Customize

Neil Gaiman stands with Scientology!

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by krampus, Feb 15, 2010.

1. krampus Member

Neil Gaiman stands with Scientology!

In the New Yorker Profile on Neil Gaiman, written by Scientology “Go To” girl, Dana Goodyear, Gaiman states that he stands with Scientology and takes the Scientology view point that they are being “persecuted.”

Dana Goodyear also wrote this warm and fuzzy profile of Scientology’s Celebrity Center, which seems to be devoid of any actual journalism.

Letter from California: Château Scientology : The New Yorker

Dana Goodyear’s big moment comes when she decides to throw Gaiman a long, slow softball:

“The pivotal fact of Gaiman’s childhood is one that appears nowhere in his fiction and is periodically removed from his Wikipedia page by the site’s editors. When he was five, his family moved to East Grinstead, the center of English Scientology, where his parents began taking Dianetics classes. His father, a real-estate developer, and his mother, a pharmacist, founded a vitamin shop, G & G Foods, which is still operational. (According to its Web site, it supplies the Human Detoxification Programme, a course of vitamins, supplements, and other alleged purification techniques, which Scientology offers at disaster sites like Chernobyl and Ground Zero.) In the seventies, his father, who died last year, began working in Scientology’s public-relations wing and over time rose high in the organization. Gaiman has two younger sisters, both still active in Scientology; one of them works for the church in Los Angeles, and the other helps run the family businesses.”

“These days, Gaiman tends to avoid questions about his faith, but says he is not a Scientologist. Like Judaism, Scientology is the religion of his family, and he feels some solidarity with them. “I will stand with groups when I feel like they’re being properly persecuted,” he told me.”

Although Gaiman claims he is not a Scientologist, his name was just posted on The Ex-Scientologist’s board in the Cornerstone Newsletter (circa November 2009) scroll down to the CORNERSTONE CLUB MEMBERS [1315] [$35,000.00]

Mary & Neil Gaiman are prominently listed.

$142 million plus given to Super Power Scam - Ex Scientologist Message Board
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: Neil Gaiman stands with Scientology!

IIRC, this is the recycling of some quotes from weeks or months ago.
  3. krampus Member

I just read it, it's new to me.

Here's the full post with the Cornerstone newsletter listing.

4. Re: Neil Gaiman stands with Scientology!

Thanks for posting this.

Here is Mark Bunker at the Human Trafficing conference:

Human Trafficking Press Conference : XENU TV

He talks about how there are three types of Scientologists; the celebrities, the management and the Sea Org members who suffer the brunt of the abuse.

He also talks about how the Celebrity Scientologists seem to be completely unaware of what happens to the Sea Org members.

But Gaiman ran a Sea Org, so I believe he is just an arrogant prick who thinks he has super human powers and that "accountability" is too low on the tone scale for him.
  5. tazor Member

I'm just wondering if we are "properly persecuting" the cult. I'd hate to think we were improperly persecuting them.

That would just suck.
  6. Herro Member

what the fuck is a neil gaiman?
  7. whoever Member

Do a search. Neil Gaiman has been discussed exhaustively in other threads (one of them very recent).

Do a search. Neil Gaiman has been discussed exhaustively in other threads (one of them very recent).
  8. Anonymous Member

[IMG]
  9. Anonymous Member

Mr and Mrs "I Google You" will be thrilled that you've never heard of them.
  10. Anonymous Member

Careful. Many of the mods around here just lurve zerro.

(Hint: It involves knee pads and Astroglide)

"And that's 'bout all I can say 'bout that."

-- Forrest Gump
  11. krampus Member

Geez. The interwebs wuz giving me trouble so I posted without exhaustively searching all other posts!

crazy-cat.jpg

Sorry I iz.
  12. Anonymous Member

Truly boggles the mind - this many fools and their money.

Amazingly, Anonymous with virtually no money exposes the fraud and abuse while a dwarf burns up all that money on private investigators, likely blackmail, useless PR, idle orgs and who knows what other foolishness.

Guess having lots of money has nothing to do with how fucking stupid people might be when it comes to wasting that money.
  13. AnonyVix Member

“I will stand with groups when I feel like they’re being properly persecuted,” he told me.”

