Customize

My Scientology Movie - Louis Theroux documentary

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by CommunicatorIC, Feb 10, 2014.

1. [IMG]

[IMG]
  2. mojo Member

Celebrity Center in Los Angeles – an Admirals Club Lounge for its spiritual frequent flyers and VIPs - LOL - - cheesy is, as cheesy does!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tony Ortega's review of Theroux's My Scientology Movie is up.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/15/lo...y-movie-a-hilarious-take-on-an-unfunny-bunch/

I do enjoy his turn of phrase. This one seems to capture Louis' character in a nutshell:

'...preternaturally calm Englishman...'. Wish I'd written that.

Apparently, Theroux challenges Marty Rathbun's conduct as the second in command of the criminal cult, and Marty became very upset - some say he came across as unhinged at one point.

Given his experiences, both inside an insane cult, and outside, having his family stalked for years, it should not come as a surprise if it took a toll on his mental well-being.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

Guy Lodge ‏@GuyLodge 13 hours ago
    Louis Theroux's My Scientology Movie rocks: it's a riotous alternative to Going Clear, but I shivered as I laughed.

‘My Scientology Movie’ Review: Louis Theroux’s Funny, Nervy Church Doc | Variety

Louis Theroux delivers another blow to the enigmatic church's public image in this irreverent but unnerving doc.

By Guy Lodge

The very title “My Scientology Movie” suggests a juvenile goof-off on a serious subject. It could even be read as a dryly self-deprecating acknowledgment — as befits writer-presenter Louis Theroux’s very British demeanor — of its shagginess in the wake of Alex Gibney’s searing Scientology inquiry “Going Clear” earlier this year. Underestimate Theroux at your peril, however: His and director John Dower’s approach may be a lot daffier than Gibney’s, complete with casting sessions for a fake Tom Cruise and an uninvited cameo from a bikini-clad starlet, but this riotously funny doc yields its own penetrating insights into the fiercely guarded administration of the church that Ron built. It’s also a witty essay on the politics of surveillance, as it emerges that Theroux is in turn being filmed by those he’s investigating — a twist as anxiety-inducing as it is absurd. Ancillary returns, given a still-hot topic and Theroux’s substantial following, should impress the pic’s auditors.

Continued here, with open comments:
    https://variety.com/2015/film/festivals/my-scientology-movie-review-1201616874/

Guy Lodge ‏@GuyLodge 13 hours ago
    Hats off to actor @AndrewPerez3D, a mesmerising Miscavige in MY SCIENTOLOGY MOVIE reenactments. Into my Best Supporting Actor list he goes.

Louis Theroux ‏@louistheroux 52 minutes ago
    Louis Theroux Retweeted Guy Lodge
    Yes!
    • Like Like x 5
  5. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientologist goes to Louis Theroux screening!

John Alex Wood is seen before the screening of the Louis Theroux documentary "My Scientology Movie". He was not spotted in the actual theatre, and we can only assume he chose not to soak up the "etheta" and he did not stay for the Q&A at the end.

Louis Theroux Premiere Interview - My Scientology Movie

Cassam Looch from HeyUGuys interviews filmmaker Louis Theroux at the London Film Festival Premiere of his feature-length documentary 'My Scientology Movie' based on the cult / church.

Producer Simon Chinn Premiere Interview - My Scientology Movie

Cassam Looch from HeyUGuys interviews Producer Simon Chinn at the London Film Festival Premiere of Louis Theroux's 'My Scientology Movie' - the feature movie based on the cult / church.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query="My Scientology Movie"
    • Like Like x 6
  6. sallysock Member

Really appreciated T.O.'s excellent write up. I haven't yet had a chance to read the others but I haz question:
    Was Marty at the premiere? I assume that he would be, but haven't seen (or maybe I missed) any mention of it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Malory Member

No, he didn't attend but people were saying he'd seen it.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Karen made the following observations on ESMB.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...-to-premiere&p=1067987&viewfull=1#post1067987

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

I wanted to share a few thoughts on this Louis Theroux documentary.

I loved it. Every moment of it and I did not look at my watch even once to see how far through.

If anything, it ended too soon, could have watched another hour effortlessly.

