Customize

No Elisabeth Moss, We Are Not Cool With Your Glowing Statements About Scientology

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by CommunicatorIC, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Go to the link and read the entire article.

Ravishly: No Elisabeth Moss, We Are Not Cool With Your Glowing Statements About Scientology
    http://ravishly.com/2014/03/10/no-elisabeth-moss-we-are-not-cool-your-glowing-statements-about-scientology

Excerpt:
    • Like Like x 8
  2. RightOn Member

she is a clueless idiot- perfect cult material
    • Like Like x 3
  3. I might find myself able to ignore her affiliation if I didn't have a damn good idea of the kind of money her cult charges, the pressure they put on their 'whales', and the likelihood of her contributing a decent chunk of her money to people who do awful things. She may be talented, but I will not knowingly give her or any other scion celeb my time or money for that reason.
    • Like Like x 8
  4. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. wolfbane Member

• Like Like x 4
  6. Enturbulette Member

Fandom should not be something out of the control of the individual, as though they "must love" someone for a role or a work of art, no matter how heinous they find other aspects of their life.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Is she still anorexic?
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

This was published today.

‘I don't take acting that seriously. I'm a Valley girl’: Elisabeth Moss on life after Mad Men | The Guardian

Here's the relevant paragraph:

Moss was raised, and remains, a Scientologist. She has long since given up defending the religion, speaking with the honest conviction of someone who knows their own belief to be pure-hearted. “It is weird for me to be put in the position where I am like, ‘No, I can’t. I don’t really want to talk about this.’ You feel kind of like, I am a nice person who likes to talk about stuff. I also get the curiosity. I get the fascination. I become fascinated with things that are none of my business as well. I am just fascinated when someone breaks up with somebody. I want to know all about it. I am very interested in what people are wearing, and all of that kind of thing, but you have a right to your privacy.”

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/...w-mad-men-top-of-the-lake-high-rise-tom-shone
  9. RightOn Member

she is brilliant. :confused:
    I wonder if family disconnection "fascinates" her? Does she want to know about those break ups too?
    You know like Suri and TC?
    Don't get me wrong, this is the one instance I think family disconnection was the right choice and that she should stay FAR away from the Freedom Medal wearer.

Any tweeters out there? Can you let Moss know? You know since she wants to know all about it?
    She is also interested in what people are wearing too! Maybe show her some Sea Org RPF outfits too? All the rage in slave labor and so slimming!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. If she could only be as half as fascinated about her own religion as she is about a bunch of useless shit, maybe she'd wake up to reality.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. JohnnyRUClear Member

Keep Scientology Whatever?
    • Like Like x 3
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

Isn't It Relevant That the Star of The Handmaid's Tale Belongs to a Secretive, Allegedly Oppressive Religion?

By Anna Merlan, Jezebel, April 26, 2017

The Handmaid’s Tale is one of the finest dystopian novels ever written, and it is, inescapably and fundamentally, about women’s oppression under an ultra-conservative regime. The much-anticipated Hulu series based on the book doesn’t shy away from the original subject matter; it couldn’t, really, and remain the Handmaid’s Tale. Which is why it’s so curious that in a recent panel discussion, the cast of the show studiously refused to admit that it’s a feminist story. It brings to mind the way Handmaid’s star Elisabeth Moss has, for years, cheerily dodged questions about her lifelong membership in Scientology and the alleged abuses within the church.

<snipped>

It’s fine that Elisabeth Moss doesn’t want to discuss her religion, or the many alleged abuses within it. (It’s possible that she’s never seen a single unpleasant thing in the church, given that celebrities reportedly receive kid-glove handling.) But it combines in an unpleasant way with her refusal, and that of the rest of the Handmaid’s cast, to have even the most basic conversation about politics or feminism in the context of the show. From here, it starts to look less like making the show “universal” and more like an anxious, fearful whitewashing.

<snipped>

...I don’t understand who the Handmaid’s Tale cast is afraid of, who they think they’re answering to, or where they think disavowing feminism will get them. We all inhabit this new reality together, whether we like it or not, and pretending like this is just any show or any time in history won’t save any of us.

More at http://themuse.jezebel.com/isnt-it-relevant-that-the-star-of-the-handmaids-tale-be-1794667562
    • Like Like x 2
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

Elisabeth Moss in this week’s ‘Handmaid’ sure sounded like FBI testimony about Scientology

By Tony Ortega, May 19, 2017

Quote:

Numerous outlets have raised questions about actress Elisabeth Moss, a born-in Scientologist, playing the character Offred in the Hulu television series adaptation of Margaret Atwood’s 1985 novel The Handmaid’s Tale, which portrays an oppressive near-future dystopia.

