Customize

My Scientology Movie - Louis Theroux documentary

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by CommunicatorIC, Feb 10, 2014.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Promo pic released for Louis Theroux's much anticipated Scientology doc Stairway to Heaven

Louis Theroux has long been entertaining us with his fascinating documentaries on everything from insane asylums to LA's dogs. Now however he has decided to take on one of the most controversial institutions of the 21st century - Scientology.

Stairway to Heaven: Louis Theroux and the Church of Scientology will be a feature length documentary with the BBC and made by Oscar winning producer of Man on Wire, Simon Chinn.

The Scientology folk seem to have their eyes firmly on Theroux at the moment though and it's already reported that they are planning a counter documentary on him.

Don't know about you, but all this speculation is only making us want to see what Louis uncovers all the more.
    Have a look at the promo pic below, although a release date has yet to be announced.

scientology.jpg

Source and open comments:
    http://entertainment.ie/tv/news/Pro...Scientology-doc-Stairway-to-Heaven/364037.htm
    • Like Like x 10
  2. mojo Member

Louis Theroux has done lots of great stuff! Looking forward to this...dear Scientology - the hits just keep on coming!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. anon8109 Member

I love how the poster satirizes the flyers put out by the Scientology corporation.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. fishypants Moderator

5. sceptical Member

This could be a very interesting documentary, silly question maybe but do you think any scientologists will watch it? Are they actually made aware of films/documentaries and told not to watch it?
  6. jensting Member

• Like Like x 3
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

Jennifer Aniston's Scientology Terror | The National Enquirer

With her fiancé JUSTIN THEROUX'S cousin working on an anti-Scientology film, JENNIFER ANISTON is terrified the controversial church will target her!

“Jen knows Scientology can play dirty, which is why she’s always steered clear of them,” said a source.

Scientology has already put a bull’s-eye on British filmmaker Louis Theroux for his anti-Scientology project, sources said.

Now the former “Friends” star feels she and Justin may be collateral damage in the church’s terrifying fear tactics.

“Jen worries Scientology will try to embarrass her by revealing details about everything from her divorce with Brad Pitt to her struggles with infertility to her estrangement from her mom!” said a pal. “She’s begging Justin to get Louis to drop his project.”

Multiple reports in The National ENQUIRER, as well as a recent HBO documentary, have exposed the controversial religion’s insidious secret tactics, including blackmail, imprisonment and harassment.

Louis is working on his own indictment of the church in a BBC documentary titled, “Stairway to Heaven: Louis Theroux & The Church of Scientology.”

Despite Jen’s fears, he has no plans to scuttle the project.

“Louis is plowing forward,” said an insider. “He’s never used his connection to Jen to try to enhance his career, so he doesn’t see why he should have to censor himself.”

While Jen has “heard through the pipeline” that she and Justin will be targeted if Louis’ film is released, her pleas have fallen on deaf ears.

In fact, they’ve caused considerable tension between her and Justin, sources said.

“Justin says he has nothing to hide, and Jen should be standing up for artistic freedom, not selfishly worrying about her good-girl image,” said an insider. “But she’s just praying they come through this nightmare unscathed!” 

Source:
    http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/jennifer-anistons-scientology-terror

There's a 2009 thread about Jennifer Aniston here:

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/rumor-jennifer-aniston-with-scilon.37629/
    • Like Like x 4
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. RightOn Member

I don't' think Jennifer Anniston has anything to worry about, but hey, the COS keeps fucking up, maybe they will fuck up even more.
    And lets not forget the source.
    Anniston worked with Vonnie Ribisi (who played Phoebe's weird brother) on Friends. You would think if anything DID happen to her that he would be nice enough to tell them to back off. But we all know how that works. Prolly cost him more in auditing time if he made any waves.
    Again, all tin foily thinking
  10. fishypants Moderator

Any release date yet? I'm looking forward to watching it.
  11. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 8
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

Louis Theroux film — ‘My Scientology Movie’ — to premiere October 14 at the London Film Festival

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker

The BFI London Film Festival announced today that among the films it has selected for its 59th year will be My Scientology Movie, the highly anticipated BBC-backed Louis Theroux feature that will premiere on October 14.