Louis Theroux made Marty Rathbun the film director for the re-enactment scenes. He directed the electrifying sequence of SP hole with the brilliant Actor who played David Miscavige. Immediately before it is hysterically funny with Louis Theroux screaming at an Ashtray to Stand up ! Sit down ! and doing hard TRs with Marty. The audience is shaking with laughter and bam, the SP hole sequence is suddenly there with full violence slamming against walls, getting inmates to crawl on hands and knees and lick the floor. It is stunning. Marty tells Louis Theroux that the actor is *channeling* David Miscavige, he was that good.

I cannot give away all the priceless moments. I can state that from beginning to end you feel how the cult is continuing by the day to become more and more mentally unhinged. You do not feel for one second that it is a *Church* or *Religion*. You continue to connect the dots for yourself and Louis cleverly lets you deduce from his footage how a cult can descend into its own brand of Cuckoo's nest.

Please know that there were internal restrictions by the BBC and BBC lawyers so it is utterly amazing and fabulous that they did air what they did. There was one upset between Marty and Louis Theroux but it was a minor clip and in Question and Answer time after the movie, Louis did state that Marty saw the final version and really liked it with full approval.

Louis also stated that Marty was still some sort of believer when the film started and by the end of the movie told Louis how he was Done with all of it.

Tony Ortega and myself are thanked at the end of the film for our help back channels. Here's a picture of Tony, myself and Keith Poole Senior Editor at the Daily Mail (that posts on Scientology breaking news relentlessly.) We were attending the special cocktail party for the invitees prior to the screening.

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *
    • Like Like x 5
  9. The Upcoming: My Scientology Movie

http://www.theupcoming.co.uk/2015/10/17/london-film-festival-2015-my-scientology-movie-review/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Melissa Hoban

[Melissa Hoban on Twitter]

Public screenings
    17th October 2015 3:15pm at Vue West End

My Scientology Movie must have felt like starting anew in the field of documentary for the award-winning prolific documentarian Louis Theroux as he embarked upon a piece on someone who hadn’t invited him to film with him. In the face of significantly limited access to what he is used to Theroux does not crumble. He continues to try to gain an unbiased understanding of the world of Scientology without their involvement which naturally, for a following concerned in their secrecy and controlled propaganda, only results in provoking them to become involved in a purely negative light.

Louis Theroux, with the involvement of shamed ex-communicated Scientologist Marty Rathbun, sheds light on the secretive world Scientology has created. World is the right word here, involving a completely different ethos to how the social hierarchy unbeknownst to most, based on fiscal commitment and a propagation of beliefs that takes on a biblical dialogue in the description of the fate of non-believers – that of an eternal fiery damnation. With Academy Award-winning producer Simon Chinn, who brought the world Searching for Sugarman and Man on Wire, this film gives an engaging and provocative look behind the Hollywood façade Scientology propagates itself from.

Theroux in collaboration with director John Dower doesn’t just rest on the numerous affidavits of those who have left, he hires actors to resemble all that embodies the leader, David Miscavige’s mannerisms, with disturbing results. With an apparent egomaniac at the helm defined by a manner of justified aggression one has to wonder about the sinister undertones discovered at the Scientology campus, the floodlights triggered by inside motion sensors for anyone brave enough to tackle the razor-lined wire fences and the numerous allegations of physical and emotional abuse suffered at the leader’s hands.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

Letters: The new Theroux Scientology documentary | East Grinstead Online

Quote:

This new BBC documentary by Louis Theroux had its premiere during the London Film Festival, and is both entertaining and well worth seeing, particularly given the local prominence of the sect – or religion – depending on one’s point of view.

Louis Theroux adopts an original approach, effectively making a documentary about the difficulties of making a documentary about Scientology.

And this is the puzzle – if the organisation has nothing to hide, why does its every action appear to indicate the opposite?

Scientology refused to co-operate with the makers of the film, denied the team entry to the razor-wired headquarters, and sent out their own camera to “make a documentary about Louis Theroux”.

This results in a bizarre scene where the crew is shooting the Scientology team filming Louis Theroux recording them on his mobile. A white SUV appears to tail the unit, and letters from libel lawyers flowed regularly.

