Customize

Pitt Calls Cruise's Nazi Film Ridiculous

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by BusterFriendly, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Da Sandmastah Member

Re: Pitt Calls Cruise's Nazi Film Ridiculous

14bl5ck.jpg
  2. Anonymous Member

[SIZE="5"]PIME TARADOX[/SIZE]
  3. Re: Pitt Calls Cruise's Nazi Film Ridiculous

TC_suxdic_BP_v1.jpg
  4. Anonymous Member

Just want to say, I think the movie was not that bad, and the director is heroic for that. To make a somehow decent movie and satisfy TC monumental ego must be a real hard feat!

And yeah, the movie would have been much better without TC.
  5. Anonymous Member

remember when 'Davey' thought that the movie was a threat against him? lol
  6. Qball Member

And the movie opens with the entire ensemble except for Cruise being killed. How convenient, TC is the only star left.
  7. Re: Pitt Calls Cruise's Nazi Film Ridiculous

*offended gasp* Spoiler warning, dude. I never saw the first one.
  8. Smurf Member

The "heroic" director, Bryan Singer, was criticized for his last 2 lackluster movies, "Valkyrie" & "Superman Returns," so much, he hasn't been offered movie jobs in the last 3 years.

He is listed as the "executive producer" on 2 TV shows.
  9. CoastalAnon Member

I Liked Singer's Superman.

Also, for those of you who think Pitt can't act, check out his role (not roll [directed at you uneducated idiots who can't bother to make sure you're using the correct homonym, spell check doesn't fix vocabulary FUBARs] that's either a verb or a type of bread/cake) in Babel.
  10. Anonymous Member

We know why!

[IMG]
  11. Anonymous Member

tommy3inch.jpg
  12. pacman77 Member

yes Tom Cruise not my favorite actor as I agree with another post that his movies are mostly about having his close up in it,directors fault as well of course.
    I seen shorts of hitler movie and is old news best left in the Archives I can watch that stuff on the history channel.
  13. Anonymous Member

That's how we role, bitch.
  14. Anonymous Member

1202982856871.jpg.gif
  15. eleven Member

Is that really Tom's nose? Bloody hell.
  16. Re: Pitt Calls Cruise's Nazi Film Ridiculous

To add insult to injury now that Cruises version of Valkyrie and subsequent release in DVD & blu-ray have passed the Military channel has a new documentary called "Operation Valkyrie" on Wednesday at 10pm.

I am sure theirs will be better than any other documentary that played to help promote Cruise's valley girl nazi portrayal.

TC_burpfire_BP_v1.gif
  17. anonymous1312 Member

THIS = TRUFAX. Tarantino explains it so well.
  18. auchraw Member

^^ especially Mr Connery.
  19. none given Member

Wow, you just tl;dr'ed his whole career. Well done.
  20. Anon-007 Member

You should know that gays need to be the focus of attention at all times - just look at AGP and AO :D
  21. genoramix Member

Vanilla sky is good, but then again, he has a mask almost for the whole movie.
  22. Anonymous Member

23. Anonymous Member

Agreed. Plus, I loved him in Burn After Reading.
  24. Anonymous Member

FTFY
  25. OHSHI Member

Valkyrie is a classic even with Cruises distant performance. Is Inglorious Bastards better? No. Its cheeky, and is like someone made a half baked guy ritchie inspired WW2 movie.
  26. Re: Pitt Calls Cruise's Nazi Film Ridiculous

I disagree greatly sir. Movies that are "classics" are movies that do something no one has ever done before. All other movies that follow that are just trying to pony up money off a replica of a classic. Inglorious Basterds (aside from being funny as hell), has not been done before. I loved it. Absolutely loved it.
  27. Anon-007 Member

Well, I think that Tom Cruise's performance as "Mini Me" in Austin Powers was his best performance to date (gotta love those prosthetics!)
  28. Anonymous Member

LOL Cruise pwned by Pitt.
  29. amaX Member

read that pitt's rep is denying that pitt slammed valkyrie.

lol yeah. good times.
  30. Zak McKracken Member

I disagree greatly, sir, though I share your sentiments. Movies, as well as other 'art' forms that are "classics", are ones that stood(1) apart from the others of their ilk enough to be remembered. Not all original works become classics. Many are forgotten, and more than a few "classics" are only notable for being the last standing survivor from a field of betters.

Inglourious Basterds was highly derivative, borrowing extensively from satire and parody as well as mining the memes of more standard war movie fare. The combination may be unique. I haven't seen it done up like this before. I suspect it has been tried, though not memorably.

It's a very funny, and (imo) a very good film. It may be a classic if its still a good film, long past its shelf life; but for now we can only speculate.

______

(1) note the tense
  31. Re: Pitt Calls Cruise's Nazi Film Ridiculous

I think OHSHI fairly well nailed it regarding Valkyrie vs. Inglourious. I resisted seeing Valkyrie for weeks, dreading how Cruise's cardboard cutout style would dissipate that thrilling story. However, Brian Singer's brilliant direction, the art direction and editing saved the day and I came away with a begrudging admiration for the crafty marginalization of Cruise's performance.
    I admired Brad Pitt's Southern cracker accent and in-your-face portrayal of Aldo Raines in Inglourious Basterds, but am hard pressed to agree with his proclamation that Valkyrie was 'ridiculous' and Basterds is the last word on WWII Nazi films. To be sure, there are several hold-your-breath suspensful scenes in Basterds and Herr Waltz's psychopathic Nazi approaches the Oscar sublime, but Tarantino's extended fandango on historical fact and his fondness for anachronistic dialogue reminded me of Mark Twain's wry confession, "I never let the truth stand in the way of a good story."
    For the sake of the movie industry, I hold the hope that history will judge both movies as worth the time and money invested in them.
  32. amaX Member

Brad Pitt's Rep: Tom Cruise Slam Didn't Happen - Inglourious Basterds, Valkyrie, Movie News, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise : People.com

Last week's widely picked-up statement attributed to Brad Pitt, unfavorably comparing his WII movie Inglourious Basterds to Tom Cruise's star vehicle Valkyrie, was not only "inaccurate," Pitt's manager tells PEOPLE, but "Brad has never even seen Valkyrie."

