Customize

New Israeli Scientology org in Jaffa was set on fire

Discussion in 'Media' started by Anonymous, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

New Israeli Scientology org in Jaffa was set on fire

Oh shit.

(And before any of you nutheads ask, no, it has nothing to do with us - for fuck's sakes)

Translation from the original YNet article in Hebrew:

Scientology Center torched: Workers rescued

Who set the new Scientology center at the old Al-Hambra theater building on fire in Jaffa? This is the question that is being investigated following a fire that was occurred at the location. 9 construction workers rescued unharmed

Eli Senior
    Published: 12/10/10, 7:00am

Nine construction workers who were busy renovating a structure in Jaffa that was aimed to house the Scientology Center of Israel were rescued this morning (Tuesday) unharmed. The Tel-Aviv fire department believes that the fire that spread throughout the building - previously known as the Al-Hambra Theater - started due to arson, among other reasons because the fire began in several places.

3_wa.jpg
    Workers were trapped in several rooms (Photo: Yaron Berner)

Around 5:15am the operation center of the Tel-Aviv Fire Department received a message about a large building in flames at the Rehovot Hatkuma junction and Jerusalem Avenue in Jaffa. All of the fire teams were jumped to the scene after it became clear that people were trapped in the building.

Now days the place is being renovated, in preparations for its use by activists of the Cult of Scientology. The ones who were trapped in the flames were construction workers: "When we arrived, we've noticed that the fire was originating from several places", said the captain of the fire force, Lahav Aryeh Aharon, "The workers were trapped in several rooms in the structure. We have reached them with cranes and evacuated them."

1_wa.jpg
    "It's a miracle that no one was killed" (Photo: Yaron Berner)

Due to the fact that the fire was so strong, and in number of places, it is assumed that this was arson. A fire researcher was invited to the scene to investigate the evidence in the area. The Merhav Yiftakh police is also investigating the situation.

Witnesses were telling about the drama that happened infront of their eyes: "Trapped people were shouting", said Eli, a witness, "The firemen reached the workers right at the last moment". Amjad, a taxi driver who passed by the area, also said: "I arrived with the firemen and saw large flames coming from the building. Some of the workers were at the top section of the building and were yelling. It's a giant building, that burned very strongly. It's a miracle that no one was killed".

2_wh.jpg
    The new center after the fire (Photo: Yoram Avner)

-----

For reference - the IAS promo video for the new center:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvymdYI100s
  2. RightOn Member

Re: New Israeli Scientology org in Jaffa was set on fire

Has there been any other religion where different buildings have caught fire so often?
    Do we have a running total for COS?

Thankfully everyone was ok.
  3. LocalSP Member

Construction workers? at five in the morning? Sounds suspicious to me.
  4. Re: New Israeli Scientology org in Jaffa was set on fire

I'm glad no one was hurt but I'm not surprised this happened.
    I think this will be the first of many attacks on CoS, they are very much not wanted there.
    I just hope who ever did this dose not try anything like that again and gets dune for it.
    Peacefull protest is best!
  5. anon.il Member

What happened is very easy to explain: Scientology has been hiding its Israeli buildings and acting very understated for the past 30 years. The rule was, gain members, gain control, but stay out of sight. But the recent Anonymous activity changed the rules: it has made them both frantic -and- happy - they believe that increased resistance means that they are becoming more successful.

Due to this, on one hand they hid their main existing Org behind massive steel door and obscured their presence during our protests. On the other hand, the old "Hubbard College for Dianetics" (a flimsy itty bitty building) has changed it's name to a large "SCIENTOLOGY" at the front door, braving to make its presence more announced.

This new building is the latest move in attempting to step into the spotlight: The new building is immense, placed at an historical spot, and is going to feature church-like tainted windows and a huge, neon glowing "SCIENTOLOGY" logo all across to be visible from as far as possible. For the first time, they're really putting a show in Israel and making themselves known.

Unfortunately, they have forgotten why they were hidden all these decades: Simply put, religious extremists. Of all the accepted religions in the area. These people don't take kindly to "new faces" - especially missionary cults.

Scientology was not the first cult to have its facilities mysteriously set on fire, and will most probably not be the last. But knowing CoS, they're just going to believe it was the work of psychiatrists again.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ackerland Member

How about Judaism?