Actually quite a non committal statement that could be taken either way. He doesn't say so I support scientology does he, he merely says he will support groups he feels are being properly persecuted. A hint that perhaps he doesn't feel the organisation calling itself the church of scientology is really being persecuted.

Let's face it Gaiman like anyone with family in the cult trends a difficult path between natural bonds and loyalties and dislike for the cult.

Some take the plunge and be true to themselves while others try to please themselves and the cult members of the family so constantly live a lie. Sad really but understandable.
  14. Re: Neil Gaiman stands with Scientology!

Except Gaiman is lying.

Neil Gaiman is listed in Scientology's Cornerstone Newsletter in 2009 as having contributed $35,000.00 dollars, that's two months before this interview was published!

Neil Gaiman is a lying, manipulating hypocrite who FUNDS the cult.

Any Scientologist listed in the Cornerstone Newsletter is a member of Scientology in good standing.

Gaiman is trying weasel his way through the questions about Scientology the same way he weasels his way through life.

It's hard to have any respect for such a coward.
  15. Anonymous Member

Inb4 rehash of same old arguments...

Shit, too late
  16. Anonymous Member

Why should people read this first?
  17. Anonymous Member

18. Herro Member

Holy shit you guys, I don't know if anyone has made a thread about this yet, but there was some serious drama going on in the dome earlier involving magoo and MPB.
  19. AnotherSock Member

There was a 'Freda Gaiman' listed in the HCO Ethics Order 'RACKET EXPOSED 6th March 1968', if it's genuine. Any relation?
  20. Re: Neil Gaiman stands with Scientology!

It seems logical because Freda Gaiman was a UK operative and was a player during David Gaiman's hay-day.

Freda Gaiman was declared suppressive and then reinstated, since only names of Scientologists in good standing appear on the Cornerstone list.

From Wikpedia:
    L. Ron Hubbard calls for murder of 12 Scientologists

Another interesting document where Freda appears:

Why the U.S. is Slave to Israel - the Scientology Connection - alt.religion.scientology | Google Groups

Other key Commonwealth operatives were sent in or activated (some
    of them sleepers already in place). Considering the scope and
    importance of the intelligence operation, it seems to have been a
    relatively modest investment of covert personnel, but it was
    vital for the Western allies to keep it as contained as possible.
    Considerable evidence has mounted suggesting that among the most
    important Commonwealth operatives were:

Norman F. Starkey; South Africa
    Ken Urquhart; Wales, United Kingdom
    Tony Hitchman; United Kingdom
    Laurel (Watson) Sullivan; Canada
    Gerald "Gerry" Armstrong; Canada
    Terri (Gillham/Armstrong) Gamboa; Australia
    Janice Gillham; Australia
    Hana (Eltringham) Whitfield; Rhodesia
    Mike Rinder; South Africa
    David Mayo; New Zealand
    Tony Dunleavy; Australia
    Kima (Dunleavy) Douglas; Australia
    Brian Livingston; New Zealand
    David Gaiman; United Kingdom, Mossad connections
    Freda Gaiman; United Kingdom, Mossad connections
    Jane Kember; United Kingdom
    Robin Scott; United Kingdom
    Leo Johnson; Australia
    Irene (Johnson/Dunleavy/Howey) Dirmann; Australia

David and Neil Gaiman were disconnected, then reconnected and apologized to so possibly Freda experienced a similar fate.
  21. Anonymous Member

The Gaimans are people who were recruited into the cult but were never living off rice and beans. At the time they started out, having businesses relating to the cult (as long as you paid in) were allowed. They've wasted their lives on the cult and are out of pocket because of it but always made sure they were relatively comfortable. So Neil Gaimen and second generation scientologists like him have no real incentive to speak out against the abuses - he's alright jack.
  22. Anonymous Member

Neil Gaiman cosies up to Harlan Ellison in "Dreams with Sharp Teeth". With stuff like this doing the rounds, it makes you wonder how naif he really is:

23. krampus Member

Ex-members of Scientology remember Neil Gaiman and his sisters selling sodas and snack foods at St. Hill, East Grinstead. The Gaiman children were always too good for the Sea Org. Instead, they were groomed for upper management or in Neil's case, given the publishing connections he needed through the Wealden House Writing program.