The uncharacteristically harsh remark was originally published in a wide-circulation weekly German magazine, and, as could be expected, was reprinted internationally. Problem was, it was never uttered.

As for the two movies, both of which feature attempts on the life of German dictator Adolf Hitler, Cruise's Valkyrie, after a troubled production history, was released late last year, to indifferent reviews and box office.

Director Quentin Tarantino, after premiering Inglorious Basterds to wildly mixed reviews at this May's Cannes Film Festival, went back into the cutting room with it and opened the movie to the American public on Friday. While reviews still ran the gamut from four stars to fewer, most critics still singled out Pitt's no-nonsense anti-Nazi Tennessean.

More telling, reports Variety, ticket sales totaled $37.6 million, an all-time high for a Tarantino movie.

• With reporting by MARY GREEN
  33. Zak McKracken Member

For me, it wasn't the anachronism so much as that- it was transparently inappropriate in context, unjustifiable and clearly intentional.

Twain gets 1 internets points for honesty.
    Tarantino gets 1/2 a point for a good, honest troll.
  34. Anonymous Member

Should've been called "Vanilla Guy"

explains that movie & cruises acting overall!
  35. Re: Pitt Calls Cruise's Nazi Film Ridiculous

Sounds like a certain manager doesn't want his client sued, lied to, tricked or utterly destroyed.
    Lol, those suppressive Germans at it again.
    But, the bottom line never lies. Pitt still pwns Cruise, where it counts the most.
  36. Davey's Cat Member

UK Paper The Guardian's site has a Basterds v Valkyrie match-up (current on the front page of the site). Valkyrie v Inglourious Basterds: Who wins the battle of the war movies? | Stuart Heritage | Film | guardian.co.uk

Check out this, from the text:

----------------
    1. Cast

So Valkyrie stars Cruise and Inglourious Basterds stars Pitt. Clearly, although both Cruise and Pitt are famous to a ridiculous degree, only one of them believes that humanity was created when an alien blew up a volcano with a nuclear bomb.

-----------------

Our man Xenu gets about these days...
  37. ArnieLerma Member

regarding Tom "jump" Cruise and Valkyre...

Firstly Thank you to Mr Brad Pitt for calling a spade a spade.

"It's Bound To Be Rubbish'
    "Tom Cruise is planning to make a film about the 1944 bomb plot against Hitler, playing leading conspirator Claus von Stauffenberg. Stauffenberg's son is not impressed, and has told Cruise to "keep his hands off my father."
    Spiegel Online International, 22 June, 2007

In response to Scientologist Tom cruise playing Claus Von Stauffenberg:
    "Thomas Gandow, 60, chief spokesman on religious cults for the German Protestant Church, described Scientology as a "totalitarian organisation" and said that Mr Cruise had become "the Goebbels of Scientology".

January 2009: BBC reporter John Sweeney said: "The problem about this film is something no one's talking about. It's this: Should it trouble people that Tom Cruise, who plays Germany's great anti-totalitarian hero, is himself the number one parishioner - star - of an organisation which German critics say is itself a totalitarian cult?."

More here:
    "Valkyrie" and Scientology
    and here:

Stern Magazine interview regarding Valkyre: Mr. Lerma, a German historian (note1) compared Tom Cruise, who said in a video "Should we clean this place up?", to Joseph Goebbels. Goebbels asked the Germans:" Do you want total war?".

Is the historian right - or is he exaggerating?

Cruise250_250.jpg * Note Lermanet.com paid for the rights to web this image, which was used in the Stern print article and webpage.

The parallels to a minister of propaganda aren't far fetched. The concept of a total war is deeply rooted in the mindset of every convinced scientologist. "Clean this place up" means "clear the planet" - which means to cleanse Earth of all enemies of Scientology. Cruise mediates an ideology of hate. He also does it whenever he speaks about "suppressive persons", who are enemies of Scientology, so called "suppresives". There is a Scientology textbook named "Shattering Suppression". On the cover you can see a face being shattered.

sp-mask.jpg

That is scientology's (c) metaphoric face of anyone who dares interfere in any way with the continued extraction of money from rubes.

Article continues here:

Tom Cruise - Goebbels of Scientology

January 21, 2008

Note1: "Respected German historian Guido Knopp has compared a speech by US actor Tom Cruise to the Church of Scientology with a call to war by Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels.

Knopp, an expert on World War II history, said in an interview with Bild newspaper: "Tom Cruise's manner calls to mind Goebbels."

Justice Latey said that the tactics used by Hubbard and his helpers are "grimly reminiscent of the ranting and bullying of "Hitler and his henchmen." Link to source article

------------
  38. PagAnon Member

That's also why Tommy Davis is the spokesperson and DM is the leader of the Co$
  39. JohnnyRUClear Member

Arnie just swooped in and Godwinned this thread. :-D

Wait, the thread's about a Hitler movie though... does that still count or...??
  40. doz3r Member

= Bryan Brown ... Aussie legend.