Customize

No Elisabeth Moss, We Are Not Cool With Your Glowing Statements About Scientology

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by CommunicatorIC, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Go to the link and read the entire article.

Ravishly: No Elisabeth Moss, We Are Not Cool With Your Glowing Statements About Scientology
    http://ravishly.com/2014/03/10/no-elisabeth-moss-we-are-not-cool-your-glowing-statements-about-scientology

Excerpt:
    • Like Like x 8
  2. RightOn Member

she is a clueless idiot- perfect cult material
    • Like Like x 3
  3. I might find myself able to ignore her affiliation if I didn't have a damn good idea of the kind of money her cult charges, the pressure they put on their 'whales', and the likelihood of her contributing a decent chunk of her money to people who do awful things. She may be talented, but I will not knowingly give her or any other scion celeb my time or money for that reason.
    • Like Like x 8
  4. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. wolfbane Member

• Like Like x 4
  6. Enturbulette Member

Fandom should not be something out of the control of the individual, as though they "must love" someone for a role or a work of art, no matter how heinous they find other aspects of their life.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Is she still anorexic?
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

This was published today.

‘I don't take acting that seriously. I'm a Valley girl’: Elisabeth Moss on life after Mad Men | The Guardian

Here's the relevant paragraph:

Moss was raised, and remains, a Scientologist. She has long since given up defending the religion, speaking with the honest conviction of someone who knows their own belief to be pure-hearted. “It is weird for me to be put in the position where I am like, ‘No, I can’t. I don’t really want to talk about this.’ You feel kind of like, I am a nice person who likes to talk about stuff. I also get the curiosity. I get the fascination. I become fascinated with things that are none of my business as well. I am just fascinated when someone breaks up with somebody. I want to know all about it. I am very interested in what people are wearing, and all of that kind of thing, but you have a right to your privacy.”

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/...w-mad-men-top-of-the-lake-high-rise-tom-shone
  9. RightOn Member

she is brilliant. :confused:
    I wonder if family disconnection "fascinates" her? Does she want to know about those break ups too?
    You know like Suri and TC?
    Don't get me wrong, this is the one instance I think family disconnection was the right choice and that she should stay FAR away from the Freedom Medal wearer.

Any tweeters out there? Can you let Moss know? You know since she wants to know all about it?
    She is also interested in what people are wearing too! Maybe show her some Sea Org RPF outfits too? All the rage in slave labor and so slimming!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. If she could only be as half as fascinated about her own religion as she is about a bunch of useless shit, maybe she'd wake up to reality.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. JohnnyRUClear Member

Keep Scientology Whatever?
    • Like Like x 3
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

Isn't It Relevant That the Star of The Handmaid's Tale Belongs to a Secretive, Allegedly Oppressive Religion?

By Anna Merlan, Jezebel, April 26, 2017

The Handmaid’s Tale is one of the finest dystopian novels ever written, and it is, inescapably and fundamentally, about women’s oppression under an ultra-conservative regime. The much-anticipated Hulu series based on the book doesn’t shy away from the original subject matter; it couldn’t, really, and remain the Handmaid’s Tale. Which is why it’s so curious that in a recent panel discussion, the cast of the show studiously refused to admit that it’s a feminist story. It brings to mind the way Handmaid’s star Elisabeth Moss has, for years, cheerily dodged questions about her lifelong membership in Scientology and the alleged abuses within the church.

<snipped>

It’s fine that Elisabeth Moss doesn’t want to discuss her religion, or the many alleged abuses within it. (It’s possible that she’s never seen a single unpleasant thing in the church, given that celebrities reportedly receive kid-glove handling.) But it combines in an unpleasant way with her refusal, and that of the rest of the Handmaid’s cast, to have even the most basic conversation about politics or feminism in the context of the show. From here, it starts to look less like making the show “universal” and more like an anxious, fearful whitewashing.

<snipped>

...I don’t understand who the Handmaid’s Tale cast is afraid of, who they think they’re answering to, or where they think disavowing feminism will get them. We all inhabit this new reality together, whether we like it or not, and pretending like this is just any show or any time in history won’t save any of us.

More at http://themuse.jezebel.com/isnt-it-relevant-that-the-star-of-the-handmaids-tale-be-1794667562
    • Like Like x 2
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

Elisabeth Moss in this week’s ‘Handmaid’ sure sounded like FBI testimony about Scientology

By Tony Ortega, May 19, 2017

Quote:

Numerous outlets have raised questions about actress Elisabeth Moss, a born-in Scientologist, playing the character Offred in the Hulu television series adaptation of Margaret Atwood’s 1985 novel The Handmaid’s Tale, which portrays an oppressive near-future dystopia.

“It’s ironic, isn’t it?” cult expert Rick Ross told Newsweek recently, “that The Handmaid’s Tale is often portrayed as a cult-like regime requiring endless devotion and control as a society, and yet Elisabeth Moss, a devoted Scientologist, is the star.”

We thought that assessment and several others (Anna Merlan’s was the first that we saw) raised the issue sufficiently, and we weren’t going to weigh in. But then, this week, in the sixth episode of the series, Moss’s character Offred gave such an ironic speech about the oppression she was living under, we couldn’t let it pass without comment.

In the scene, Offred decides to open up to the Mexican ambassador, a woman named Castillo, who had thanked Offred for her “candor” about what a pleasant life she was leading. With a moment away from her oppressors, Offred seizes the opportunity to tell Ms. Castillo what’s really going on — she’s a prisoner subject to physical abuse.

And immediately, when we saw that, we couldn’t help thinking of how much her description evoked what Scientology puts its “Sea Org” workers through.

In 2009 and 2010, the FBI investigated Scientology for human trafficking based on the way it treats its workers at its Sea Org bases, where members sign billion-year contracts and work 112-hour weeks for pennies an hour. Recently, a 285-page file detailing that investigation was obtained by Melissa Cronin at RadarOnline, and she’s shared it with us. Poring through it, you can see how seriously the FBI took the allegations by former Sea Org members who had managed to escape the church’s bases in California and Florida.

To show you what we mean, we’ve pulled out some excerpts from the investigation and juxtaposed them with Offred’s emotional testimony to the Mexican ambassador.

And keep in mind, although Scientology celebrities do get pampered, we’ve demonstrated repeatedly that they are generally aware of the conditions in the Sea Org — could Moss really have delivered these lines without thinking of what her own church is accused of?

Continued at http://tonyortega.org/2017/05/19/el...sounded-like-fbi-testimony-about-scientology/