Customize

#Occupy Oakland, The Police & Scott Olsen

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Oct 25, 2011.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Sgt. Shamar Thomas calls on veterans to support the movement

Keith and Sgt. Shamar Thomas, the U.S. Marine Corps veteran who made headlines for his confrontation with NYPD at Occupy Times Square on Oct. 15, discuss his experience at the NYC Occupy rally on Oct. 26, where he was struck by the NYPD while shielding protesters. Using his social media accounts to rally support, Sgt. Thomas reports that at least 25 veterans showed up Wednesday night to walk in solidarity for injured vet Scott Olsen and to protect protesters from NYPD violence.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. xenubarb Member

Let's not forget the sonic cannon they hauled out. It has no projectiles, yet can bust out eardrums and cause all sorts of internal bleeding and other damage.
    Seriously, Oaklanders, don't let that sonic cannon slip thru the cracks. It's a new toy and I bet the brass are just slavering to deploy it against peaceful Americans wielding
    • Like Like x 1
  3. PresidentShaw Member

Dox on internal bleeding and busting of eardrums plox.
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

5. DeathHamster Member

http://eastcountymagazine.org/?q=node/1896
    Lol, a "reporter" from Examiner.com could be srs bz or a complete nutjob, so take with salt.
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

Scott Olsen 'cannot talk' after injury at Occupy Oakland protest | World news | guardian.co.uk

Scott Olsen, the Iraq war veteran who was seriously injured by a police projectile during a protest in Oakland, has regained consciousness but "cannot talk".

Olsen, 24, is communicating with friends and family at his bedside by writing notes, but his injury is believed to have damaged the speech centre of his brain, according to Keith Shannon, who served with Olsen in Iraq.

Olsen is believed to have been injured by a police projectile. He was hit in the forehead in downtown Oakland on Tuesday evening, after marching with fellow demonstrators to protest the closure of an Occupy Oakland camp in the city.

"He cannot talk right now, and that is because the fracture is right on the speech center of his brain," said Shannon. "However, they are expecting he will get that back."

Shannon added that Olsen's "spelling is not near what it used to be".

"The doctors expect that he will have a full recovery," said Shannon, who is due to visit Olsen on Friday afternoon. "However, it is going to be a long road ahead for him."

More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/28/occupy-oakland-occupy-movement
    • Like Like x 1
  7. PodPeople Member

Good for you, Sgt Thomas! I'm wondering how many of these police officers are also Vets in the cities where this kind of borderline unAmerican activity is taking place. I would hope these Vets would do the right thing and walk off the job if asked to carry out any order imposing harm or barriers to the protestors. I would hope they would all stand up, Not Down!, for Lance Corporal Scott Olsen.
    I have buried two friends this year who died, in my opinion, because of highway robbery rate hikes and fees, from banks, mortgage service providers, property insurance, medical insurance, govt run utilities; they had to minimize their health treatments, medicine and care when they needed it the most. One lost her home in the interim, so her family was not able to pass it on. And for what? So some CFO or hedge fund manager can add a yacht and 3rd furnished vacation home to their list of assets?

And now, U.S. cops are harming Vets in the streets. Every vet should be lending at least their voice and all their support, including those on any police force. I'd say it was time they had to choose between their pension or their country and comrades in arms.

I hope Scott Olsen does become the face of this movement. He doesn't just represent Vets; he represents everyday moms, brothers and sisters and friends who packed care packages every month to ship overseas; he represents the employers and businesses who hired them back when they returned no matter what, and he represents the children, not just in America, but the children in war torn areas they assisted, despite all odds, around the world. All these children are now watching what we adults do, right here and right now.

If I'm not mistaken, it's their hope, their happiness and their future place in the new world that we are occupying today.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Anonymous Member

Don't you fucking know how to use Google, Wile E.?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

Quan Chased from Occupy Oakland Rally - The Bay Citizen

quanbatts04_adi_web.jpg

Mayor Jean Quan, who approved the removal by force of Occupy Oakland this week, apologized Thursday, even as protesters chased her from a rally and defied her requests not to camp by erecting 30 tents, a child care center, a library and a small garden.

