Customize

My Scientology Movie - Louis Theroux documentary

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by CommunicatorIC, Feb 10, 2014.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Video: Scientology - Louis Theroux talks about his first theatrical release | Belfast Telegraph

Documentary maker Louis Theroux admits that he wanted to experience harassment from the Scientologists whilst filming his documentary about the religion, and suggests he would have been disappointed if he did not receive extra attention.

My Scientology Movie is out now in cinemas across the UK.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/v...ut-his-first-theatrical-release-35111803.html
  2. Incredulicide Member

Video Waybacked
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

My Scientology Movie review Ireland

Fiona O'leary, October 9, 2016
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

Louis Theroux: ‘I don’t want to just run up to Scientology and punch it on the nose’ | British Film Institute

Excerpt:

“If you went down there,” Theroux tells me, “and said ‘I’m curious about you’, they’d say ‘Come on in, we can really help you. Would you mind filling out this questionnaire? It could really help you in your life and when we look at the results we can recommend some courses.’

“‘L. Ron Hubbard’s a brilliant, brilliant man’” – this is still the hypothetical Scientologist speaking, Theroux is at pains to clarify – “‘and based on his teachings we could structure a series of things for you that would amazingly improve your ability to communicate, make you have better relationships in your private life, do better at work and be happier and more successful.’

“Now, if you went in there and said ‘I want to do a story on you’ – different reaction. I don’t know what would happen but I expect they’d say ‘Talk to our communications office’, and then it probably wouldn’t lead anywhere.”

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/...-scientology-movie-tom-cruise-david-miscavige
  5. The Wrong Guy Member

Piers Morgan challenges Church of Scientology after branding followers 'sinister little weirdos' live on TV

The presenter has been trolled by followers and is convinced they want to 'shut down the truth'

By Nicola Agius, Mirror Online

Quote:

Piers Morgan has challenged the Church of Scientology.

The presenter, who claims he has been trolled by members of the 'religion', has asked followers to come on Good Morning Britain to defend their beliefs.

He is convinced that they are hiding dark secrets and dislike journalists investigating the faith.

Desperate to take them on in a live TV debate, he fumed: "Come on you gutless cowards. We think you're a bunch of sinister little weirdos!"

Piers was discussing the subject in light of Louis Theroux's new documentary, My Scientology Movie.

He was joined on the GMB sofa by Panorama journalist John Sweeney who also claims he was targeted by members of the church while conducting an investigation into the faith.

Opening up about his experience with scientologists, the reporter said: "It's dark stuff. It's a space alien cult. Members like Tom Cruise will say it's a good religion but ex-members claim it's all about mind-control. They brainwash people. It really is bonkers."

He continued: "I remember when we did our Panorama investigation, they came chasing after us! Why did they do that? Clearly because they have something to hide."

Piers admitted he had also been on the receiving end of abuse after writing columns about Scientology.

"I was bombarded by an army of people whose only job is to shut down the truth!" he said.

More here, including video clips:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/piers-morgan-challenges-church-scientology-9020646
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. Spangly Member

I got the chance to see this yesterday in central London - it's damn good and I recommend getting to a legit screening if you can, or buying the DVD when it comes out. It deserves to be financially supported.

Also I can't help but wonder if there were other anons or robustly anti-sci people in the same screening. A few specific laughs at details that only us lot would get. (Like Louis adopting the word "enturbulated" without having introduced it in the film)
    • Like Like x 5
  8. afternon Member

I plan on seeing it this weekend- I expect it'll be a little bit lighter than "Going Clear" (which was thorough and hard hitting but had nothing new for us Anons to chew on). I love the trailer where Louis is so reasonable with the mono syllabic scilons sent to bullbait him they look nuts and reprehensible and he simply stands his ground with patience and humour.
  9. afternon Member

Saw it last night- I wasn't expecting to see anything new but the whole way the film was constructed and how Louis interviewed people made it a unique approach, the guy who was cast to play David Miscavige did an incredible job- and the usual harassment that the cult use to dissuade journalists was handled really well by Louis- the insanity and inflexibility of the culties and their creepy behaviour was very evident.

It's not deeply researched journalism like Going Clear but it does show an entertaining and revealing approach- Marty is not given an easy ride by Louis at all and there are tense moments as well as light hearted and funny ones.

Fans of Louis who haven't had an interest in the scientology cult will be introduced to the subject and the vile psycho terrorism that the cult use.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

11. The Wrong Guy Member

“Do I Look Brainwashed To You?” – Louis Theroux’s My Scientology Movie

By Edward Dixon, VultureHound

First paragraph:

Of all of the Louis Theroux canon to date, my favourite of his contributions to journalism is his description of BBC reporter John Sweeney going “shouty-crackers” when continually hounded by Scientology members when filming a documentary about the church. You can imagine my excitement upon finding out Theroux was to take on the church in a documentary of his own.

Last paragraph:

One of Theroux’s greatest skills as a documentary maker is to present the blackly comic aspects of his subjects, to draw out the funny side, without making light of their essential moral and intellectual wrongness. Also, his commitment in attempting to portray his subjects as real people with good intentions, is never more apparent than it is in this film. Theroux is continuously thwarted by a high-ranking church member, Catherine Fraser, as he attempts to film outside one of the church’s buildings. Coincidentally, Fraser happens to be the ex-wife of Jefferson Hawkins, one of the contributors to this documentary and author of Counterfeit Dreams, a book about the church and his defection from it. Hawkins, when asked by Theroux, says his ex-wife is “trapped in a not-good system” but knows she is a “good person at heart.” And that’s probably the perception of Scientology most accurately conveyed in this film – well-intentioned people tricked into working for an organisation with a heart of darkness. As funny and ludicrous scientology may seem to us (and is), it has ruined the lives of real people trapped in its beliefs and there are some who may never get out.

http://vulturehound.co.uk/2016/10/d...is-therouxs-my-scientology-movie-film-review/
  12. sceptical Member

Watched it last night, I was a little bit disappointed with it to be honest. He didn't and was never going to be able to get a two sided view point on this documentary and it lacked any real purpose, so I don't think he achieved what he originally had set out to achieve. It was almost pointless which is a shame.
  13. What is certain is that Louis Theroux's documentaries will be difficult for some to get.

