Customize

New AVO on Aaron Saxton, this time by Cyrus Brooks

Discussion in 'Fair Game Reports and Personal Experiences' started by Gottabrain, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: New AVO on Aaron Saxton, this time by Cyrus Brooks

I was thinking in US terms a solicitor would be more of a paralegal. Someone who knows what is going on but is not quaified to represent a client in court.

Where in the US a Lawyer, attorney, have the same training as a judge and more than a Justice of the Peach in most cases.

LOL
  2. mrred81 Member

No, a paralegal is a paralegal. A solicitor is a qualified lawyer, the ratio of solicitors to barristers is like probably 1000:1, barristers are a rarity. A solicitor is a lawyer, they have a right of audience before most courts. A companies in-house lawyer would be a solicitor.

You will find a solicitor in almost every court case, criminal or civil, local court or supreme court. But in the higher courts, they will be instructing a barrister, who you might consider a more skilled co-counsel

edit: Judges, solicitors and barristers do the same university degree. Many barristers work as a solicitor first.
  3. chrisanon Member

Thank you for this excellent and complete answer!

4. Ogsonofgroo Member

I also extend thanks, was wondering how that worked.
  5. AnonOfStout Member

So then, a barrister is a lawyer on steroids :D
  6. Anonymous Member

Heres an example, when I said barristers share office floors/buildings these are called 'chambers'. For instance theres a big building in Sydney called the Wentworth building, and each floor is a chamber of barristers that share support staff/equipment/website etc. One such one is called 5wentworth, on the 5th floor of that building,

say you were a solicitor wanting to find a barrister, you might go to the website, 5 Wentworth Chambers and then click 'areas of practice' and click the area of law you need a barrister for and go through their resumes etc to find one. For instance in criminal law, you'd find this guy, http://www.5wentworth.com.au/Content_Common/pg-Peter-Skinner.seo

But see like I said, if you look at his paragraph under 'occupational health and safety law' he prosecutes and defends... I guess a lawyer on steroids is accurate but there is some notion amongst some barristers that they dont need to know the law, thats what the solicitor instructs them on and they just need to be be a good performer in court...
  7. Anonymous Member

I'm not familiar with this term (I come from a land down under)
    What does this person do?
  8. Anonymous Member

I meant justice of the PEACE not Peach. It is like a small time judge. that does not need to have a law degree, they sometimes over see small claims court, can marry people, and their duties are different in each state. Arizona just got one that was a scilon.

Some paralegals do draft documents and prepare cases but they need to work under a lawyer, and they don't have a PHd in law, if that is the case in Oz I stand corrected.
  9. Gottabrain Member

Legalanon, your specific information is extremely helpful and pertinent, many thanks.

Interesting. One of the solicitors I spoke to (who is not representing Aaron), had asked me about the barrister's knowledge in the area. I thought it was a very strange question at the time, but with what you said, it makes sense.

That would mean that there may be times when Aaron could be better off with a solicitor in court than a barrister.
  10. MeganonOT8 Member

WOW wat a thread... I agree w/ this.
  11. Anonymous Member

To those who mentioned PayPal fucktardery, you were right. Looks like we'll all be getting refunds soon. Does PayPal usually hold on to the fees they charged in these situations? Does this mean that all the Pledgie causes can have their money withheld arbitrarily? Why does PayPal advertize itself as a way to donate money to people when they have this sneaky little policy about refusing donations?

Ex Scientologist Message Board - View Single Post - Aaron Saxton - Thank you
  12. Re: New AVO on Aaron Saxton, this time by Cyrus Brooks

RAAAEEEEGGGGG!!!
  13. Anonymous Member

I know it says the decision is final but is it at all possible that he does not claim himself as a non profit, and he can pay taxes on the money he receives ? That sounds simple enough to be a solution.
  14. Anonymous Member

15. Anonymous Member

It seems to be an unusual application of their terms of use, when the Pledgie site has thousands of donation drives accepting money through PayPal. Why was this particular one targeted?

And why does PayPal hate the victims of Hurricane Katrina?
    The Paypal Fiasco: In Summary
  16. Anonymous Member

17. AaronSaxton Member

PAYPAL SHUTDOWN!!!

Dear All,

I received this notification from paypal. Does anyone want to guess who might be behind it? You won't need to guess for very long...

I am uncertain if the payments transferred that were in the status of being cleared will actually arrive at all. I will find out in the days ahead.

Welcome to the war my friends.

