Customize

NEW BOOK - Perfectly Clear: Escaping Scientology And Fighting For The Woman I Love 2

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by CommunicatorIC, Dec 23, 2017.

1. NEW UPCOMING BOOK - Perfectly Clear: Escaping Scientology And Fighting For The Woman I Love, by Michelle LeClair and Robin Gaby Fisher.

Hardcover available September 11, 2018.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/535093/perfectly-clear-by-michelle-leclair-with-robin-gaby-fisher/9781101991169/

Wv9ExdY.jpg

X9xvtuD.png

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Perfectly Clear: ESCAPING SCIENTOLOGY AND FIGHTING FOR THE WOMAN I LOVE

By MICHELLE LECLAIR and ROBIN GABY FISHER

Category: Religion | Biography & Memoir

Hardcover –

Hardcover PRE-ORDER

Sep 11, 2018 | 304 Pages

Ebook +

Audio +

ABOUT PERFECTLY CLEAR

The revelatory memoir by former “poster girl for Scientology” Michelle LeClair about her defection from the Church, her newly accepted sexual identity, and the lengths to which Scientology went to silence it.

For years, Michelle LeClair, former President of Scientology’s international humanitarian organization, tried to reconcile her same-sex attraction with the anti-gay ideology of the church. Michelle finally ends her horrific marriage, finds the love of her life, a woman, and ultimately leaves the Church. But the split comes at a terrible price. Her once pristine reputation is publicly dragged through the mud, the police raid her home, her ex-husband tries to gain full custody of their children, and the multi-million dollar business she built from scratch is utterly destroyed.

In this tell-all memoir, Michelle offers an insider’s perspective on Scientology’s pervasive influence, secret rituals, and ruthless practices for keeping members in line. It’s a story of self-acceptance, of finding the strength and courage to stand up for your emotional freedom, and of love prevailing.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

HT - Tony Ortega: https://tonyortega.org/2017/12/23/a-look-back-at-the-month-when-all-hell-broke-loose-for-scientology-and-danny-masterson/#comment-3676198883

Tony notes:

I think some of you know I've written about Michelle (Seward) LeClair in the past, and that her story is somewhat problematic. Going to be interesting to see how this book handles that. Memoirs tend to be a little one-sided.
    \
    This is a major author (in the ghostwriting role) and a major house.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Amazon page for the book is up.

https://www.amazon.com/Perfectly-Clear-Escaping-Scientology-Fighting/dp/110199116X/

SKIz8f5.jpg

Perfectly Clear: Escaping Scientology and Fighting for the Woman I Love Hardcover – September 11, 2018

by Michelle LeClair (Author),Robin Gaby Fisher (Author)

#1 New Releasein Scientology

Kindle $13.99

Hardcover $17.72

The revelatory memoir by former "poster girl for Scientology" Michelle LeClair about her defection from the Church, her newly accepted sexual identity, and the lengths to which Scientology went to silence it..

For years, Michelle LeClair, former President of Scientology's international humanitarian organization, tried to reconcile her same-sex attraction with the anti-gay ideology of the church. Michelle finally ends her horrific marriage, finds the love of her life, a woman, and ultimately leaves the Church. But the split comes at a terrible price. Her once pristine reputation is publicly dragged through the mud, the police raid her home, her ex-husband tries to gain full custody of their children, and the multi-million dollar business she built from scratch is utterly destroyed.

In this tell-all memoir, Michelle offers an insider's perspective on Scientology's pervasive influence, secret rituals, and ruthless practices for keeping members in line. It's a story of self-acceptance, of finding the strength and courage to stand up for your emotional freedom, and of love prevailing.

Editorial Reviews

About the Author

Michelle LeClair is the former president of Scientology's international humanitarian organization. Michelle separated from the Church in 2011.
    Robin Gaby Fisher is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist (and three time nominee) and the national bestselling author of After the Fire and The Boys of the Dark. Robin has co-authored multiple books including Choosing Hope by Sandy Hook teacher Kaitlin Roig-DeBellis.

