Customize

Please "contribute" to Kirstie Alley's Aquathon

Discussion in 'Kirstie Alley' started by 4theGreatestNumber, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Re: Please "contribute" to Kirstie Alley's Aquathon

ooo, quite the delicious pun!
  2. xenubarb Member

Re: Please "contribute" to Kirstie Alley's Aquathon

It's a fucking stupid idea. Now stfu and go turn the wheel before we beat you and feed your corn pone to the goats. Don't whine at me because you have parasites lodged under the skin of your feet, just get to work. Don't whine because you've just brought back a pile of wood and you're tired. Quit whimpering and just do it!
  3. Re: Please "contribute" to Kirstie Alley's Aquathon

I've added a comment to Xenubarbs on "Rant" too.

It is a horrible idea - especially for a country that already forcibly enlists children as soldiers in the army, and has a terrible history of child labor violations.

You don't make systems for vital public services (like water delivery) that are dependent on the labor of children.
  4. OSA Member

Well.

For $50 / week you could have ME follow you.
    And pass out flyers detailing your crimes.
    And glamour pix.

Deal?
  5. Anonymous Member

No, it's a pretty ingenious idea. The kids play on the wheel and large amounts of well water is produced. Your ideas of how African families treat their children are offensive, and your arguments against this project are weak. I was born and raised in Africa, beleive me, they love and care for their kids just like we do, and I know that the children would love to play on these wheels, just like kids in playgrounds all over the world play on wheels.

You are letting your hatred of sci cloud your judgment.
  6. xenubarb Member

You are letting your ignorance cloud yours.
  7. xenubarb Member

Oh, I would but, I already get that service for free!
  8. stuwyatt Member

So the tally was at $7,700.....

From Steve Woods twitter feed:

And from: Find a PlayPump to Sponsor :: KnowH2O

Congratulations Kirsty! You pulled it in! Just another $2,500, and you will have enough for one playpump!
  9. Re: Please "contribute" to Kirstie Alley's Aquathon

That doesn't even make sense. My ignorance of what exactly.
  10. OHSHI Member

I beg you to reconsider.
  11. Ogsonofgroo Member

The thought had occured to me too, which is why one of my older comments ITT mentions that there are far cheaper pumps available (as per a quote from someone's blog mentioning this) that are just (if not more) efficient.
    Really the only practicle place for these rather expensive units would be in a playground at a school where it will be used all the time. If adults have to use this to pump then yer talking a lot of wasted energy spinning them around, nice in African heat I'm sure.
    For the prices they talk about for these, in realistic terms, one of the best solutions would be a solar-powered mini-pump that runs all the time during daylight (filling the water tank/s) and then provides power to lights (whatever) on a 12v grid or some such. The money saved could be spent in the schools for books, and on the kids for bicycles and toys etc.
    Given the sporadic nature of kid's attention spans anywhere in the world, this novel idea is sort of, um, um, um........... a bit liek well intentioned....

Me wee blurb fer the afternoon.

Cheers!

Lolol, if we came up with a way to harness all that butt movement ya could power a small town for a month r' two XP

:D
  12. OHSHI Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-3-OeROeqY"]YouTube - Jackal Tape 12. Lion's Share[/ame]

I'll just leave this here.
  13. Suzette Member

I think the big advantage of the playpump is that it comes with its own little water tower. If there's water in its tank, the kids don't have to be there and the gravity feed lets people who aren't up to pumping for twenty minutes take as much water as they want.

I don't know if they've run into problems with the tank water running out, but my feeling is that as long as there are kids around, they'd be willing to turn the roundabout a few times, and if anything, the kids would spin it first thing every recess period just to make sure there's water in the tank. Merry-go-rounds were one of my favorite toys as a kid, and the kids know that they're pumping, so they might be willing to give it a few minutes a day.
  14. Re: Please "contribute" to Kirstie Alley's Aquathon

A 'solar powered mini pump' would not do the trick I'm afraid. Equipment in Africa needs to be uncomplicated and rugged, as maintenance free as possible. Engineering skills are rare in rural areas. Africans do quite well in the heat, they are used to it. The pump only needs to be operated when water is being collected, and will be inactive otherwise.

What works in developed countries often fails in Africa. This project has been carefully considered and designed by experts in the field, who have actually been to Africa.

African children in rural communities have no playgrounds, trust me, they are not going to get bored with something like this. Not in a thousand years.

The idea is sound, the charity is sound. We would not be critisizing it at all if a scifag had not gotten involved.
  15. Anonymous Member

Except kids in Sierra Leone, amirite?