Given the past record of the film maker, it would have seemed more sensible to have helped rather than hindered, and taken the opportunity to put forward the organisation’s own point of view.

Because Louis Theroux was unable to get any co-operation from Scientology, he used actors to recreate some of the techniques they employ, based on input from three or four senior defectors from the organisation.

One can’t tell whether these are accurate, but some are disturbing, particularly the use of “The Hole”, an alleged HQ punishment block for failing members.

Scientology naturally denies this is true.

The portrayal of David Miscavige, the leader of the sect, is especially worrying.

Members won’t agree, but Louis Theroux gives the impression of trying to be as fair as possible – he doesn’t make much, if anything, of Scientology’s more way-out beliefs, the high cost of their programmes gets only a couple of passing mentions, and he accepts (as he also did in the Q and A after the showing) that some of their counselling techniques may well be of value.

He also incorporates much of their own promotional material. He just appears baffled as to why they can’t be more open about what they do.

Clearly the editing of a film like this can both clarify or distort the truth, so whether this film (which apparently took two years to make) is a reasonable picture of Scientology is impossible for an outsider to say.

But it does raise a number of uncomfortable issues.

Name and address withheld

Source:
    http://bluebelldigital.co.uk/eastgr...ters-the-new-theroux-scientology-documentary/
    • Like Like x 5
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

My Scientology Movie – BFI LFF Gala Screening – Louis Theroux, Simon Chinn, John Dower

Published by PremiereScene on October 17, 2015

At the British Film Institute London Film Festival, Premiere Scene’s Mike Jonas and Anthony Bueno attend the red carpet of My Scientology Movie. Join us as we interview documentarian Louis Theroux, producer Simon Chinn and director John Dower as we delve even deeper into their investigation into the infamous religion known as Scientology.
    • Like Like x 4
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

BFI London Film Fest Review: Louis Theroux Takes On Xenu With Documentary ‘My Scientology Movie’

First two paragraphs:

Probably because it’s completely barking mad, we seem to be endlessly fascinated by Scientology. The religion/cult, discovered/made up by sci-fi author L. Ron Hubbard, has been the subject of endless speculation in its half-century history, partly thanks to its secretive nature. But despite it counting a number of major movie stars among its ranks (or more likely, because of that fact), cinematic investigations of Hubbard’s creation had mostly been limited to John Travolta’s propaganda movie flop “Battlefield Earth.”

But things have changed of late. Paul Thomas Anderson’s thinly-veiled story of the founding of the religion, “The Master,” was followed within a couple of years by Alex Gibney’s scintillating exposé documentary, “Going Clear,” which was released earlier this year. Now, we get another non-fiction examination of the phenomenon, with John Dower’s “My Scientology Movie,” fronted by the well-known British journalist/presenter Louis Theroux and produced by Simon Chinn, who was behind “Man On Wire” and “Searching For Sugar Man.”

Last two paragraphs:

It’s when members of Scientology break their own rules and do get involved that the film really soars. Theroux’s attempts at approaching the church’s buildings are invariably met with wild overreactions, normally from senior member Catherine Fraser, and the filmmakers find absurd, almost Kafka-esque humor in the scenes where (alleged) Scientologists intimidate Rathbun and his team with their own cameras, usually with deep ineptness. It’s these scenes that are probably the most damning, and prove that however rigorous Gibney might have been, Theroux’s understated approach using mockery and British stubbornness might prove far more damaging.

The main character makes an engaging guide as well as a humorous one, and putting the process in the foreground helps to make it a film that’s highly entertaining even in its more familiar, or least fruitful, sections. But when you reach the end without much resolution, it also becomes clear that the film’s relative lack of rigor, as amiable as it might be, will nag long before its more humorous elements have faded. [B-]

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...ith-documentary-my-scientology-movie-20151019
    • Like Like x 3
  13. RightOn Member

"completely barking mad,"
    Here that DM?
    But I guess in his case it would be squeaking mad.
  14. So, I am a dumbass. A late to the game person, if you will.

