Customize

northumbria idle fire .

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by charlie, Aug 4, 2011.

1. RolandRB Member

Maybe we should pester the local council to fix the roof and to charge the scilons. I don't think that the local entrepreneurs would steal tarpaulin roofing (lead and copper yes) but you never know. Let it not be said that we don't love that building. We are the only people who care.
  2. RolandRB Member

hole in roof of grade II listed building‏

Sent: 08 August 2011 09:26:23
    To: enquiriesdevcon@gateshead.gov.uk

Dear Sirs/Madams,

the old Nursing Home on Windmills Hill that is now owned by the Church of Scientology caught fire in recent weeks and one of the wings has a hole in the roof stretching its entire length. This will result in rain damage if nothing is done to fix the roof. This is a Grade II listed building and it would be a tragedy if this building were lost to the people of Gateshead so I hope the local council will do all it can to protect this building from the elements and ensure it remains as part of the rich heritage of the good people of Gateshead.

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/northumbria-idle-fire.91837/page-2#post-1841023

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/northumbria-idle-fire.91837/

Roland Rashleigh-Berry
    • Like Like x 2
  3. RolandRB Member

^^^
    We've just proved that we care! :)
  4. Anonymous Member

Excpt you didn't sign it anonymous...

Still that aside, maybe it takes the utter ruination of a Grade 2 building to convince these local counsels that Scientology must pay for their transgressions. How much civil/criminal liability is at stake for the cult with this?
  5. RolandRB Member

No council would dare take them on with Carter-Fuck representing them.
  6. Sponge Member

LOL, not sure tarp would be a such a great idea. There's a reason it's called "Windmill Hills".
  7. xenubarb Member

Too late, methinks. The deluge was last weekend, with the building open to the sky. /r/ charlie and camera pl0x. Hey chaz, any possibility of walking a council member through on a tour? Or maybe get the Phantom of the Idle Org...lol.
  8. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. RolandRB Member

That's true, it's very exposed to wind. And the roof in its current state won't be able to take a cover with much weight otherwise the whole roof will fall in. The whole thing need to be replaced without delay and slate roofing doesn't come cheap..
  10. Sponge Member

Continuing in "Roland style".....

Imagine if someone was walking past and got a slate in the head. That temporary barrier fence is inadequate don't you think? Especially that close up when you look at the angle of the roof. That fence and the pathetic police tape is also no protection for the council against being sued by anyone, or their next of kin, who happens to be a victim of falling ideal org masonry. So, I'm sure any alert and responsible council would do absoloutely everying in their power to avoid the chance of fatal injury (and being sued for millions).... wouldn't they? I mean you'd hope so, wouldn't you?

For a start they need to take that charred roof apart completely and put some bracing in from front to back to stop the walls from potentially caving in or falling out. Who knows what damage the fire has done to the internal structure. Most of the joists that support the floor, which also give overall structural strength, will be either burnt or waterlogged especially nearer the top. If it's left much longer without a good temporary roof then they might as well put it out of its misery now and, for the safety of all, get the fucking wrecking ball out.

It'll probably be cheaper if they just flatten the whole damn lot because you'd get a gigantic VAT refund for a new build as opposed to a renovation (and for that reason, especially in the state it is now, it would probably be more attractive to potential developers if it were all flattened) http://www.talktalk.co.uk/property/new-build-v-renovation.html
    It already had planning permission for change of use to dwellings at one point in its uncertain history.

How much did scientologist estate agent Richard Mark Pickles allegedly pay for it? £1.5million? If he's lucky, depending on how many dwellings a developer could squeeze onto the nicely flattened plot then he might get most of his money back in a land sale..... unless he's signed it over to David Miscavige already in exchange for some useless mega-meritorious honor.....but that wouldn't happen unless they'd screwed absolutely all they could out of UK scilons and got the renos underway so as not to be a financial liability to the mother cult, would it?

