Customize

Poll: Use the Op-ed letter as a press release?

Discussion in 'Jett Travolta' started by dontmakemeangry, Jan 7, 2009.

?

Should the press release be sent out?

YES 54 vote(s) 43.9%
NO 69 vote(s) 56.1%
  1. DarthXenu Member

Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

For me it is like this:

Anon: Scientology denies epilepsy and condemns the use of Psychiatric drugs.
    $cientology: Liar liar pants on fire!

And I think we should say now

Anon: here's the dox.

Thats why I voted yes.
  2. ARC Member

jrch9s.png
  3. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

I've added it in, but changed it to 'celebrity Scientologists' to avoid making it too personal, is that alright?
  4. ARC Member

Good. You're better suited for this than I am.

When counting up you can subtract my previous "NO" vote.
  5. CLOCKSHIT Member

I say yes send it but don't include condolences to the Travolta.....why? Because the man donated $1 million to Co$ to fight Anonymous. I would prefer the text stick to confronting the CULT rather then the treatment or no treatment received by Jett.

Many news anchor may get the facts but remember the CULT lies and lies extremely well!
    Anderson Cooper seems to think Tommy Davis is just great and has dispelled all the rumors!
  6. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

Not necessary. If we truly wished to publish our findings, we would attack news sources directly, not wait for them to stumble upon us. Which is an idea.

The only reason we might need a press release is to make it as blatant as possible that we as well grieve over the loss of a young life, yet we have done our best to make that very apparent within this forum. Any media who might view our discussions would also see us obviously lamenting his loss, and not just using it as leverage.
  7. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

Travolta donated $1 million in 2007. Impact 116 magazine:

2811199724_9efb977273_o.jpg
  8. Snake Member

The press release would have been good a day or two ago. These things never have to be perfect. I think we lost a great opportunity because of people debating back and forth and doing numerous drafts.
  9. Anon3Mouse Member

Voted no.

If this was going out on the day the cause of death came out to be a seizure, I probably would have voted yes, but now at this point we're not adding anything new to the conversation, the old media has been running with it already and they aren't going to give any kind of report beyond the softball ones that might raise a few questions. That it's even discussed at all is the best we could reasonably hope for, and that's already happening. At this point I'm reminded of Skeptic's comment about us including weather reports in press releases.

Now if this was condensed into a concise paragraph and rolled up into the press release for January or February's protest, that might be different.
  10. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

Yeah, I agree the time for maximum impact has probably passed, although anon seems to be pretty divided - exactly 50% for 50% against at the moment, 34 votes each. (Or slightly positive, 35-33 since ARC said to subtract his/her previous 'NO' vote)
  11. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

I am a bit divided on this.

While the press is doing a reasonable job for once on this, they are still missing a lot of the dox we have available to us on this. A year of digging around has given us gold, and we could rip apart every $cifag pr piece so far very easily, with verifiable dox and witnesses. But it has to be done right.

So I reckon if some people want to send out a press release, they should work together on it, people that don't want to can sit around and slag it off, or go do some harpooning.
  12. Mutante Member

Voted no. Anons seem to be missing the whole public perception angle on pressure groups.

I know there is a demographic overlay to what I'm about to say, but as a default position the public has for the longest time been more suspicious of what pressure groups say than what the established media says.

Times are changing yes, but right now I think it is better to have the mainstream media come to WWP and see evidence and signposts, and write their stories where anonymous can support or harpoon. If anonymous has been the electric guitar at all in this case, then the mainstream press is the Marshall 4x12.

So far, it cannot be said that any challenge to medical claims or scientology ass-covering has come from a pressure group.

WWP has some great summary content from all the press release prep. Unless anonymous has found some whole new press-worthy angle, some action to announce or some new evidence, then someone already said we should make a website explaining the Purif and maybe another one explaining Scientology vs Medicine.

tl;dr +1 using the info on WWP to build a targetted website and announce that.
  13. Anon3Mouse Member

I agree on the pressure group angle, but this just made me think of something.

I think the effect that we would get from releasing any press release has already been achieved. The news that I've seen has mentioned "rumors/Scientology critics speculating on the Internet" and let's face it, that's us.

I think, especially in this situation that's both delicate due to a kid dying and has nothing to directly do with Anonymous, we're far better served by building the press release, and once it's seen that old media is running with it not releasing it. This way, the Scilons can't bitch or try to spin whatever we put out because we never released shit.