I have never watched a Louis Theroux anything. Didn't even occur to me. So, anyway I was looking for pirated versions of his scilon flick. Found none (or else I would be posting, lol)

Watch this. If you don't like it, you probably won't go down the rabbit hole like I did:
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

British Scientology Doc Maker Discusses Taking on the Church (Q&A)

Louis Theroux says he was aware his life could "get turned upside down" in making 'My Scientology Movie,' which premiered at the London Film Festival.

By Alex Ritman, The Hollywood Reporter

Excerpt:

The Hollywood Reporter spoke to Theroux about his fears on taking on the church, his relief on seeing Going Clear and what he’d say to Miscavige should he be invited for a cigar on his veranda. [The Church did not respond to a request for comment on his claims.]

Of all the subjects that you’ve covered over the years – Ultra Zionists, Neo-Nazis and the Westboro Baptist Church for example – did you have any fears that Scientology might be the one that would come back to haunt you, given how relentless the church can be in pursuing those who speak against it?

Absolutely. I’m well acquainted with coverage that’s happened in the past and that it has sometimes led to journalists being investigated by Scientologists. But where possible I go into subjects looking for a win-win. I’m not a sociopath, I’m a journalist. There is a difference. Most of the time I’m able to make shows where I get access and tell the truth without alienating or upsetting the people I’m with. Clearly, with Scientology, I was aware that that was a less likely scenario. Partly because the access wasn’t there, but also because they are notoriously sensitive to anything they perceive as criticism. So I didn’t just want to wantonly and gratuitously attack them. I needed to figure out, if they’re saying, "no, don’t cover us because you’re a trivial tabloid-style journalist," what’s my reason for saying, "I’m going to do it anyway." But I was aware that my life could get turned upside down if they did aggressively come after me.

Are there any skeletons in your closet you’re worried they might unearth? There was a famous doc in the U.K. with shamed PR guru Max Clifford where he got you in the papers for visiting a strip club with him. Surely Scientology is an altogether different beast?

I had shades of the Max Clifford one in my head, which of all the things I’ve made was probably the most stressful, because he sort of used my celebrity such as it is against me and I felt he was playing dirty. So I felt this could happen again. It could still happen. So far, I’ve been tailed by PIs, I’ve had people filming me that I later learned were Scientologists but at the time refused to identify themselves, and I had my contributors harassed and abused verbally. So I’ve had all that, but it’s felt manageable and in a weird way quite enjoyable because we’ve been able to document it and put it in the film. But if that were to continue I’m sure it would start to get very old. Do I have skeletons? I think everyone has skeletons, and everyone has things that they wouldn’t want to have read in the papers about them. So that’s a bit worrying, but until it happens I’m trying not to lose sleep over it.

How long did it take for the legal department to go over the film?

Gosh. Quite a long time. We were finishing it off while the legal stuff was going on, but then we’d sort of felt like we’d wanted to finish it and legal stuff did slightly delay the edit. The minute we got our first letters [from the church's legal reps], in the middle of last year we referred them to our lawyers. So you could argue that it’s taken over a year of legal. Once we were in the edit, we showed it to them and there were conversations about what we should say, what we were required to say, the BBC right to reply process, which is partly legal but also related to the BBC’s reputation for impartiality.

Have you had any interaction with the Church since the screening?

One of my policies has been just to try to be as open and candid, and as magnanimous as possible in our approach to the subject and to the way we release the film. We’ve always had an open door policy, in so far as that any Scientologist who wanted to talk to us I thought should be involved. As it happened, there came an offer for them to get involved at a point where we were done with the editing, but I don’t know whether it was in good faith or not. There was a guy on Twitter who I knew to be a Scientologist, who I followed and I think he followed me back. He’s a prominent British Scientologist and I happened to meet him and he said he was interested in seeing the film. I arranged for him to get a ticket but then when I emailed him asking if he was coming along he didn’t get back to me. He’s sort of gone a bit quiet on me.

Do you know if he’s seen it?

He was at the screening. Some other people saw him there. I got reliable reports that he was there. Whether there were others I don’t know. Maybe there were. I try not to be paranoid. I don’t want to talk about Scientologists as though "oh my goodness there could be one here now"... like reds under the bed.

