Customize

Operation: Nightlight

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Theanonymoustipster, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Ravenmore Member

Re: Operation: Nightlight

We should try to get this done in Clearwater at least.
    Hollywood wouldn't be good, people would probably see it as a promotional stunt for a sequel to V for Vendetta...

But doing it during Earth Hour would be hilarious and totally fit with how we work, no?
  2. anonymous44 Member

i can't even imagine how much scilons would bawwww if a suit was projected on one of their buildings in LA.
  3. Mastermoose Member

Yeah legal!

It would be epic if it could be projected onto the moon x)

I wanna do this so fucken bad! :D
    Promise to film it!
  4. Silent Member

this project refuses to die.

Unfortunatly, it refuses to come alive too...
  5. John Doe NC Member

6. Mastermoose Member

7. WhiteNight Member

SOLUTION!!!!!!

The Torch Flashlight - World's Brightest Flashlight from Wicked Lasers

If you could make a frame to slot this thing into so that It projects through a lens (I mean a lens like the Batman light thingy, you know? where they have the cut out bat bolted infront of the light?). Then we'll have our spotlight, and it's portable!
    It's relatively cheap (being the cost of one and a half days of that 100 quid rent of the projector mentioned earlier), portable, loads of people can have one. And above all; Look at this!
    http://www.wickedlasers.com/images/products/torch/Wicked_Torch_03.jpg
    http://www.wickedlasers.com/images/products/torch/Wicked_Torch_04.jpg

This is easily as good as a projector. Take the stats on it's brightness and look for a cheaper option if possible.

Win?
  8. Re: Operation: Nightlight

You is trying to make projector or eggs?

9. Anon-007 Member

10. Drums of War Member

Solution: Keep more batteries ready.
  11. LilDebbie Member

in case no one posted it already:

12. lokimotion Member

Yup it has been posted, in a relatively recent thread.
  13. LilDebbie Member

yeah i wasn't gonna bother to search. it was bad enough googling up that vid in the first place.
  14. LilDebbie Member

btw, you'll want to cut that frame out of a metal, preferably steel, polished to a mirror like gloss if you don't want it melting to the glass.
  15. WhiteNight Member

Possibly we could make a DIY version, maybe hook it up to a car battery? That way we could carry it in a backpack and have it mobile. Legality is not a question if we arn't carrying anything big enough to attract attention. It would also be the cheaper option. Preferably looking at 100 watt LEDs producing around 3000 - 4000 lumens.
  16. Anonymous Member

Now it looks like it can be done more practically.
    1. Make a slide like WhiteNight's avatar.
    2. Use the battery operated "World's brightest flashlight" as light source.
    3.Use lens configuration from:
    Puppets Brazil: Resultados da pesquisa projector
    (It looks like it's only four lenses from cheap magnifying glass)
    4. Wait until dark then aim at building visible to scilons (target of opportunity).
    5. Profit?
  17. Anon-007 Member

A word to the wise:

Google the phrase "aircraft landing light" and maybe have an eBay.

That's what you are after.
  18. Ogsonofgroo Member

Yeh, necro'd thread but I still liek the idea alot. I live in boating land and several of my friends have 100,000+ candle power searchlights, these things frikken rock and are relatively cheap, 6-9volt powered and 1/2 mile ranges.
    It is concievable to attach a Batman-type GF to one, heaven forbid hitting Big Blue with one just under the new, hugely fugly, Co$ sign, nah, shouldn't do that, I never said a thing, nope, bad idea, don't do it, ya never read this here.............. ;)

:D
  19. WhiteNight Member

You just won =)

Where do we get one of these babies?

Possible win?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=227307&C=SO&U=strat15

Looking for more. I'm searching "long distance spotlight"
  20. Ogsonofgroo Member

Hardware stores, Wallymart, Canadian Tire, any decent boating supply place.
    Buddy picked his up from HomeHardware, 1million candle power, rechargable, 30$ CDN. frikken blinded me in the daytime..... O-O

:)
  21. JohnnyRUClear Member

Since nobody is going to actually do this, there's no need to warn anyone that it would be very easy and quick to see where such a light was coming from, and thus if anyone were to do such a thing (which of course nobody will), keeping the duration brief and getting away quickly from the site of the operation would be advisable.
  22. eddieVroom Member

pink_floyd_-_delicate_sound_of_thunder.jpg
  23. WhiteNight Member

Maplin Electronics ? Website- ASUS Eee PC 901 Netbook Black

I'm searching "long distance spotlight". I'm in a Engfag so I'm gonna drop by one of the hardware and DIY stores around me and check out their collection of shinnies. Don't forget that whatever you can get hold of now will probably not be powerful enough for something on the side of a building from 200-300 meters away minimum.