When you are daily and continuously bombarded by a seemingly endless series of hotheads feverishly upping the ante in real or faux outrage at the topic of the day, it takes some kind of re-calibration of the emotions to appreciate the subtlety of Louis' approach.

Louis embodies timeless values of reasonableness and fairness, with a certain understated firmness in the face of dogma and hate. I hope more people will learn to appreciate such thoughtfulness and care above the ranting that is standard fare in the media.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. CarterUSP Member

Watched it, loved it. My review:
    As well as being fascinatingly entertaining I think it succeeded in doing what it set out to do which is to give a fair and humanising representation of its subjects. Theroux is well known for giving fringe groups and indviduals room to express themselves in their own words in their own way, giving the audience a greater empathy with even the most twisted and degraded ridges of society. For those of us well acquainted with the myriad range of critical scientology documentaries out there, there may not have been any new facts and information, but Theroux has given us a fresh and accessible look at the subject.
    Theroux tries to look positively where he can on those we would otherwise be quick to condemn; here the actual scientologists themselves do much greater damage to their own reputations than anything else in the documentary could have. Theroux is disarmingly unflappable in the face of scientologist attempts to intimidate and we get a sense of their frustration that their tech doesn't work on him (and fear that miscavige will punish them for failing to handle the situation).
    As a critic of scientology, one way I judge any documentary like this is to ask if this is all someone knew about scientology, how would it inform and protect them against being victims of the cult themselves. Theroux's documentary does this brilliantly, letting paranoid, oppressive, creepy cultists show how paranoid, oppressive and creepy their cult is by their own words and actions. Theroux even gives us the most candid view of someone like Rathbun, leaving us with a sliver of sympathy for the guy who is now reaping even a tiny bit of all of the damage he had sown in countless others for years.
    Theroux's popularity as a documentary maker means that many out there who wouldn't ever touch something like Going Clear will get to watch a film that shows the cult to be a nasty, insidious, dangerous organisation headed by a psychotic villain that they should stay far, far away from.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  15. sceptical Member

Fair point, in reflection after it being a while since seeing it I do agree.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology Used Leah Remini to Recruit Me | Steven Mango

Celebrities, such as Leah Remini, were used to recruit new actors like myself into the Scientology Celebrity Centre. Networking seminars, fancy galas, and a celebrity mentorship with Tom Cruise: Scientology promised everything imaginable to help launch my career. Little did I know, they were all empty promises used to get my credit card number and ultimate devotion to their organization.

My Video “Inside The Scientology Celebrity Centre”: youtube.com/watch?v=LfKqOUMrCw8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 3
  17. RightOn Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. ravenanon Member

Wonderful news! I would love to see Leah show up to the premier
    • Like Like x 1
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

20. VIDEO: Filming My Scientology Movie with Louis Theroux, by Steven Mango.

* * * * * BEGIN INTRODUCTION * * * * *

Published on Jan 23, 2017

I wanted to share my experience filming My Scientology Movie with Louis Theroux and BBC Films. I was very excited to have had the opportunity to share my story about Scientology. I wanted to take you guys back to 2014 and give you the scoop on what actually happened on set of the film all the way up to the premiere in NYC at the Tribeca Film Festival.

My Scientology Movie will be in theaters in the USA on March 10. It will also be available On Demand and on Amazon Video!

Have you seen the film? Please comment your thoughts below! Don’t forget: please subscribe to my channel!

Blog Post (Check out my new blog!): http://blog.mangotology.com/2017/01/filming-my-scientology-movie-with-louis.html

My Second Channel (Please watch & subscribe!): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcrJ75OhMxTdAo3sswP2Y1w

Contact Information and Links:

Email: mangoman7591@gmail.com
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/stevenmango
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steven-Mango/193362217358970
    IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3571017/
    Press/Media Contact: mangoman7591@gmail.com

* * * * * END INTRODUCTION * * * * *
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

Louis Theroux’s ‘My Scientology Movie’ is named Best Film at the VO5 NME Awards 2017

The documentary looks at the mysterious religion

By Damian Jones, NME

Quote:

The VO5 NME Awards 2017 prize for Best Film has gone to Louis Theroux’s ‘My Scientology Movie’.

In the film, the renowned documentary-maker explores the mysterious religion of Scientology. It beat Hollywood blockbusters Deadpool, Captain America: Civil War and Suicide Squad, the Richard Linklater-directed Everybody Wants Some!! And the Sam Neill-starring Hunt For The Wilderpeople.

The award was presented to Theroux by Adam Buxton. Accepting the accolade, Theroux said: “Thank you, simmer down. A big, big thank to NME, to everyone who voted, a big thank you to my wife, who’s had a baby while I was making this film. He’s now two and a half years old.

“But there’s one person out there that made this film possible and that is Tom Cruise. He wouldn’t be in the film but Tom if you’re out there please call my agent, let’s do an expose, I’ve already got already got a title – My Scientology Sequel.”

Director John Dower added: “We had a lot of fun making this film, we thought the Church Of Scientology were out there, and then Donald Trump came along. Thanks to Louis, my producer, editor. Who needs BAFTA when you can win a fucking NME Award?”

Source: http://www.nme.com/news/music/louis...e-named-best-film-vo5-nme-awards-2017-1976592
    • Like Like x 3
  22. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1