You’re hoping to get a U.S. theatrical release. Are there any fears that once there the response from Church could escalate?

Gosh, I hadn’t really thought about that. I guess America’s bigger, so it would be more cinemas, a higher profile. So would the reaction from the church be bigger? I think it would be.

Have you seen Going Clear?

Yes I have. I'm a fan of Alex Gibney. Taxi to the Dark Side is one of my favorite documentaries and the Enron one I liked a lot. So I always knew that I’d enjoy it. What I was reassured by, when I saw it, was that I sort of felt that it did leave room for us. I was aware when we were making it that he was making his which, naturally, made us as a production think a lot about what we could do differently. Occasionally, I felt like Captain Scott getting to the South Pole weeks after Amundsen and seeing the Norwegian flag already there. But I don't think the analogy is that apt, because what we’ve done is attempting to do it my way, and he did it his way. His way is a kind of advocacy journalism, it’s a polemical approach, which is totally valid. And ours is more of a character study and also looks into some of the comical sides of it while doing justice to the serious stuff as well. It’s subjective, it’s My Scientology Movie; a first person account of my attempts to grapple in an open-minded way with this much discussed and rather controversial religion.

You revealed a few months ago that you’d heard – via your lawyers – that the Church of Scientology was planning to make a doc about you. Do you know what’s happened to it?

I’m not being glib about this, but I think they’re still working on it. They’re probably running it by their legal department to make sure it’s not defamatory about me. But I fully expect it to be released. But onto the internet let’s say, perhaps not into cinemas. But I wouldn’t be the first person they’ve done this too. I think there’s a little film they did about Gibney. They may be doing another one. They did a video about Marty Rathbun, who features in our film. Calling them documentaries is perhaps a little over generous. I guess that’s subjective in it’s own way – they are kind of moving images with sounds and voiceover. But they’re very short, about 10-15 minutes. For the Marty Rathbone one they were alleging that he was abusive and psychotic, and interviewed people anonymously who would say that they’d been beaten up by Marty and stuff like that. I can’t imagine what they’re going to do on me. Whether they’d actually interview people who I’ve worked with and find things like, "he farted and then left the room." I hope it is that.

You often do follow-ups with your subjects a few years after the first encounter. Would you do another doc on Scientology?

If they do make this documentary about me, it would be nice to somehow fold that into the bigger picture, so possibly as extra material. If Scientologists ever come to a screening and ask questions in a confrontational way, or are angry about what I’ve done, it would be nice to somehow make that part of the story. But that would maybe lend itself more to an article about the experience. But in the future, if they ever opened the doors – I think it’s unlikely but not outside the realms of possibility – I think at that point everything changes.

So if you were to get, say, 30 minutes with Miscavige, what would you say to him?

You would have to address the allegations of abuse. I don’t think he’d be saying "come and smoke a cigar on my veranda and we’ll drink whisky and play Backgammon." I think he’d say "you’ve got half an hour in a room, set your cameras up and I’ll come in and answer your questions." I don’t think he’d ever do that but if he did I would say "how do you explain why there are more than 20 ex-members who worked closely with you who allege that they were either on the receiving end or witnessed physical abuse?" That would be a good opener. Do you think that would make for a polite and jaunty mood?

How has your opinion of the church changed since you started out making the film?

My goal in making these programs, making programs in general, is always to try to see the human side of people who have been in someway misunderstood or viewed as controversial. And in a sense that was the case here, which is a lot harder to do because we weren’t literally inside the walls of Scientology itself. But I still think we managed to do it and I think we came to understand what Scientology is in a deep way and how it causes ordinary human beings to behave in extraordinary ways.

More here:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/british-scientology-doc-maker-discusses-832891
    • Like Like x 5
  18. DeathHamster Member

It would have been really good for Marty to have several years away from anything Scientology, but he never had that chance.

It's as if a lot of his memories when he was in are still locked behind the RTC-Marty personality and he can't think about them objectively. Gerry Armstrong is still The Great Enemy; he never sent PIs to harass reporters, except wait, someone under him did; they would never kill pets, except he wouldn't put it past them to kill pets; kids were off-limits, except they were never off-limits. It's like he was flipping channels on MartyTV.

