Customize

#OccupyWallStreet Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AnonCMD, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fallingspider Member

It's a nice Idea but I don't think you could convince everyone not to go go...or the electoral college would vote anyway and finally destroy any reasoning behind the public voting.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Anonymous Member

Another retarded cop hater it looks like. Whoever goes to this, be aware that now its likely there will be people who will want confrontation with the law.
  3. AnonyVix Member

Didn't it all happen yesterday? If it's the video I saw yesterday it was more a plea for the cops to join the protest than any kind of confrontational stuff. Doubtless fell on deaf ears.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. lulzgasm Member

A little bird told me it will be for the end of corporate personhood and to have a wall of seperation between Corporation and State....
  5. Glenn Beck Member

A small band of edgy proles romanticize' to occupy Wall St. in protest, and then, spend their day in introversion as they palaver out their own micro-bureaucracies with no actionable objectives?

Am I missing anything here?
  6. WMAnon Member

You missed the hippie drum circle
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Anonymous Member

8. Anonymous Member

best sign evar (circa 2008)

jump.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  9. DeathHamster Member

10. Anonymous Member

They say that some 400 people have 90% of the wealth. Anyone got names and addresses? 'cause I'm thinking that's where the protests need to be happening. Not that Wall St. is neccesarily a bad choice...
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 6
  12. anonymous612 Member

They're strongly talking about storming the barricades at Wall Street tomorrow. Brb popcorn and inb4 arrests.
  13. Anonymous Member

you forgot the smell
  14. grebe Member

Um, isn't "the State" a corporate entity?
  15. Anonymous Member

That's more like it. Not a prole in sight as far as I can see.
  16. lulzgasm Member

Yes and no.
  17. lulzgasm Member

God I love this woman....
    • Like Like x 2
  18. whosit Member

• Like Like x 3
  19. fucking loling at all the failure , tell me again, WHAT IS THE PLAN? LOLZ
  20. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  21. Well, the original plan was to camp on the sidewalks of wall street (which is public property) but the cops barriacaded it beforehand (ACLU should make a fuss about this).

So they settled in liberty plaza, which is owned by Brookfield Proerties.

At first, Brookfield wanted to kick them off, and the cops were circling like sharks. Then the owners decided that they could remain, but no loud noise, no tents, no vandalism. This decision was made around 7pm saturday night.

The cops remained, and kinda closed in, as the local people started leaving. It then seemed like more cops than protestors at that point.

The facilitators were trying to come up with contigency plans. Namely, If the cops decided to disperse them what would they do? A couple of people wanted to resist, but the main decision was whether to camp on the sidewalks all around the block, or relocate to a small pedestrian mall (louise nevelson plaza) @ the corner of liberty and maiden, nearby.

A couple of lawyers confirmed that city ordinances dont allow "structures" on sidewalks like tents, and if you are gonna sleep, you have to do it 10 feet from the road.

The consensus was NOT to split up among the sidewalks, and stick together so, they decided on sticking it out quietly in liberty plaza aka zuccotti park.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. DeathHamster Member

Zuccotti Park, formerly called Liberty Plaza Park, is a 33,000-square-foot (3,100 m2) privately-owned public park in Lower Manhattan in New York City, located between Broadway and Church streets and Liberty and Cedar Streets. The park's northwest corner is across the street from the World Trade Center site. The park is owned by Brookfield Properties.
  23. Anonymous Member

inb4waitingforwallstreettoshootitselfinthefootagainala911
  24. Anonymous Member

There was no hateful or violent speech in this video.
    English much?
    • Like Like x 1
  25. the whole thing had a great feel to it. Speakers taking turns with the megaphone, drum circles, topless chicks.

It was actually organized well enough (thanks to the NYC General Assembly steeping up and getting some semblence of order.) They set up runners, medics, food statioms, a 'stack' system to allow individuals to speak to the masses.

They set up functional groups, like a lawyer group, mediator groups (to keep a dialogue with the large cop presence). They tried to make paths and walk ways through the crowd for easier organization, but that didn't work (too many people).

The atmosphere was somewhere between a phish concert and political rally. The majority seemed to be in the 20-35 age group, with a fair amount of older people too.

I dont think the problem was so much the logistics (it was passable) it was the initial lack of concrete agenda (should have had at least "corporate personhood" in mind weeks before) and sheer lack of numbers.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. yeah youre right, whoops. The pedestrian mall on liberty and maiden is the largest publically owned area nearby.

i forgot they changed the name to zucotti park, thought it was a separate location. That's what i get for listening to out-of-towners making plans down there.
  27. ItchyScratchy Member

28. Anonymous Member

What they should have done was plan to wear business attire and just walk separately to wall street at a certain time
    and pretend to be among them at like 7am on a weekday walk aimlessly around then at 8am stage the protest
    • Like Like x 5
  29. James Spader Member

I'm not sure how anyone can consider this optional. Boggles the mind. Hope they're having fun.
    This is a really interesting idea. [files away for future reference]
    • Like Like x 3
  30. WMAnon Member

#FlashMobWallStreet has a certain ring to it...
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Sounds hugely pointless.

Groups of people who want to protest something but don't know what it is - becoming a trend?

"What do we want?" "We don't know"
    "When do we want it?" "Now"
  32. DeathHamster Member

Are they planning to issue a press release next week to let us know what the demand was?
    • Like Like x 1
  33. James Spader Member

Wouldn't be the first time, but needs moar catchy guitar riffs

34. ItchyScratchy Member

It was actually a little more coherent then the first chanology protest in feb 2008.
    • Like Like x 2
  35. The Wrong Guy Member

36. Yikes. That's poor miming. Try

Shame they're fat old TV insurance salesman bastards now.

Ian Dury would never have sold insurance.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. So, what was the point of the wall st thing?
  38. ItchyScratchy Member

http://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/occupywallstreet
    https://occupywallst.org/

Feel free to read up, they've had those websites up since july. I don't know if I agree with their corporate / non person demand.

I know since it was posted in the planners web site it made this op seem silly but it's definitely a reflection of frustration and an unemployment rate for those in the 20-35 range that will become more and more problematic for the US.

You can also see that it was an extension of the internal day of rage which had lots of backing in spain. All of these things are just the symptoms of high unemployment rates in that 20-35 range, be it the arab spring or these nascent protest movements in europe and the US.

Any ways, we should probably just point and laugh at them, seems more productive.
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Anonymous Member

corporate personhood - it's the disease that has the symptoms of low employment, wealth disparity, etc
    • Like Like x 5
  40. James Spader Member

Corporate personhood is a serious issue, but not at all sure this demo gives a powerful or even coherent msg. about it.
    Oh how the mighty have fallen...

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.