“It’s ironic, isn’t it?” cult expert Rick Ross told Newsweek recently, “that The Handmaid’s Tale is often portrayed as a cult-like regime requiring endless devotion and control as a society, and yet Elisabeth Moss, a devoted Scientologist, is the star.”

We thought that assessment and several others (Anna Merlan’s was the first that we saw) raised the issue sufficiently, and we weren’t going to weigh in. But then, this week, in the sixth episode of the series, Moss’s character Offred gave such an ironic speech about the oppression she was living under, we couldn’t let it pass without comment.

In the scene, Offred decides to open up to the Mexican ambassador, a woman named Castillo, who had thanked Offred for her “candor” about what a pleasant life she was leading. With a moment away from her oppressors, Offred seizes the opportunity to tell Ms. Castillo what’s really going on — she’s a prisoner subject to physical abuse.

And immediately, when we saw that, we couldn’t help thinking of how much her description evoked what Scientology puts its “Sea Org” workers through.

In 2009 and 2010, the FBI investigated Scientology for human trafficking based on the way it treats its workers at its Sea Org bases, where members sign billion-year contracts and work 112-hour weeks for pennies an hour. Recently, a 285-page file detailing that investigation was obtained by Melissa Cronin at RadarOnline, and she’s shared it with us. Poring through it, you can see how seriously the FBI took the allegations by former Sea Org members who had managed to escape the church’s bases in California and Florida.

To show you what we mean, we’ve pulled out some excerpts from the investigation and juxtaposed them with Offred’s emotional testimony to the Mexican ambassador.

And keep in mind, although Scientology celebrities do get pampered, we’ve demonstrated repeatedly that they are generally aware of the conditions in the Sea Org — could Moss really have delivered these lines without thinking of what her own church is accused of?

Continued at http://tonyortega.org/2017/05/19/el...sounded-like-fbi-testimony-about-scientology/
  14. Incredulicide Member

The softest of all softball questions about Scientology at 6:30 in this video:

Add your own captions..
    M2FyrAN.png
    46X3Lq3.png
  15. Quentinanon Member

I wonder what she is disgusted about?
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

Elisabeth Moss & Scientology: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy

Headings:

1. Moss’s Response to an Instagram Comment About Scientology Sparked Public Discussion

2. She Was Introduced to Scientology by Her Family

3. Leah Remini Says Moss Isn’t Allowed to Talk to Her

4. She Has Said Scientology Makes Her a ‘Better Version of Herself’

5. She Recently Collaborated with Former Scientologist Nicole Kidman on ‘Top of the Lake’

More: http://heavy.com/entertainment/2017/09/elisabeth-moss-scientology-scientologist-handmaids-tale/

Elisabeth Moss Says Scientology Hasn’t Impacted Her Success In Hollywood But Would Never Tell-All About Her Faith On Camera | Celebrity Insider

http://celebrityinsider.org/elisabe...-never-tell-all-about-her-faith-camera-68147/
  17. http://www.bbc/news/entertainment-arts-41302838

Dystopian TV series The Handmaid's Tale has scooped the top drama honours at this year's Emmy Awards.
    The show won five awards including best drama series, best actress for Elisabeth Moss and best supporting actress for Ann Dowd.

[IMG]

hum hum

18. The Wrong Guy Member

Moss wins Emmy for portraying totalitarian cult victim and doesn’t care what you think about it

By Tony Ortega, September 18, 2017

Quote:

As expected, actress Elisabeth Moss took home the Emmy award last night for her role in Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale, besting her fellow nominees for Lead Actress in a Drama Series, Claire Foy (The Crown), Keri Russell (The Americans), Viola Davis (How to Get Away with Murder), Robin Wright (House of Cards), and Evan Rachel Wood (Westworld). The Handmaid’s Tale also won the Emmy for Best Dramatic Series.

In Moss’s acceptance speech, she raised some eyebrows for dropping an f-bomb on live television (which was bleeped out in time by quick-thinking CBS censors). After thanking a laundry list of industry people in her speech, as you do, Moss said, “And my mother. You are brave and strong and smart and you have taught me that you can be kind and a fucking badass.”

Well, in Scientology cursing is practically a sacrament, so maybe Moss’s indecorum shouldn’t be unexpected.

