Customize

Posting Copyrighted Material

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by Anonymous, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

what are the guidelines and laws for posting copyrighted material.

there seems to be some posted on this site.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Anonymous Member

troll much?
  3. Anonymous Member

just wanting to follow the rules

what about posting an exact quote from an LRH book, for example?
  4. Dragononymous Member

freedom of information
    /thread
    • Like Like x 1
  5. anonymous612 Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Depending on what you post:
    • If it is a video, follow whatever copyright rules are applicable for the video host. (Youtube's TOS will explain what has to be done if you use that)
    • If it is a book quote, while not mandatory per say, put in the quote at the end a reference so people can find it and give credit to the author.
    • If it is a picture, follow whatever copyright rules that are applicable for the hosting site.
    Hope that is of help. If you feel it is questionable or have doubts, feel free to ask a mod. If you do ask a mod, be polite and accurate.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. hushpuppy Member

No WWP mods have insight re copyright law AFAIK.

But I do like PS' request to 'be polite and accurate' re mod inquiries. :)
  8. Miranda Member

User has been pming me the same questions, and got similar responses. And I agree, thanks for the anti-abuse.

Here is a little more detail:

If you are going to quote LRH or anyone else verbatim, you would be wise to attribute it and stay within fair use guidelines--meaning, essentially, a short passage only. This depends somewhat on when the material was published, though--older manuscripts are not subject to copyright in the same way as new ones.

It is fine to refer to what others have said.

It is your responsibility to quote responsibly.

If you see copyrighted material posted, let the poster know. Sometimes we overlook the copyright marks. My understanding is that if copyrighted images are posted without any intent to profit from them, the response would usually be a request to take them down.

But I'm not a lawyer, nor am I suggesting that anything I've posted here or in pm represents an official statement by wwp. Just trying to answer your question as well as I can based on my personal experience--and warning anyone concerned about these issues to research them.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

You are welcome... A tried and true formula is: If you are polite and accurate, you get better results and a whole lot more respect than if you act like an uber asshole.

Now as far as mods not knowing all there is to know about copyright issues: My thought was that mods would know the difference between an iffy thing or a blatant copyright ripoff. However, like you said, the community also has that ability as well. Also sites like Youtube and ImageShack have internal policing systems to prevent a person from putting up copyrighted material. Granted it is far from perfect and sometimes legit things get tore down, but they do have a method in place to protect both the author and the poster.

As far as quotes from a book, my understanding is that as long as it has a reference source like you would a research report or a book report then it would be fine. Now, you couldn't post the whole book and just go "book, author, date,etc." because that wouldn't fly in a court of law. However, quoting a few paragraphs and putting up a reference source at the end of each instance would be enough.

Now, I have no idea what exactly the OP wants to post or what specifics they are looking for. Sounds like Miranda may have solved the OP's questions though. Add to this IANAL, but I have some familiarity with the copyright system. The only real advice to follow is: If you have doubts about posting something, ask somebody who may know (like a mod or a user who posts a lot and isn't a flaming faggot 9 days out of 10) or don't post it up at all if you really feel there is that much doubt. If you do ask somebody: Be nice, polite, and accurately describe your question. Don't be vague and don't rage, otherwise you'll get it in kind.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Miranda Member

Right. And if you see someone else (including mods) posting copyrighted material, let them know and give them the opportunity to take it down.
  11. Anonymous Member

I saw this coming a mile away.

Be wary.
  12. Miranda Member

Likewise. Sneaky user is not so sneaky.
  13. Disco Necked Member

2nuip05.jpg
  14. Miranda Member

I suggest that anyone who is concerned about this issue should be sure to research it before posting, especially if you plan to post a large amount from a source.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Demented LRH Member

One of the anti-Scientology websites (I believe it was Xenu.org) posted some copyrighted data regarding higher OT levels. Apparently, they got it from Wikileaks, which is also my source of Scio information. Now there is a note on that website saying that CoS forced them to remove that data because of violation of copyrights.
  16. Anonymous Member

if it is already on the internet would it be considered public information?
  17. Anonymous Member

Copyright doesn't work that way.

Law around confidentiality sometimes does, but that's a different field.

'In the public domain' mean that a work is no longer covered by copyright - i.e. the copyright has expired - it doesn't mean that the work is widely available to the public.

So whether a work is already available to the public makes no difference to its copyright status.
  18. Anonymous Member

(off topic additional info

"The people who post and host the copyrighted and confidential works of Scientology are risking themselves to help warn the public about the dangers of Scientology. They have a strong sense of public duty and care for their fellow men. They are breaking copyright laws it is true but they are acting out of conscience and out of high human ideals. As they get broken down by legal or physical harassment more rise to take their place."

http://www.xenu.net/roland-intro.html)
  19. Anonymous Member

understood
  20. Demented LRH Member

You are absolutely right, no argument here.
    I studied copyright laws not because of CoS but because I write articles on stock market and real estate. Sometimes I use quotations from various sources in my articles.
  21. Anonymous Member

[IMG]
  22. Anonymous Member

23. Demented LRH Member

24. Anonymous Member

Well there are 4 terabytes of Hubbard's material already on the internet. So...
  25. Anonymous Member

That's a wholelottahubbard.
  26. Demented LRH Member

In 1986 Los Angeles Times for the first time published OT 3 data. Initially CoS denied that this is real data, and because of their denial they could not sue the newspaper. For awhile they kept saying that all OT data published on the Internet is false; this is how 4 terabytes of data remained uncontested.

They are smarter now -- they sue everyone who puts new OT data on the Internet.
  27. Anonymous Member

That's right, every time.
  28. Miranda Member

The most important thing to remember is that each person is responsible for figuring out whether it's legal to post what they want to post. If in doubt, don't post it. Sorry to say it , but WWP will not cover your ass if you mess up.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Ogsonofgroo Member

Considering the 'source'~ aka Hubbard the Fraud, has been dead for over 25 years, don't think that is a concern ;)
    And, what Miranda said ^^
  30. Miranda Member