Quan was greeted with cries of “Go home!” and “Citizen’s arrest” when she attempted to address hundreds of protesters gathered near City Hall late Thursday evening. The mayor retreated into the building after some demonstrators rushed at her, refusing to let her speak, witnesses said.

For most of Thursday, Quan wavered over whether to address protesters at Occupy Oakland's daily meeting, known as a general assembly. She told friends and aides that she planned on attending the proceedings at 6:30 p.m.

Quan finally appeared at Frank H. Ogawa Plaza around 10:30 p.m., just as the general assembly was ending. The mayor, apparently alone, walked up one of the wheelchair ramps toward the amphitheater stage.

By the time she reached the platform, protesters had realized who she was and surrounded her, according to witnesses. Some screamed epithets, including “bitch.”

Quan quickly retreated up the steps of City Hall, trailed by jeers. She disappeared into the mayor’s office. The lights remained on until at least 11:30 p.m. but it was unclear whether Quan was inside.

More: www.baycitizen.org/occupy-movement/story/quan-shouted-down-occupy-oakland/
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Anonymous Member

Quan's barely in office and already in deep shit. Oakland's got serious ongoing problems, a police riot is the last thing they needed over there.
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

Yes, you're right. This was published yesterday:

The Oakland Police Department’s Troubled History | Criminal Justice | FRONTLINE | PBS

Since 2003, the department has been monitored by a federal judge as a result of a consent decree with the federal government. The decree came following a scandal in which four police officers, who nicknamed themselves “The Riders,” were accused of beating up and robbing suspects and planting evidence while they worked the night shift in a poverty stricken neighborhood in West Oakland.

And earlier this month, U.S. District Court Judge Thelton Henderson threatened to put the department — which is already eight years into what was expected to be a five-year consent decree — into federal receivership. Under the decree, Henderson receives regular progress reports from an independent monitor on the department’s progress on reforms. “We are seriously concerned with the department’s stagnation — and now, reversal — in achieving compliance,” Robert Warshaw, the independent monitor in Oakland, wrote in a report just a few weeks ago.

More: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...-oakland-police-departments-troubled-history/
  12. Glenn Beck Member

Sounds like Scott might have flunked-out of the corps.

"In 2010, the Marines issued Olsen an “administrative discharge.” Maj. Shawn Haney, a Marines spokesman based in Quantico, Va., declined to discuss Olsen’s discharge, but said his departure could have been for anything from a medical condition to a punitive measure"

I wonder what might heave got the boot for? I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

Scott wrote: "I was talking to my 1stsgt regarding a pending adsep since i had been accused of using cocaine. Anyway, when we were done talking, he used as a parting greeting “stay marine”. He clearly didn’t think that one through. It was no secret that I couldn’t wait to get out and on top of that, the MC was trying to kick me out. I was going to bust his balls over it, but I went and took a nap instead."

Resulting in Scott creating his own website before he was discharged. WWW.IHATETHEMARINECORPS.COM

And what in the hell is he planning with this?

[IMG]
    flickr

more here.

Exmarine might be fitting of Scott.

Semper fi.
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

raymedeirosshow Ray
    goo.gl/I5t6q @gatewaypundit tries to smear #ScottOlsen. Here is my take down of their slander and lies #ows #occupyoakland
    1 hour ago

The Right Launches A Smear Campaign Against Occupy Oakland's Scott Olsen

The Gateway Pundit is the go to site for the extreme ideological right wing. It also has the journalistic integrity of North Korea. In the latest post by this vile website, Jim Hoft, Gateway’s owner wrote and posted this article titled “Good Grief… Leftie Hero Scott Olsen Is Founder of “I Hate the Marines Corps.com” & Is a Jew-Basher”.

Now, knowing the right wing’s history of fabrication and lies I dug into the history of the website they reference, IHATETHEMARINECORPS.COM. It turns out that it is registered to Scott Olsen, BUT it is registered to Scott Olsen from Milan, Illinois.

