Customize

Poll: Use the Op-ed letter as a press release?

Discussion in 'Jett Travolta' started by dontmakemeangry, Jan 7, 2009.

?

Should the press release be sent out?

YES 54 vote(s) 43.9%
NO 69 vote(s) 56.1%
  1. Anon3Mouse Member

Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

Fix'd

Bitch betta take a Valium and calm her ass down. This is how people get doxed for leading. You want to send out a personal statement to the press expressing -your- views and concerns, well that's all on you. You try and speak on behalf of the entire hive with half the hive disagreeing and you're asking for it.

I aint sayin, I'm just sayin.
  2. TheBitch Member

Wow, gee.. thanks for the warning eh? Wot a mistake it would have been to actually take some sort of action instead of sitting around fapping and smokin dope, amirite? Nao let's see how much kindler and gentler we can be with the cult...

I aint sayin, I'm just sayin.
  3. steelhand Member

I thought Anonymous spoke out against the cos and it practices. Was I wrong? I'm I to assume that anons only speak when it's only politically correct or nice to? So if you're in a fight and you bloody their nose you're supposed to back off and let them heal up before you resume your fight? This is a fight against a Ruthless enemy and they will destroy YOU if they can. Send the Goddamn press release!!!
  4. Erra Member

what-you-talking-about.jpg
  5. Vir Member

If you rewrite it to be your own opinion and send it to every op ed column in your area, who are we to stop you. Most op-ed's require a real name and address to be filed with the paper, not necessarily printed in the paper - but at least it'll get read.
  6. terryeo2 Member

What the fuck is this shit? I wake up to a 5 page thread agring about whether to send out this press release of not?

THIS IS WHY Anon is not having the results that it COULD have with the press.

- We do not have time to argue about contacting the press! We have, at most, a 3 day window after a major story breaks for the media to pick up our response. By Saturday this window will be closed to us.

- Sitting around and just sending comments is NOT going to get the media response we want. See my reasoning below.

- Not sending a press release is just laziness, plain and simple. As long as the facts are striaight and the references are double-checked (which you can see in the PR threads that they are scrutinized many times over), there's no negative repurcussions from sending it out. The worst that can happen is that the release gets ignored. It takes at most a day to get a release hammered out by the hivemind, and that's if just a few people throw in a couple of hours on the document.

- Press releases are harpoons in the language that the media understands. The media wants a formalized statement before it prints anything. Lets give it to them.

- The media listens to the cult because it is speaking their language. The cult has press releases ready, and a spokesperson to field their questions. We have...A website where we tell everyone to "lurk moar" and some comments pages. We're asking the media to come to us when we should be going to them instead!

- Right now the cult's words are being published with no counter-point. We should call the cult out on their bullshit everytime they send their lies out, and a formal press release is the format that will rebutt the cult in a way that the media can understand.

- If you don't care about the release, of you don't want to participate in it, then don't go to the thread! There are hundreds of other threads and tons of things that you could be doing right now to help dismantle this cult than to come into a productive PR thread and fill it with your faggotry.

- BTW, I'm not here to be nice. I'm here to destroy this cult! I could give a shit less if I piss off some movie star that I will never see in my life! Its time to ask the hard questions and to put the cult on the hot seat regarding this. Do you think the cult will be giving respects if an Anon dies?

Then write your own and post it, Mr. Icanwriteapressreleaseandyoucant! I don't have a degree in journalism, but I also don't know who here does. I'm doing the best I can with what I know. Instead of berating me and the other Anons who are doing their best on this, you could propose your own edits or write your own version. Stop sitting on your ass and contribute or GTFO.

Harpoons are NOT being picked up by the media because:

- They are in comments pages, many times separate pages from the news article site. IDK what the statistics are for hits on the main article vs the comments page, but I'm guessing that there is going to be a huge decrease in hits on the comments page.

- Some websites post the first 10 or so comments on the main page. Any comments posted past the first few are NOT going to be read, because they are on a separate page.

