Customize

Poll: Use the Op-ed letter as a press release?

Discussion in 'Jett Travolta' started by dontmakemeangry, Jan 7, 2009.

?

Should the press release be sent out?

YES 54 vote(s) 43.9%
NO 69 vote(s) 56.1%
  1. POLL - Do you approve of this press release

EDIT: After 21 hours and 119 votes the poll results are:
    Yes - 44.54%
    No - 55.46%

While there have been very strong opinions on both sides, there is not enough support to justify sending it out as a press release.

Instead, please use the info from the draft press release to assist in the crafting of your own personal messages to any media that you can contact. No single anon can speak for all of us, but you can certainly speak for yourself, especially when you have dox and evidence to back up your message.

If you believe a media outlet has missed key details, go to their website and click on "contact us" (or similar) and send them some info.

And don't restrict yourself just to email, you can use something like skype to cheaply call up radio stations, newsdesks etc.

Particularly push the audio of L. Ron Hubbard talking about taking people off anti-seizure medication:

Lafayette Ronald Hubbard. Taped lecture C7204C07 SO: Expanded Dianetics Lecture No.2 Expanded Dianetics and Word Clearing. 1972. Available online at: Scientology: Hubbard on EPILEPSY on Vimeo
    also
    YouTube - Scientology: Hubbard on EPILEPSY

Sample letter derived from the draft text
    (remove the red text from the reference URLs, spaces get added there by the forum, breaking the links):

Dear .....

Despite claims that have been made to the contrary, Scientology opposes the use of any psychiatric medications, including the Depakote that Jett used to control his seizures.

I extend my condolences to Scientologists John Travolta and Kelly Preston after the untimely death of their son, Jett. It is my sincerest hope that they did everything they could for the well-being of their son.

In doing so, however, they would be acting against the Dianetics practices of the Church of Scientology [2], which states that any mind-altering drugs "maim and destroy people [3]," and are thus strictly forbidden for use by any Scientologist. Depakote in particular is described as a harmful drug by the "Citizens Commission on Human Rights," a Scientology front group that opposes Psychiatry. [4]

Epilepsy is characterized by recurrent unprovoked seizures, such as those reportedly experienced by Jett Travolta. Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard alleged in a 1972 lecture that epilepsy can be cured through a Scientology ritual called auditing, and that they will need to stop taking any epileptic drugs before going through the process. Hubbard referred to epilepsy related terms as "gobbledygook". This audio recording is available online at http://www.vimeo.com/2727682 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMom3y1zyZU. [5]

John Travolta and his brother Joey Travolta reportedly clashed over Jett's diagnosis. According to UK newspaper, The Mirror, Joey believed "it was so obvious Jett was autistic just from spending five minutes with him, but the cruel fact of their religion meant his parents simply did not accept it." [6] People magazine reported that Travolta family friend and actress Anne Archer said "I observed that he was significantly mentally handicapped. ... John always communicated to him as if Jett could completely understand him. ... It was a kind of sweet exchange, where he was just happy with anything that Jett offered. Anything." [7] Additionally, video of Jett taken in France in 2007 showed Jett exhibiting autistic symptoms. [8] Autism is not accepted within Scientology, which classes people with neuropsychiatric disorders as "degraded beings". [1]

The Travoltas have stated that they put Jett through the "Purification Rundown", a controversial Scientology program that involves administering dangerous doses of niacin, which has been found to cause liver damage. [9] The Purification Rundown is the same program that is used in Narconon and Second Chance, other Scientology front groups. Recently a Second Chance center in Albuquerque, NM was shut down because it was housing inmates charged with violent crimes, in violation of its lease. [10]

The circumstances of Jett Travolta's tragic death should only be discussed with the utmost respect for the family and for the facts, unlike the manner in which the CCHR and celebrity Scientologists have treated the grief-stricken in the past. [11][12]

References:
    [1] http://www.hollywoodinterrupted.com/archives/a_plea_from_hollywood_john_travolta_open_your_hearREMOVE-RED-TEXTt.phtml
    [2] http://www.xs4all.nl/~jeta/scn/scans/Introspection-Release.html
    [3] http://web.archive.org/web/20080119062934/faq.scientology.org/ref_4.htm
    [4] http://web.archive.org/web/20051222024858/http://psychdrugs.freedommag.org/page14.htm
    [5] Lafayette Ronald Hubbard. Taped lecture C7204C07 SO: Expanded Dianetics Lecture No.2 Expanded Dianetics and Word Clearing. 1972. Available online at: http://www.vimeo.com/2727682
    [6] http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/01/03/riddle-of-john-travolta-s-son-could-he-have-been-saved-115875-21013277/
    [7] http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28539943/
    [8] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iz7dopJrtE
    [9] http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/detox.htm
    [10] http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/politics/politics_krqe_albuquerque_city_pulls_plug_on_seconREMOVE-RED-TEXTd_chance_200812262319
    [11] http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/homepage/8998981804543180796
    [12] http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/article.html?in_article_id=39173&in_page_id=7