The Scott Olsen the Gateway Pundit is referencing is Scott Olsen from Onalaska, Wisconsin who was critically injured at Occupy Oakland. Scott moved to California after finding a job in the information technology field in San Francisco, with the help of his roommate Keith Shannon. The distance from Onalaska WI to Milan Ill. is over 200 miles away.

The website they reference was created on January 28th 2009. Scott was deployed to Iraq twice. The first time, August 2006 to May 2007 and then from 2008-2009, he left the Marines in November of 2009.

This is how vile and disgusting the right wing is. They will try and discredit a soldier, an Iraq veteran, just because it fits their narrow narrative to discredit an entire movement.

How many Scott Olsens are in the United States? We don’t even know if the Scott Olsen that created the website was even in the Marines, but we do know, by looking into the history of the website, that the Scott Olsen the website is registered to is from Illinois, not Wisconsin.

This doesn’t mean that it can’t be the same Scott Olsen, but the point is, what does it matter? This is America. Scott Olsen is still a hero who served his country in Iraq, and a hero does not deserve to be smeared in a desperate attempt to discredit a movement.

The attack on Scott Olsen is based on the right’s delusion that all soldiers are happy warriors, and nobody who serves ever leaves the military is disenchanted. It doesn’t matter whether Scott Olsen fits the right wing image of the superhero soldier. This man didn’t deserve to have his skull fractured by the police.

Don’t be distracted, by the right’s games. Scott Olsen is still a hero for his service to his country and for standing with the protesters at Occupy Oakland.

Source: http://www.politicususa.com/en/right-smear-scott-olsen
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Anonymous Member

PROTIP: Making a site called "I Hate the Marine Corps" while in the Marines is generally frowned upon. Someone's not the fine upstanding citizen he's being portrayed as.
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

16. The Wrong Guy Member

Sgt. Shamar Thomas on attack of Scott Olsen at Occupy Oakland

In Nashville and San Diego, occupiers were arrested by police in an effort, officials say, to insure safety. The cops there also confiscated personal belongings including donated food. Many believe this is an effort to dissolve the movement, but in Oakland the numbers have multiplied. The increase in protesters is a response to Scott Olsen. The American war vet was attacked by Oakland police which led to the Marine to be taken to the ER. Sergeant Shamar Thomas, Marine and Occupy Wall Street protester, sounds off on the latest about the movement.
  17. Anonymous Member

Are
    you fucking kidding me? This thing is a directional microwave oven if abused by dumb cops. And they will.

Seriously, let's not be asking "what is a George Foreman grill?" because it's kind of basic science.

Look it up Shaw. This is known.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Anonymous Member

Prov
    Prove it's the same guy or STFU.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. PresidentShaw Member

I thought we were talking about the sound canon and not the microwave non lethal weapons.
  20. 00anon00 Member

He was a Marine
    He exercised his constitutional right to free speech and was severely injured.
    He is not enough of a Marine for you?
    He free speech was not approved by you?
    This is despicable.
    Of all your opinions, this is the only one that leads me to believe that you are despicable, Glen.
    • Like Like x 4
  21. Glenn Beck Member

McVeigh at least got an honorable discharge, does that mean you respect him too?

There are limits on respect afforded for ones service. Someone who hates the corps and gets the boot for doing dope doesn't exactly garner the respect I afford to those who honorably serve. I'll reserve my respect for his service pending his DD214.
  22. The Wrong Guy Member

Police Informant Returns

OPD informant Mandingo Hayes is once again attempting to disrupt and derail a movement in Oakland.

Outspoken and controversial Oakland figure Mandingo Hayes was initially outed as an OPD informant by members of the Prisoners of Conscience Committee during the 2009 Oscar Grant movement. His questionable background as a former pimp who served time in prison for pistol whipping his girlfriend conflicted with the way he portrayed himself as the leader of the newest incarnation of the black panthers in Oakland. An Oakland Tribune article from 2003 reposted here Mandingo Hayes Outed As Informant explains his role as a police informant in a prostitution bust 8 years ago.

