Customize

Operation: Data Protection Shield

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Anonyunderpants, May 12, 2008.

1. Anonqwerty Member

Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

Lol, pretty lame. Ignore them, they're just trying to get to you.

Don't do anything stupid, stay on target. Think of all their BS as evidence that you're pushing in the right direction.
  2. anonymoose Member

Thanks unidentified. That's cleared up then. I did think it would be a very stupid thing to say if it wasn't directly related to the legislation, they wouldn't leave themselves open like that.
  3. asagai Member

Good advice. Anons rock!

All anonyunderpants needs to do is report their answer to ICO and get a solicitor for his next letter.

All anons need to know is that the CofS try to lure you into argument and they watch for statements that they can take you to court for.

Hubbard policy is to tie up critics in litigation, not to win the litigation but to consume the critic's time and finiances in order to carry out the LRH policy to "destroy" them "utterly".

The genius of this project is that it uses the ICO to apply the law and avoids personal litigation. Anonyunderpants can never be taken to court for asking the ICO to apply the DP legislation.

Stay focussed on that anonyunderpants and don't let the CofS sucker you into argument. That would be playing their game. There would be no epic win in doing that!
  4. bodger Member

my driving license currently has an old address on it.

I am sure thats up to a £1000 fine
  5. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

Says who? Ask them to clarify what grounds they have to make this claim. The DPA seems pretty clear as to what people's rights are. The burden of proof as to whether a person is engaged in any action is also upon them too. They have to prove it, or STFU.

Van 'em.
  6. NTFD Member

I hope this hasn't been gone over before (probably has, my reading comprehension is shit right now), but are there any similar laws that USAFags might find helpful? If there's nothing national, is there anything in state law, particularly in Massachusetts and California? Or any other state where fair-gaming has occurred, of course; those two just pop into my mind immediately.
  7. asagai Member

The UK Data Protection Act covers non-UK residents who have data on them stored in the UK.

But in practice anons who have been photographed at a US picket won't have had there photos sent to OSA in the UK, they will be being stored and processed in the USA.

But any ex-Scio who visited the UK for Scio courses (and there are thousands of them) would be able to use the act even if they don't live in the UK.

In Australia there is similar legislation that Aussie anons could use.
    National Privacy Principles
  8. orly Member

The ICO guys sound like they want only what's best for you, and to help you in regards to the DPA. There's no need to fight your battles on your own now, especially since it sounds like the CoS isn't going to roll over and play nicely. After filing a complaint, it might be a good idea to inquire about finding/getting a solicitor to help you (assuming this doesn't cost too much).
  9. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

Next draft:

I want to give them the opportunity to comply with the law before I start complaining to the info commissioner. I'm going to speak to an attourney on Wednesday to get legal representation but don't want to start paying an attourney to write letters than they shouldn't have to.

I know the section on fair gaming is long, but the law does state that I need to back up the reason why I believe they'll cause me unnecesary distress.
  10. Anonqwerty Member

I REALLY don't feel it is neccessary to list their crimes.

My take (I have no legal training whatsoever):
    Their letter states that they DO NOT RECOGNISE your request yet, so their response is meaningless apart from their claim that you must provide them more information. Once they actually recognise your request they MUST respond, and THEN, if they repeat their "distress not unwarranted line", you take it further. You're getting ahead of yourself by countering it already. Stay on target.
  11. asagai Member

I would seriously advise saying as little as possible in your reply. The more you say, the greater the opportunity the CofS has to tie you up in legal wrangling.

This is what they seek to do.

I would not reply until you have seen a solicitor. I would only quote the ICO instructions and advice.

I suggest you send the evidence of why their processing of your data is causing you distress to the ICO NOT the CofS.

The idea is that you get the ICO to prosecute action against them. You use them as your shield. Don't give the CofS any ammunition to use against you.
  12. Anonqwerty Member

This.
  13. danaBanana Member

I concur - keep it short and to the point.

The solicitors don't care about the crimes, and if you feel you need to explain to the ICO why the processing of your information causes you distress, write it in your complaint to him.
  14. goose1 Member

Yeah i'd like to 3rd what asagai said. I dont see any advantage in delaying, making this complicated or being lenient. I thought the idea was that you make a simple complaint to the ICO and they take it off your hands and investigate/prosecute on their own.
    I understand you wanting to check with a solicitor before you make your complaint but I cant see how that is really needed as long as you just keep it simple and follow the ICO's advice.
  15. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

Cheers guys,

I know we've talked about this through PMs Asagai but I do need to follow the correct procedure for a DPA and give them a chance to follow the law.

I'm sending the following:

And please don't worry about the credit card statement guys - just trust me that I have it covered.
  16. anon9000+ Member

!!! :cheers:

There are some WONDERFUL people on enturb... :fuckyou:
  17. asagai Member

Good luck anonyunderpants.

Remember not to let them draw you in to arguments. That's what they want to do. Just stick to the DPA steps.
  18. XenuLovesU Member

Love what you've got going on in this thread -- but I just wanted to toss in my .02 worth regarding the content and tone of the letters.

Best to keep all emotion out of it. Stick to the facts regarding your data... injecting accusations into a letter makes you sound less credible. Good on ya for putting them out here for comment and advice before firing away!