On aslightly different topic, what are we gonna be projecting? If we just do the suit as my learned friend thought up, then no one will really have any idea what it's about. We want a webside address imho

P.s I also happen to agree with Johnny. I don't think that (without help from his cell with the logistics and finance) anyone will be able to do this realistically. Possibly we should opt for a KISS (keep it simple stupid) approach? I'e a MASSIVE banner outside the church / in a public place.
    1. Find material, preferablylong and thin (for a URL)
    2. Buy said material
    3. Make stencils (for each letter probably)
    4. Spraypaint
    5. Gain access to tall building and preferably hang the banner from a inaccessable place
    6. ???
    7. Profit!
  24. WhiteNight Member

/necro
    Knock knock people. Quick + easy. Let's do it and get it on the BBC
  25. Anonymous Member

Y
  26. WhiteNight Member

BBC = mass prime time publicity, probably favourable (considering Panorama's documentary), and for the lulz
  27. Anonymous Member

Alternative cheaper, lighter, more portable and longer-lasting technology approach, but might require some leetness to put together.

Use a portable laser and a pair of galvo mirrors!

Once the mask outline (or whatever) is programmed, there's no onsite focussing hassles (ie: failures) etc. If the laser is bright enough, the image will be sharp - if the mirrors move fast enough - barely any flicker.

Use a laptop to drive the mirrors, and include some scaling factor into the code so you can make the image bigger or smaller as reqd on site. Better still build in skew coefficients and you don't even need to be front-on to the 'screen'.

ELM - Home Built Laser Projector

Mirror galvanometer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And as a toy someone gets left owning, your basement visiting friends are gonna find it way more awesome than a torch that runs for 15 minutes and is so power inefficient it'll fry eggs.
  28. Anonymous Member

Samefag here. All good reasons. People have been talking about this for a year or so, the thread has been resurrected more often than Ripley, it's time to do it. It's a shame nobody used it to troll Earth Hour, but I'd still like to see this one happen.
  29. PagAnon Member

I say we do the spotlight stuff.
  30. Shinythings Member

Me likes Batman
  31. PagAnon Member

32. Anonymous Member

Doesn't actually project anything - but yes much much easier.

The stencil approach would be more better - but getting the optics right will be tricky. A projection stencil is called a 'Gobo' and needs to go basically hard up against the light source - so cut out of metal normally.

And then there are two options with the lenses, either expensive because they're tough enough and accurate enough to put close to the lamp, or large, because as you move away from the light source, you're losing energy at the square of the distance, so need a much bigger set of lenses to recapture enough of it and send it in the right direction.

Find a theatre anon or with backstage mates, or a broadcast anon, they'll know someone with a focussable spot you can borrow. Add car battery and inverter (which they'll also prob have) and you're away.
  33. Ann O'Nymous Member

Don't count on mass media. Use it directly at Gold Base and / or Flag.
  34. PagAnon Member

Dont know of any anons near me but I did have a look at home depot and seems like they might have some useful stuff.
  35. PagAnon Member

this op might be better done if we had giant paper and glow in the dark paint. go to the top of a parking garage or other tall building with an easily accessible roof and use some duct tape to tape it or something
  36. Anonymous Member

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/12-active-projects/night-time-lulz-manchester-b-ritfagistan-4171/

THIS BUT MUCH BIGGER ^
  37. Anonymous Member

38. Re: Operation: Nightlight

I don't mean to be a killjoy but remember most anon cells don't have very many people anymore.

How fucking fail would it be to have so much hype and news coverage for a march with like 20 people.

You'd have to organise an epic protest if you were ever going to try this.
  39. Anonymous Member

No. This is not meant as part of an epic hueg protest, but rather as the kind of thing which is done by shadows in the night.