It was journalist Anna Merlan, back in April, who was the first that we saw to bring up what seemed like a very good question. How, Merlan asked, could Elisabeth Moss, a lifelong member of the controlling, totalitarian Church of Scientology, portray Offred, the protagonist in the latest adaptation of Margaret Atwood’s 1985 novel, The Handmaid’s Tale, which portrays a controlling, totalitarian imagined future dystopia?

Since then, quite a few others have remarked on the casting of a Scientologist in such a role, and in May we addressed it by juxtaposing Moss’s lines in a key scene from the series with actual FBI testimony in a recently-released investigation of brutal conditions in Scientology’s Sea Organization.

Here’s a sample from that piece. We thought it was pretty clever:

<snipped>

Now that Moss has won the Emmy, we expect there’s going to be another round of think-pieces about her ability — what, is it hypocrisy? Indifference? A call for help? — which allowed her to play such a role without really addressing the questions by the media about her life in Scientology.

But we were also struck last night by how unconcerned one former member of the Sea Organization was at the news of Moss winning the Emmy. Jefferson Hawkins not only was in the Sea Org, he bore the brunt of some of its most brutal treatment, reportedly being the target of Scientology leader David Miscavige’s physical attacks. And yet, when Moss got her trophy, he wasn’t put out in the least…

More at https://tonyortega.org/2017/09/18/m...ctim-and-doesnt-care-what-you-think-about-it/
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

Elisabeth Moss to Star in Women's Rights Drama 'Call Jane' (Exclusive) | Hollywood Reporter

Robbie Brenner, one of the producers behind the Oscar-winning 'Dallas Buyers Club,' is producing the indie pic along with Jeff Kwatinetz and Kevin McKeon of The Firm.

Quote:

On the heels of her groundbreaking best actress Emmy win for Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale, Elisabeth Moss has signed on to star in Call Jane, an abortion drama to be directed by My Week With Marilyn filmmaker Simon Curtis.

Robbie Brenner, one of the producers behind the Oscar-winning Matthew McConaughey AIDS drama Dallas Buyers Club, is producing the indie pic along with Jeff Kwatinetz and Kevin McKeon of The Firm.

Set in 1960s Chicago, Call Jane focuses on the true story of an underground network of suburban women who secretly provide safe abortions for women in need pre-Roe v. Wade.

Moss will play Jane, a married woman who is unexpectedly pregnant and discovers the underground group of women.

The screenplay, based on the true story of a 1960s movement called the Jane Collective, was written by Hayley Schore and Roshan Sethi, co-creators of The Resident, the upcoming Fox drama set to premiere in January.

“This script [for Call Jane] is commercial and entertaining, but it’s also really relevant to what is going on with the world today,” Brenner told The Hollywood Reporter. “Women’s rights are important and no one should have the right to control a woman’s body. And that such an idea can be challenged today and that we can go back in time on these issues is scary.”

Continued at www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/elisabeth-moss-star-abortion-drama-call-jane-1040877

THIS is pro-woman? Handmaid’s Tale’s Elisabeth Moss signs onto ‘abortion drama’ | Twitchy

Excerpt:

Aside from the fact that there is no such thing as a “safe abortion,” how is this story “really relevant”? Is it relevant like “The Handmaid’s Tale” is relevant? Or is it relevant because Scientology devotee Moss is a proud, prominent face of a religion cult that uses abortion — not to mention physical and psychological abuse — to keep its members in line?

As if. Moss is so busy patting herself on the back for her feminism that she can’t recognize genuine oppression of women when it’s staring her right in the face. Guess signing on to a pro-abortion project is only natural.

More at https://twitchy.com/sd-3133/2017/09...les-elisabeth-moss-signs-onto-abortion-drama/
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

Elisabeth Moss' Emmys-Night Swearing Has Storied Tradition in Scientology, Say Insiders | Hollywood Reporter

Invoking four-letter words in public is part of a church practice that involves reading the "tone scale," according to a former Scientologist and friend. Adds an expert: "Cursing in Scientology is almost a sacrament."

Quote:

Before it even began, it was clear that Elisabeth Moss' Emmys speech was not your typical awards-show chatter.

To the mild shock of many in the Microsoft Theater, the Handmaid's Tale star, 35, uttered an audible "fuck" as she approached the microphone to accept the award. Later in the speech, Moss drew nervous laughter as she addressed her mother Linda in the audience: "You are brave and strong and smart," Moss said. "You have taught me that you can be kind and a fucking badass."

Asked about the profanity backstage, she told reporters, "That was the clean version ... [Winning] should be a surprise — otherwise you're an asshole." Later that evening, Moss posted a photo to Instagram taken at the Governors Ball in which she posed with two Emmys sporting a broad smile, and a raised middle finger. (That gesture is one of her favorites: Moss flipped the bird three times at the 2014 Golden Globes, once with her award for Top of the Lake and twice on live television at E!'s "mani-cam.")

