Customize

NASHVILLE, TN --- Tickets given to two Anons putting up Flyers

Discussion in 'Leaks & Legal' started by twistedpuppet, Nov 26, 2008.

1. twistedpuppet Member

NASHVILLE, TN --- Tickets given to two Anons putting up Flyers

Two of our rank went out flyering today. They received tickets for putting flyers on telephone poles. Some stupid ordinance that the don't even enforce. Metro usually doesn't give two shits about this obscure law, seeing as there are so many concert posters AND scilon flyers on poles. They have court in January and both of them are going to fight the ticket.
  2. m.a.patton Member

Re: NASHVILLE, TN --- Tickets given to two Anons putting up Flyers

Now the Scilons will probably namefag them. This sucks.
  3. amaX Member

Damn. Sorry to hear this and I hope they beat the tix.
  4. twistedpuppet Member

Yeah, the name fagging is a possibility. However, there is no real way of knowing if the scilons actually called it in or not seeing as it was an undercover cop that gave them the tix. They should be able to fight this. The ordinance is rarely enforced and big names and small names alike violate it on a daily basis. I bet there's even flyers up advertising for the Tennessee Titans. Anyways, they'll be on later to post. They have some pics they need to put up too.
  5. Chester Member

I'm thinking maybe you should edit their nicks out of the OP. Just sayin.
  6. m.a.patton Member

I agree. Since the scilons monitor this forum, I would remove their names or even delete the thread. I wish them the best of luck.

M.A.Patton
  7. Consensus Member

Be familiar with the law.

Y'know. Or you can't really complain.

This sucks, but it's not a scilon plot and it's not an 'injustice.' Take your lumps, pay your fine, hope they don't namefag you, and move on.
  8. twistedpuppet Member

I was on the phone with them when I posted the original post. They specifically wanted names in there. I'll edit for now tho. I should also note that we've been doing this for months and this is the first time cops have gotten pissy about it.
  9. mko Member

Up in Buffalo it cuts both ways - they said explicitly that while we couldn't tape up to the signs, neither could the sciops and had no issue with us ripping down the sciops' posters.
  10. Re: NASHVILLE, TN --- Tickets given to two Anons putting up Flyers

Looks like the MAN in N-tOwn needs money bad.

With the economy in the toilet, the local law dogs will be doing a lot of writing ticket to keep the machine fed.
  11. juche Member

Despite being passed and/or talked to amiably by all police since, oh, I don't know, forever, as twistedpuppet said, lol ticket >/.

That undercover cop had the most massive gun ever. We're talking like... assault rifle. No clue why he'd need an assault rifle in Nashville, but perhaps there's some seedy underbelly I'm not aware of here. And he had the butt of it basically sitting staring at us within grabbing distance the entire time we were talking to him. It was scary :(.

The cop insisted that we weren't allowed to wear masks on any day besides Halloween but for whatever reason dropped that at the same time I started dropping the names of some of his coworkers as people I'd been in contact with in the past. When he issued the citation, there's nothing there for masks at all. I find myself wondering if balaclava would be permitted in his world, but eh, who knows. All I know is we have video evidence of us talking to the cops with our masks on, multiple cops, and they've never mentioned it to us before. In fact, until today, we had nothing but good things with cops. I guess all good things must come to an end :/.

I called Elby to tell her about what happened and she told me that one of the cops she'd been in contact (I won't name names here) with told her that flyering was fine as long as it wasn't done on the college campuses around the org (Vandy and Belmont, for those keeping score). I peeked at the laws when I got home and they say that signs require permits, so I guess the definition of sign is moderately broad considering the statute says that permits are especially required for electric signs. That would be one epic-ass sign. But nay, our flyers are but wee 8 1/2 by 11 papers.

After being told that he would gladly arrest us if we didn't stop what we were doing, we just walked over to the CC with sunglasses on and listened to some music, got some good honks (buses, ambulances, Mack trucks), talked to some people, handed out flyers and pamphlets then went home.

tl;dr -- it wasn't a total loss, just really, really annoying and upsetting. I'm desperate to get more people to join us but I've now run out of ideas :/.
  12. ravenanon Member

For whatever its not worth
    1) Cops do read this forums. Ask me how I know.
    2) Go have a sit down with cops. There is nothing better than a face to face. They can see you aren't an insane cyberterrorist. Take lots of info that is well documented.