He's made a lot of progress over the years, but he still (as of when that was shot) has to come to grips with himself, and that can't be easy. I'd suggest therapy, but he'd have to find someone with experience in this type of problem, be proof against OSA harassment, and there's the Eeeevil Psychs conditioning to get past.
    • Like Like x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

Louis Theroux reveals what he knows about Scientology doc being made about him | Entertainment.ie

This article references the one above, and concludes with:

Theroux reckons they're looking for skeletons in his closet, and everyone has them. But he went in with his eyes open knowing this may happen.

My Scientology Movie screened at The London Film Festival last week to excellent reviews. There's no release date yet for Ireland, but we can't wait to see it.

http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news...ientology-doc-being-made-about-him/372064.htm
    • Like Like x 2
  20. TrevAnon Member

:D
    • Like Like x 3
  21. LOL
    • Like Like x 3
  22. TrevAnon Member

^ Great minds think alike.
    • Like Like x 4
  23. failboat Member

• Like Like x 5
  24. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 2
  25. Deadline: Tribeca 2016 Unveils Final Half Of Slate: ‘Elvis & Nixon’, Tom Hanks & More

http://deadline.com/2016/03/final-h...-a-hologram-for-the-king-and-more-1201716144/

My Scientology Movie, directed by John Dower, written by John Dower and Louis Theroux. (U.K.) – International Premiere, Documentary. BBC journalist Louis Theroux joins forces with director John Dower to explore the elusive Church of Scientology. With the help of a former high-ranking Scientologist, Theroux sets out to understand the furtive goings-on of the Church, armed with his irreverent humor and biting irony.

• Like Like x 1
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

Louis Theroux’s My Scientology Movie at Tribeca

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, March 9, 2016

Louis Theroux’s hilarious documentary My Scientology Movie will be getting its US premiere next month at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York, and Theroux himself sounded pretty excited about it yesterday as the news broke.

I could not be more excited to announce that #MyScientologyMovie will be showing at @Tribeca film festival in NYC. #tribeca2016

— Louis Theroux (@louistheroux) March 8, 2016

When we saw that, we immediately messaged him, asking if he would be attending the premiere himself.
    “With bells on. (And BTs),” he responded.

We also asked John Dower, the film’s director, how he felt about his movie debuting in this country at Robert De Niro’s famous film festival.

“It’s bloody great!” he responded.

When we get more information about the date that the film is showing, we’ll let you know.

http://tonyortega.org/2016/03/09/sc...k-from-david-miscaviges-office-and-residence/
    • Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 5
  27. My Scientology Movie: Watch an exclusive clip from the Tribeca doc

Entertainment Weekly: My Scientology Movie: Watch an exclusive clip from the Tribeca doc

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/06/tribeca-louis-theroux-scientology

Video at link.

My Scientology Movie

Posted April 6 2016 — 10:31 AM EDT

With the screening-at-Tribeca documentary My Scientology Movie, British documentarian and TV personality Louis Theroux fulfils a longheld dream by making a film about the titular organization.

“More than 10 years ago, I approached the church to see if they might let me in to make a documentary,” says Theroux in a statement. “I thought I might be able to bring a sense of nuance and perspective to people’s understanding of a faith that has been much ridiculed. Just as I have done with other non-mainstream stories, I hoped to see it from the inside and make a human connection with its clerics and congregants. But I was repeatedly turned down.”

Eventually, Theroux teamed with director John Dower and the pair set about detailing the story of the church using re-enactments of real events.

“In the course of making my film I came to believe I was being tailed by private investigators, someone in Clearwater, Florida (Scientology’s spiritual mecca) attempted to hack my emails, we were filmed covertly, I also had the police called on me more than once, not to mention a blizzard of legal letters from Scientology lawyers,” says Theroux. “And yet, at every step I remained open to Scientology’s good points and tried to see it for what it is: a system of belief that is not so different from other religions, capable of enlarging the soul as well as crushing the spirit.”