Neil Gaiman learned a pattern of deceit and exploitation from his father David Gaiman.

Check out the Birmingham land deal where David Gaiman makes 3 million pounds ripping off fellow "parishioners" then donates 250.000.00 pounds to Scientology.

How cynical are the Gaiman clan? It's hard to say... they go on the Freewinds for group holidays and David and Sheila took all the upper levels.

It can be seductive to believe you are superior to others and apparently Neil Gaiman holds the belief that Scientologists are being persecuted... a surprising lack of sympathy for the Lisa McPherson's of the world. Or has Neil Gaiman been trained from birth to ignore all criticism and critical thinking?

The Gaiman clan are arrogant and exploitive elitists... in other words, typical Scientologists.
  24. Anonymous Member

Okay, I don't feel like wading through this thread. What definitive proof do we have that Neil Gaiman(NOT DAVID) is a scientologist. And don't spout the "he was born in it" crap. Neil didn't speak with his father for much of the end of his life.
  25. Anonymous Member

I agree with the last poster. There's many second generation scientologists who are not going up the bridge despite being brought up in it, they make no donations to the cult but do not speak out about it. Their parents always put 'and family' on donations to IAS or building projects to make it look like they're all still involved in the cult.

Neil Gaiman was educated separate to the cult - despite his parent's involvement he went to the steiner school, not greenfields.
  26. Anonymous Member

See prior thread re: Neil Gaiman, Patron
  27. Anonymous Member

Sorry.
    The evidence you're looking for is in the meat of the thread. If you can't feel bothered to read, not much we can help you with.

I disagree with the (samefag) last two posters.
    But I agree with the last posting by the same person, under a different sock.

here's a tl;dr:

Neil had some earlier strong cult involvement.
    His former wife was definitely a Scientologist.
    He sortof buggered off from that, and eventually was disconnected from
    from family. For reasons not precisely clear but pretty obvious in outline, he eventually reconnected back with family and "made amends". Somewhere along the way toward "amends" he and his (now Ex) wife gave substantial amounts of their own $$$ to IAS.

Today he's publicly "distancing" himself from CoS again. It could be that he's making the first baby steps toward leaving the cult, or it could be just for show. Nobody really knows.
  28. Anonymous Member

Did you read post #3 above?
  29. Re: Neil Gaiman stands with Scientology!

Anonymous is right here.

I hate to bring this crap up again, but Neil Gaiman has one of the most obvious and accessible records as a Scientologist I've ever seen.

Scientologists do not associate with non-Scientologists. Neil Gaiman is in the grip of Scientology, that is why there are recent photos of him at Wealden House. The money trail is undeniable, he’s been named a Patron with Honors and a Founding Patron and has given $100,000.00 to the CULT. Neil is a second generation Scientologist stuck deep in the cult and every person he is associated with in public is either approved by Scientology or is a connection who brings in work and money.

The 2009 listing for Neil and Mary Gaiman is only the latest evidence that Neil is in good standing. Is he going to leave? I have no idea, but the fact is that Neil Gaiman funds the cult that we are all spending precious resources to fight.

In 1983 Neil Gaiman is supposedly declared "suppressive" but in 1988, FIVE YEARS AFTER THE DECLARE, Neil’s name appears in graduate lists in The Auditor Worldwide (published by AOSH UK) as Auditor #202 (copyright 1986). Neil is listed as completing three courses: the Hubbard Senior Sec Checker Course #222 (1988), the 21 Dept Org Board Course #227 (1988) and the Hubbard Basic Art Course.

Is he going up the bridge now? I don't know. But he's clearly FUNDING the cult, which to me is worse.

Scientology reinstated David and Neil Gaiman and apologized to them for an earlier disconnect (Guardian office coup), so Gaiman is a scientologist in good standing.

2003: THE GAIMAN FAMILY USA Impact magazine #105 Patrons ($100,000.00) You will find them listed in CAPS because they are Patrons with Honors ($100,000.00)

2004: Impact #109 G & G Foods Patrons ($40,000.00)

2004: THE GAIMAN FAMILY USA Impact Magazine #109 Founding Patrons ($100,000.00)[circa September 2004 ]:Founding Patrons are those who became Patrons by the IAS 20th Anniversary (October/November 2004).

