Customize

Petition to get WBC legally declared a hate group and have their tax exempt status reconsidered

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Anonymous Member

2. Anonymous Member

What is a legally declared hate group in the US?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Scorpion69 Member

Way to go guys!!! You kick ass!!!!!! They are going down!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Anonymous Member

The most important part is that the basically have their freedom of speech curtailed. Also, the FBI watches them a lot.

Other little stuff that won't matter here like no federal funds or sensitive government jobs for members.
  5. muldrake Member

Generally, no such thing. There are groups, like the Southern Poverty Law Center, who do express opinions as to what groups are hate groups, and a lot of people agree with them. Some don't.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Anonymous Member

I was going with the FBI listings.
  7. Kilia Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ogsonofgroo Member

Sent to my e-mail contacts with request to pass it to at least five others for great luck in life if done within two days :)

I fucking hate chain letters, but the tactics can work for ya in a good purpose imho.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Anonymous Member

10. Anonymous Member

The petition has 177000 signatures. Impressive. I'm not sure what this will accomplish but impressive all the same. I fear that this will fall on deaf ears as that whole church and state issue that makes politicians so nervous will come in to play.
  11. grebe Member

If WBC are declared a hate group, then Anonymous might be declared a hate group also.

So I don't like.

Also I think it is a bad precedent, stripping the civil rights of some unpopular small group via petition. Civil rights should not be restricted without a careful due process protected from the influence of majority opinion (which can be manipulated by propaganda).
  12. grebe Member

Oh fuck that. Freedom of speech is the least fail thing about the United States.
  13. Anonymous Member

Really? How so?

Dox please.
  14. RightOn Member

not to be a Debbie Downer, but can someone please explain to me...
    if they are "declared a hate group" then what will that really mean or accomplish?
    I think it is a pretty well known fact that they are already hated world wide. Which is exactly what they were shooting for.
    If the WBC was declared as a hate group, would it be their version of a goldenrod SP declare that they would be proud of? Wouldn't doubt it.

I don't see how others can declare others as a hate group? legally
    Aren't the KKK, Nazi groups, the NOI considered hate groups by others? They still have the right to do what they want within the law.
    People have the right to freedom of speech no matter how offensive people may find it. And they have the right to believe in what they want unless they are breaking the law.
    According to the law and until that changes, aren't they simply exercising their freedom of speech? No matter how outrageous and horrible it is?
    The WBC must know the law backwards and forwards, and know what they are entitled to and what they can get away with or I dont' think they would have become the major money grubbing slime trolls they are.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. grebe Member

Should we empower the FBI to declare who is a member of a "hate group" or not on the basis of some petition?

Disturbing.

If you would like to see a fascist coup in the US, then convince the general population that these types of issues can be settled by petition or majority vote:

1. Which group or individual is guilty of some crime.
    2. Whether some scientific claim is true or not.

For the sake of our own freedoms, we want to empower an appropriate process of weighing evidence, not some part of the executive branch of our government.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. grebe Member

We have Federal laws against "hate crimes." So I assume that a group with a history of convictions for these crimes might appear on an FBI list. At least, I hope that's the basis for the list --actual convictions.

You have to put yourself in the shoes of the accused --in this case, the WBC-- before you figure out what due process should look like. Personally, I don't want my guilt or innocence to rest upon a petition.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Anonymous Member

The petition is meaningless. The US govt. doesn't declare hate groups.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Anonymous Member

The petition calls for WBC to get their 501 status revoked.
  19. "Beware swords that cut both ways."
    -Friendly reminder from The Internet Hate Machine
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Anonymous Member

But make you that you get your list ready of other groups that you'd also like declared.

21. Anonymous Member

Signatures needed by January 13, 2013 to reach goal of 25,000 -0-

Total signatures on this petition

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. HOC Member

Keep going! The more votes the more seriously it will be taken. :)
  23. Anonymous Member

24. Anonymous Member

Mods, can you change the thread title to include investigation of tax exempt status? More people will sign these petitions too.
    • Agree Agree x 1