- Journalists, reporters, et al are too busy to read comments pages on every page that is published. They do a LOT of stories every week. Right now there's a war brewing in Gaza, a new president that is about to be elected, etc. Its going to be hard to get these reporters' attentions or time if you don't send the information straight to them!
  7. nonnonanon Member

Fuck politically correct or nice, that's not the question. Sending a photomontage of all of the cocks in the dome to the press list wouldn't bother most of us - but it probably wouldn't achieve widespread publication either. The decision to send it or not is not about 'I read it and came. Twice.' A press release is basically an attempt to personal-army the press. We can't stick our hands up their asses and sockpuppet our way into CNN or wherever. The best result might come from providing them with more or less what they wanted to run with anyway - that way they'll take it, and maybe keep your slant on the topic (disclaimer: IANAJ).

terryeo2: the thread invited comment, so it received it. Before this poll thread opened most people were doing just what you suggest. Blame the OP.
    Edit to add: also, I agree about 'contribute or gtfo' and point out also that the press release is not necessarily bad, it's a question of whether it will have a significant effect.
  8. cubby Member

NO BECAUSE IT FUCKING SUCKS YOU MORONS

LEARN TO WRITE A PRESS RELEASE INSTEAD OF A PILE OF OBVIOUSLY SELF-SERVING SANCTIMONIOUS STEAMING CRAP
  9. TheBitch Member

fix't
  10. cubby Member

a veritable touch!

your press release is still dog balls, tho
  11. steelhand Member

Allright fine. Enlighten me, why shouldn't a press release be sent. If you please, won't you?
  12. TheBitch Member

So fix it or stfu you miserable faggot!

You know I still luv you rite?

[IMG]
  13. Anon3Mouse Member

Careful now, don't want to anger our new Dear Leader.
  14. cubby Member

....i thought that was the olympic fencing junior astronaut marine psych chick
  15. TheBitch Member

You're cute, the way metastatic cancer is cute. Nao, why don't you try to actively resist the cult instead of...

[IMG]
  16. cubby Member

your press release is smarmy. people will see right through it. why don't YOU try actively resisting the cult instead of making us look less subtle than PETA?

i can't speak for all of chanology of course, but i think a press release in general right now is a bad idea unless very carefully written with an eye towards its impact. yours isn't. it strikes me as obnoxious, and i'm on your side.

my advice would be to forget about it. spam message boards posting as scientologists and cry about how john let jett die by giving him eeeeeeevil psych drugs instead.
  17. Anon3Mouse Member

Okay.

The kid's death has nothing to do with us. Yes, his parents are Scilons. Yes, it is likely that he died because he was not being treated for a neurological disorder that went untreated because of Scilon batshit insanity. Still has nothing to do with us, and any press release would just be us trying to crowbar our way into the public eye for moar attention.

In addition, everything we have to say that would have a reasonable chance of being broadcast by major media is already being said. We gain nothing by releasing a statement, for all intents and purposes we already have. We add nothing new to the conversation beyond a hueg list of dox that'll never get used on old media because they don't want to look like heartless assholes to the viewing audience.

And finally, every time we send something to the press as a statement from Anonymous, we are to a degree testing their patience. If we send something redundant and useless they are then less likely to pay attention to anything further we may send them. In this case, what we send is redundant and useless.
  18. terryeo2 Member

Thanks for restating one of my points, Mouse. The absolute worst thing that could happen with this release is that the media ignores it. Its worth trying anyway.
  19. steelhand Member

Mebbee you haven't noticed but in many parts of the country no one even knows that Anonymous exists. Ask as many people as you want and see how many have even heard of anonymous let alone scientology. We Are not really in the public eye nationwide. We NEED exposure to the general public. Any publicity is good publicity is what hollywood says. Hell, we're about as secretive as they come to the general public. And WE are the general public. So, we need to do what we can when we can, as often as possibile. Do you see?
  20. cubby Member

at this point a press release is not only redundant, it draws unnecessary attention to anonymous. this isn't about anonymous, remember? it's about scientology, and scientology is getting admirable coverage in this shitstorm. we don't need an article about OUR perspective on this shit because we're achieving what we set out to do -- the media is speaking out about this shit with NO PROMPTING FROM US.
  21. cubby Member

ANONYMOUS DOES NOT NEED EXPOSURE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC

LURK THE FUCK MOAR
  22. Skeptic1337 Member

No one is stopping this press release from going out. Seems like some people wanted an opinion on the subject and it was given. Bawwwwwing that not every agrees accomplishes nothing. You can either take the criticism and see if it has a point or not and just do it.