We get all the benefits of "officially" releasing it, but none of the risks of looking like fucktards to the public. Meanwhile, Scientology has to make official statements, which only drags it out more and keeps feeding the media/hate/lulz machine.

Beyond whatever's decided in this instance, it's certainly a tactic we should remember in the future.
  14. Anonynamefag Member

50/50.

The reason I proposed this release in the first place is because of the Scilons giving theirs, and the media eating it up.

We needed to debunk it, but if the Hivemind really thinks that has already been achieved, then we need to continue firing harpoons.

I just thought that the press release would be one large harpoon that they would actually listen to.
  15. WTF Member

Notice how they stood the dorf far enough forward to make him look maybe 90% of 5'7"?
  16. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

Absolutely not, we just sent one, its boy who cried wolf syndrome

I wont send it to any of my press contacts
  17. TheBitch Member

Someone DIED. There is IN FACT a wolf loose. Which part of that did you think was the same, the part where the wolf EATS the child?

You choose not to send it to the people you know, as for me I'm done sitting on my hands. Tomorrow I start spreading this shit... give time for burial, makes sense... but tomorrow morning it's hammertime. You will NOTE WITH INTEREST I hope, that Tommy Davis didn't seem to think it was the wrong time to go on national news and lie about the cult.

Time for sourced refutation. I see the vote's always been near 50/50 but it's never that I've been checkin been "The nays lead the pack."

Do what you liek. Me, I am runnin with this ball.
  18. Snake Member

Now might be a good idea to release it! With all the Tommy Davis stuff going on this morning, we should send it out to the media that had him on last night/this morning.

Even if the vote is split, I'd say individual anons should send it out!
  19. none given Member

So it begins.
  20. King Nerd Member

NO
  21. TheBitch Member

Addendum"

"Rather than callously exploit the burial of a child, yesterday Anonymous chose to join in a day of silence and contemplation with the Travolta / Preston family. We note with sorrow that the _____ (what's asshole's title), Tommy Davis and the Church of $cilontolololligy chose this morning as an apparently ideal time not only to bury the dead but to go on national television in the name of publicity and spin control."

"The child is dead, and 'traditions' have now been observed. With this accomplished, the time has come to provide historically accurate, sourced, and factual information about what $cientololligists believe and state when the attentions of the world are not focused upon them by yet another senseless $cilontololligy death."

etc... refine it to say.. "we had a day of respect and $cilontology did what it does, used the opportunity to sell itself" then hit the facts of the matter that refute lil Tommy Davis' bullshite. If anything, Davis' CBS appearance makes this all the more the time.
  22. Sock Puppet Member

^^ what he said.
  23. Anonymous Member

None of you could write a worthwhile release of any kind.
  24. none given Member

Yes. or rather...

I do not think anything else is necessary.
  25. none given Member

That set; it looks like a game show for royalty.
  26. Erra Member

Gonna have to say no

TMH has excellent points

TheBitch is a bitch
  27. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

If you choose to send it as a response to the Tommy Davis segment, (and I'd highly encourage all harpoons to media outlets) please alter the text so it reflects that it is your opinion, you are not speaking for all of Anonymous.

The poll shows that there is not a clear majority in support of the press release, and it is my opinion that a press release purporting to come from Anonymous should only be sent out if it has clear majority support

e.g.

28. Erra Member

^^ Ding ding ^^

None of us can speak for all of us
  29. King Nerd Member

A poll this close is not a majority. So again, I'm saying no.
  30. ravenanon Member

NO!
  31. AnonLover Member

if it was redone to specifically callout tommy davis and center on disputing his remarks, rather than calling out JT and centering on Travoltas -- would moar nay sayers vote yes?
  32. Anon1720 Member

Sorry, do not want.
  33. CLOCKSHIT Member

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^

Although we sympathize with the family it is not at this time that we should imply that the drugs or no drug Jett received is the problem. Let me clarify this.

1. We don't know what or if Jett received any medication lately, only the Travolta would have to indicate this and they could lie and this would leave us eating our words of wisdom. However if the autopsy report indicate some drugs in tissue or blood then the fact may be known eventually and at that time a press release would be more appropriate. However that is not here or could be block by the Travolta.
    2. All Scilons at upper level receive training on how to lie and lie effectively to everyone including all news media. They are so good at it that its like breathing to them.
    3. Kawasaki syndrome does not produce epileptic seizures and autism is not curable with drugs since Dorctors don't know what causes it and what can be done. Again this avenue in the press release should be wiped out because no Media will buy into this.
    4. Only Joey Travolta indicated that Jett to him had autism! He's not a doctor and no one will side with him on this one.
    5. If Jett's controversy has not been settled till now, a press note identifying Psychiatric problems as a possible cause like no treatment will be strongly rejected by the Travolta and they have the upper hand on this one. So this is a no win again! Only until many doctors come up and say yes Jett definitely showed all the behavior and symptoms of AUTISM. That's definitely a lost battle cause it won't happen!