Another thing is that the sheer number of christian churches / mosques on this world I'd be willing to wager there are considerably more churches that have burnt out than Scientology orgs. So counting how many Scientology buildings have burnt out is not representative.
  7. Anonymous Member

Hate to say it. But yes, some orthodox jewish nutjobs could very well be responsible for the fire. There are plenty of those in Israel. But that came with the deal when you founded your country a few decades ago.
  8. sooleater Member

other working times
    caus heat
  9. anon.il Member

Actually, Israeli workers work during day time. I've also found the idea that they worked at 5am kind of weird. Not to mention that winter is coming and the days have already gone a little chilly.

Makes me wonder what sort of a construction company they're hiring.
  10. anony.max Member

LOL.

the extremist-fanatical-radical ortodoxes are the reason the C0$$ never had a centre in Jerusalem. they like to burn to the ground every cult for not been Jewfags. but they don't burned a lot of churches or mosques. because they have too much PAWA and can burn back.... allso they don't really care about other religions. they only hate Jewfags that convert, or people that try to convert them.

Jewfags - 1
    C0$ - 0

:D
  11. Anonymous Member

yes i hear a lot of the extremist-fanaticaך-radical ortodoxes

man woman seberate busses
    no marrege between jews and non -jews
  12. Anonymous Member

I don't think construction work at 5am is unusual. Several reasons: 1) Miscaviges mad urge to get moarrrr idle orgs on stream before this year is out means workers doing overtime, through the night. 2) Some construction jobs have to be done continously and can't be stopped, such as pouring concrete and adhesives curing or due to other logistics. 3) Climate. Some start very early when its cool and finish early before it gets too hot.
  13. Sponge Member

Short article in english from Haaretz.com...
    Tel Aviv Scientology building burns, arson suspected
    Nine workers escape unharmed from the former Alhambra theater building, which has been undergoing renovations.
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/tel-aviv-scientology-building-burns-arson-suspected-1.318620

14. AnonLover Member

OG JeffJ is tracking that, no doubt he'll be ITT shortly.
  15. AnonLover Member

inb4 MR2Rescued10thSeaOgreWhoEscapedAfterSettingFires
  16. xenubarb Member

Heh. I saw a program about a woman married to a problem drinker who hid bottles all over the house. If I married a Jew, it'd be like that. He'd be finding lobsters stashed in the sofa and the linen closet.
    Possible bacon sighting likely as well.

All nonsense aside, the OG experienced such an incident in Florida, when a Scn mission got firebombed through the front door. Florida critics like Maggie and Mr. Scary got visits from detectives. Neither individual had ever been to Palm Beach where the incident occurred.

Imagine our speculation. Note: you did not invent tinfoil! Years later, some exes start speaking out about that firebomb. Turns out it was perpetrated by a disgruntled boyfriend. The spat was domestic, nothing to do with the mission except she worked there.

So, responsibility for this arson, who knows. Israel has a special mixed bag of nuts running around. Some of them may have been offended by the church-like exterior? Religious tainted windows were mentioned.

Well, regardless of provenance, the burning of this bombastic fake religious building was theoretically inevitable. With the fear gone that was keeping the lid on ex-members speaking out, perhaps some of the fringe members at the far, small end of the Bell Curve are stepping up.

Payback's a bitch. And when you're in the business of Making the Able Unstable, you never know what might happen.
  17. AnonLover Member

questions for israel anons - how does the "9 construction workers" add up to the number of people protesters may have seen going in & out or working on renovating the building?
  18. anon.il Member

Hard to say - we've never been to Jaffa. Our protests were centered in Tel Aviv's area. At the time when we were doing live protests the Jaffa center was still a derelict building. CoS did not begin working on the building until Miscavidge started to push for more Ideal orgs later in 2009.

Sleeping you say? Now this is unusual...
  19. xenubarb Member

Sounds moar like Scilons than legitimate construction workers, don't it?
  20. AnonLover Member

sure does. sea org sent in to do renos. thus my tinfoil is inclined to tweak on "inside job" rather than external hater. somebody wanted out badly... perhaps bad enough to torch the place while they made their escape.
  21. Anonymous Member

Well it certainly might be unusual for the USA but in Jaffa, low cost immigrant workers from over the border sleeping at the construction site wouldn't be unusual IMO. It beats having to spend hours running the gauntlet every day, and your digs are free.
  22. xzoz01 Member

I doubt it. It was probably some random nutjob.

Scientologists obviously always try to do everything in house when they can, to save money. So they have some scientologist construction workers doing the job, and they live there until it's done. I don't really see anything suspicious there.

