Excerpt:

The priority activity if you were the Invisible Man for a day:

"I'd go to the headquarters of the church of Scientology. I've been working on a film about them for a year, but access has been tricky. It would be a coup to follow its leader David Miscavige."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ves-definitive-answers-probing-questions.html
    • Like Like x 3
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

Louis Theroux @louistheroux · Apr 21
    I have now seen Going Clear and I'm pleased to say our #Scientology doc is very different.

Louis Theroux @louistheroux · 2 hours ago
    Just been informed by Scientology lawyers that Scientology is working on a documentary about me. Little bit excited; little bit nervous.

Scientologists are planning to do a documentary on Louis Theroux

By Fiona Flynn, Entertainment.ie, April 23, 2015

Louis Theroux's much anticipated Scientology documentary will see the filmmaker going to the heart of the world’s largest population of Scientologists in Los Angeles in what he is calling "the Holy Grail of Stories."

Given how controversial Alex Gibney’s HBO-produced documentary about Scientology Going Clear, has proven, many are curious what take Theroux will go with. Although he has said that his BBC documentary, called Stairway to Heaven: Louis Theroux and the Church of Scientology, is 'very different' to Gibney's effort.

It seems however that the Scientologist folk are not taking this lying down, and are apparently going to make a documentary on Louis Theroux now.

How very meta of them.

Just been informed by Scientology lawyers that Scientology is working on a documentary about me. Little bit excited; little bit nervous.
    — Louis Theroux (@louistheroux) April 23, 2015

Yeah we're confused too... is Tom Cruise going to direct it or what?

The Church of Scientology made a similar move back in 2007 with BBC's Panorama programme whereby they released footage of the investigative journalist John Sweeney shouting at Scientology representative Tommy Davis (who has since left and denounced the church), ahead of the broadcast of "Scientology and Me", a Panorama investigation into Scientology. This also featured in a documentary the Church of Scientology's Freedom Magazine TV produced about the BBC Panorama programme.

They're a tricky bunch aren't they just? Don't know about you, but we're looking forward to a documentary on Louis Theroux, fingers crossed they'll catch him shouting at a few Scientologists too.

Source:
    http://entertainment.ie/tv/news/Sci...-do-a-documentary-on-Louis-Theroux/362956.htm
    • Like Like x 6
  5. Quentinanon Member

Miscavige must despise Louis Theroux to spend production money on a media Fair Game operation.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. anon8109 Member

The Scientology corporation is excellent at advertising its critics' message by getting all weird about it.

If the company just ignored the coming documentary and put out a bland denial many fewer people would watch it. What really draws the crowd is the bizarre reaction that the company has anytime someone criticizes it.

For example, of all the Australian news programs detailing the abusive and strange behavior of Scientology, what I remember most is the woman who was hiding in the bushes with a camera pointed at the news crew. When approached and asked why she was acting so weird she ran away.

That's what sticks in my memory because it was just so loony.
    • Like Like x 7
  7. Quentinanon Member

If it isn't loony, it isn't scientology.
    • Like Like x 5
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 5
  9. Walk in whose shoes?

No member of Scientology will talk freely and openly about Scientology.

If what I'm reading here is accurate, I guess it can be safely assumed that he'll emphasize Scientology as a "religion," and ignore its cynical and fraudulent use of "religion" as a protective shield.

If I hear one more politically correct person call Scientology "the Church," while half the people hearing the words "the Church" automatically tune out, not wanting to be involved with someone's dispute with "a Church," I think I'll throw up in my mouth.
  10. From what little I've seen so far, he's chosen the title 'Stairway to heaven', which nicely identifies Scientology with a popular rock classic.

Scientology is not a stairway to heaven. It's a supposed stairway to uber mensch.

It sells promises of POWER.
  11. Tommy David has left and denounced Scientology? Where?

I'd like to see it.
  12. we've got some video footage in france for mister THEROUX might be interesting to see how kids are used in the evil greedy cult
  13. Theroux says he's found a creative solution to gaining access to Scientologists in good standing.

What could that mean?

A signed agreement before hand promising a pro-Scientology film?

He could still show critics criticizing Scientology but follow that by discrediting the critics.

Could he be that stupid?

It's probably not worth speculating about. When will this be available? In a year?