Original OP:
  2. themadhair Member

3. TheBitch Member

Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

Enough. you made your point sufficiently in the other thread, as did I. Both POV's are summarized above and the question called. How bout a nice cup of STFU ? Stop endlessly delaying by discussion when people are calling for choices not moar data.
  4. ARC Member

[strike]Depakote claim is missing a reference: The Rick Ross-archived article doesn't mention Depakote specifically. Needs to point to Freedom magazine article about it.[/strike] fixed

As it is now, the press release doesn't add anything which the press hasn't already covered. Press releases should only be done when talking about something Anonymous is doing, or when pointing out crucial stories which aren't being covered enough already.

The only thing I'm missing seeing more of is references to these articles, as a direct response to Priscilla Presley:
    John Travolta: Scientology Could Have Saved Anna Nicole - Idol Chatter
    Drivers angered at signs - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News

That might be done better in an op-ed article indexed in google and yahoo news rather than a press release.
  5. none given Member

The press: our personal army.
  6. reznik Member

voted No.

No offence to those the contributed to writing it.

It is good. But i don't know what (in my opinion) would be good enough to warrant sending tbh.
    That and i always agree with themadhair
  7. TheBitch Member

the_purple_finger.jpg

Ain't it great to watch! heh.
  8. Skeptic1337 Member

I voted no because I'm not sure what the announcement is.

I say you put up all that stuff in a nice website then send a press release announcing the launch of said website.

Just my opinion.

edit: not critiquing the contents just the concept and execution.
  9. havoc anon Member

No it is not great to watch, it is great to act! I voted yes but it needs refining this looks like we are trying to use there moment of grief for our benefit! Somebody plz rewrite it! make it more sympathetic and nice ,not so formal... that is all i have to say
  10. Skeptic1337 Member

vs

kk
  11. WTF Member

Who teh fuck is this "we" that you speak of?
  12. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

good find, now fixed (edited post).

I can totally understand if this question divides anon, because I myself felt like shouting NO PRESS RELEASE at first. And I would be more comfortable if anon was never mentioned in this controversy, which obviously has nothing to do with us.
    Eventually I started thinking a press release would be good, to counter the efforts of CoS PR like Tommy Davis' comments. We are just providing factual info backed up with references.

The text can of course be copypasta'd and used for any harpoons
  13. havoc anon Member

we in the sense of those who are for (also idk i use we alot....im trying to stop but its like coke)
  14. reznik Member

I agree.

And i will add, for consideration of voters, that each time a press release gets sent the content of which is (mostly) redundant - little babies die, and by that i mean THE BIG LIST gets smaller. IIRC THE BIG LIST has reduce is size by a significant amount.

I think the way forward is doing thing in the way skeptic mentioned, make site (domains are the new OPs) with facts and possibly resources for action by visitors (whatever the site is aimed towards) - the push it on THE BIG LIST.
  15. themadhair Member

^ you sure skepttic1337 wasn't just taking the piss out of stillalive?
  16. havoc anon Member

...wasted post is wasted
  17. reznik Member

maybe he was

dont know. i had mentioned the un404able raidpack OP in some tl;dr 'what should we be doing' thread in the dome a while back.
  18. Skeptic1337 Member

No, I like the stillalive website. I think the purpose of a press release is for those who read it to be able to report on it.

I'm not sure what they can report on with this one. It's basically a press release saying READ OUR POSTS WE DISAGREE which is cool but they need something quotable.

My argument is not on the contents but the purpose and how you actually create media impact.

Disclaimer: I am not "trolling" here just expressing my opinion on this thread about should it be sent.
  19. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

I think that is a very valid point.

Has any media actually reported on the Hubbard audio talking about epilepsy? Maybe that "leak" could be an event that is reportable.
  20. TheBitch Member

Skeptic: Can't blv but ok I can agree with that, however I still am of the firm conviction that it's time we took a firm position of what the established fact pattern / statements FROM THEM are and have been / evolved from. Right nao they're controlling the entire dialog - see the forum for the latest ABC blow job about how Travolta is a good, decent man, who commutes daily by plane to Clearwater from his home in Ocala.. etc. etc.