On the surface, the profanity is nothing more than an actress at the top of her game failing to self-censor during the most exciting moment of her career.

But according to Tiziano Lugli, a former friend of Moss' inside the Church of Scientology, who quit the controversial religion seven years ago, the profanity has a specific purpose. It's related to something in Scientology known as "the tone scale."

"Scientologists are urged to communicate with 'average people,' and to do so effectively you have to 'go down the tone scale.' So they all use 'fuck, fuck, fuck' every time they talk. It’s fascinating," Lugli explains. "The quote-unquote philosophy behind it is you match the tone level in order to communicate on the same level of the people with whom you’re communicating. If you’re too 'high-tone,' people will not understand you."

Not everyone requires swearing. Journalists and gay people, for example, are classified as "1.1" on the scale, which signifies "covert hostility," according to Lugli. "That means I have to communicate just slightly above you — which can be anger or hostility. That's where you get Tom Cruise telling Matt Lauer he's being 'glib,'" he explains. (The Church of Scientology and a rep for Moss declined to comment, but the church has denied animosity toward gay people.)

The swearing begins at the highest levels of Scientology and trickles down, Lugli says. He vividly recalls a speech given in the early 2000s by Scientology leader David Miscavige at Gold Base, a church headquarters in Riverside County, California.

"Within the briefing, Miscavige was talking about how Flag [the Clearwater, Florida headquarters] is superior and should be in charge of other Orgs," Lugli recalls. "He said, 'Class V Orgs are fucking DBs, which stands for ‘degraded beings.’ He was like 'fucking this' and 'fucking that' the whole time."

Video of the address began to circulate internally. Cruise, the religion's most famous adherent, studied it intently, Lugli says, wanting "to emulate what power sounds like. So he started swearing. It started there. A culture of 'fuck fuck fuck.'" In a 2004 Rolling Stone profile, Cruise swears repeatedly. ("'Some people, well, if they don't like Scientology, well, then, fuck you.' He rises from the table. 'Really.' He points an angry finger at the imaginary enemy. 'Fuck you.'")

But according to Tony Ortega, the journalist behind the influential Scientology whistleblower blog The Underground Bunker, the practice traces all the way back to the church's founder, L. Ron Hubbard. "There's no question that Scientology has this kind of throwback, hard-smoking, curse-language culture that dates to Hubbard being a Navy guy," Ortega explains.

"Cursing in Scientology is almost a sacrament," he continues. "The Sea Org [a clergy class with a nautical heritage] sets the tone for all Scientology — and it's literally sailors. It's a paramilitary organization that runs Scientology. And the one thing you notice when you run into ex-Sea Org members is they all curse like sailors."

Ortega says Scientologists are taught to believe that Earth is "a prison planet that they're trying to save and there's no point in being polite about it."

Moss' Emmy is a huge win for the church at a time when it needs it badly, coming just days after ex-member Leah Remini took home an Emmy for her work on A&E's Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath, a devastating expose of the church told from the points of view of former members. "I don't hold anything against Elisabeth Moss other than she's continuing to support a group that is abusive and destroying families," Remini, who left the church in 2013, recently told The Hollywood Reporter.

Moss, who was raised inside the church by her parents Ron and Linda Moss, has remained quiet about her beliefs. In a THR cover profile last July, she said she understood the fascination: "I'm happy to read about the thing that I don't know anything about, too." She made a rare reference to Scientology in an Instagram exchange in August with a fan who found it hard to reconcile Moss' adherence to the church with her role in the Hulu drama about a repressive, cultish society.

"Both Gilead and Scientology both believe that all outside sources (aka news) are wrong or evil," wrote the fan. To which Moss replied, "That’s actually not true at all about Scientology. Religious freedom and tolerance and understanding the truth and equal rights for every race, religion and creed are extremely important to me.”

However, Moss' parents "are not particularly strong Scientologists," Ortega points out. "Elisabeth Moss does not hang out with many other Scientologists. And if you look at her course completions list, I don't know that she's the most gung-ho Scientologist."

Moss' next project is Call Jane, an indie feature about abortion. The deal was negotiated in part by her manager, Gay Ribisi of Ribisi Entertainment. Gay is the mother of actor Giovanni Ribisi and his sister Marissa Ribisi, who is married to the musician Beck. All are Scientologists.

Source:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ed-tradition-scientology-say-insiders-1041783