Product details

Hardcover: 304 pages
    Publisher: Berkley (September 11, 2018)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 110199116X
    ISBN-13: 978-1101991169
    Product Dimensions: 5.5 x 0.8 x 8.2 inches
    Shipping Weight: 15.5 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
    Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
    Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #24,895 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
    #9 in Books > Religion & Spirituality > Other Religions, Practices & Sacred Texts > Scientology
    #158 in Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Religious
    #1201 in Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Memoirs

* * * * *END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 2
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

people-leclair-cover.jpg

Former Scientologist Michelle LeClair Says Church Tried To Punish Her For Coming Out As Gay

Quote:

Michelle LeClair is going public with her story of allegedly being humiliated and persecuted by Church of Scientology officials when she came out as gay.

The former Scientologist is releasing a new memoir, Perfectly Clear, about her experience within the controversial church.

The 45-year-old spoke to People about how she was treated after revealing her sexual orientation.

“I had to go around to all the members inside the church, confess to them what I was thinking, what I was doing,” she said. “People would look at me in the face and say, ‘You are disgusting.’”

According to LeClair, her humiliation by Church officials was done systematically.

“I was ordered to walk the halls of the Scientology Celebrity Centre [in Hollywood] asking random members to read and sign my confession,” LeClair recalled. “I needed 25 signatures to be allowed to rejoin the church. I was so mortified that, after 10 or 15 requests, I ran to the bathroom and sobbed.”

LeClair, who at the time was the successful founder of a life insurance firm, explained that her commitment to Scientology only started to break down when she began a relationship with music producer Tena Clark.

“The idea that the Church would deny me a friendship with such a sterling person simply because she wasn’t heterosexual or a Scientologist seemed ludicrous to me,” she said. “I talked myself into believing that, because I was a top donor, my relationship with a woman would be tolerated, or at least ignored. I couldn’t have been more mistaken. My Scientology mentor outed me to the Church ethics department.”

After leaving the Church, LeClair said officials had the state of California go after her business, alleging it was a Ponzi scheme, forcing her to dissolve the firm and pay out $1.3 million to over 40 alleged victims.

Now, LeClair is happy to be out of the Church and living her life with Clark.

“If I had not met Tena, I’d still be in the Church,” she said. “She saved my life, my children’s life. She woke me up.”

Continued at https://etcanada.com/news/364084/fo...ch-tried-to-punish-her-for-coming-out-as-gay/

Ex-Scientologist Michelle LeClair Says Church Officials Humiliated Her After She Came Out as Gay

Quote:

Eight years ago, Michelle LeClair was wealthy, successful and a self-described “poster girl for Scientology” who donated millions to the controversial church. But she says her seemingly perfect life was thrown into turmoil after she came out as gay to the church.

Continued at https://people.com/books/michelle-leclair-scientology-humiliated-came-out-gay/

Gay Ex-Scientologist Michelle LeClair Claims She Was Stalked and Harassed After Leaving the Church

Quote:

In 2010, former Scientologist Michelle LeClair says her world was turned upside down when she left the church after allegedly facing persecution for coming out as gay.

In her new memoir, Perfectly Clear, the mother of four and self-described former “poster girl for Scientology” claims that she and her family were stalked and harassed by the church after she announced that she was defecting. The church denies her claims, calling them “delusional and paranoid.”

Continued at https://people.com/books/gay-ex-scientologist-michelle-leclair-stalked-leaving-church/
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Cele|bitchy | People features Scientologist who came out as gay, had her business ruined by the cult

https://www.celebitchy.com/591015/people_features_scientologist_who_came_out_as_gay_had_her_business_ruined_by_the_cult_/

That brings us to the story that covers People this week. A woman named Michelle LeClair has a new book coming out called Perfectly Clear: Escaping Scientology and Fighting for the Woman I Love. It’s the story of how the cult humiliated her and ruined her multi-million dollar insurance business after she tried to come out as gay. She gave millions to the cult, Jason Beghe did too, but she was punished and made an outcast after she admitting that she was gay. She was coerced into marrying a man and living a life she considered a lie. When she finally had the courage to leave, Scientology used the court system to ruin her company. She was ultimately vindicated, but not until she lost everything. Here’s a segment from People’s story, with much more at the source:

[SNIP]

[From People]

This is not surprising in the least. We’ve heard so many stories like this it’s chilling. Scientology also commits human rights abuses by using slave labor and low paid labor, and Leah Remini has confirmed that they commit child abuse and neglect in their childcare facilities. Just among other books about the cult there’s Leah’s book Troublemaker along with Going Clear, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely, Beyond Belief, Blown for Good, Ruthless and I’m sure I’m forgetting several.