Hmm, the council and the church of scientology/Richard Pickles just better hurry up with that crumbling slate roof because you know what with all the kids being on their summer break and likely to treat it like an adventure playground we don't want loads of poor little Gateshead children unwittingly becoming "Slateshead" children.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. AnotherSock Member

I'm torn. Should the Scientology cult be compelled to deliver on what they promised? Be forced to make Windmill Hills nursing home look like the glossy brochures they gave to the cultists in exchange for all those hundreds of thousands of pounds?

IIRC, planning permission for the place to be operated as a Scientology cult centre was not granted... so can the council compel them to deliver on their promises, when it won't actually allow them to operate the building? That seems kind of weird. It's a great shame to see a Grade II listed building falling into ruin, but the people of Gateshead are safer without UFO cultists for neighbours.

Neither outcome is particularly good. Nor is the alternative, which sees the UK Scientology cult throwing the registered owner under a bus (ie leaving Richard Pickles to face the financial/legal consequences alone). Just one more person destroyed by Scientology.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. RolandRB Member

I think some of the slates might make it over the top of that barrier. The slates near the top of the roof on the left. I think the local kids will find a way in, though, and then some slates might land on their heads when they are inside if the floor doesn't collapse underneath them.
  13. wolfyrik Member

Their duty as owners of a listed building is to maintain it. If they couldn't turn it into their flashy org, they should have ensured it was kept in good condition and kept secure. The best outcome would have been for them to do this, then sell it and bog off. Any other outcome would have been unnaceptable.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Anonymous Member

Local urbexers report a security guard's been on duty for the past week or so.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RolandRB Member

And look, it is saying that security was there when the place first closed. Maybe it was sensible for them to do that and neglectful to take it away.

Also, reading the above report, it seems they have dangerous fungi growing there that is carcinogenic.

http://www.toxic-black-mold-info.com/moldtypes.htm#Stachybotrys
  16. Sponge Member

I wonder if the security guards get issued with proper helmets to protect themselves from bits of crumbling scientology.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Anonymous Member

18. BigBeard Member

From the look of the roof joists in the burned out section, without serious work being done soon, I wouldn't give a pound of Earl Grey tea the roof will make it through the winter without collapsing.

BigBeard
  19. RolandRB Member

You are right. The roof will cave in sometime where the joists are mostly burned through. When is anybody's guess. Maybe a bit more heavy rain will see it out.

I think VERY heavy rain (i.e. a deluge) will make it collapse just from the pressure. Heavy rain is forecast for tomorrow for Gateshead starting before noon and lasting for a few hours and maybe there will be a concentrated spell during that. I will check again tomorrow. I think they are too far east for it.

There is no high winds forecast for the next ten days but if they get that then that should collapse the roof. If they ever get gale force winds forecast then that hill will amplify it.

Edit: no more heavy rain forecast
  20. Anonymous Member

Writing to the council is one thing, but Councils are overworked and under-funded. Isn't listed building status administered by English Heritage? Perhaps EH should be informed, because then they might do something to compel the culties to fix up their fail org.
  21. Anonymous Member

Couldn't hurt but the relevant powers seem to reside with the local authority:
    Also, English Heritage don't seem to take as much interest in Grade II listed buildings as they do Grades I and II*, for example excluding those outside London from their register of Heritage at Risk.
  22. RolandRB Member

"Took a repeat visit here to do some light painting a few days ago" ????
  23. RolandRB Member

Just think, if that mean old council had let them use it as a church and given them rates relief then that building might have had a bright future.

Actually, they might use that argument in Birmingham for Pitmaston House. Give us the dosh or the building gets it. So far, they haven't got the message.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/rates_relief_birmingham_pitmasto
  24. Anonymous Member

I cannot stop laughing at this. I know its horrible to laugh at, but I'm imagining Pyramid Head as a child with slate instead of a pyramid. Which is probably very odd, but that was the image conjured up.
  25. Anonymous Member

Please, somebody shoop this. It needs to be done.

Not samefag, BTW
  26. Sponge Member

Maybe this sort of thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pK27H77ABo ???

