Customize

Operation: Freudian Slip N' Slide (DC 2008 APA Annual Meeting)

Discussion in 'CoS Front Groups' started by captainslug, Mar 31, 2008.

1. captainslug Member

OPEN ATTENDANCE: May 3rd 2008
    Time: Noon to 3pm
    Location: Mount Vernon Square 7th Street - Convention Center - Metro Station
    Bring: Mask, Water, Lulz
    Needed participants: 6 to 50 Anons

Meet at the Metro stop whenever you can make it and you will be directed to which Convention Center entrances need your participation.
    Fliers and Business cards will be provided in bulk.
    apa_map.jpg

Plan of Action: Outside the DC Convention Center
    Will be open attendance and will primarily consist of stationing a minimum of two people (no more than ten) per convention center entrance to hand out fliers, hugs, and topical discourse. They know we will be there, as will convention security and the Metropolitan Police.

Plan of Action: Inside the DC Convention Center
    We will not be participating in any inside activities. However it is permissible to hand out business cards inside the convention center provided the people doing so go through registration using the approved process.
    You can register to attend for free as a Non-Member if you are a full time student (Medical or not).
    American Psychiatric Association Registration

WE WILL NOT BE NEEDING PICKET SIGNS OF ANY KIND.
    Only exceptions being small silly signs: "FREE HUGS!" "I HERD U LIEK MUDKIPS!" etc.
    This will not be a protest. This is about being visible and informing the public. Our visibility will also help deter Scientologists intent on disrupting the Annual Meeting. We have already ruined their element of surprise, which honestly was the only weapon at their disposal for this particular day.

History (tl;dr section)

The APA is aware of the stance and practices of Scientology and I have been made aware that they currently have many industry experts touring the country to hold lectures on the topic to inform residents and professional on the topic. The main focus of the lectures has been on how ex-Scientologists are being treated for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (and other anxiety and emotional disorders) as a result of their participation in the practices of the organization.

The APA has released official statements about the CCHR in the past and does follow-ups every few years in the appropriate journals. Response to CCHR by the APA

Thanks to your efforts in leaking the CCHR newsletter we have had enough lead time to plan an action response to their intent to attend the 2008 Annual Meeting of the APA in Washington, DC.

Here is what has been accomplished so far.
    I will have to do this as a timeline format

March 25th
    Contacted the Exhibit manager for the DC Convention Center where the APA Annual Meeting is going to be held. I was originally just calling to see what booth number the CCHR was booked under but he informed me that CCHR DOES NOT have a booth reserved under their name.

I let the Exhibit manager know that they are a Scientology front group and that they do plan to be there and may or may not have registered for a booth under a phony name. I gave the organization name and the manager said that they will look into the matter. If a group is discovered to be filing under a fake name they will get that booth reservation canceled.
    Otherwise CCHR is likely to be there handing out fliers, protesting outside, or attending various meetings. He forwarded this information to the security director for the convention center and their designated APA contact.

I also let the manager know that we plan to be there to counter protest CCHR. He wasn't sure how they would orchestrate that, but it would be most likely that we (along with the CCHR) would be allowed to do so in the same barricaded area away from the convention center. Possibly with a buffer zone between us and the CCHR setup.

The manager thanked me for notifying them.

March 28th
    Contacted the Meetings & Conventions Department Director and her secretary and they were very receptive and thankful that I made to effort to inform them about the intentions of CCHR.

They asked me to e-mail them more details, so I did so and they will get back to me regarding specifics once they can discuss it further with the department heads and the convention center. I provided a list of Scientology front groups that may have been used to book exhibit or meeting spaces. I also informed them of our intentions and track record and what we would like to accomplish by attending the Annual Meeting.

We are working on getting specific permissions outlined.

We hold off on starting a new forum section or promoting this event until we get some kind of official green light from the APA concerning our attendance (when, where, who, how).

March 31st
    Received an e-mail asking when we would be available for a conference call with the following people.

1. Medical Director and CEO of the APA
    2. Senior Executive Assistant to the Medical Director and CEO of the APA
    3. Director, Division of Education and Career Development
    4. Director, Meetings and Conventions Department
    5. Possibly some more Psychiatrists knowledgeable on the subject of Scientology as well as a transcriber

April 16th
    Phone conference with above listed individuals. Topics discussed.
    + Thanked me for notifying them.
    + Noted that they are very familiar with the affiliation and activities of CCHR and Scientology.
    + What I have been told by Anonymous sources specifically concerning CCHR's intent to disrupt the Annual Meeting.
    + I explained that the CCHR may try to have their representatives register as students with the intent to disrupt meetings, exhibits, and classes. They will be keeping a close eye on these registrations for fake IDs and scrutinizing them carefully. Especially since they don't get very many of them.
    + They explained how frequently and what days the CCHR has tried to disrupt the Annual Convention. Saturday, Sunday, and one year even Monday they showed up.
    + What Scientology has done to them in the past, and what they have done to hassle us more recently.
    + There are no permits filed for anywhere in the vicinity of the convention center. If any are filed they will let me know.
    + The convention center requires some DC Metropolitan Police to be present for security. I let them know that because of recent events the Police are very aware of the ridiculous attempts of Scientology to disrupt peaceful events.
    + Briefly explained Anonymous as a collective consensus machine.
    + I informed them of the large number of Private Investigators now in DC under the payroll of Scientology as well as their efforts to hire mentally unstable homeless men to follow us.
    + What Anonymous would like to do outside the convention center (hand out fliers and business cards).
    + They asked me to forward any further information received concerning CCHR's plans.
    + They have had in years past panel discussions on the topic of the after effects of Scientology and the lobbying efforts of the CCHR.
    + They do not have any such classes or panel discussions planned for DC this year. They tend to have them in areas that have active lobbying efforts in those states.
    + I offered to help them get in contact with notable critics of Scientology, including exScientologists should they want to organize one.
  2. SenatorXenu Member

3. D... Member

Re: Operation: Freudian Slip N' Slide (DC 2008 APA Annual Meeting)

Holy shit how did I miss this on the board D: Significant awesome.