Some times from what is perceived as failure comes win. I don't see it personally but then my opinion is as worthy as any one else.

The one thing to keep in mind unless you have personal press contacts you are going to need buy in from those that do to send it for you.

Those that created this press release, if you wanted to send it out why did you ask for "consensus" on the issue? Just fucking send it.
  23. Anon3Mouse Member

Some asshole in a cornfield in fucking Iowa not knowing who Anonymous is isn't a bad thing. What is it that you, T2 and DearBitchLeader expect to accomplish here? Do you honestly and truly believe that after this goes out Wolf Blitzer is going to interrupt discussion about Jews starting moar wars with:

"And now some breaking news in the Situation Room. In the continuing controversy surrounding the tragic death of Jett Travolta, son of famous Scientologists John Travolta and Kelly Preston, the Situation Room has received a press release from Anonymous."
  24. steelhand Member

And who are Anonymous if not the general pubic. Where do we recruit new members from? The general public. When we protest, we expose ourselves to the general public. When we pass out fliers we expose ourselves and introduce them to anonymous. You don't think an anonymous comic magazine isn't going to expose us to the public in a big way? One anon to another. I'll Lurk FUCKING Moar. If you will respectfully Fucking seriously think a little bit more about what people are trying to say when they post, that's all.
  25. terryeo2 Member

Skeptic: I would have sent this out yesterday if I had the "hueg as Xbox media list" that gregg has. Ultimately he has the final say over whether this goes out or not.

We're not talking about Blitzer, we're talking about getting rebuttal articles printed in the same places that the scilon talking points are, most likely in either the Gossip or Celebrity sections.

No matter what, it doesn't hurt to try and get the media's attention. Bitching about the cult from comments pages that we're not sure people read anyway is NOT going to get that attention.

EDIT: Imagine how today's Tommy Davis interviews would have went if the reporters asked "We have a statement from Anonymous with references stating that Jett is viewed as a 'degraded being.' Why is Scientology calling autistic people 'degraded?'
  26. Skeptic1337 Member

Did you ask him?
  27. King Nerd Member

Allow me to sober up for a moment...

Okay fuckwits, I've got a few things to say. And you'd better listen closely. I am sick and tired of all this bullshit. You want to know why this press release is a bad idea?

Look at Tommy Davis. The cult has stuck its foot in its mouth in letting that piece of dogshit blabber on television the last few days. Something big happened with that. He was forced to sit there and try and explain what the cult believes!

THAT IS XBOX HUEG! After a year, people know its bullshit.

But what did he really try to do? Recruit! RECRUIT! And it won't work, will it?

Now, look at this so-called press release you all fapped and drooled over. What is it? Its nothing the media isn't already looking at. So, what purpose does it serve us? RECRUITING! We can find better ways to do that than exploiting a dead child.

Putting that press release out there makes us look just as bad as the cult. The cult's stance on medication is being scrutinized right now by the people we've spent a year trying to reach. Let it be. Let it play out. Give it another few days and see what happens. And when it seems that the media sides with the cult, then we can man the harpoons.

I know the original Chanology video said, "Yet for all that we are not as monstrous as you are; still our methods are a parallel to your own." and normally I'm all for it, but I assure you this isn't one of those times.

Anyway, that's about as eloquent as I care to be.

Tl;dr: NO
  28. terryeo2 Member

King Nerd: Who gives a shit how we 'look?' I'm not here to make us look good. I'm here to make the cult look bad.

We don't need to have a postive image. The cult DOES if it wants to keep getting people to buy their book.

Yeah I did send a PM to gregg yesterday. He has yet to respond.
  29. Your Mom Member

Personally, I think the poll should be closed now and we move on to other things.

My opinion, of course.
  30. King Nerd Member

I think you missed my point. The cult already looks bad. We don't have to do shit about this situation right now.