It’s interesting that People just ran a cover about Tom Cruise in July, meant to coincide with MI5, that was generally positive about him. I think that Cruise and his team are going to limit access for People, but except from Top Gun, which will sell itself, he doesn’t have any projects in the pipeline. It’s safe to criticize Scientology again and this will move copies. Hopefully it will put another face on the people who are abused by this cult. LeClair was a highly successful self made businesswoman, she wasn’t some rube. Even if she was, no one deserves to be treated like this.

5. Who is Michelle LeClair? New Details About The Scientologist Mega-Donor Who Was Disowned After Coming Out As Gay.

In addition to telling Michelle's story, this article features photos of Michelle and her partner.

Your Tango: Who is Michelle LeClair? New Details About The Scientologist Mega-Donor Who Was Disowned After Coming Out As Gay via @yourtango

https://www.yourtango.com/2018316803/who-michelle-leclair-new-details-about-the-scientologist-megadonor-who-was-disowned-after-coming-out-as-gay

/
  6. As noted above, in response to the story the Church of Scientology specifically said: "Contrary to the myths spread by Ms. LeClair and her publishers as they try to sell her book, the Church has no position on sexual orientation."

It is impossible for a church or religion to have "no position on sexual orientation." A church either performs gay weddings or it doesn't. A church either has gay clergy and other staff members (and doesn't demand they remain chaste or change their sexual orientation), or it doesn't. A church either accepts gay parishioners (and doesn't demand they remain chaste or change their sexual orientation), or it doesn't.

If a church performs gay weddings, has gay clergy and other staff members (and doesn't demand they remain chaste or change their sexual orientation), and accepts gay parishioners (and again doesn't demand they remain chaste or change their sexual orientation), then it is truly accepting of gay people, supportive of gay rights, and non-discriminatory.

If a church does NOT perform gay weddings, OR does NOT have gay clergy and other staff members (without demanding they remain chaste or change their sexual orientation), OR does NOT accept gay parishioners (again without demanding they remain chaste or change their sexual orientation), then it is NOT fully accepting of gay people, supportive of gay rights, and non-discriminatory.

The Church of Scientology cannot have it both ways by not taking a position. It is impossible.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dlisted now has a story about Michelle LeClair's new book, and has some pointed comments for Jenna Elman.

A Former Scientologist Wrote A Book About Her Ugly COS Coming Out Story

http://dlisted.com/2018/09/05/a-former-scientologist-wrote-a-book-about-her-ugly-cos-coming-out-story/

Name one gay Scientologist. Scratch that, name one openly gay Scientologist. I certainly can’t think of one. And if you Google “Scientology homosexuality” you won’t be able to find out the organization’s official policy because apparently it’s “don’t ask, do tell (your auditor)”. So much for finding out about it straight from the source, Jenna!

[SNIP]

After that Michelle decided she needed a divorce and threatened to stop making donations until they let her get one. I guess Jenna wasn’t answering her calls or something.

8. The Rutgers University profile for Robin Gaby Fisher, Michelle LeClair's co-author:

https://vpa.newark.rutgers.edu/faculty/robin-gaby-fisher/

JOURNALISM FACULTY

Robin Gaby Fisher

Robin Gaby Fisher is a two-time Pulitzer Prize finalist for feature writing and the New York Times bestselling author of seven non-fiction books.

In her position as Director of the Journalism Program, she sets the course schedule, recruits the teaching staff, advises students and teaches various courses, including Basic and Advanced Reporting and News writing and Narrative Storytelling.