Now that I've told you the obvious I'll butt out and wish you guys the best.
  13. anonimage Member

How do you know?
  14. juche Member

This isn't directed to me, but I know that one of the detectives in the Metro Nashville PD read Enturb because he was in constant contact with one of our Anon. No clue if he made the migration though -- a lot of our Anon didn't make the transition, so probably he didn't either >/.
  15. desudesuchan Member

my mind is still blown that cops were spoken too/witnessed the flyering not 2 days before, stopped and talked to the anons, even joking with them, and left them on their merry way not even a mile and a half away from where they were cited. something just doesn't seem kosher. OY vey!
  16. rawrz Member

BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA, that's why I put up my flyers at night when they can't actually see me put them up. ...BWA-HA-HA-HA
  17. juche Member

What about the fact that a regular cop car came up and got fuel at the gas station not two minutes earlier without bothering us?
  18. desudesuchan Member

he was still there when the cop was writing our citations. i pointed him out to the officer, as the one getting gas drove fairly close to us as he pulled into the lot and had to have noticed what we were doing before the second officer pulled in..

and as far as my nick being attached to the thread... no prob... keep my enturbulatin nick, my regular nick, and my name all carefully seperated....
    heck i only gave the local cell members a name to call me a couple months ago and been at this since march... would love to post a scan of the ticket... but methinks that might be a bit much as i think about it.
  19. twistedpuppet Member

I would think that posting a pic of the ticket is definitely a bit much. If getting the ticket doesn't get you name fagged, posting a pic of it even with your name blurred is sure to get you name fagged.
  20. Re: NASHVILLE, TN --- Tickets given to two Anons putting up Flyers

As I recall, it's always been illegal to post on telephone poles if you use metal objects (nails, tacks, staples) but tape was allowed. The reason was because the pole climbers use spikes and other metal objects on the poles can make it dangerous for them. Check with the local electric company (if you're talking about being ticketed for posting on wooden poles) as they would know the real skinny on that... since the poles likely belong to them (not Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County).

Find out what ordinance the cop ticketed for. Signage violations?
  21. twistedpuppet Member

Good idea. We should definitely do that. Did you come to one of our previous protests? I don't remember seeing you post in here before.
  22. desudesuchan Member

ok so the code we were cited under was code and section 6.4.020 i'm trying to find out the exact wording and whatnot, but the metro nashville website is about as useless as tits on a boar hog....
  23. Re: NASHVILLE, TN --- Tickets given to two Anons putting up Flyers

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=14214&sid=42

Chapter 6.04 ADVERTISING SIGNS AND OTHER ADVERTISING METHODS
    Sections:
    6.04.010 Prohibited on posts and poles.
    6.04.020 Prohibited on street, sidewalk and thoroughfare surfaces.
    6.04.030 Exemptions from provisions of Sections 6.04.010 and 6.04.020.
    6.04.040 Consent of property owner and occupant required when.
    6.04.050 Circulars or handbills--Distribution permitted when.
    6.04.060 Conflict of provisions.
    6.04.070 Removing or defacing lawful advertising prohibited.
    6.04.080 Metal signs on street markers permitted when.
    6.04.090 Loudspeakers and noisy instruments prohibited--Exceptions.

6.04.010 Prohibited on posts and poles.
    It is unlawful for any person to affix in any manner any sign, placard, poster, card, banner or other indicia of the interests of any person, group or organization on any post or pole, including, but not limited to, light and telephone poles, on any street, sidewalk, thoroughfare or public right-of-way within the jurisdiction of the metropolitan government.
    (Prior code § 3-1-1)

It is unlawful for any person to affix in any manner, permanent or temporary, any words, phrases or advertising matter upon the surface of any street, sidewalk or other thoroughfare within the jurisdiction of the metropolitan government.
    (Prior code § 3-1-2)
  24. desudesuchan Member

lulzs just found it myself a moment ago. a lil bummed but i'll get over it.
  25. ravenanon Member

The idea that sci will try to influence the police into believing their way is too be assumed. Its well documented they do this everywhere. Smart police will Google search and find this forum. Are police keep an eye on this. They have even talked to us about the videos they are in on youtube.
  26. Forseti Member

Unfortunately, nearly every city and town has local municipal codes forbidding posting signs and adverts on poles like that.

Normally, cites are NOT public information. Police reports are public information, but the names and addresses are usually blacked out before copies are issued to anyone.

Police reports are NOT written for muni-code violations and infractions.

With that said:

It is unlawful for any person to affix in any manner, permanent or temporary, any words, phrases or advertising matter upon the surface of any street, sidewalk or other thoroughfare within the jurisdiction of the metropolitan government.

The section refers to the "surfaces" of streets, sidewalks, and thoroughfares. It does not say anything about utility poles or other surfaces. You might be able to beat the ticket based on being cited for the incorrect section, although the fine is probably very low.
  27. desudesuchan Member

according to the ticket the fine is $104.15
  28. juche Member

Again, what the hell was he talking about with the $60 thing?
  29. desudesuchan Member

i dunno... but i like that technicality that forseti mentioned. Hopefully yours has the same error.
  30. What law, specifically, are you referring to? Can you post a link to it?
  31. It happened in 2008 you fool.