If he ends up promoting Scientology as a genuine religion, and Hubbard, and even Miscavige, as wanting to help people, although they've been misunderstood, and there have been mistakes, etc., and depicts the critics as not credible and with "axes to grind," then it will be a sad day.
  14. RightOn Member

So the COS is doing a docu on Theroux?
    EXCELLENT!
    Don't disturb them while they are doing what they do best....
    Crumbling
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

The Church of Scientology is making a documentary about Louis Theroux | Mashable

In another example of the church deciding that attack is the best form of defence, Scientology lawyers have told Theroux that he'll be the subject of a forthcoming film.

http://mashable.com/2015/04/24/scientology-louis-theroux/
    • Like Like x 1
  18. anon8109 Member

Does the Scientology corporation usually warn its victims about an upcoming fair game attack?

Doesn't the company usually just strike?

What was the purpose of the letter? Does Miscavige think that Theroux will simply drop the project?
  19. Anonymous Member

From Panopea Abrupta @ The Bunker:

DM makes a movie Panopea Abrupta.jpg

(Standing on Two, (count 'em) Two Apple Boxes!
    • Like Like x 2
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  21. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 13
  22. fishypants Moderator

Bear in mind that Theroux is an absolute genius at giving his interviewees enough rope to hang themselves.
    • Like Like x 5
  23. Incredulicide Member

I'm pretty sure by now his doco will give Indies and maybe Freezoners that rope. Perhaps even someone from Ron's Org will talk about OT 48 or something.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. jensting Member

meanwhile, this publicity just could not be bought for money! The BBC will have no way to back out of showing this. Good.
    • Like Like x 2
  25. DeathHamster Member

Scientology's fake news front WorldReligionNews reports that Louis Theroux says that Scientology will be making a documentary about Louis Theroux making a documentary about Scientology!

Yo-Dawg-Heard-You.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  26. anon8109 Member

Someone should make a documentary about that.
    • Like Like x 2
  27. GibbousWaxing Member

It's not hard to get footage of Scientologists in good standing practicing their religion. Marty did it (see Squrrel Busters pic, above).

Maybe that's Theroux's plan. Announce that he's making a documentary about Scn, Make sure he's seen in public with declared SPs, and film the Fair Game that follows. And if he's as good as people say he is, maybe he really could get the Scilons to spill some juicy bits.

I'll try not to get my hopes up too high in the meantime. Scientology is like prostate cancer: the best approach in many cases may be "watchful waiting".
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Malory Member

Louis is quite sympathetic and good at sniffing out pathos. That could be really damaging to the cult because Wee Davey wouldn't want the world seeing just how incredibly sad Scilons really are.

People have been scared, people have laughed but can you imagine ordinary members of the public pitying the ones still in the cult? Can you imagine the Mappins of Camelot Castle doing the usual boasting about their 'religion' and getting met with the equivalent of 'oh, you poor things'?
    • Like Like x 1
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

Should Louis Theroux be worried? What a Scientology ‘documentary’ actually looks like

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker

We thought it was very smart of filmmaker Louis Theroux to tweet last week that Scientology’s attorneys have told him the church plans to make a documentary about him now that his own film about Scientology is in the can.

We’ve been telling you for some time that Louis and the BBC have been working on a documentary about Scientology. Theroux recently said publicly that his film is going to be very different from Alex Gibney’s super-successful HBO movie, Going Clear, which turned out to be one of the most-watched documentaries in HBO history.

We first talked to producer Simon Chinn about his ideas for a theatrically-released feature film about Scientology three years ago. He told us then that he wanted Louis Theroux for it, and then he hired skilled director John Dower. Since then, we’ve been kept a little in the dark about the contents of the film (except for some rather generic BBC publicity about it), but we have a guess about its focus. For now, we’re going to keep that to ourselves.

In the meantime, Theroux needs to differentiate his film from Going Clear and build excitement for it. His decision to tweet about Scientology making a documentary about him was pretty brilliant. It got a huge amount of press around the world, and seemed to get people very excited.

But we had another reaction: When doesn’t Scientology make a “documentary” about the people who do exposés about the church, at least in recent years?

It would actually be pretty unusual for Scientology not to film something about Theroux, given the effort he’s put into his project in recent months.

So what can Theroux expect? Well, let’s take a look at the historical record. It turns out that Scientology counter-documentaries have a pretty predictable look and feel, and narrative style — we’re not sure what to call it, except perhaps “smeary.”

