Customize

NA files: Question about names and addresses

Discussion in 'UK National Archives' started by Horseradish, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Horseradish Member

I have a bunch of letters, some handwritten, sent to the UK Ministry of Health.
    There appear to be no redactions (unlike the MEPO files documents).
    There are names and addresses on the letters.

One (where I have checked the name online) seems to be from someone who is still/now a scientologist (???)
    Others are clearly from concerned family members e.g. parents of those who have joined the cult.

I'm kind of surprised that these personal details have been left in there... but then the letters are from the 1960s.

Should I be concerned about posting?
  2. I would err on the side of caution, names and addresses particularly of concerned family members should not be posted. DIY redaction?
  3. Horseradish Member

I'm still trying to get my head around their application of FOI exemptions. In the MEPO files, they've redacted the names of office holders that would be public information i.e. not just the names of private individuals. In this file nothing is redacted.

I now need to figure out how to DIY redact. So far, I've been using Mac file Preview to crop and size, but...
  4. Anonymous Member

Mac Preview supplies tools to Annotate a file. For example, a wide black line (or two) through a name will redact the information. Other colors possible, of course.
  5. Horseradish Member