Customize

New charity tax laws - Australia

Discussion in 'Media' started by thefatman, May 7, 2011.

1. thefatman Member

Looks like the cult's front groups could be totally fucked over as a result of new measures in the budget:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/charities-face-profits-being-taxed-in-budget-20110506-1ec2u.html

Also something that could be used to our advantage:

• Like Like x 20
  2. Ann O'Nymous Member

3. Incredulicide Member

4. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3
  5. RightOn Member

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!

Ok now, US pay attention and follow suit!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Random guy Member

This has the possibility of becomming the biggest win in Chanology so far!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RightOn Member

Also I think people will want to know why the US governmnet does not follow suit

Wonder what kind of tax loopholes COS is going to dance around in AU that may get them into further trouble?
    they will prolly be moving a bunch of stuff around? and renaming shit? or whatever they have to do to get around this?
    Hope AU is keeping an eye on COS shifting things, like renaming groups ect....
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Anonymous Member

No reason for councils in UK to allow tax exemption once this goes through. Very large quantities of WIN.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Mark Cabian Member

/r/ threads like this every morning. Dreams come true.
  10. Sponge Member

I guess the cult will have to go back to taking cash out of the country in suitcases, like the "good ole days" of Hubbard's ship.

Video related:
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Sponge Member

Not immediately though. Please note....

I've no idea what the timescale is for when they plan to make the legislation retroactive. It does sound like a done deal though and the delay is probably to have systems in place just so that those who do already make profit on the commercial arms of their "charities" are given a fair chance to adjust.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. RightOn Member

also gives the cult time to hide stuff moar? and shuffle names?
  13. Sponge Member

Well, not unless this latter additional part of the budget leglislation announcement gets them first:

Which means, if they fail to pass muster with this new charities commission, then I guess they'll just be downgraded to a plain old business anyway.
    Looking forward to seeing the dirty details of all this.
  14. DeathHamster Member

And Scientology's altruistic purpose is...?
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Sponge Member

Well, for a start there's the....erm....oh wait there's the...ahh.... perhaps it could be the ummm..... Nope, you go me on that one I'm afraid.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. thefatman Member

I'd assume they'd have to make the actions retrospective, given the sheer number of charitable organisations that don't spend anything on their supposed purpose it would be fiscally irresponsible to not do that.

That's where the cult falls short. Though they could just cover it up through "but we iz a religion." I get the feeling the government will need Xenophon or the Greens (who support Sen X.) and they will be pushed towards at least thoroughly examining the cults finances in order to get something they want through.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Anontacular Member

We need this in the US.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Anonymous Member

NICK XENOPHON IS SO SEXY!
    i luves him, i do.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Sponge Member

20. Sponge Member

21. Sponge Member

Budget aims to cut charity red tape
    ABC News Posted Sat May 7, 2011 9:00am AEST
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/07/3210401.htm
    Salvos tick regulator for charity groups
    AAP via Yahoo News May 7, 2011
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/national/9334032/budget-gives-to-charities-and-takes-away/
    Not too "streamlined" m'kay? In the pursuit of transparency, we need a few obstructions in the right places.
    • Like Like x 3
  22. Sponge Member

Budget gives to charities and takes away
    AAP via The Australian 7th May 2011
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...s-and-takes-away/story-fn3dxity-1226051504620

23. TinyDancer Member

I had a conversation this week with an official from the Treasury Department who indicated that the government is considering overturning the presumption that an organisation with religious, education, relief of poverty, etc purposes is for the public benefit.

Also, http://www.budget.gov.au/
    • Like Like x 8
  24. Zhent Member

Very good.
    I will be watching the budget announcement live, I might liveblog it if there is something interesting enough.
  25. Anontacular Member

I can't imagine that constituents would vote to repeal that. Taxes from businesses are desperately needed, too. I'll keep throwing my weight into the neutering meanwhile.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. TinyDancer Member

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...00m-to-help-poor/story-fn7x8me2-1226051428250

• Like Like x 6
  27. xenubarb Member

28. Anonymous Member

Remove tax-exempt status? Surely not.

Are they thinking that some 'religions' are not acting in the public interest?

Protip: The Senate Inquiry established (with agreement of bespectacled lawyer Louise McBride) that each religion is not -automatically- tax exempt under Australian law.
  29. The "Church" of Scientology Enterprises
  30. Zhent Member

One can assume the Church of Scientology will be the very first organisation to be tested, right? ;)

It is coming - Scientology Probe 2012

Enjoy your probe, Cyrus.
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Anonymous Member

Don't worry I'm sure cyrus has plenty of probing already :p
  32. BLiP Member

33. Pity the poor OSAspawn as they try to bawwwww their way out of this in the public arena.

I'm sure "religious persecution" will get a run as will "hatred" and "minorities."

And of course "freedom of belief."

The real tragedy is that the OSAspawn actually BELIEVE their own spin.

Can't see them stopping this tsunami heading their way, nor several of the other ones I believe are about to hit them.

I ALMOST feel sorry for them as they chew their beans and rice tonight contemplating being "downstat" yet again this week :D

Soooooo much win - and more to come.
    • Like Like x 3
  34. Anonymous Member

35. Random guy Member

Solid, tangible win!

This is so good!
  36. Anonymous Member

C
    U
    Next
    Tuesday

Scientology
    • Like Like x 2
  37. Natter Bored Member

WICSTNPFGTEE

The World Institute of the Church of Scientology Totally Non-Profit Front Group Tax Exempt Enterprises.
    • Like Like x 1
  38. BigBeard Member

Can't wait to see COSRECI UK 'affiliates' swinging in the breeze when COSRECI looses it's tax exempt status in Oz.

BigBeard
  39. Sponge Member

It almost sounds as if the scilons are expecting bad news down there.

From ESMB 8th May 2011 from the Org Watch thread (Sydney Ideal Org).
    full post here: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...ydney-Ideal-Org-situation&p=574369#post574369

"QUICK! DONATE NOW BEFORE WE LOSE ALL OUR TAX CONCESSIONS FOR BEING THE COMPLETE FAILURE THAT WE ARE!"
    • Like Like x 4
  40. TinyDancer Member

COSRECI has no tax exempt status in Australia.