Customize

Picket Sign Messages

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Atomosk, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Diogenes Member

Lets mention the Kids...

We need some signs that speak to the other evils of Scientology.

I've been reading up on this shit since I saw the first video on Reddit. There's a fair bit of stuff out there for us to seize on. like the e-meter. how repeated exposure to low level electricity affects endorphins, and can make you feel less pain, and eventually addict a person their own body-high. Their intimidation of dissenters... ect.

But I think a good ways to snag people's hearts and minds is to appeal to our (usually) innate human dignity and morality.
    Most of the signs I've seen so far have been about money and the financial cost of scientology, but people dont FEEL the loss of money in their guts the way they FEEL the loss of the loving bonds of family.

Some of us should have signs that draw attention to how scientology treats the children of its members. I've read numerous ex scientologist statements about the treatment of children within the orgs, how they only let them see their kids an hour a day, how the kids have very little supervision (one scientologist's child went blind in one eye because she was playing around hair-care products and rubbed dye in her eye, there were no adults around, too busy trying to sell books and shit)

When you talk about kids, little kids prevented from seeing their mom and dad, That shit is visceral and WILL grab attention from passers-by.

How about:

"SCIENTOLOGY SEPARATES PARENTS FROM CHILDREN"

I'm sure we can come up with better/more catchy wording for that. It would also be excellent to have separate flyers explaining a bit about how scientology forces parents to choose between their religion and caring for their children.

Or how about this, maybe a little long...

YOU MAY PAY $11,200 FOR "PURIFICATION"
    YOU MAY PAY $16,800 TO LEARN NEW ERA DIANETICS"
    YOU MAY PAY $128,560 TO BECOME "CLEAR"
    BUT HOW WILL YOU SEND
    YOUR KIDS TO COLLEGE?

or

ITS NOT ABOUT RELIGION, ITS ABOUT MORALITY
    ==SCIENTOLOGY SHATTERS FAMILIES==

The reason I put Its not about religion is that this is a common meme I get from people who dont really grok the scientology-hate. "All religions are cults" or "catholics did bad things too"

We need to get as many people on board as possible, that means speaking to religious people too who might feel an "attack" on any "church" as a kind of slight against their own religion. But they know in their guts that parents should be able to see their kids for more than 1 hour per day. That will get them interested and make them see the difference between being a christian and being a scientologist.

Now, not all scientologists have kids and the low level ones arent as separated as higher level ones, but I think this WILL grab the attention of folks in a way that saying "knowledge should be free" might not.

Thoughts?
  2. Anon can change it they see fit as long as there's no Raptor Jesus. Go according to what you think will hit the people in your area the most.

But for the sake of space, changing "Getting rid of" to "Removing" might be a good bet.
  3. uninterested passers-by silently wonders "what are body thetans?"
    if he get interested and asks, we have flyers
    many, however, do not stop and ask

how about "space cooties" ; everyone can figure out what that is
  4. Atomosk Member

No, that's not a good idea. Either thetans or alien souls. cooties is too silly.
    I recently recruited 2 new people into the protest. They drew a picture of Snow White with the message "Terrorists couldn't top Snow White!"
  5. what about...

I was thinking of making a poster with balloons tied to it, saying:

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA" ....but then again, most people still don't know who that is, which sucks.
  6. donotstalk Member

I like that idea.
    Even if most bystanders won't know, it does give our protest a solid message for the media to pick up on.

7. alien souls then
    just as widely understood as cooties, but without silliness
  8. ICanHasThetan Member

Dear god, the irony!
  9. L.the.Anon Member

Epic win! ^ =D
  10. xenuftagn Member

I really like these. I was thinking similarly...

Religious Salvation:
    Judaism..............$0
    Christianity..........$0
    Islam..................$0
    Buddhism............$0
    (etc)
    Scientology..........$365,000+

There are some whose faith money can't buy. For everyone else, there's scientology.

Or how about:

"Absolute Freedom isn't free. It costs $365,000 (or whatever number we want to use--where did the $365,000 come from,anyway?). Make checks payable to the C[or cent sign]hurch of $cientology"
  11. lermanet_com Member

12. Atomosk Member

Which reminds me, can we use copyrighted/trademarked (I don't konw the difference) characters on our signs? I don't want to be eaten by Disney because we showed Snow White.
  13. Disney is mighty litigious, and will likely smite you if you use their image w/o permission.

words are another matter, as you are citing a historical incident [Operation Snow White] but not actually hijacking their intellectual property

I would avoid "Terrorists couldn't top Snow White!" if you don't include the word "operation" in the right place just to be sure you are citing a specific historical incident
  14. Halle Lidner Member

"CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY: WHAT ARE YOUR CRIMES?"