If the purpose of the release is off target then ok, but I still think we've remained too silent in this. We're not "ghouls" and to be continually mischaracterized when in reality what's going on is an active spin campaign is silly to allow when we finally have the public's attention and a chance to sustain it.
  21. Ann O'Nymous Member

Yes, but the following changes should be considered.
    - Mention Kelly Preston too in the second paragraph (and third).
    - The mention of epilepsy should be explained. so far, this word was almost never used in connection with Jett.
    - "Additionally, video of Jett taken by French photographers..." could be replaced with "Additionally, video of Jett taken in France...".
    - Perhaps mention that Purif is allegedly for spiritual purpose only (Davis ?).
    - Perhaps mention Anne Archer "mentally handicapped".
  22. ARC Member

Thanks for that. A word on caution that links going to Scientology sites might be altered by Scientology after the release goes out, so perhaps provide the archive.org versions of those URLs?

May I also propose this:

too harsh?
  23. AnonJTG Member

IMHO:

Leak the info, let the journalists piece it together themselves, when they approach an editor with a story relating to this, it's not 'something from the internets', but rather the cult of scientology behind the death of JT's son.

The next move in the regard would be to summarize all this info (without it being clear of Anonymous involement), into a PR release of sorts for email to any media contacts. Something they can easily follow, get the jist of quickly, with all the detailed information/links at the end for research.
  24. ARC Member

Good idea, except this part:
    Our forums are totally open and searchable, and what is Anonymous if not nameless and unknown?

Maybe a new info-pack PDF is in order?
  25. anonequences Member

awww, I like both those gais
    can't we just let ThemadBitchhair decide?

In the end I vote yes because why wring our hands about it when the the press can ignore it anyway, and spending time talking about the importance of a press release (which they can ignore anyway) only increases the chance they will ignore it because the of their short attention span.
  26. AnonJTG Member

Anonymous is something that your average tabloid newspaper editor doesn't want to cover, doesn't care about. Them kids on the internets causing trouble again! Sure, it's a big larf for photographers at an event, but apart from that it just doesn't sell copies.

Possible proof that a religion to the stars is behind the death of John Travolta's son? They'll imagine the sales before anything else.

On the pdf-info pack, hells yeah.
  27. AnonLover Member

voted yes - but i do not think we should send it the exact same day of the funeral services (thursday?) else we could easily be mocked for it.

cuz of the direct call out to JT in it, we should let the man bury his son before we step up to have our say. wait till first thing friday morning then gogogo
  28. ARC Member

Thursday is funeral. Friday afternoon is typical release-time for news that companies don't want covered. Maybe wait until Saturday evening, to make the Monday papers? That is, if you're going to send it out.
  29. AnonJTG Member

Exactly a week before the protests, perfect.

In which case, why not mention that Anonymous will be protesting against the CoS in seven days time, that is, if the PR is released.
  30. DiaSciRev Member

They are bashing us for discussing it. Everywhere I've turned, there's been "critics have been scheming" or "Anonymous has bashed Travolta", etc., etc. Send the press release and show what we really think - and know.
  31. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

^ This. (My emphasis.)

^ And this.

I voted yes.
  32. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

I've updated the text with people's suggestions, if I missed anything please post again
  33. Your Mom Member

I don't think we need a press release, myself.

I've been validating linkbacks to different blogs, messageboards, and news sites all day, the vast majority of them very much following the same lines of thought expressed here on the board.

Odd little aside here...my son and daughter-in-law were following links and discovered THIS place only last night. They had no idea of its existence until they came across one of these links back to WWP.

I think a press release about the same issue is overkill.
  34. ARC Member

What do you think about adding those two links I suggested, where John Travolta and CCHR had used recent deaths to promote Scientology statements?
  35. mrfyde Member

I think no the press already knows about epilepsy and Jett Travolta. But they know they are going to get called out if they try to run with it with out a source.

See what happens with the gawker story first. It has been a week give it a couple of days. See where they want to go with this.

-------
    In a couple of days we can bring up the CCHR free and clear they have been caught with their pants down by gawker but after the funeral would be the better time for talking about CCHR and their picketing of dead children. We can't do both though.
  36. eddieVroom Member

I agree. Furthermore, many "journalists" seem to be in the habit of just reading press releases verbatim nowadays. IMO, if we make it easy for them, the issues will get wider coverage.

This press release, with easy-to-factcheck links, is a good thing.
  37. eddieVroom Member

...and I'll reiterate my previosly stated opinion: News stories have a short shelf life. We need to release this nao.
  38. ARC Member

I want to have the part about John Travolta and CCHR stirring up things after deaths to show that what they did was worse than what we're doing with this press release. [Imagine me as a kid who is demanding candy here.]
  39. Your Mom Member

Only if you stomp your foot and pout.