There may be earlier examples, but the first time we remember hearing about a Scientology counter-documentary, it involved BBC journalist John Sweeney blowing his top.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/04/27/sh...-scientology-documentary-actually-looks-like/
    • Like Like x 3
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology have sent Louis Theroux a folder of testimonials on leader David Miscavige

We previously reported that documentary filmmaker Louis Theroux was not only making a film on Scientology, but had been notified by the church that they were making one on him too.

All a little odd, but not to be unexpected given the reaction to the HBO produced, Alex Gibney doc, Going Clear.

Theroux's feature length doc for the BBC will see the light of day towards the end of the year, and the gifted Theroux has said that it's very different to Going Clear. Given his more personable approach to his subjects, this was probably a given.

Now, Scientology have decided to push the positive a bit more and have apparently sent Theroux a bunch of testimonials of under fire leader, David Miscavige.

Scientology has sent me a massive folder of testimonials about CoS leader David Miscavige. pic.twitter.com/Psmw7LNmtP
    — Louis Theroux (@louistheroux) April 27, 2015

LOOK! Everyone here thinks he's sound, sooooooo... please go away.

We are huge fans of Theroux, and while Going Clear was a fascinating watch, we're more intrigued by his take on the controversial religion.

http://entertainment.ie/tv/news/Sci...imonials-on-leader-David-Miscavige/363270.htm
    • Like Like x 3
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
  32. GibbousWaxing Member

Think of the best boss you ever had in your life.

The one you wished all bosses could be like.

Did he (or she) keep a huge binder of testimonials in his desk drawer to remind himself (or herself) of how beloved he (or she) was?

Didn't think so.
    • Like Like x 6
  33. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 6
  34. ravenanon Member

• Like Like x 6
  35. Quentinanon Member

Kind of like Kremlin agents checking the i.d. cards of Moscow residents then asking for their opinion of Vladimir Putin on video camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  36. DeathHamster Member

Perhaps testimonials are signed with initials?

"What do you mean, you want to verify them? We're a bonafides religion, you can trust us!"
    • Like Like x 3
  37. Any bets on whether the Scientology video will include clips of Theroux talking to the KKK or neo-Nazis and trying to pretend he's doing something other than goading them into saying stupid things on camera?
    • Like Like x 1
  38. He should ask to interview the authors of the testimonials.

As Scientologists, many of whom are Clear or OT, they should be able to communicate to a lowly humanoid.

And he certainly should ask to interview Miscavige.
  39. The Wrong Guy Member

Counter-documentaries: when subjects of investigation go on the attack

There’s a new trend in film, as organisations targeted by documentary-makers – such as the Church of Scientology – produce films discrediting their accusers. But are they enriching or endangering the discussion?

By Fred Wagner, The Guardian

Recently Louis Theroux revealed that the Church of Scientology is looking to neutralise his forthcoming documentary about them by producing their very own film about him. In the US there’s a saying that “the best defence is a good offence” and L Ron Hubbard, the founder of the religion, was a believer: “Don’t ever defend, always attack,” he once instructed his followers.

t’s not surprising then, that such “counter-documentaries” are a staple of the Church. They’ve done one on John Sweeney, the Panorama presenter who memorably lost his cool while interviewing Scientology’s then chief spokesman; they’ve done one on CNN’s Anderson Cooper and they’re likely to do one on any public figure who comes even remotely close to criticising them in broad daylight.

One imagines that somewhere in the belly of the Church’s “spiritual headquarters” in Florida, a rapid-response unit of counter-documentarians waits, ready to defend its honour. At the moment, it’s being kept on its toes: HBO recently released a hatchet-job Scientology documentary, Going Clear, and now Theroux, backed up by the producers of Man on Wire and Searching for Sugarman, is having a go at the subject as well.

In the right hands, a film about Theroux would be fascinating. As a presenter, he’s uniquely skilled at getting people to bare their souls on camera and, despite the usually pally relationships he strikes up, you wonder whether they always thank him for it after seeing the TV version of themselves. He’s made so many films that most people are familiar with his style but, as he’s always the one asking the questions, you realise you don’t actually know that much about him.

Judging by their past output, it’s unlikely the Church of Scientology will produce a nuanced or fair-minded investigation into Theroux’s methods. The 2007 counter-documentary about John Sweeney was an odd mixture of personal mudslinging and a more schoolmasterly tone that reprimanded the reporter for breaking the BBC’s code of conduct. Their piece on Anderson Cooper opened with a shameless dog-whistle: “Anderson Cooper pulled from his closet and dusted off a year-old media story.”

Continued here:
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...mentaries-louis-theroux-church-of-scientology
    • Like Like x 4