Anxiously waiting to see how this pans out for you :smile:
  19. Theta Omega Member

And remember, if you need advice, call the ICO. They have a helpline, the government is on your side (for a change) and they will tell you what you need to do; if they don't comply, then the ICO will take action on your behalf to force them to get their act together.

Can we get a repost of the helpline number please? I'm not sure which of the various ICO numbers other anons have been calling.
  20. asagai Member

The helpline number for the Information Commissioners Office is:

08456 30 60 60
  21. ScudMuffin Member

Ten Days Remain!
  22. asagai Member

Further info for ex-Scios as to how we can roll out this campaign as regards the private data the CofS has on us:

I spoke again today with the Information Commissioners Office and described PC folders and how the data is culled out of it.

This activity was described as "ridiculous" by the ICO and there is a possibility we could successfully challenge the CofS under the Data Protection Act.

As OSA will be watching this thread some of this will have to be done by PM.

Anyone who PMed me about it before please PM me again and I'll fill you in.

Anyone else who wants to know how a challenge could be launched - PM me.

Any person who has done auditing or training in the UK at any time is eligable for protection under the UK Data Protection Act.

This will take a co-ordinated campaign, but the campaign moves forward! :thumbsup:
  23. asagai Member

Ok, guys, message to Ex-Scios this is specifically what we are looking for:

* Anyone who has personal experience of the CofS not handling personal data according to the following:-

* Fairly and lawfully processed
    * Processed for limited purposes
    * Adequate, relevant and not excessive
    * Accurate and up to date
    * Not kept for longer than is necessary
    * Processed in line with your rights
    * Secure
    * Not transferred to other countries without adequate protection

* Anyone who believes data is or was held on them in the UK.

* Anyone who has personal experience of the use of:-

* PC folder data
    * Ethics folder data
    * Committees of Evidence
    * OSA handling of data
    * and experience of the nature of the data that is sent up-lines to OSA, Justice Chiefs and RTC.

* Anonymous reports are welcomed. PM me

* Signed reports are welcomed. PM me

We are also looking for individuals who have taken CofS services in the UK and who are already being outed, targetted and/or fair gamed by the CofS. In other words individuals who have nothing to lose and everything to gain from seeking protection from the Information Commissioners Office by making a challenge to the CofS under the Data Protection Act. PM me and we will help you.
  24. MongoLloyd Member

If you're going to mention the BBC Panorama documentary, perhaps the most relevant bit to reference would be where they popped up out of nowhere when he was interviewing Sean Lonsdale, and brought with them a file containing all kinds of docs on him. It not only illustrates their harassment of critics, but also gives visual proof that they collect and store information on them.
  25. ScudMuffin Member

He's not, it got edited out of the letter.
  26. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

Believe me, when this goes to small claims court (which it is in order to get the Data Protection "restraining order") that will be one of many pieces of evidence that I cite.

They have that letter as of wednesday and I didn't get my statement back yesterday. That's not ASAP.
  27. Theta Omega Member

They still haven't responded to my letter of over a month ago. I'm sending another copy today.
  28. Silent Member

You all do realize that you have to contact whatever agency is in charge with this stuff, and not scientology right?
  29. danaBanana Member

No, we don't.

First, Scientology has to have a chance to comply with the request, after all they have the records.

If they fail to comply then we bring in the Data Protection Agency, and Scientology gets loved in the rear.
  30. Helios. Member

7 Days left
  31. ScudMuffin Member

They have to reply in 21 Days, supply info in 40.

If they haven't replied in 21 days then get onto the Information Commissioner blokes.
  32. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

Another reply:

I'm, to quote one of my customers once, incandescent with rage. The gloves come off now. I'm thinking the following reply:

33. anonymoose Member

Anonyunderpants!

My humble suggestion- don't reply.

Call the Information Commissioner's office, explain what has happened and let them take over from here. They (the CoS lawyers) are being obstructive and you need to let the IC people take over. They'll have a clearer idea of what's "reasonable" and what isn't (it doesn't matter what you or I think is reasonable, tbh, it's what might fly in court).

At the very least DO NOT send them anything written in anger. First stop, let it sink in a while, take a breath. But imho, don't reply at all.

Just my 2p. And congratulations to you for doing this.
  34. anon2487 Member

This.

This idea is full of juicy goodness, but Anonymoose, he speaks the truth.
  35. shadowchaser Member

Whatever you do don't send that reply. Go straight the ICO. They have already confirmed that any further information would be excessive, so pass it over to them to deal with.
  36. danaBanana Member

Yes, off to the ICO you go. Good job so far!
  37. taurelilomea Member

Go to the ICO, and bring back results! :-D
  38. Minitrue Member

Major props on all this, btw. Yes, I agree with all these people. Don't send the letter, and just go straight to the ICO. You've given CoS plenty of opportunities to comply.
  39. ínnominata Member

I'm going to add my tuppence to this: Don't reply to anyone but the Information Commissioner. This is blatent obstructionism. If any of the organizations I've worked for sent those kind of responses to a DPA request, they'd get shat upon. From orbit.

It's time we stopped playing nice and trying to make the cult act reasonably: they won't. Rather, why don't we give the government the opportunity to show it's good for something/do its job? Enough footbullets in re: DPA requests, and the cult will have its personal information toys taken away. Enough people point out that the cult is claiming to heal via auditing, and the trading standards people will be all over them like the guy who dropped the soap. :twisted:
  40. Silent Member

ICO, MOTHER FUCKERS, DO YOU USE IT?