Since he was outed in 2009, Mandingo has rarely been seen in public. During the riots that ensued after the verdict in the Johannes Mehserle trial in July of 2010, he appeared in the middle of an intersection instructing people to cause mayhem while he kept his hands relatively clean. A few minutes later he walked up to a demonstrator and punched him from behind with no provocation. When another demonstrator attempted to break up the altercation, he was grabbed by police while Mandingo was left free to walk away.

He resurfaced on Tuesday during the confrontations with the police. As he has done in the past, he attempted to convince someone to perform highly illegal actions while he himself did nothing but shout. He was present again last night during the confrontation with the BART police. He must not be allowed to infiltrate the Occupy Oakland movement.

It is important to note that the only time he appears in any political situation is during a confrontation with police and that he is always alone and always encouraging others to commit criminal actions. It is also of note that OPD officers have addressed him by name in the streets several times in the past few years, the most recent instance being Tuesday.

An Oakland Tribune Article released yesterday states that "Mandingo Hayes – a man accused of being a police informant during the Oscar Grant movement – emerged, attempting to lead protesters down San Pablo towards police saying, "I don't care if its police there."

It is imperative that we stay safe and keep our eyes out for people who are known to have worked as police informants. Below are images of Mandingo.

This is a video of him being interviewed at an Oscar Grant Rally back in 2009 Oscar Grant Rally at Fruitvale BART

Mandingo, seated center, during the January 7, 2009 Oscar Grant protest

[IMG]

More: http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2011/10/27/18695538.php
    • Like Like x 3
  23. xenubarb Member

I reckon you can google it.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. anonymous612 Member

You do not have a constitutionally granted right to throw glass bottles at police officers. Ever.
  25. 00anon00 Member

True statement and unrelated to my post
  26. Glenn Beck Member

Obviously cops wear riot gear so you CAN throw rocks and bottles at them. That's why we pay taxes, freedom of expression.

In the videos shit is flying both directions.
    • Like Like x 2
  27. Kilia Member

"The Wrong Guy"....have you ever considered going into Investigative Journalism"? Respect.
    • Like Like x 5
  28. Anonymous Member

Apparently the police are not well-trained enough to wade into a crowd wearing their riot gear, carrying shields, guns, tear gas and billy clubs...and pull out the bottle throwers....but more clever yet? Just let the people protest. This department has a bad reputation.
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

Thanks. I've already had a few books and many articles published.

Doing what I can to help is something I find rewarding. As you know, what we are accomplishing here is important.

glenn-beck-women-275.jpg
    • Like Like x 9
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

Hackers come out of shadows to attack police, support Occupy protests | ITworld

Anonymous DDOSes Oakland cops, calls for general mayhem; TeaMp0isoN posts vulnerable sites

After more than a month of operating only behind the scenes or in the real world, hacktivist group Anonymous has brought its big guns to bear in support of the OccupyWallStreet protests.

Members of the group launched a DDOS attack that brought down the main web site of the Oakland Police Department for much of last night, cracked at least part of the security on an Oakland city government server and posted information on the names and data structure of Oakland city servers and the names, addresses and other personal data on Oakland police.

Members of the group have also put out the call for more hacked data and offered a $1,000 reward for specific data on the officer who fired the riot-control weapon that critically injured Iraq War veteran Scott Olsen.

Other hacker groups are also getting in on the fun, though not always aiming specifically at the Oakland police.

A hacker posting for TeaMp0isoN under the name _f0rsaken put up a list of police-department web sites that are vulnerable to MSAccess SQL injections along with encouragements to "use your tools, knowledge, whatever it may be" to increase the impact of online protest by cracking the sites and posting data from them.

_forsaken wrote that he/she gained access to the data, but didn't post it in order to let others see how vulnerable the sites are.

"You got the resources," _forsaken wrote. "Do what you need to do, pwn, pwn, pwn."

More: http://www.itworld.com/security/217...shadows-attack-police-support-occupy-protests
    • Like Like x 2
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

Who shot Scott Olsen at Occupy Oakland?

US Marines are gathering evidence to prosecute the officers who shot fellow Marine Scott Olsen, member of Veterans for Peace, at Occupy Oakland on Tuesday night.