The following list appears in Impact 114 [ circa September 2006 ]:

2006: G & G FOOD SUPPLIES Patrons Impact #114 ($40,000.00)

2006: THE GAIMAN FAMILY USA Impact magazine #114 Patrons ($100,000.00) You will find them listed in CAPS because they are Patrons with Honors ($100,000.00)

2006: Impact magazine #114 DAVID & SHEILA GAIMAN UK Silver Meritorious ($750,000.00)

And of course the latest...

Cornerstone Newsletter: List of Members in GOOD STANDING

2009: MARY AND NEIL GAIMAN Cornerstone Newsletter (circa November 2009 ($35,000.00)
  30. Anonymous Member

Can Neil Gaiman be contacted through a website? Can we ask him how he feels about scientology? I'd like to hear his response. Let's call him out on it.
  31. Anonymous Member

So the last one in 2009 is the only one with Neil's actual name on it (as opposed to 'Gaiman family' 'david and sheila' 'g &g foods' (his parents business) since 1988.

It's worth remembering that the Cult will want people to think he's in. It's in their interest. He's successful and so can influence recruiting.

Just putting a possible other side to this. I'd like to hear it from Neil Gaiman what he thinks of the cult.
  32. Anonymous Member

He won't say. He never says. He *always* dodges the question.

Off my own observations, and speaking to exes who knew him, I'd say that he's not properly "in" (i.e receiving services), but had been "handled" (i.e he keeps giving, and never says bad stuff about Sci, and so his family don't have to disconnect)
  33. Anonymous Member

No you don't! I mean, come on...you are always there to post everything you know about Gaiman.

I'm not objecting, but be real.

This is why I complained about there being separate threads. They should have been merged. But of course, if people can't be arsed to read even THIS thread, there's not much hope.
  34. cubby Member

you know, if neil gaiman is really a scientologist it's enough to make me consider whether there might be some merit to scientology after all.
  35. Anonymous Member

I just wanted - hope nobody minds - to have a place in this thread where the crushing sense of "I liked that stuff until I knew the connection" is expressed. That thing about Neil Gaiman and "approved associations", for instance; what about Tori Amos?
  36. cubby Member

i still like it.

this ain't no jenna elfman we're talking about, boy.
  37. Anonymous Member

What about her.
  38. Anonymous Member

Me again.

Klaatu, you told me the previous thread that you respected my opinion, and here you go saying again that the Church vet who he hangs out with in public.

The Harlan Ellison documentary Dreams With Sharp Teeth came out in 2008, so therefore the footage from it must date from the 2000s. (Some of the footage in it featuring HE and NG at a speaking engagement at MIT dates from the 1990's, I think. Anyway, not recent. The documentary, by the way, also says that they struck up a friendship in the early '80's, at which time unquestionably NG must have had a pretty solid involvement in the Church. Though for all I know HE hadn't started speaking up against Scientology by that time. I just don't know.) Anyway, Dreams features NG pretty prominently and talks a lot about the close friendship that they have. It even shows NG, out of all the sf writers in the world, and HE knows many, presenting him with a World Fantasy Award. HE must surely still belong on the Church's shit list.

So the Church of Scientology evidently have not decreed that NG keep his distance from a critic of Scientology.

Summing up, whether or not NG has any sympathy for the Church any more, it evidently has a hands-off approach.

I said as much in the earlier thread. If anyone has a burning need to know my own bits of reasoning, they can search for that thread using tags. I may have brought up the documentary before there, too, but I forget.

-- Girl Who Knows
  39. Anonymous Member

Sorry about the length of that. TLDR, eh, oh chap? I will work on my brevity.

-- Girl Who Knows
  40. Smurf Member

I don't blame him. He's a writer. That's his career. He doesn't want any controversy that could detrimentally affect book sales or his income.

Remember when Paul Haggis blew the cult in October 2009, he had been a Scilon for 35 years but admitted to not having been active in the cult for years (though he shows up as a Patron in 2006).