Kinda hard to get excited about pushing the wheel when their hands and arms have been chopped off, isn't it?
  16. Re: Please "contribute" to Kirstie Alley's Aquathon

lol, yes I suppose so.

More importantly, how will they brush the flies off their faces?
  17. Re: Please "contribute" to Kirstie Alley's Aquathon

Now who is insulting the African people?

Kids are kids - all over the world. I don't care how poor a country is - any child of normal intelligence is going to get bored pushing a heavy metal wheel around, in the hot sun, day after day.
    '
    Are you implying that African children are some how more easily amused than other children?

Oh - and this project was not "carefully considered and designed by experts in the field" - it was one guy...with no expertise whatsoever in child psychology or child labor.

This is not a bad idea because a Scilon is involved in it - it's a bad idea because it's exploitative of children, and encourages child labor in a country that already has severe child labor problems. Don't take my word for it - ask the ILO...they really are experts in the field.
  18. Anonymous Member

QFT ^^ <not the ILO, but an expert in the field>
  19. Re: Please "contribute" to Kirstie Alley's Aquathon

C'mon, really? You see a playground toy and you think of child labour? What the hell does child psychology have to do with this? I used to play on one of these (sans pump) when I was a kid, and I fucking loved it, as did all of my kiddy friends.

You guys are really blowing this thing waaay out of proportion. You are making the assumption that the evil Africans will have their starving armless, parasite crawling offspring chained to the fucking thing for 19 hours a day.

And yes, as it happens, I am saying African children are more easily amused than western children, but that's a compliment! They are grateful for any kind of amusement, they really appreciate things that they get, whereas western kids are showered with possessions and couldn't give a shit.

And if this entire project was designed and implemented by one man alone, I would be very surprised, but he must be a hell of a guy, good on him.
  20. Anonymous Member

I simply said the children of Sierra Leone who've had their arms chopped off by bandits to prevent them from mining diamonds might not be in the mood to push hot metal with their teeth in the blistering sun.
  21. Ogsonofgroo Member

You make a number of assumtions that border on racist imho.
    Assumption> Solar is complicated. Not. Quite simple and basic, even wee Davey with his gr.8 education could figure it out (as could my kid with gr. 5)
    Assumption> Solar is high maintanence. Wrong, once properly installed it'd run for a long time without worries imho.
    Assumption> People over there are not bright enough to learn it and figure it out.
    No comment.
    Assumption> This idea is being poo-pooed because Kirstie Scilon got involved. Good frikken grief mon!

Thought. As far as this project goes, anyone done a number crunch to see how much dizziness it takes to fill their (silly-small) holding tanks? How many hours? Is a starving bunch of kids going to spend precious energy running around on a pump for (?) hours ? Etc. etc.

Cute project may have its places, and yes kids liek ta play too, but I think maybe stars gots in your eyes a bit. (nao) 14k (7-10k according to their own web site), could do a fuck of a lot more good in an impovershed region with a simple 1000$ water pump, doing other things, liek getting some irrigation going, gardens, mico-loan systems, blah blah........oi.

and why not some teeter-totters that adults could use too? (nao that'd be fun, I loves teeter-totters.
    I tried to find out some info on the specs involved as per GMP vs. ERGs, none I could find.
    There are, I believe, more practicle ways of doing this, and far more cost effective.

My opinions.

:)
  22. Re: Please &quot;contribute&quot; to Kirstie Alley's Aquathon

29bf658d-ed2e-482d-bb8b-d5fa3ef3c5f.jpg
    large_playpumps.jpg
  23. Re: Please "contribute" to Kirstie Alley's Aquathon

Well I'm sure any and all ideas would be welcome. If you can design a solar powered system that does the trick then you should. The stats are on the playpumps site, if I remember correctly it was 19rev/min for 1 hour = 1500 litres of water.

Here's a link to a UK company that has more info on the pumps, it seems that the idea is really popular around the world Install a Roundabout PlayPump in your Attraction

Perhaps we should campaign to get these evil child abusing bastards shut down?
  24. OHSHI Member

What is the purpose of the device? Water, right?

Would you rather they get dehydrated, or incorporate play-time in with their water gathering?

The area doesn't have the benefit of major industry other than raw materials and war.

Are you going to quit your job, go down there and "solve" the problem? Would you even be successful?

The only way you can be successful with these issues is to be honest with yourself, less emotions... think... don't be so reactionary.