So the press release should concentrate on all the illnesses "Dianetics" cures with references to all the documentations like it is now but more:
    It cures colds
    It cures epileptic seizures
    It cures stress, bulimia, anorexia, it cures even homosexual decease(that one would be a very good one),..........
    The greater the list can be could produce big wins
    and reference to all the Co$ text in their words about these deceases.

Then you had at the end that we believe that another youth was lost because of this CULT's continued attempts at doctoring or trying to cover their unlicensed practice of medicine through a concept of religious beliefs forced on their members at a substantial price. IT IS TIME THAT THE AUTHORITIES INTERVENE TO STOP THESE DEATHS.

That to me would be more effective then trying to muddle our way into Psychiatric conditions and the so called drug treatment he received and any other drug treatments because we are not the authority. By the way we could use Tom Cruise own words on this since they are the authority on everything.

Press release title: Scientology Kills again!

I say yes send a press release but let us work on it a little more we can wait until the autopsy report is release or that it is said it will not be release to the public.

I voted yes by the way!
  34. da5id Administrator

I'd consider changing my vote to Yes if this received a massive overhaul both in wording and direction
  35. Vir Member

Except all the qualified medical professionals, child services workers, and parents of autistic children who can clearly see that Jett had symptoms of autism in those videos.

We have threads on this: Cancer, stress, etc. etc. I smell a global quack theme to ram home that Scientologists are only allowed to claim spiritual healing and shut their faces on psychiatry.

The title should not be misleading; if the release doesn't substantiate this claim, then that title shouldn't be used. Press release is serious business yo.

I waited until the cause of death, and the history of seizures was made public, but your position is also a reasonable one.
  36. Mutante Member

Me too. Point-on-point referenced rebuttal on Tommy's TV interview and Lisa Marie's blog accussing them of lying to the nation. Wait for Tom Cruise to wade in too if you like, it's inevitable, and whoever else is being lined up like Jett's uncle and a bunch of celebrity doctors (who might provide excellent quotes).

And then accuse all the Scientology shills of lying to the press, lying to the nation, at a time of mourning.

You want lulz and impact? That's how to get it whether it's on paper to the press or a video and links sent to the media, whatever.

I think that's the story we have. They're LYING in the wake of a DEATH. Using public and private grief to cover up their dangerous doctrine. SCANDALOUS.
  37. TheBitch Member

I agree, but don't wait too long on the timing or you will lose the opportunity. It's already scandalous enough for a rebuttal.
  38. nonnonanon Member

I'd rather call Davis out with connection to a media event that wasn't already saturated and full of OMG YOU'RE SOOO HEARTLESS DRAMA. Say, starting from the fact that it will now be a couple of weeks until the Second Chance in NM gets evicted, making the point that purif rundown is what they are being evicted for - yet didn't TD just say in response to tragic death blah blah that this was a spiritual practice only? It would help if this PR gave the press a useful new direction in which to go, a widening or slightly different direction for the story, something that can attract attention on into another news cycle and something that frankly took the attention off Jett/John and onto Scientology's BS. Providing more details about existing speculation is fine up to a point but the existing angle is pretty much played out. The kid's still dead, the dad's still full of shit about kawasaki syndrome. So, can we move it on to 'Is Scientology practicing medicine without a licence?'

I'm really happy for individuals to poon with the copypasta posted by dontmakemeangry, and this press release (which is good stuff btw) makes A++ copypasta for that purpose, but by sending it out as a press release a couple of days after another press release we'd almost be abusing the mailing list. Should we put this sort of thing on the static site at wwp along with other prepared statements that the media can find and copypasta, but which the press don't need to be mailbombed with?...

TheBitch: you're right, it is scandalous... the trouble in my eyes is that news organisations have very short attention spans and will not bother with a protracted argument in increasing depth and detail. Though the rebuttal idea is kind of attractive. Edit: That said I don't think it's apocalyptically important if it gets sent or not. I'm not violently opposed, just think something else might have more effect.
  39. cubby Member

no
  40. havoc anon Member

why?