Produced by Oscar-winner Simon Chinn and directed by John Dower, the film is presented by Theroux, who has made a career out of gently coaxing amazing interviews out of people in some of America’s strangest subcultures. And while he was filming this movie he became the target of Scientology’s camera-wielding crazies, as we reported last December.

In one incident, former Scientology executive Mark “Marty” Rathbun was filming scenes with Theroux at a Hollywood studio when, as they were exiting, they were ambushed by two older Scientologists carrying handheld cameras.

Judging by what the BBC put in a new brochure about the movie, Theroux is making good use of that and similar footage:

LouisTherouxMovie2-e1441058207200.jpg

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/09/01/lo...miere-october-14-at-the-london-film-festival/
    • Like Like x 7
  13. BFI London Film Festival: Louis Theroux Scientology doc to premiere

• Like Like x 6
  14. Ogsonofgroo Member

Frikken AWESOME!!!

Hopefully it makes it to YT as well and some open-source sites too!

Bwahahahahahaha-ha Scilontology, , flaps up, plane down, and the landings be getting harder and' harder.

And oh, fuck you OSA, David Miscavige and your minions, dead rotten Hubbard, and yer whole house of sticky-icky cards too!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. wolfbane Member

My Scientology Movie? Surely I'm not the only one stunned at how lame that sounds. And WTF happened to Stairway to Heaven? Compared to the early promo shown in post #121, this doesn't even sound like the same film. Sounds more like Revenge of the Squirrel Busters.
  16. BrainStorm Member

There was a new Scientology movie recently released. How many do they need to make?
    lol wolfbane, yea the name sounds stupid, "My little Diary" would be a better tittle.
  17. RightOn Member

????
    AS MANY AS POSSIBBLE!
    The more the general public knows about this insane abusive cult, the better.
    Take a clip board and go out on the street and ask people if they know about Scientology's front groups, (Narocnon in particular) if they ever heard of their Sea Organization, or what crimes and abuses Scientology commits or what Scientology is all about in general. AND ask them if they are aware that some of their tax dollars goes towards "picking up the slack" on all properties that are tax exempt and owned by them . (well, all churches for that matter).
    Then ask them if they think they should have tax exemption status, and if so, why? Ask them if they know what Scientology does for each town's social betterment.
    Their lack of knowledge will tell you that we need a LOT more movies.
    Bring 'em on!
    • Like Like x 4
  18. RightOn Member

Although a little juvenile sounding Wolfie, frankly I don't care if they call it Scientology vs Sharktopuss. :eek:
    As long as it gets out there.:D
    • Like Like x 1
  19. GibbousWaxing Member

At first I wondered why they changed the title, but then I thought they might have done a survey (no, Hubbard didn't invent Survey Tech!) and asked people what they thought a movie titled "Stairway to Heaven" would be about.

Hmm...yeah...you really have to already know it's about Scientology to appreciate the Stairway to Heaven title. If you just come across the title first, you might think its a Led Zeppelin docu, or even a Xtian fundie feel-good movie.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BrainStorm Member

• Like Like x 2
  21. Ogsonofgroo Member

^^^ frikken gibberish, so not surprised...^^^ (Brainstorm..... ???, bwahahahahahahahaha!)

peabrain.png

ugh.
  22. Broadcast: Louis Theroux Scientology doc lands theatrical release

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/...-doc-lands-theatrical-release/5092324.article

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Louis Theroux’s first theatrical feature documentary, My Scientology Movie, is to launch at this year’s London Film Festival.

The documentary is backed by BBC Films and BBC Worldwide and will premiere on 14 October.