Unless he means he's a painter and decorator who happened to be visiting the area to do touch-up job, lol.
  27. Anonymous Member

I think the unpostable reality is the image of a child with the edge of a big slate lodged into his/her skull, collapsing like a rag doll, with a fountain of blood spurting out, and the other kids in panic desperately trying to stem the flow and save their friend, crying on their cellphones for the ambulance to come quick, but its too late. Later, the mother and father are given the devasting news, rush to the hospital in hope but only to have the sickening task of indentifying the mutilated head of the little body that was their kid...... dot jaypeegee.

Such a result would certainly give the church of scientology (the religion of Tom Cruise and John Travolta) some big press and TV of the unwanted kind, and Gateshead Council too, if they fail to act diligently with all the options they have at their disposal to get this resolved in the quickest way possible.
    • Like Like x 2
  28. Sponge Member

From the BBC Newcastle Tyne webcam, which I checked earlier in the daylight
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/tyne/hi/tv_and_radio/newsid_8747000/8747890.stm
    your original forecast was correct. Not sure if it was a deluge enough to make it start crumbling down the hill.
    If they fixed and beefed up the windows, sealed up the doors then, with the roof left open, they could turn it into a huge sort of Body Thetan reef aquarium. The Tynemouth Bluereef Aquarium would be quaking in their wellies at the competition.
  29. xenubarb Member

I bet a pound of Earl Grey tea, hurled judiciously, would collapse that roof right now. (Angry Birds, playing too much, or not enough?)
  30. xenubarb Member

When I see "light" and "painting" in the same sentence, I should think of Caravaggio, or other of the Renaissance painters who were masters of light.
    But no...I think of Ted Stourton.

How sad is that?
  31. Anonymous Member

Is that better or worse than thinking of Thomas Kinkade?
  32. xenubarb Member

Would have mentioned him, but could not remember his name. Only thing came to mind was "twee cottages."
  33. RolandRB Member

A frozen turkey landing on the roof might do it.
    • Like Like x 1
  34. AnotherSock Member

gatesheadscooby.jpg
    Scientology cult, ideal org, scam, Gateshead, Northumbria, Sunderland, Richard Pickles
    • Like Like x 12
  35. charlie Member

Got to nick that LOL .
  36. Anonymous Member

"We were walking around looking at the outside of the building and got questioned by a security bloke and invited to leave the grounds."

Sadly, I'm pretty sure the park area around the care home is public land. And the paths around that area are public footpaths - the one immediately around the building is mostly their property, but as you can see on the land registry map, not entirely. The thick red lines are planning control lines, they clearly mark out what is and isn't part of Windmill Hills. Feel free to point any UrbExers or, you know, Anons in the direction of these maps....print them off and take them along whenever you visit

[IMG]

[IMG]
  37. charlie Member

Yep the path is in the public park , it would have been a great place to protest .
    dsc00126bz1.jpg
  38. wolfyrik Member

Ok I've had news from the council. We need Any local Anons to keep an eye out on the place. Copy of letter from an Officer sent to the councillors for the area:

Just a brief update in relation to Windmill Hills. We have sent the Church of Scientology a draft urgent works notice setting out what works are required to secure the building, prevent further damage to the building and to stop any deterioration. Contractors are today on site carrying out some works including the securing of doors and windows and clearing of combustible materials from inside. Improvements in the landscaping surrounding the building are also being carried out.

Further works to provide temporary cover to the damaged roof are planned, however, this is subject to the release of finances by the church’s insurance company which is causing a delay.

There should be contractors on site over the next 4 or 5 days and I will endeavour to keep you updated as matter progress. I would advise that we will continue to monitor and proceed to take formal action should it become necessary. To this end we are already in discussions with our Construction Services so that in the event we have to undertake works Officers are able to act swiftly.

So it looks like the cult is paying for emergency repairs through insurance, or would be if the insurers weren't causing problems. Could be interesting to monitor this situation. Any Anons local to spot works done?
    • Like Like x 4
  39. Anonymous Member

Printing out those Scooby Doo posters and pasting them up in the vicinity for the win!
  40. RolandRB Member

We need to get into contact with the Church's INSURANCE COMPANY. We need to find out who they are and contact them. They left that building empty and unprotected and the fire was just a matter of course. They should not get any insurance compensation for it when it caught fire because that was likely due to neglect.
    • Like Like x 3