Customize

OWS & New Technology - V V Article

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jacky Blue Note, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Village Voice is running a lengthy but also very nice article this week. Printed onto paper it is nine pages, but a fascinating read.

It is called: Rise of the Facebook-Killers

http://www.villagevoice.com/2012-02...llers?utm_source=Newsletters&utm_medium=email

The "Killers" part is all about killing-off abominations like Facebook with far superior technology. I have found the article to be inspiring.

It does cover a number of different but related bases - On-line Privacy, Facebook, Freedom Of Information (where are the limits?) and the reason I posted this into this forum - Technologists & Engineers that are also Occupy Activists. Highly recommended reading.
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Anonymous Member

3. cafanon Member

"Mr. Zuckerburg deserves bankruptcy, lets give it to him."

Epic article Jacky. I really, really, really, really, hate Facebook. Rewind the clock back to the MySpace days you had parents wisely harping at their highschoolers "be careful what you put on the internet you never know who is watching!"

But now, these very same former highschoolers are going back to their friends who didnt catch on, (ironically) their parents, and probably even their grandparents and harping at them, wisely, "be careful what the fuck you put on the internet because you don't know where its going and how its being used!"

I hope these guys do make Facebook obsolete and save humanity from their own freaking stupidity.
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Interesting comment.

I found FB to be the worst implementation of Web. 2.0 on the Internet. There are of course, other examples of epic failure, but I give special mention to FB.

Besides all of the idiotic design flaws and failures, I found it to also be an aesthetic disaster - i.e., worse than butt-ugly.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. adhocrat Member

Great article
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Thank you. This is important stuff.

Bump for more eyes.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. great article, great comments.
  8. Anonymous Member

9. Orson Member

Excellent article. Via some OWS people I met in NYC, I have subsequently seen some beta stuff for Global Square, and if they can pull it off, it will be a social network that is unlike any other - designed for activists and protesters to collaborate effectively across a variety of issues and international boundaries.

The beta site could be up as early as next month. Watch for the announcement and check it out. I'd break down the techie stuff for you but am not qualified. Suffice to say, decentralized network, local hosting, no tracking of users or activities, etc. A portion of the network could be cut off and the rest will function around the part that was shut down (say if a government turns off the internet in a country).

If you are programmer and are interested in helping, they are looking for you. PM me and I'll put you in touch with the right people.
    • Like Like x 6
  10. Anonymous Member

11. Anonymous Member

Another bump, because it's Friday.
  12. Anonymous Member

Bumpity-bump, just to keep the process going.
  13. Rockyj Member

My new bumper sticker says "This is not Facebook and I am not your friend".
    My other one says, "I have no idea where I am going" ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Anonymous Member

another bump...
  15. Anonymous Member

I'm the first of my friends to like this page!