Wouldn't that require namefagging?
  4. SenatorXenu Member

They will likely respect our anonymity, and if they don't, we have pre-namefagged anons to do it.
  5. Re: Operation: Freudian Slip N' Slide (DC 2008 APA Annual Meeting)

Is there any possibility of getting the permit for that location first so the Scilons would be the ones forced to move? I don't know exactly how these things work.
  6. SEKanon Member

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN !!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen anything about scilons targeting the other APA (American Psychological Association) but I should lurk moar cuz im tarded. Their convention is Aug 14-17 in Beantown. Should we support them too?

http://www.apa.org/convention08/
  7. SenatorXenu Member

We're already working on it
  8. captainslug Member

Here is the exhibit schedule for the CCHR for the next year. If they plan to be in your area at specific venues then you should contact the venue director and the affiliated organization this is holding the event. THEY WILL REALLY appreciate being notified about this in advance.
  9. Anonymous Member

Excellent, I'll be there for the protest.
  10. its.an0nym0us Member

VERY NICE.
    I would like to know more about the PTSD counseling specifically tailored for ExSn. This would be great for media coverage.

I hope everything goes well with the protest areas and the buffer zones.
    Mind the gap, DC anon!
  11. SEKanon Member

captainslug-

Saw that but didn't see anything about psychology (as opposed to psychiatry). Cross-reffed date/city/psyorgs and couldn't match w/ other conventions (other than pre-fagged ones). Will contact psyfriends w/ list. They might make a match.

I was just curious if scilons ignore psychology since they don't push drugs as much as psychiatry.

Oct is way off but has anyone warned the U.S. Psychiatric & Mental Health Congress ?
  12. CuntwArt Member

13. XenuLovesU Member

Anyone have more specific details about:

October San Francisco, California

Most "big" events take place at Moscone Center in SF... so I'm guessing CCHR is targeting one of them.

Will poke around a bit on my own, but if you already have specific details please PM me & post here so sfanons can cockblock them.

Only thing I've been able to dredge up so far is:

04/16/08 - 04/18/08 Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy Moscone West Convention / Tradeshow

Which isn't a match.
  14. SEKanon Member

I'll see what I can find.
  15. captainslug Member

Most of the concerned propaganda centers on psychiatry specifically. Psychology usually only gets mentioned as "and psychology" or as though studying it or getting a doctorate in it makes you somehow less reputable as a person. I do not personally know of any planned CCHR actions against psychology meetings or events.

To find specific plans for CCHR "exhibits" in your area you'll probably have to do your own detective work.
  16. eksef Member

It's been cool how people have kept up the big XENU sign there for so long but I think it's important that we keep looking for other places/websites that we can make such big impacts.
  17. captainslug Member

My personal favorite references to put on signs and fliers are
    exscientologykids.org
    and
    whyweprotest.net

But to each their own. xenu.net is more popular for signs because it's really short and easy to read/remember
  18. avatar2008 Member

Sweet!

imho, THIS seals the deal for May's Protest topic
  19. Anonymeep Member

This is a helpful list for crossreffing: http://www.conferencealerts.com/psychology.htm

I've been searching for the Dutch convention they might be attending but the only ones on the list are

22 IADIS International Conference ICT, Society and Human Beings 2008 Amsterdam Netherlands
    22 IADIS International Conference Visual Communication 2008 Amsterdam Netherlands

And somehow that doesn't seem like CoS hotbutton venues. Any ideas?
  20. beecher5772 Member

Huh... I'm wondering about the June one in Miami. According to http://www.miamiandbeaches.com/planners/conCalendar.asp, there's a huge conference (1500 attendees) being held there June 20-24, the United States Conference of Mayors (http://usmayors.org/uscm/home.asp). According to their draft agenda I downloaded:

Saturday, June 21:

2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
    STANDING COMMITTEES
    Children, Health and Human Services

I wonder if that's the one the CCHR is planning on being at.
  21. beecher5772 Member

Another one... the National School Boards Association is also holding a conference in Miami in June:

June 19-22, Four Seasons Hotel, Miami (FL)
    Buliding Partnerships for Student Success: Parent, Family and Community Involvement in Urban Schools

http://www.nsba.org/cube
  22. AnonGopher Member

The APA is right in not directly confronting teh scilons but we definitely have psyfriends. The psyfriends prolly wanna keep quiet to protect professional careers. They might still be able to help as long as we keep it anony. Let's contact em & see what happens.
  23. captainslug Member

TL;DR Version of first post: We're working on it
  24. captainslug Member

Updated first post with plan of action for outside the convention center.
  25. captainslug Member

BIG UPDATE
  26. Samuel Hughes Member

I personally know people in the psychiatric and psychology fields.

Their overall attitude toward the CoS's antics can be summed up thusly:

Don't Feed The Troll.
  27. captainslug Member

First post updated with finalized Operation specifics. This OP is primarily a flyering raid due to the restrictions of the venue and the need to not be seen as a protest.