Customize

Nochmal Stern

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by lori, May 18, 2008.

1. lori Member

2. Mumble Member

Re: Nochmal Stern

Ich mach das.

Kann ich die Übersetzung in diesem Thread posten?
  3. Mumble Member

Okay, fertig.
    Bitte schaut nochmal nach Fehlern und macht Korrekturvorschläge.

Edit: Correction of the mentioned below
  4. indeedindeed Member

thanks for your work, i think there's some need for corrections. As I want to concentrate more on "official documents" like Larry Brennan, Clearwater Hearings and so on, I will only make a start with this celebrity article in Stern, which mentions Scientology in passing. Don't be discouraged if I point out a lot of sentences, that's normal and any effort is appreciated. I'll have a look at the Brennan affidavit later.
    some suggestions to some points that struck me, probably because they were verbatim translations.

maybe "appeared at" instead of "arose with"?

Don't know about cannibalize, but history is certainly wrong here, as i think it only refers to historic events.
    "One should chew on a good story as long as possible in any way."

I'm pretty sure you can't use "distinguished" this way. In this case "mit einem Oscar ausgezeichnet werden" means "to receive an Oscar". It's not the same as the original, but reasonably clos. also, "unjustly" instead of "for injustice", you can't translate "zu Unrecht" this way. In addition "stylized him to the modern hero" is not possible. I don't know if "stylized" exists, but if it does it would rather be "as a modern hero".
    So, my proposal would be this:

appear instead of arise. I think arise means something like stand up or "auftauchen" but literally, not metaphorically. Meanwhile isn't wrong, but I think "by now" is more accurate:

?

In an article about Will Smith, you can't always translate Will with "wants", because it's also a name. You can't translate loswurde as "loose-became". It's true: "los" means "loose" as well and wurde is past tense third person singular of "werden", but "loswerden" is not just los+werden, it's a new, different word.
    Really, it's always important to check whether the meaning is preserved when translating in a rather verbatim style. "Loswerden" means "getting rid of" if taken verbatim and in this context it means that he spoke friendly words. Also, if I'm not mistaken, "wondering" means something along the lines of thinking/pondering, while "sich wundern" is more like "ask oneself"/"questioning"/"being surprised". They are related, but different. My suggestion, not optimal, but better:

you can't translate "darf nicht zu kurz kommen" by saying "may not come too briefly". Also, "briefly" refers to a span of time, while "short" refers to all the other general meanings of "kurz". Verbatim doesn't always work.

I disagree with "the Tom"

You can't use "more" in this meaning of "mehr".

skillful is too general for "geschäftstüchtig", its more like "fähiger" in general.
    I'm not sure, but maybe:

5. Mumble Member

Sorry, some strange babelfisch results.
    I will correct it within the next days.
  6. Mumble Member

I am not discouraged, I am glad, that you found that mistakes.

Well, I confess, my english is not perfect, in school, 10years ago,
    it has been better. Using babelfisch is no solution for me, as it confuses me about the grammar etc. (as you have seen already :) )
    I try my best, this is good practice for me.
    So thank you for your help.
    Translating english to german is more easier for me,
    but I have my problems with the affedavit too, because of the
    official and legal terms.