The film is produced by Oscar-winner Simon Chinn through his indie Red Box Films, which is a sister company to Channel 4-backed indie Lightbox. Chinn previously produced Man on Wire and Searching for Sugar Man. It is directed by John Dower.

The film will follow Theroux as he explores the Church of Scientology and attempt to enter the Church’s headquarters in Los Angeles. Inspired by the Church’s use of filming techniques, and aided by ex-members of the organisation, it will dramatise incidents experienced by those who have left the religion.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 3
  23. East Grinstead Online: Louis Theroux’s “My Scientology Movie” to premier on 14 October

http://bluebelldigital.co.uk/eastgr...y-scientology-movie-to-premier-on-14-october/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

But in the making of the movie Theroux found himself targeted by Scientologists keen to make their own film about him.

In one incident Theroux and former high-ranking Scientologist Mark “Marty” Rathbun were ambushed by two older Scientologists carrying handheld cameras as they left a Hollywood studio.

The BBC brochure about the documentary says “Louis Theroux is making a movie about the Church of Scientology and, it turns out, the Church of Scientology is also making a movie about Louis Theroux.”

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 5
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

Back in London for the next Scientology summit, featuring Russell Miller!

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, October 13, 2015

We’re on the move again, and this time it’s a return to London. It was just two months ago that we were here for a talk at Conway Hall with BBC reporter John Sweeney and our publisher, Humfrey Hunter.

Tomorrow, we will be on hand as the BBC-backed “My Scientology Film” with Louis Theroux debuts at the London Film Festival. But today, well, we’re in for a treat. Thanks to the hard work of the Bunker’s own i-Betty, we’ll finally get to meet one of our journalistic idols, Bare-Faced Messiah author Russell Miller. We hear he’ll be holding court along with the Underground Bunker’s great friend, historian Jon Atack. Even better, Karen de la Carriere will be joining us after flying over from Los Angeles.

We hope that wherever we end up, we’ll have a connection and can post a photo or two. Theroux’s film gets its premiere on Wednesday evening, and we’ll bring you some reporting from the scene.

Source and comments:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/13/ba...-scientology-summit-featuring-russell-miller/
    • Like Like x 5
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

'My Scientology Movie' Documentary Maker at London Film Festival

The BBC regular's first non-TV feature documentary is having its world premiere at the festival.

By Alex Ritman, The Hollywood Reporter

He’s a well-known face in the U.K. after hosting quirky BBC documentaries for almost two decades, but Louis Theroux’s U.S. profile could be on the rise following his first feature doc, about the Church of Scientology.

Speaking at an event at the BFI London Film Festival, where the BBC Films- and BBC Worldwide-backed My Scientology Movie, directed by John Dower and produced by Simon Chinn (Searching for Sugar Man, Man on Wire), is having its world premiere on Wednesday, Theroux described the trouble with making a documentary about an organization that had no intention of letting him anywhere near its members.

“I remember thinking, ‘They’re not going to want us to cover them. Are we just going to be running up and kicking them in the goolies [private parts] – figuratively – and then seeing how they react?' ” he joked. “I really had to spend a long time thinking about why it was an important story to tell, why is it OK."

Theroux joked that Scientology had referred to him as a "trivial sleazehound…that’s not actually the word they used" and had no interest in helping with the documentary. “They said, ‘We’re not interested in cooperating in your film about our amazing church, which is saving millions of lives on planets all around the solar system,' " he quipped. "That’s a joke -- they don’t believe that and they disagree that I said that."

But the filmmaker said he felt he had a “valid case” to explore the subject via former church members.

“The people who are upset about Scientology and have left Scientology, they have a valid subjectivity," he said. "They’re inviting us in, and part of us understanding them is understanding what Scientology is. So that’s how I got my head around the ‘not being invited’ thing.”

A short clip from My Scientology Movie showed Theroux in an awkward confrontation with a church representative on a road in the U.S., presumably near a Scientology location. In the snippet, Theroux is also being filmed by one of the church members, seemingly backing up claims he made earlier in the year in which he said he’d been told the church was making a documentary about him.