For 15 years, she worked as a news features writer for The Star-Ledger, New Jersey’s largest daily newspaper, leaving in 2008 to pursue her career as an author of non-fiction books. Fisher has been awarded with the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard’s Taylor Family Award for Fairness in Newspapers. Her newspaper series about the Seton Hall arson fire was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in feature writing and her stories about the lives of three troubled youths from New Jersey’s inner cities was a Pulitzer finalist in the same category. She was also a member of the Star-Ledger team that won the Pulitzer Prize for coverage of the resignation of New Jersey Governor James McGreevey.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

New Scientology escape book ‘Perfectly Clear’ leaves some important questions unanswered

By Tony Ortega, September 8, 2018

Quote:

Michelle LeClair’s book Perfectly Clear: Escaping Scientology and Fighting for the Woman I Love got a nice boost this week as it was featured on the cover of People magazine ahead of its September 11 publication date, and we expect it’s going to continue to get a major media push. But now that we’ve read the book, we’re having some mixed feelings about that.

The basic outline of LeClair’s story, which emerged in press accounts over several years when she was known as Michelle Seward, is that she was a wealthy public Scientologist who made money selling expensive insurance policies, and she convinced some of her clients to invest their money in a failed movie project directed by another Scientologist, Israeli filmmaker Dror Soref.

The film, Not Forgotten, starred Simon Baker and actually got some fairly good reviews when it came out in 2009, but somehow it made only $142,000 worldwide and the people who backed it lost millions.

Two California state agencies investigated and sued Soref and LeClair, claiming that their financing of the film amounted to a Ponzi scheme, with early investors being paid with money brought in from later investors. And even after settling those lawsuits, Soref and LeClair were then indicted by the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office and each faced 75 years in prison for defrauding investors. While awaiting trial, Soref spent almost five months in jail.

LeClair claimed that as an insurance executive she didn’t really know what she was doing in the film business, and she blamed Soref for getting them into such a bad situation. She agreed to testify against him in the criminal prosecution. But then charges against Soref were dropped last year by a judge who criticized the DA’s office for taking too long to prosecute the case. Charges were then also dropped against LeClair, who has worked hard to get investors at least part of their money back. Soref is now suing the DA.

But many questions remained, and we were looking forward to this book answering them. How, with a well known actor like Simon Baker and good reviews, does a film make only 140 grand? Surely there was a story there. And how, exactly, was that all Soref’s fault? What had he done, exactly, that caused them to be facing long prison sentences?

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/09/08/n...r-leaves-some-important-questions-unanswered/
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Ex-Scientologist comes out + shares horror stories about the Church’s LGBTQ treatment.

LGBTQ Nation: Ex-Scientologist comes out + shares horror stories about the Church’s LGBTQ treatment

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/09/ex-scientologist-comes-shares-horror-stories-churchs-lgbtq-treatment/

By Sarah Toce · Sunday, September 9, 2018

A woman who came out of the closet and simultaneously escaped the Church of Scientology is now detailing the horrific incidents that occurred while she was a member of the controversial organization.

Michelle LeClair details her experiences in the new memoir Perfectly Clear. Once considered the “poster girl” for Scientology, she soon became one of its worst enemies.

With the Church’s celebrity clientele and hefty price tag per each mandatory course, LeClair was not swayed. In fact, she spent over $5 million to absorb the Church’s teachings.

She had developed a successful career as a proprietor of an insurance business valued in the millions. But what she didn’t bet on was the anti-LGBTQ discrimination she would ultimately face by being her authentic self – and the escape that would soon follow her disclosure.

11. VIDEO: Today Show - Michelle Leclair Shares Her Story Of Leaving Scientology.

12. VIDEO: Michelle LeClair on The Jenny McCarthy Show.

13. Why is ^this^ woman getting so much major media publicity and this woman below only gets occasional local media?

[IMG]
  14. I am going to answer your question. My answer neither contains nor implies any judgment or evaluation. I also say the following as someone who feels Lori's story is both compelling and tragic, deserves MUCH more attention, and is supportive as I can be (given the little I actually do) to Lori. I believe the factual reasons are as follows.

