Customize

New Book - Hugh Urban "The Church of Scientology: A History of a New Religion"

Discussion in 'Scientology and Anonymous' started by Anonymous, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3
  2. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3
  3. TinyDancer Member

The quotation marks around "Religion" make me happy.
    • Like Like x 11
  4. anonamus Member

Hmm sounds like an "I'm not a scientologist, but.." -kind of book.

I could be wrong tho.

"If Scientology is a religion, so is the mafia."
    Anonymous
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Anonymous Member

bricoleur means jack of all trades.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Loki's spawn Member

I dunno, the mentioning of cults and specifically mentioning tax-exemptness in the chapter titles makes me believe it could be highly critical of the cult.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. anonamus Member

Yeah maybe. I hope so :)
  8. TinyDancer Member

• Like Like x 3
  9. Anonymous Member

See this post here: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/thre...-to-150-ft-protest-buffer.66031/#post-1323700

Amazon:

[/quote]

The Church of Scientology: A History of a New Religion by Hugh B. Urban

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/069114608X

http://amzn.com/069114608X[/quote]
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Smurf Member

• Like Like x 3
  11. Miranda Member

Sounds like an interesting book to read alongside Reitman's.

Edit: Introduction quotes a colleague who refers to Scientology as "'a simulacrum of a religion,' that is, a self-conscious mimicry of the outward trappings of religion in order to obtain the legal benefits, privileges and protections that come along with that status."

Also: ..."religion is better understood as a form of discourse that makes a claim to a particular kind of authority." So, if he calls it a religion that doesn't mean he's calling it legitimate.
    • Like Like x 6
  12. TinyDancer Member

• Like Like x 21
  13. Miranda Member

• Like Like x 2
  14. Anonymous Member

Outstanding Thread Is Outstanding!

Thank you to the OP and WWP Members in this thread!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. subgenius Member

Praising with faint damnation.
    (see wut i did thar?)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. moarxenu Member

17. JohnnyRUClear Member

2006: Reitman's article in RS; Urban's chapter in that book.
    2011: Reitman's book; Urban's book.

They must be stuck in the same electronic incident on their whole track. Maybe they could audit out their troubles together.
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Herro Member

Xenubarb as the technical advisor? Ouch.
  19. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 6
  20. ChefXenu Member

My copy came in the mail today! Woohoo!!!!!
    • Like Like x 3
  21. Anonymous Member

got a review?
  22. xenubarb Member

Yeah, suck it, biatch! <struts>
    • Like Like x 6
  23. Sponge Member

This is actually a dual review of both Urban's and Reitman's books.
    Scientology and Its Discontents
    by Seth Perry. The Chronicle of Higher Education. 2nd Oct 2011
    http://chronicle.com/article/ScientologyIts/129177/
    Other related threads on the topic of Hugh B. Urban's book:
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/hugh-urban-history-of-a-new-religion.92302
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/thre...-who-took-on-scientology-village-voice.93740/
    • Like Like x 3
  24. Anonymous Member

Perceptive article, I thought. Thanks Sponge.

25. Like

(Dear Server: I WILL win this battle)
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Anonymous Member

Dear user,

You will no win th789uibhjSDbkn;mkl'!iujbig9[g0]SDBkbf

-Server
  27. DeathHamster Member

Looking at you Melton, Lewis and Shupe!
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Dear Server:
    Then I'll take my football and go home :p
    • Like Like x 2

29. L. Ron Hubbard's Pseudoscientificblackmagicallytransformedreligion* Scientology requires countless 12 1/2 hour auditing intensives that are very intrusive, unworkable and outrageously overpriced........

This video is free and far more beneficial in 8 1/2 minutes than 1 Billion Years of LRH batshit insane, controlling processes, imho.......

* tl:dr......
    (apologies for 49 letter descriptive adjective).......
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Anonymous Member

http://www.ladyjulia.net/strongermentally.html
    And if you like, throw a little kink on top:
    http://www.ladyjulia.net/sounds.html
  31. I like this anonymous post, ty........
  32. tildacity Member

Scn is the most thoroughly documented religion on the planet. All of its material is available to the serious scholar by simply visiting an org and commencing a program of study. Scn only requests that such scholarship be responsible. It is difficult to understand integral calculus if one is not proficient in algrebra. Similarly, Scn can only be understood when studied in a manner that provides the serious scholar with a progressive foundation. At each level effective learning is accomplished because the diligent student has mastered the background that allows the student to fully assimilate the new material. Such study prevents the chaos, misdirection, and faulty conclusions that litter the internet from hacks cherry-picking quotes out of context.