"ASK A SCIENTOLOGIST WHAT R2-45 IS" (alternate: substitute R2-45 for "reverse processing")

"YOU CAN'T SELL ENLIGHTENMENT"

^ A couple off the top of my head.
  15. Atomosk Member

1 and 3 are win. 2 is ok.
  16. xenuftagn Member

^The first IS win.

I think that's what we need--more parody and more wordplay. We are anonymous. Memes are our lifeblood! But so far, we haven't come up with many fun slogans...

What are some catchphrases that are popular now? What about parodies of nursery rhymes or songs? It just seems like we should be able to come up with stuff that's more fun and entertaining. I know I fail it.

Best thing I have right now is "Hubbard had a little scam" and that's hardly original.

But I think those would be productive lines to think along...

A parody of that "my milkshake brings all the boys to my yard" thing from a couple years ago also sounds fruitful. Especially the "I could teach you but I'd have to charge" part. Seems fitting... :p
  17. Atomosk Member

Well, we want the memes to be universal enough that normal people could find them funny.

I'm trying to think of a Milkshake parody. if i make anything decent, i'll post it.
  18. mistegirl Member

My 2 cents

Please for the love of god don't use pictures of the people CoS has killed. It's just disrespectful to the dead honestly. The words should be enough shock value. Edit to clairfy, pictures like the one in this thread or autopsy photos. Pictures from when they were alive are not so disrespectful.

The hate argument has been raging all over the boards, but I'll throw in my vote for not using it. We don't hate Scientologists, we have the actions of the church and even using the word makes us look bad.

I like the ones about families personally. Some veterans of this have also suggested making sure you use light weight poster paper and trimming it so the signs are slightly narrow and won't catch the wind that bad.

Oh Hi Arnie! Good to see you here! Below are the ones lermanet mentioned from that thread so they're here. I hope you don't mind I'm just re-posting the ones on your site, if you'd rather I can rehost though.

The "The internet will not be 'handled'" one is brilliant I think.

helloida.jpg
    let-my-daughter-go2.jpg
    nothandled-280.jpg
    picket2.jpg
    suse-clearwater-picket.jpg
  19. AB Member

20. Atomosk Member

21. lermanet_com Member

22. Atomosk Member

Your site needs a little organizing.
  23. lermanet_com Member

feel free to do a better index of 4000 files
    I use the search engine
  24. Mine's going to say

Scientology
    Never forget the victims
    Never forgive the crimes
    http://www.xenu.net
  25. "Scientology: Your Pain, Their Gain"

Posted on the other thread, but this one's bigger.
  26. Anon414141 Member

Corporation of Scientology
    xenu.net
  27. Anon414141 Member

What about burma-shave type sequences of signs?
  28. Anon414141 Member

Scientology Attacks Free Speech
    xenu.net
  29. Anon414141 Member

What Was
    Operation Freakout?
    xenu.net
  30. Anon414141 Member

Scientology VS. Freedom of Speech
    Choose One

xenu.net
  31. Anon414141 Member

"[Scientology's critics] may be ...
    injured by any means"
    -L Ron Hubbard
    xenu.net
  32. Halle Lidner Member

33. Atomosk Member

what's burma-shave?
  34. Prozac4Tom Member

Are you Fair Game?

What did Tom say?

I(We) won't be censored!

The Internet is Fair Game!

Honk if you Love Freedom! (unless honk signs are forbidden in your area)

Knowledge is FREE!

Google is your friend!

Help families reconnect!

The Truth is Powerful!
  35. Anon414141 Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burma-Shave
    Basically a series of signs one after another along the highway making a poem promoting their product.
  36. dawnanon Member

How about...

1. GOT BODY THETANS?

DIDN'T THINK SO

http://WWW.XENU.NET

2. NO TAX EXEMPTIONS FOR CORPORATIONS

3. CHURCHES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE SACRED

4. CHARLES MANSON WENT TO JAIL FOR MURDER
    WHY NOT DAVID MISCAVIGE*?

*substitute RTC, the Church of Scientology, whatever.[/list]
  37. Atomosk Member

Ah. Well, it could be used to great effect, but we have a lot of long words to work with.
  38. For areas with high Mormon populations:

"Mormonism: 10% of your increase
    Scientology: 90% of your sanity

You decide."
  39. almost
    I think they like to be called "Latter Day Saints" instead of "Mormons"

LDS
    LDS
    LDS
    LSD?
    oops
  40. almost
    I think they like to be called "Latter Day Saints" instead of "Mormons"

LDS
    LDS
    LDS
    LSD?
    oops[/quote:30rm772q]
    That's only for the name of the church itself. They call themselves "Mormons" and the religion "Mormonism" all the time.