On Twitter today, eye witnesses say that the San Francisco Sheriff's Department was on the front police line at Occupy Oakland when the tear gas canisters were fired. In the video below, San Francisco Sheriff ESU team member Scott Bergstresser, the man with two stripes, is standing next to officer Ceciel Yambao.

"Multiple copies of the videos used to ID Yambao, Bergstresser and officer Hugo Aparicio are on servers. Too late for YouTube takedowns," according to a Twitter message.

"Two questions that Bergstresser should be asked under oath: Did you fire directly at Scott? Did you throw a grenade?" At minimum, San Francisco Sheriff ESU Bergstresser is a witness. Bergstresser struck at a disabled woman several times with his baton before the gas attack began.

More: http://bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2011/10/video-who-shot-scott-olsen-at-occupy.html
    • Like Like x 2
  32. ItchyScratchy Member

Are you saying the marine was throwing glass bottles at police officers? Because that seems like something you should be able to prove.
    • Like Like x 5
  33. The Wrong Guy Member

34. 00anon00 Member

A sheriff from San Francisco goes to Oakland and incites law enforcement to attack protesters. Sounds plausible.
  35. Anonymous Member

If the police wanted to fire mostly non-lethal weapons into the passive crowd rather than cutting out the trouble-makers, maybe they should have equipped everyone with helmets and padding?

Are those "bean bag" projectiles so inaccurate that they couldn't get a good center of mass shot at the throwers? (Occupy needs to practice this move: If someone behind you is throwing stuff at the police, open up and give the police a clear shot at the idiot. Police need to practice not spraying a large group at random.)
  36. The Wrong Guy Member

37. Anonymous Member

38. anonymous612 Member

Really? You claimed his participationg in the OWS protests was exercising his rights. You know, the protests where protesters flatout admitted throwing bottles at police, instigating the tear gas canisters, etc.

That would by the way be the same canister that hit him in the head.

But yeah, my statement that throwing glass bottles at police officers is not protected by the constitution is TOTALLY unrelated. Way to ignore any point that isn't convenient to your own.
  39. The Wrong Guy Member

This is a duplicate post from the thread at http://forums.whyweprotest.net/threads/occupywallstreet-updates.94183/page-22

A Message to All Police Officers From Occupy Wall Street

Mike Ruppert addresses those police officers who have begun a campaign of violent and brutal attacks at some of the Occupy Wall Street protesters around the country, and around the world.

In this video, Mike mentions the lecture he gave in 2001 at Portland State University. It was while he was getting ready to speak that I introduced myself to him, and told him that I would do anything I could to help him. As you will understand if you take the time to watch this entire video, and pay attention to what he says, I have tremendous respect for him. I hope that many people spread this video around.
    • Like Like x 2
  40. over9000OT Member

***Edit, I'm an idiot.***

Two things:
    -less than lethal munitions are nearly impossible to aim with any real precision. Thanks to the low levels of propellant used in the rounds, their muzzle velocity is relatively slow, resulting in a low amount of accuracy. Further, the munitions are usually fired from short barreled weapons, further degrading their accuracy. Finally, the munitions are usually not fired from rifled barrels meaning that they are not spin-stabilized and are even less accurate. Much past about 50ft, it is not even possible to tell if you would hit a human-sized target. No judgment inherent to any of my statements here, just the facts.
    -I have problems with police brutality on any level and believe that police must comport themselves in a manner beyond reproach. I am also generally suspicious of the enforcement arm of any government organization. That said, the first, and most important, mission of the police is public safety. Riots have the potential to seriously impact public safety. Police attempting to control large groups of people flagrantly violating the law are presented with relatively few options. Believe it or not, and I know that many of you will not, police use various irritants to disperse a crowd to prevent that crowd getting so large and unruly as to turn into a dangerous riot. The police are protecting the public at large when they hose down a riot. Yeah, the rioters can get pretty fucked up. A tear gas canister to the melon is no laughing matter.
    So, which would you rather:
    [IMG]
    or
    la-riots.jpg
    Sorry for the Jarhead and everything. Bet he thinks twice about feloniously assaulting an officer of the law again.
    • Like Like x 1