• Like Like x 6
  28. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 2
  29. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 2
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

31. Catherine:
    • Like Like x 1
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

The new teaser for Louis Theroux's Scientology movie is tense and infuriating | SBS Movies

The new clip illustrates the difficulties Theroux faced while filming "My Scientology Movie" as they attempt to block him from accessing the Sea Org, despite having a permit to do so.

http://www.sbs.com.au/movies/articl...rouxs-scientology-movie-tense-and-infuriating

Louis Theroux Is Creepily Harassed By Scientologists In New Doco Teaser | Pedestrian TV

http://www.pedestrian.tv/news/enter...ogis/f84d06be-d55e-43b0-b9a2-13cd38aeee1d.htm
    • Like Like x 1
  33. My Scientology Movie: Watch the first clip from Louis Theroux's documentary.

Independent: My Scientology Movie: Watch the first clip from Louis Theroux's documentary
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...from-louis-therouxs-documentary-a6972596.html

Video at link.

Although Louis Theroux’s My Scientology Movie debuted at the London Film Festival last year, no footage from the project has appeared online, nor has it received a wide release.

Thanks to the documentary showing at the Tribeca Film Festival, a clip has finally emerged online and in it, Theroux meets a fairly disruptive member of the Church.

“You’re trespassing,” implores Catherine the Scientologist, “Are you so stupid you cannot see the sign that says road closed? Is there anything you don’t understand about this? Closed? Do you know what a road is?”

Theroux attempts to show he has a permit to be there, but to no avail as she enters her car, leaving just one man outside the vehicle filming the BBC journalist.

• Like Like x 2
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 3
  35. RightOn Member

^bravo to Seymour for packing so much damaging info in that short interview! WOW

Love that he said "Whatever you do, do not take a Scientology personality test"
    My sword Sir!
    • Like Like x 2
  36. failboat Member

This article is more of an overview of Scientology as a cultural obsession since the Tom Cruise couch-jumping incident. It also promotes the American debut of Theroux's film at Tribeca. Worth the read.

WHY IS POP CULTURE STILL SO DAMN OBSESSED WITH SCIENTOLOGY?

<snip>
    On the heels of last year’s groundbreaking and superb HBO documentary Going Clear, British documentarian Louis Theroux is making our dreams (and his) come true with a new film on the organization, appropriately titled My Scientology Movie. If we’ve learned anything about Scientology from all of this, it’s that the religion is a gift that keeps on giving year after year. So what keeps us coming back for more despite David Miscavige’s bone-chilling wrath? It might have something to do with the fact that Scientology sounds less like a real religion and more like something that was ripped straight out of a TV movie made to be broadcast on Lifetime and SyFy simultaneously.
    <snip>

[IMG]
    The Church of Scientology hasn’t remained a steadfast object of curiosity for so many years just because it’s crazy, though. There are plenty of crazy cults in the world. What makes this one so special is that it has an intimate relationship with Hollywood that doesn’t start and end at Tom Cruise. Everyone from Kirstie Alley and Juliette Lewis to Elizabeth Moss and John Travolta has fallen into the religion’s web of spirituality. And as everyone knows, the only thing we love more than crazy alien cult stories are crazy alien cult stories that famous people are swept up in. Theroux’s premiere at the TriBeCa Film Festival cannot come soon enough.

More at source - https://mi.lk/articles/why-is-pop-culture-still-so-damn-obsessed-with-scientology/
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Wall Street Journal: Tribeca Festival: Films to Catch The First Week

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-look-at-tribeca-film-festival-selections-1460575674

By STEVE DOLLAR

Updated April 13, 2016 6:13 p.m. ET

Week one of the 2016 Tribeca Film Festival begins in earnest today, with screenings at a variety of downtown venues. There are 102 features in the lineup, ranging from documentary to independent and foreign-language films to all-star Hollywood attractions. Below, a look at some promising selections. See tribecafilm.com/filmguide for screening times.

[SNIP]

‘My Scientology Movie’

British TV provocateur Louis Theroux stars in “My Scientology Movie,” in which Marty Rathbun, a former top member of the church, leads dramatic reconstructions of disturbing events—played by a cast of anonymous actors, including a would-be Tom Cruise. Things get awkwardly meta and meltdowns ensue when presumed Scientologists begin following Mr. Theroux around with their own cameras.

• Like Like x 2