On another note, we've spent the better part of a year hounding Will Smith and Tom Cruise... do we really need to drag John Travolta into this too? Seriously, this is about trolling a cult, not stalking celebrities. I understand they're high profile, but shouldn't we be more concerned with other angles?
  31. nonnonanon Member

Anonymous and egofaggotry just do not work well together. And if quantity were the only metric we could produce >9000 press releases and lrn2spam, which would piss people off and cause them to send our shit to /dev/null. You're right, some level of exposure is good for recruitment, but if the source of the info in the press release got any mention it still would not be be an effective recruitment tool for us. Youfoundthecomic/card/faildancing/sea aaaargh is catchy for potential recruits; being referred to in the humorless media as "radical anti-Scientology group Anonymous" is neutral at best. Wear an amusing hat and a stuffed parrot and wander down main street with some relevant literature, be non-threatening, and people will be intrigued, which is a good thing.

terryeo2: they would probably not have asked that. They might have said "do Scientologists view autistic people as 'degraded beings'?" and might have shown some dox in the form of audio/video/a quote, but they are under no obligation to say where they got that info from and very often they won't. Anyway... yourmom is right. Moving on...
  32. TheBitch Member

I'd agree.. thread in think tank is showing signs of herd focusing on Tommy Davis, TomKat and LMP (maybe) as target of rebuttal in vid or print.

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/26-think-tank/gentlemen-tommy-davis-our-response-35912/

Whatever is done needs to get done sooner rather than later.

Get a fuckin pair of balls. The kid is dead. You think $cilontololligy had nothing to do with it? You think the parents weren't negligent? You think it's a righteous death huh? This isn't "celebrity stalking," it is exposing the insanity of $cilebritologists. Sorry you can't see a difference.
  33. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

I created this thread. I did not write the press release but I contributed to editing.

I was slightly in support of sending it but I asked for the hivemind's feeling because press releases should reflect the consensus. When I first heard about it I was actually against the whole idea of a press release, because of the potential backlash since this is a very sensitive topic. Also it is not really a true press release (i.e. not announcing some new information from Anonymous). I am very mindful of the fact that no single anon can speak for all of us, and there is some inherent irony in a press release by "Anonymous" - a non-organization.

Clearly there are strong views on both sides of this question. The thread and poll shows there is no clear consensus. It is my opinion that any press release sent out to the big list should have the support of a clear majority of anons, and since this is not the case, I'd advise Gregg NOT to send it.

tl;dr The hivemind has spoken, the answer is NO

/thread

And feel free to copypasta the text from the press release for use in harpoons, just reword it to reflect your peronal opinion.
  34. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

"The Travoltas have stated that they put Jett through the "Purification Rundown", a controversial Scientology program that involves administering dangerous doses of niacin, which has been found to cause liver damage. " Don't know if this has been hit on, but didn't they stop the Depkota treatment because his liver was not working right???? Bears some looking into.
  35. terryeo2 Member

You mean the hivemind in undecided?

The poll is pretty close to a 50/50 split either way.

BTW, I'm finished with trying to get approval for everything I do here. I am going to send out my own statements, in my own words to whoever I like. I am Anonymous as much as anyone else is, and I suggest you all stop bickering about what to do and just DO IT.
  36. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

I agree. Voted no.
  37. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

OK then, the hivemind is undecided. But that means Gregg should not send out the press release, because a press release implies a majority endorsement.

Great! Continue sending out your own harpoons. Everyone has local media, newspapers, radio stations etc that could benefit from some referenced facts from concerned citizens.
  38. terryeo2 Member

Where did gregg get his "list" from? How do I know what email addys to send my statements to? The websites for all of these news outlets don't have a concrete answer for this.
  39. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

The big list was acquired with the help of pressfags, it is not for public circulation because spamming will obviously result in blocking.

But you can make your own list by going to key media outlets, clicking on "contact us" (or similar) and collecting their details. Also try googling for random email addresses that have been published.

And don't restrict yourself just to email, you can use something like skype to cheaply call up radio stations, newsdesks etc.

Particularly push the audio of L. Ron Hubbard talking about taking people off anti-seizure medication:

Lafayette Ronald Hubbard. Taped lecture C7204C07 SO: Expanded Dianetics Lecture No.2 Expanded Dianetics and Word Clearing. 1972. Available online at:
  40. Re: POLL - Do you approve of this press release

Press releases lose their impact when there's too many of them. They become spam. You have to pick your battles, and this is one that we're winning anyway.
    If anything having a press release dilutes the effect of this story. To an outsider we are a biased source. I know we're right, but that's just how it looks. Our association dilutes the credibility of the media who are telling this story.

By all means drop dox to the media to help them find the story, but don't style it as a press release.

Oh and please King Nerd, STFU.