Mastering math prepares one to study accounting. Mastering physiology prepares one to study dentistry. Mastering each level of Dn and Scn in succession prepares earnest students to comprehend and appreciate progressively higher levels.

I can only hope that Dr. Urban was able to articulate the natural process by which the dissemination of new ideas inevitably evolves from an oral providence to a written providence to gradually being recognized by the broader society as a legitimate religion.

New religions have a history of being brutalized by powerful vested interests that feel threatened by knowledge and new ideas. When Jesus taught that an eye for an eye was an inappropriate law for a civilized society he was hounded literally to death. The Roman Republic and the Jewish high priests conspired to squash early Christianity by murdering its leaders. Early Christians were fed to lions, crucified and had their heads delivered on silver platters. As a neophyte sect Christianity was driven underground. Early Christians were forced to hold services deep in caves and used coded symbols such as the fish to identify one another.

Unfortunately in the twentieth century society was still intolerant of new religions and continued to persecute those who offered new ideas and new hope. Scn, like Christianity and many other religions before them, traveled a long and arduous road from fresh ideas to established religion.

It is unfortunate Dr. Urban would use such an oxymoron as 'spiritual bricoleur.' One's spirituality naturally permeates all areas of one's life. One's spirituality stands as one's ethical foundation, driver of priorities and source of inspiration and strength.
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Anonymous Member

I know you mean well, but please listen to yourself.

"For tens of thousands of dollars you can purchase some books, and we'll teach you how to interpret them correctly for hundreds of thousands. You also can't purchase the materials without taking courses and being a member, and all we ask is that you only say out loud the parts we want you to, we have some sections of our dogma that are secret (the OT levels and TR-L and such). This is all for a good reason, and you're going to have to trust us by plunking down lots of moolah and letting us tell you what all of this means and then you have to only write what has been approved by us."

Do you even realize that most non-scientologists know more about your religion than you do because they have all of the material available to them and can discuss it freely with each other?

Why don't you go see what you believe? Why don't you check out your "creation myth story" in OT III? Because you've been lied to and told not to go looking and they've scared the crap out of you.

Here, read this, and don't post again until you do: http://www.xenu.net/archive/ot/

There. Now we can discuss this on the same footing. We've all read that. Thousands and thousands of people have read it. No risk to you - it's either the faulty documents that are not real or it's the real thing yet none of us have caught pneumonia and died. Not one. Your "church" even claimed them as copywrited material when they thought that could keep it secret, but you know what? Court records are public so it permanently put the OT levels in the public sphere. Stupid cult.

Until you educate yourself YOU will be the one who is a hack cherry-picking quotes out of context.

P.S. you know you want to read that, that's why you've been hanging around anyway. So shut your goddamn mouth and stop being so ignorant about your own motivation.
    • Like Like x 1
  34. Snipped bollocks...apart from...

One's head is clearly up one's ass, tilda, old bean. One is talking piffle, and one knows it.

One would be forgiven for thinking one had one's tongue in cheek (excepting that one might find that anatomically impossible with one's head up aforementioned ass).

One would be well served, nay, one is exhorted, to lurk the fuck moar.
    • Like Like x 3
  35. Anonymous Member

Let me just quote you Hubbard's words from OT VIII: http://www.lermanet.com/cisar/russia/ot8.htm

For those of you whose Christian toes I may have stepped on, let me take the opportunity to disabuse you of some lovely myths. For instance, the historic Jesus was not nearly the sainted figure has been made out to be. In addition to being a lover of young boys and men. he was given to uncontrollable bursts of temper and hatred that belied the general message of love, understanding and other typical Marcab PR. You have only to look at the history his teachings inspired to see where it all inevitably leads. It Is historic fact and yet man still clings to the ideal. So deep and insidious is the biologic implanting.
  36. Anonymous Member

Y'all are gettin trolled. Must admit Tilda, while your articulateness gives you away, you play Scientologist very well.
  37. Anonymous Member

Anon: "Your methods, hypocrisy, and the artlessnes of your organization has sounded its death knell."
  38. Enturbulette Member

So a nutcase pervert whose own son committed suicide is your equivalent to Jesus. Yeah, L Ron Hubbard is Lord. Xenu is still Overlord, I presume.

Hallelujah.
    • Like Like x 1
  39. xenubarb Member

This is what really hooked me. Artlessness. I had long thought so.
    • Like Like x 1
  40. Enturbulette Member

It's okay. Slow news day.
    • Like Like x 1