And how would torching the place make their escape easier? It makes it much worse because now Scientology and the law would REALLY go after them.
  23. Rheinländer Member

Maybe very cheap people who stay at night there? Are they legal worker? If not...
  24. AnonLover Member

9 workers sleeping on top floor, fire broke out in multiple places on the floor below and conveniently blocked the stairwells in a strategic kind of way way. Someone fleeing in desperation wanting to make sure they werent followed would set fire on way out of a top-down exit.

or how about - no mention yet of signs of forced entry and break-in on the ground floor, and i'm speculating a random nutjob who broke in would set flame to the ground floor visible from the front doors to send public msg and GTFO asap for fear break-in would be discovered before they got job done, rather than take time to go upstairs to do it and then have a harder escape path out.

<shrugs> pure tinfoil for sake of tinfoil. but if we start clamoring orthodox/extremisms did it, might as well cover the whole range of possibilities.
  25. thevoxbox Member

It could be interesting to run the numbers to figure out what percentage of orgs have been subject to arson vs. the percentage of <insert other religious buildings burned here>, but hardly more than a bit of trivia.

I could be mistaken, but maybe they were part of the RPF or even just normal scilons or something? Doing 'penance' by helping renovate? It is kind of interesting to note how much the fact it was a strong blaze is mentioned. Whether they figure out the source (arson or otherwise) or not, at least nobody died...
  26. Anonymous Member

Tel Aviv Scientology building burns, arson suspected | Haaretz

In Michael Moore's "Capitalism: A Love Story", one learn that some corporations take life insurance against their employees, without the employees' knowledge. Made me wonder if this (questionable) practice is also part of corporate Scientology.
  27. AnonLover Member

or maybe just plain old cheap immigrant labor, who were both worked hard AND treated as raw meat and expected to do training and shi-, just like the polish workers at Mappin's Camelot Hotel. cheap renos & recruiting fresh blood all at the same time and someone decided to GTFO while the getting was good.
  28. Anonymous Member

Yes, what sort of "company" they've "hired".
  29. thevoxbox Member

Very strong probability that you're right, Anonlover. RPF had crossed my mind though, is all I'm saying!
  30. Anonymous Member

I'm guessing the cult set it on fire so the smoke would protect it from radiation.
  31. Anonymous Member

Is this a government project?
  32. Re: New Israeli Scientology org in Jaffa was set on fire

My hunch - worth 0 cents - is that they set fire to it themselves. Maybe for insurance, maybe for the press, maybe so that they can play the "we're being persecuted for our beliefs" card, who knows.

Honestly though, who would want to set them on fire? The jews, the arabs? I doubt it. Although the CoS is "the fastest growing religion on the planet" I don't think anyone there even knows who they are.
  33. xenubarb Member

Okay, that makes sense too. There were construction workers from Mexico living in the garage of a house they were working on next door. If it were here in the US, I'd be 99% certain they were Scilons.

Regardless, I'm happy nobody was hurt. They might wanna rethink the "religiouesqe" design of their building there, don't you think? After all, they're a business in Israel, no? Why would a business want to look like a church?

Heck, over here, even Church's Fried Chicken doesn't masquerade as a church. Their chicken is heavenly, however.
  34. Anonymous Member

Why not "the Arabs"? IIRC I think there was an inference on another Israel/Jaffa/IdleOrg related thread that there is some redevelopment (perceived as "area cleansing") going on in Jaffa and the cost of living there, which used to be cheap in parts, is now increasingly less affordable to the indigenous. The fact that scientology is an American imported "religion" makes it a good target for them, especially as its OTT vulgar glossy exterior gradually becomes apparent during construction. Excuse me if I suck cawks on my recollection/interpretaton.
  35. AnotherSock Member

http://www.ami.com.au/~bradw/cos/Lisa/fires.htm

I'm sure there have been plenty more since 1998, too...
  36. AnotherSock Member

Also,

Scientology + Jaffa... am I the only one that was thinking...
    tealc.jpg
  37. Anonymous Member

jaffa-cakes.jpg

No lie!
  38. Sponge Member

jaffacaek1.jpg
    WARNING: CONTAINS SPONGE
  39. Jeff Jacobsen Member

40. Anonymous Member

Recently, I tried to install an external wireless modem at a small PC. From the extra transformer, a very thin power line went to the device (ok - it was not the original one ...). Even though its only 12VDC, this line got f* hot in seconds - well, problem solved now ...

My guess: The workers are SO and just as electronic-dumbasses as me. They had to be conservative and put thin lines in the wall. When the heating started in the morning, cables made *poof* and this explains why it started to burn everywhere.