First, Michelle's book was published by a major publisher. Lori's book was self-published. Thus, Michelle has available to her promotional resources, a publicist, etc. that are not available to Lori. The publisher Berkley, an imprint of Penguin books, no doubt contacted People magazine, the Today show, etc. It also no doubt has a budget for promotion that Lori could doubtfully match.

Second, Michelle's book has a hook that Lori's book doesn't have -- i.e., gay rights. (I say this as a person who regularly publicizes Scientology policy on homosexuality and who supports gay marriage, gay rights and gay equality, etc.) At this point, many disconnection stories have been told -- primarily on Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath -- and some may consider them an issue that has already been covered and "old news." Michelle's is the first book that focuses on the issue of Scientology and gay rights. I suspect that if Derek Bloch or Nora Crest had written a book, gotten a publisher, and perhaps gotten a Pulitzer nominated co-writer like Michelle did, they would have benefited from being the first person to write in this niche and from the resulting publicity. They didn't. Michelle was the first to market in this niche. As a result, she got the publicity.

In conclusion, one is reminded of a line in the movie "The Unforgiven" -- "Deserve has nothing to do with it."

ETA: Nothing I've written is meant a criticism of either Lori or Michelle. Nothing would make me happier than Lori being on the Today Show and the cover of People magazine. On the other hand, Michelle had a story to tell, she made the effort to tell it, and I don't think she can be criticized for that.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Tony Ortega appears to have some doubt about the veracity of her story:

"Gay people are kicked out, disconnected from, hazed, and denounced in Scientology, and that’s why we work to publicize its harsh homophobia. We don’t doubt LeClair’s account that she was criticized by her fellow Scientologists when they discovered that she was dating a woman. And also that the church spied on her after that relationship became known.

But on the other hand, investors had lost more than $21 million and part of the reason was, according to court testimony, that LeClair had encouraged them to invest in ways that were especially risky while she promised huge returns that never materialized. It’s hard to believe that state investigators wouldn’t have been interested in a loss that large even without the Scientology connection.

LeClair’s book, however, doesn’t begin to address those allegations — about her encouraging risky investing, for example. And a lot of other things seem to be missing as well.

We never do learn why the film flopped so badly. LeClair simply says that after a domestic premiere it failed to get distribution internationally, which doesn’t really explain anything.

She also doesn’t go into any detail about how, if Soref had caused so many people so much pain, he had managed to do that. The only thing she offers is that he had given himself a big raise, to $50,000 a month, without telling her."

But did the State of California and Los Angeles County investigate and try to put LeClair in prison because Scientology didn’t like that she was gay?

There’s a major problem with that theory that the book never addresses — if Scientology motivated government agencies to go after LeClair for being gay, how does that explain that those agencies went even harder at Dror Soref, who is still today a Scientologist?

Maybe part of the problem is the memoir form itself. LeClair is the heroine of every anecdote in the book, and she spends considerable time making others appear to be almost completely evil — without those people, of course, having the opportunity to respond.

more: https://tonyortega.org/2018/09/08/n...r-leaves-some-important-questions-unanswered/
  16. ask mister patinson about sexual orientation and how they tried out to "cure him"
  17. voila !
  18. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. PODCAST: Michelle LeClair's New Memoir About Her Escape From Scientology.

WAMC "The Roundtable": Michelle LeClair's New Memoir About Her Escape From Scientology

http://www.wamc.org/post/michelle-leclairs-new-memoir-about-her-escape-scientology

* * * * * BEGIN INTRODUCTION * * * * *

By JOE DONAHUE • SEP 17, 2018

For years, Michelle LeClair, former President of Scientology's international humanitarian organization, tried to reconcile her sexual orientation with the anti-gay ideology of the church. Michelle finally ended her marriage, found the love of her life, a woman, and ultimately left the Church.

But the split comes at a price. Her once pristine reputation is publicly dragged through the mud, the police raid her home, her ex-husband tries to gain full custody of their children, and the multi-million dollar business she built from scratch is destroyed.

