Customize

Parade Magazine on Epilepsy

Discussion in 'Jett Travolta' started by Consensus, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Consensus Member

Parade Magazine on Epilepsy

PARADE Magazine | I Must Save My Child

I haven't had a chance to look into this further, but the mere fact that it's Parade magazine made my alarm bells go off (I've noticed for almost 10 years now that it only speaks of Scientology in positive ways, and frequently is used by the CoS after a big flap as a means to subtly influence public discourse).

It's talking about epilepsy, is critical of surgical options, critical of some drugs (though hopeful that some may help), and so on. It's not exactly inaccurate, but it is careful never to mention autism in the article. It definitely toes exactly the right line to give the best support to the Travoltas (that some treatments are worse than no treatment, that not all drugs work, failing to relate autism and epilepsy in any way, etc).

I don't know anything about this 'CURE' group. I'd be curious if they're a legitimate epilepsy advocacy group or one of those nutbag groups that thinks childhood imunizations cause autism.

Just thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention. Feel free to harpoon. I'll look into it a little bit myself, feel free to do the same, but don't be suprised if there's nothing here.
  2. cowboyanon2 Member

Re: Parade Magazine on Epilepsy

from cure site...

----------
    https://www.cureepilepsy.org/news/siegel_tribune.asp

By Randolph Siegel
    Published in the January 13, 2009 Chicago Tribune

As a media executive and father of a child whose life has been derailed by uncontrolled seizures, I watched the Jett Travolta tragedy unfold with particular sadness. The Travolta family deserved much better from the media, especially those invasive and sensationalistic TV shows, Web sites and magazines whose feeding frenzy was nothing short of despicable. Yes, even movie stars deserve a zone of privacy when they are in mourning.
    -------------------

and

-------------
    Randolph Siegel is president and publisher of Parade Publications and a member of the board of CURE, Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy.
    ----------------

here is why there are two reactions to Jett from parents of kids with epilepsy...

on the one hand.. they want to know that when their child dies, people are not going to blame them for not doing enough and so they sympathize with Prestons..

on the other hand they are very aware of all the possible treatments and the fact that Jett only tried depakote and gave up on that and was still suffering seizures every four days is troubling...
  3. rational Member

CURE website linked the SP Times article on Jett.
  4. TinyDancer Member

David Axelrod's (of Obama fame) wife was a founder of CURE.
  5. Consensus Member

Yeah, when I looked into this I found nothing sinister. I still say keep an eye on Parade - I remember being a paperboy, in the mid 90's, and discovering their pro-scientology slant. In the time since Anonymous declared war, there's been 3 or 4 articles that seemed to be actively fighting against Anonymous influence (including but not limited to the interview with Tom Cruise).

If we can contact their editorial staff and make sure they're informed, that would be a win. Odds are good they have one or two scilons on staff high up, or at least an oprah-style scilon sympathizer. If all of that person's co-workers were aware of the evil of scientology, that person would be far more limited in the influence they could exert.

I have no idea how to go about this coup.
  6. NotMike Member

Hmmm.. perhaps identify staff & mail dox to all of their homes to ensure they get it.