And yes, those children will be interested in that wheel more than American kids would. It's not because of Bell Curve research with Africans scoring lower than the rest of the world, it's because American kids by and large have internet, television with commercials, and video games. The African kids by and large don't.

If you want to help Africa, you focus on stability with who gets and keeps industry. It all follows the money.

Why do you think the financials are leading against the other sectors in today's new bull economy?

That's the end of today's lesson.
  25. Re: Please "contribute" to Kirstie Alley's Aquathon

Here's a decent vid on the subject.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQu_Jppvzyk&feature=channel"]YouTube - National Geographic Feature on PlayPump Water Systems[/ame]
  26. NCSP Member

Re: Please &quot;contribute&quot; to Kirstie Alley's Aquathon

I'm with Team PlayPump on this one, but I couldn't help thinking of this:

whem.jpg

wheelofpain.jpg
  27. OHSHI Member

But to the person I pissed off, if OTHER people were profiting from these kids "playing" then it would be unjust.

But this is for them to drink. So no need to bring your connotation of child labor into this.
  28. OHSHI Member

Re: Please &quot;contribute&quot; to Kirstie Alley's Aquathon

Did the snake people profit? Or did just Conan and his tribe?

It's an unfair comparison there are no rulers taking the water from these people yet.
  29. anyjane Member

That PlayPump thing looks pretty neat.
  30. fitch2000 Member

Not to worry the scilons are coming.

I know they take your mind (sometimes), your money (if you have it, if not, allll your time), your freedoms (to doubt!! if you want to, to talk to your wife/husband about any damn thing you want without worrying about them writing up a knowledge report on you!!, etc), but would they take the water?? No, that would just be bad.
  31. stuwyatt Member

From Kirsties twitter feed:

Anonymous G? I remember her saying this name during the Aquathon.... Interesting choice of name....
  32. Anonymous Member

Anonymous helps and makes African children grow up to be the next gov. of Cali Forn Ya.
  33. xenubarb Member

I'm sorry, but what the hell are you talking about? Recess? These are villages without schools! Kids work all day long to help contribute to community survival!

See, this is the trap people are falling into; thinking little African kids in villages out in the middle of nowhere go to school and have medical care. The place is a frigging pit of fail! These are remote places they're talking about.

Why not just dig a fucking well?
  34. Anonymous Member

lmao "recess"

they don't have water, but they do have four-square, amirite?
  35. fitch2000 Member

I used to love playing four square!!
  36. Anonymous Member

Lol, ITT, whitemansburdensyndrome= "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle) – this is working very well for them." –Former First Lady Barbara Bush, on the hurricane evacuees at the Astrodome in Houston, Sept. 5, 2005 "Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?" –House Majority Leader Tom Delay (R-TX), to three young hurricane evacuees from New Orleans at the Astrodome in Houston, Sept. 9, 2005" "You simply get chills every time you see these poor individuals...many of these people, almost all of them that we see are so poor and they are so black, and this is going to raise lots of questions for people who are watching this story unfold." –CNN's Wolf Blitzer
  37. Anonymous Member

I believe you're viewing this with a more closed mind than you think the rest ITT have. No one is insinuating that all African children are poor.

However, it's unlikely that water playpumps are installed in affluent areas of the continent.
  38. Anonymous Member

No. And stop making demands.

That's a racist assumption, implying Africans with missing arms don't have a work ethic.
  39. Anonymous Member

LOL - no, it's not racist as I never indicated which race(s) have missing arms.

Lrn2DiamondMineInSL
  40. Smurf Member

OK. Back to Kirstie Alley, no she's moaning that comic Chelsea Handler is "dissing" her:

@kirstiealley chelsea handler lately, just dissed you maybe she's jealous, Chelsea Lately - Comedy Blog | E! Online - about 7 hours ago from web in reply to kirstiealley

edward dawsey (MrDawsey) on Twitter
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Record-Breaking Dessert by Chelsea Handler

Apparently the world’s largest cupcake record has just been set and documented into the Guinness Book of World Records. The cupcake weighed 151 pounds. I don’t want to say the name of the person who made it, in order to protect them from being attacked by Kirstie Alley.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kirstie responded:

@MrDawsey Chelsea Handler disses me on a regular basis...lol...not to worry. Some people make a career of degrading others..better to ignore.

@MrDawsey Thanks! Can really use that today.sometimes the dogs just leap on you and try to take you down, you know? Well, I'M STILL STANDIN.

about 7 hours ago from web in reply to MrDawsey

Kirstie Alley (kirstiealley) on Twitter