Anyone want to not protest? [SIZE="7"]We ask you one last time...![/SIZE]

Dear aaron saxton,

We appreciate your interest in PayPal. However, due to legal and regulatory
    constraints, PayPal Private Limited is unable to process donation payments
    for non-registered charities and non-profit organizations (NPOs), political
    party/organizations, religious institutions, personal donation, etc in
    countries under its jurisdiction.

You may refer to the PayPal Private Limited User Agreement link
    (https://www.paypal.com/sg/cgi-bin/we.../ua/ua-outside) to
    review the list of countries under its jurisdiction.

This is not a decision we make lightly, and we deeply regret any
    inconvenience or frustration this matter may cause you. Please understand
    that this decision is final.

If you have any questions, you may contact us at apacdd@paypal.com.

Sincerely,
    Nolan
    PayPal Compliance Department
    PayPal, an eBay Company

Responses to this email address are not monitored. Please send any
    additional questions that you may have to apacdd@paypal.com.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Copyright © 1999-2010 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal Email ID PP1448

[SIZE="5"]"for every member of Anon there are 10 more out there that they can not see."[/SIZE]

o7srnr.jpg
    [SIZE="7"]CAN YOU DIG IT![/SIZE]
  18. Anonymous Member

WTF!

I was authorising Paypal, as one private person to another private person, to make a personal payment. What rules or laws does that infringe?

RAAEEGGE!
  19. Anonymous Member

I'll re-donate, but I'm more comfortable donating directly to the trust account of the lawyer, or to the guy Aaron asked to oversee the donations, to be honest.
  20. Anonymous Member

Aaron, contact PayPal as soon as you can, there may be a way to get them to release the funds.

As far as I can tell you are not a charity or a non-profit organization, you are just a guy with a lot of friends who wanted to help you out. Seeing as PayPal advertizes itself as a way to send money to friends, I don't see why they have to be assholes about it in this case.
  21. Anonymous Member

"Somehow" the got the impression that Aarron was an entity and not person. Website Payments Standard: Donations tells exactly how to donate.

I should've set Aaron up on a teen account, and we could all be his generous aunts and uncles. :D
  22. Anonymous Member

Edit: Meaning, someone had to report him to paypal, I think.

How come AGP is able to accept donations, and has been for a long time, but Aaron can't once?
  23. TinyDancer Member

I expect you're right about that. Bastards.
  24. Anonymous Member

Maybe someone doesn't give a shit about AGP, but Aaron scares them enough to pull this shit?

I still don't get why PayPal refuses to transfer money to the Red Cross.
  25. Anonymous Member

This is absurd. People "donate" money by the bazillions every day over paypal.

Fucking RAAAAAAAAAGE.
  26. Anonymous Member

Or as it stated in the letter, it could have something to do with them living in different countries.
  27. Anonymous Member

You know, if they don't refund the transaction fees they charged, they could make a tidy profit just for being dicks. Plus they earn interest on our money every day it is in their hands.

I don't like PayPal very much
  28. Sissy Lala Member

No, the rules for donations are the same for both countries, according to that paypal site.

Also, those are rules for actual charities. It's a simple process to donate or send money to an individual, which is detailed on a different tab of that site.

Aaron needs to show them he is an individual and not a corporation AND THEN GET THE INFO ON WHO REPORTED THIS.
  29. grumpus Member

Like Aaron said, welcome to the war.

You all just officially got Fair Gamed.
  30. Anonymous Member

except for the fact that the US terms of use has the same clause allowing PayPal to arbitrarily refuse to pay donations
  31. fisherman Member

This is ridiculous. I've used paypal to send funds to individuals numerous times. The individuals "status" has no bearing on the transaction!
  32. Sissy Lala Member

That's bullshit. Paypal can't give the cult our personal information.
  33. grumpus Member

I know, but they just blocked donations. That's Fair Game, too.

Lied to, tricked, sued, etc... it's all the same game.
  34. Sissy Lala Member

If that's the worst someone gets fairgamed - their donation blocked - then they're damn lucky.

OH HAI OSA.
  35. Anonymous Member

4350193851_2c1bc7f6cb_m.jpg

Stir shit much ?

Derailing the thread isn't going to help us with the task at hand (getting Aaron taken care of)
  36. Anonymous Member

Possible to pm those of us who donated with information about how/where to re-do the donations? If Aaron's lawyer can't find a way around this?
  37. Anonymous Member

tell the media
  38. Anonymous Member

Anyone know a way around this. We could re-donate another way? Im tempted to quit my paypal account.
  39. Anonymous Member

I stand corrected if that is the case, it may have to do with going thru the plegie site. - Sorry I will shut up now.
  40. Sissy Lala Member

huh?