In her new memoir, "Perfectly Clear," Michelle LeClair offers an insider's perspective on Scientology's pervasive influence, secret rituals, and ruthless practices for keeping members in line.

* * * * * END INTRODUCTION * * * * *
  20. PODCAST: Michelle LeClair Interview - Perfectly Clear

WOCA The Source Radio: Michelle LeClair Interview - Perfectly Clear

21. Book Review: "Perfectly Clear: Escaping Scientology and Fighting for the Woman I Love."

The Windy City Times bills itself as the voice of Chicago's Gay, Lebian, Bi, Trans and Queer community since 1985.

Windy City Times: BOOK REVIEW Perfectly Clear
    by Lauren Emily Whalen
    2018-09-19

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/BOOK-REVIEW-Perfectly-Clear/64138.html

* * * * * BEGIN CONCLUSION * * * * *

For those like me, who are endlessly fascinated by this cult of the heart, mind and wallet, some of LeClair's details aren't new. You can't read a Wikipedia article on Scientology without learning about e-meters, silent births and Tom Cruise. What makes Perfectly Clear unique is its queer perspective. Even Haggis, one of the first celebrity ex-members to speak out against the church, can't give a personal account of what its like to be in a forbidden relationship as a Scientologist. LeClair can, and LeClair does. Even those who've read and seen Going Clear, or are familiar with Leah Remini's various anti-Scientology outlets, will be shocked by LeClair's experiences and Scientology's influence on powerful LA organizations such as the police and the district attorney's office.

Though LeClair's copious exclamation points get a little old, Perfectly Clear is a fast, fascinating read from the perspective of a gay Scientologist who survived — but just barely.

* * * * * END CONCLUSION * * * * *
  22. PODCAST: Escaping Scientology on Life Elsewhere.

WMNF: Escaping Scientology on Life Elsewhere

https://www.wmnf.org/escaping-scientology-on-life-elsewhere/

For years, Michelle LeClair, former President of Scientology’s international humanitarian organization, tried to reconcile her sexual orientation with the anti-gay ideology of the church. Michelle finally ends her horrific marriage, finds the love of her life, a woman, and ultimately leaves the Church. But the split comes at a terrible price. Her once pristine reputation is publicly dragged through the mud, the police raid her home, her ex-husband tries to gain full custody of their children, and the multi-million dollar business she built from scratch is utterly destroyed. In her tell-all memoir, Michelle offers an insider’s perspective on Scientology’s pervasive influence, secret rituals, and ruthless practices for keeping members in line. Michelle LeClair answers Norman B’s questions about her memoir, Perfectly Clear: Escaping Scientology and Fighting for the Woman I Love.

The Podcast is available at NPR One & iTunes

Sundays 12 noon ET at The Source WMNF HD3

23. Air and podcast details for Life Elsewhere interview with Michelle LeClair, author of "Perfectly Clear: Escaping Scientology and Fighting for the Woman I Love."

https://lifeelsewhere.co/2018/09/20/escaping-scientology/

https://twitter.com/NormanBRadio/status/1043656131195879426

SQliMsD.png
  24. W Radio Colombia has posted a radio podcast interview with Michelle LeClair in both English and Spanish.

En la cienciología la homosexualidad es lo más bajo de la sociedad: Michelle LeClair

http://www.wradio.com.co/noticias/sociedad/en-la-cienciologia-la-homosexualidad-es-lo-mas-bajo-de-la-sociedad-michelle-leclair/20180924/nota/3803134.aspx

English translation:

In Scientology homosexuality is the lowest in society: Michelle LeClair

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wradio.com.co%2Fnoticias%2Fsociedad%2Fen-la-cienciologia-la-homosexualidad-es-lo-mas-bajo-de-la-sociedad-michelle-leclair%2F20180924%2Fnota%2F3803134.aspx&edit-text=

In Scientology homosexuality is the lowest in society: Michelle LeClair

Michelle LeClair, member of Scientology for 20 years, exposed all the psychological repressions to which she was subjected so that she would not confess her homosexuality.

25. The Wrong Guy Member