Source:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/my-scientology-movie-documentary-maker-831627
    • Like Like x 8
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
  27. http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...scientology-movie-i-felt-like-id-been-blooded

I’ve always been fascinated by Scientology – intrigued by its status as a 20th-century religion (founded by a colourful, self-mythologising science-fiction writer), and oddly beguiled by its glossy promotional videos. It’s an unlikely combination of religion, science, spirituality and a Fortune 500 corporation. Leaving ethical questions to one side, there is something wonderfully American about an organisation that uses the business model of McDonald’s to sell enlightenment and salvation. True believers of Scientology seem to know with utmost certainty that they have found the answer to the deepest riddles of all time – they may or may not be right, but that kind of self-belief is very appealing.........

The Scientologists’ strikeback started about two months into filming. I had begun worrying that the church might have given up counter-investigating. I’ve never been so relieved to have an unidentified pair of people show up and start filming me in a random creepy way from across the road. After studying the subject for years, watching countless YouTube videos of Scientology handlers filming critics and journalists, it felt amazing to be on the receiving end myself: I felt like I’d been blooded.

A torrent of letters from Scientology lawyers also began pouring in. The gist of them was: 1) By talking to ex-members, you are creating a skewed picture of our church (conveniently ignoring that we would have been happy to talk to active members, but none were forthcoming); and 2) Would you do this to Justin Welby, the archbishop of Canterbury? (Answer: Yes, if 20 or more ex-colleagues were alleging that they had either seen or been on the receiving end of his physical abuse.)

More at link above

My Scientology Movie is at the BFI London film festival on 14 and 17 October, and on wider cinematic release soon.

• Like Like x 5
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

My Scientology Movie: Louis Theroux’s doc premieres tonight at the London Film Festival

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, October 14, 2015

More than three years ago, we first heard from producer Simon Chinn that he planned to make a feature film about Scientology that would star Louis Theroux. Since then, the BBC-backed producer hired a director named John Dower, won an Oscar (for Searching for Sugar Man), and tonight will finally reveal what he and Dower and Theroux have been up to.

We’re on the scene, and we’re really looking forward to tonight’s premiere of My Scientology Movie at the London Film Festival. We’ve been enjoying Theroux’s work since we first ran across him as a correspondent on Michael Moore’s 1990s series TV Nation. Theroux’s deadpan humor and fascination for America’s quirky subcultures should be a perfect fit for the Church of Scientology, which reportedly did its best to keep him from getting any access to its members and ended up sending people to film Louis as he filmed them (which is going on in the picture, above).

We really don’t know what to expect from this film — here it is the day of the premiere and we haven’t even seen a trailer from the BBC — but we’re ready for a great experience and we’ll tell you what we can after we’ve seen it.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/14/my...remieres-tonight-at-the-london-film-festival/
    • Like Like x 3
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

My Scientology Movie review: 'gloriously funny' | The Telegraph

It's no hard-hitting exposé, but Louis Theroux's attempt to get under Scientology's skin is a giddy, Pythonesque delight

Excerpt:

His efforts in Los Angeles to speak to their current membership meet with stony refusal, so only the apostates come forward: figures such as Marty Rathbun, former “Mister Fixit” of the organisation, and now Public Enemy No. 1, as far as the church and its much-feared leader, David Miscavige, are concerned.

Last two paragraphs:

Twice Theroux loiters on the boundaries of Gold Base, the church’s compound in Southern California, and gets in contretemps with a human guard dog called Catherine Fraser, which reach Pythonesque heights of gleeful weirdness: he milks these showdowns for all they’re worth.

