Customize

Operation: Data Protection Shield

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Anonyunderpants, May 12, 2008.

1. Silent Member

Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

Vegnej, read my post above. Info has to be in EU-country for this law to apply.
  2. tazor Member

Just a thought...anyone who has been declared an sp, no matter what country they live in, can use this. Co$ is suppose to send declares to ALL orgs so UK orgs should have a copy of your goldenrod.

Those of us living in countries other then the UK need a lawyer to handle this for us so we don't have to give up our addresses.

Do you think Berry would handle this for us? He could make some money and we would feel safe persuing this.
  3. Silent Member

Incorrect! This law has been implemented into every EU-country as far as I know!
  4. Athenanon Member

Actually, let me edit number three for you:
    3. Said info is stored in an EU-country, or Canada.
    Although I'm still working on a PIPEDA guide for Canada, it should work about exactly the same as the DPA.
  5. Theta Omega Member

Yep, it is an EU Directive and all the member states have implemented it; however, implementation details vary, so check with your local equivalent of the Information Commissioner. The Directive states that it must be easy for citizens to apply the implementation, so they will most likely have interwebs.
  6. unmasked Member

My suggestion to those that are willing to pursue DPA should coordinate with each other and submit them simultaneously. If it would be difficult to put together all of the information for one person within the allotted time, imagine a dozen requests coming in all at once.
  7. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

They can't handle 2 requests at the same time about people that they don't/shouldn't legally have much information on ;)
  8. taurelilomea Member

Mmm... wouldn't that just make the ICO think we're trying to make them trip up? We should probably rely on their natural ability to trip themselves, and submit requests whenever ready.
  9. Silent Member

This is true. The Data Protection laws are for our protection, let's not fuck with the people enforcing this protection.
  10. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

Just do it as and when, or if you're fairly sure you've been facefagged.

No need to make it more complicated than it needs to be.
  11. ScudMuffin Member

TBH that's probably not going to happen. Esp not if we use the "support group advice" and "we're sick of being contacted" arguements.

"ex scientologists, why haven't you used the DPA till now?"
    "well, we were scarred of reprocussions and, untill now, few people could stand up to the Co$. But now we've found we have no reason to be affraid so we're doing it."
  12. Silent Member

Can someone post about this on the old guards message boards? OG ppl are the ones most likely to be able/willing to do this.
  13. Athenanon Member

Actually.... I was going to try to do this all awhile ago, and couldn't find a chance. Now I'm quite sick, fever and stuffs (although it sounds like an excuse, its also true). I don't know when I'll be able to finish it, but it might be some time. I've somehow managed to get about half of this done, i'll try to get the rest done and posted soon.
  14. ScudMuffin Member

It's up on ESK and EXSCN. Enturb was the OGMB from what I remember, now it is also populated by Anon.
  15. Theta Omega Member

The deadline for the scilons' reply to my second request expired today without them even responding. The ICO has been notified of their failure to cooperate.
  16. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

Strike 2.

Fantastic.

You hear that OSA? The walls are closing in.
  17. newfaq2000 Member

QFT!
  18. Silent Member

[IMG]
  19. danaBanana Member

I'm fapping furiously, here!
  20. tazor Member

This is getting good!!!
  21. Shifter Member

*Best Montgomery Burns voice* Eeeexcellent.
  22. AnonnyWibble Member

Man, I love this idea. If I ever get namefagged or facefagged, you better believe that the DPA will be my first response. Is there any limit on how often you can request this info? Y'know.. in case they've accumulated any more since the last time..? Or missed anything out this time.... thus violating DPA... I mean, if they Xfagged me, then I could reasonably assume that they would update their files once a month at every demo.
  23. TICTpxagain Member

I didn't see this in the OP, sorry if it's already been mentioned.

I would also include in the SAR a request for details of any export of your personal data to another country, in particular any country outside of the EEA (yes I do mean EEA and not EU) together with copies of any relevant Model Agreement. If the cult (UK) is exporting your details to the US for example (and I suspect it probably is) they are generally required to put in place an EC standard form agreement with the overseas company in order to ensure adequate protection of your details.

There's a chance that they haven't done this, it's worth seeing what we can find out.
  24. Anon1990.572 Member

I've just read this on the ICO's website - they have new powers to impose greater fines on organisations so hopefully they'll come down hard on the Co$.

ICO FAQs
  25. AnonnyWibble Member

26. UnknownAuthor Member

I am eagerly watching the progress of this thread.

UK Anons, please continune to update us on your progress.
  27. Cinnanon Member

It might be prudent to go over to FP and ask if they'd be willing to write a statement about the scilons asking them to give over photographs. If you're making up a document set for the ICO, then showing their blatant disregard for the DPA would help your case.

Otherwise, I've been watching the thread for a while, and it's epic. Well done!
  28. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

For that matter, it might also be worthwhile getting a LegalAnon to put together info on how to get a restraining order on them for harrassment. $cilons lurking outside the door taking piccies is going to have a chilling effect on their sales...
  29. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

I don't live near London and considering the amount of anons in Leeds, I very much doubt that the local FP have been approached. If a Londanon can try and get a statement then I'd be bloody grateful...
  30. Cinnanon Member

I've found their phone number. Would you like me to call them up and see what I can do for you?
  31. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

Please :)
  32. Cinnanon Member

Right. I'll have to wait until ten so the's shop's actually open, regrettably, but then all thunderbirds are go. Anything you'd like me to pass onto them for you?
  33. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

If you can just go through a bit of background and say that Scientology is already facing complaints for breaches under the data protection act and that they're asking another company to breach the act. If possible, we'd like a written statement or for FP to contact the information commissioner.
  34. Cinnanon Member

Of course.

I'll return in ten minutes or so with news, then. Wish me luck!
  35. Cinnanon Member

Okay, the phone call was useless - I was explaining the situation and the person on the other end told me that "if it's not about stock, I'm not interested" and hung up before I could say anything else. I'll shoot off an e-mail and see if anyone's willing to talk to me about it.

Edit: got another telephone number for general contact, so I'll try that in a couple of minutes.

Edit v2: Got through, and someone's going to e-mail me about it - the guy I talked to had heard of the situation, so this looks pretty good.
  36. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

Unregistered

9:05 am
    16th June

In response to the comments above -

Forbidden Planet has never been approached to take pictures of customers by a third party.

Any such request would be refused - not only would it be bad business practice, it would also be in breach of the Data Protection Act.

The V For Vendetta mask is a very popular line which we always aim to keep in stock but, from time to time, any product we carry may sell out.

Forbidden Planet only display their own leaflets and promotional literature. Any third party promotion has to be approved before going on display. Any none-approved leaflets are removed as soon as they are discovered.

------
    that's from V Masks / Scientology in Forbidden Planet | Wirah

and it's probably the closest we're going to get to a statement from FP. They don't want anything to do with this but obviously the person making the statement didn't realise posting anonymously would not clear the issue up properly.

but seriously, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for an email from them...
  37. Cinnanon Member

I haven't had a response yet, which sucks. Ah, well. I'll give them a while, just in case.
  38. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

I've read that anonymous post and unfortunately it is by itself anonymous. Good work so far Cinnanon :)
  39. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

yeah, seriously. The post I mentioned earlier is the best we're going to get from FP head office.
  40. Re: Operation: Data Protection Shield

Well if we get it from the FP head office then at least we have closure.