The one truly disingenuous note is Theroux pretending to harbour a “dream” at the start that he might have been the one person to discover Scientology’s “more positive side”. Yeah, right. It's all wickedly tendentious mischief, but when it's this gloriously funny, the points score themselves.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/my-scientology-movie/review/
    • Like Like x 6
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

Ex-Scientologists: David Miscavige Is a Terrorist | The Daily Beast

A new documentary on the secretive religion claims that the Church of Scientology’s leader, David Miscavige, is employing “terroristic” techniques to silence their critics.

Former high-ranking Scientologists claim the church and its autocratic leader, David Miscavige, have taken on the modus operandi of a terrorist network in the latest documentary film to examine the secretive religion.

The BBC’s My Scientology Movie places the spotlight on the church’s extraordinary alleged attempts to control the actions of both its members and its ex-members.

Tom DeVocht, a Scientologist from 1977-2005, claims the church’s inner-workings have evolved into a system of devotion on a par with the fanatical recruiters and brainwashers of al-Qaeda and the so-called Islamic State widely known as ISIS.

“This is the only thing I can tell you: You’ve got people who wrap bombs around themselves, fly planes into buildings — it’s the same thing,” he said. “You believe so much… they can convince you of anything.”

Marty Rathbun, who was a Scientology executive until 2004, claimed Miscavige had become increasingly malevolent and was now employing “terroristic” techniques in order to silence his critics.

He described the church as “the most pernicious, dangerous cult the Western world has known in the past 50 years.”

Statements from the Church of Scientology flash up throughout the movie. They vehemently deny all of the allegations made against them and Miscavige.

The filmmaker, Louis Theroux, claimed he was attempting to make a more sympathetic movie after HBO’s controversial documentary Going Clear and an upcoming exposé called Troublemaker from actress Leah Remini — who was one of the church’s most high-profile Hollywood believers.

“My dream was that I might be the first journalist to see another, more positive, side of the church,” says Theroux as the movie begins.

It soon becomes clear that this isn’t going to happen. “My approaches were all turned down,” he explained. A white SUV then appeared in the rear-view mirror and it’s obvious that the church is going to do more than ignore Theroux.

“After four hours of the same car behind you it starts to look quite suspicious… He’s right behind us now,” he says breathlessly. “What you’ve got to remember is that this is a church. It’s not like any church you can really think of.”

Unidentified cameramen, drivers, and church officials repeatedly approach the crew to disrupt the filming, but the former Scientologists interviewed seem to endure far worse.

Rathbun — who describes his former role in the church hierarchy as “ the baddest ass dude in Scientology” — is confronted by teams of Scientologists who taunt and interrogate him on both occasions that he travels to Los Angeles to take part in the filming.

Continued here:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...tologists-david-miscavige-is-a-terrorist.html
    • Like Like x 5
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  32. Ogsonofgroo Member

Frikken awesome! Go-go-go-go Louis Theroux! Hope I get a chance to see this film soon, sounds totally entertaining, but I suspect a bit of a wait until YT or some such *sad*
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Tim Robey's review makes me happy in my pants.

Can't wait to watch the film and enjoy Louis Theroux's drole, quintessentially English, and yet very distinctive perspective, which always leaves you with the slightly ambiguous, unsettling feeling of 'is this guy for real?'

Robey's final paragraph can help you with that.
    • Like Like x 2
  34. I have not seen it yet, and the reviews sound great, BUT my disappointment is that the BBC keep making films based on scientology in the USA. Come on someone, there is the Life and Times of LRH in Saint Hill and its significance in scion history, IAS and all that shit. Life in East Grinstead. There are the empty and dilapidated orgs, Birmingham, Sunderland, Plymouth, not to mention the huge London org and Manchester. There are the highly entertaining Happi chaps in Scotland and last but not least John Mappin!!!!!
    • Like Like x 6
  35. Over at the Bunker right now, i-Betty just posted pics of John Alex Wood at the cinema where the premiere is being shown tonight at 8:45 pm local time. I expect he'll be full of praise for the 'giddy, Pythonesque delight' with his love (sadly unrequited, at least by Eric Idle) of the Pythons. ;)
    • Like Like x 3