Customize

Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Anonymous, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

That's because We're The Good Guys Here, And This Kind Of Thing Proves It.
  2. Anonymous Member

there is - it's a tactical lulzy win because it puts the Scientologists in the impossible position of having to agree with us.

also it damages their 'anon is a hate group' soapbox.
  3. Anon556 Member

This cult picks enough unfair fights in the legal system. Let them have a taste of their own medicine. Leave em to their own mess.
  4. Anon1720 Member

Do not want.
  5. Krytenanon Member

Yeah I agree with you fellow anons but I feel uncomfortable about giving them an inch of ground. Give an inch & they take a mile sort of thing.
  6. anonymous612 Member

The irony, you are not getting it.
  7. mirror neuron Member

Suggested changes in paragraphing for easier readability, and transition added to last paragraph. I also suggest removing the stuff about the tone scale--the quote is long, casual readers will likely skip it or quit reading, and no one who isn't already somewhat informed has a clue what the tone scale is. The important words are "to dispose of them quietly and without sorrow." I suggest summarizing the rest of the quotation and letting those shine.
  8. anonymous612 Member

I'd say leave the bit about Venezuela in, though, that's a striking quote.
  9. RightOn Member

Please excuse this post.....I am not trying to derail at all.... but this is a plea.
    Whomever is sending out this press release I have a very important already written press release that needs to be sent out from a week ago that everyone agreed on, but it never got sent ( the list reaching over 1000 names)
    Please PM me???? thank you!
  10. mirror neuron Member

Maybe. This was a quick edit. It's all so temptingly outrageous. Just, the shorter, the more at-a-glance, the more people will get the message so cutting whatever can be cut is probably for the best. Quotations especially tend to be bleeped by readers. So much self-incrimination, so little time.
  11. Anonymous Member

some further suggestions ...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Anti-Scientology activists hit out against Russian censorship

Clearwater, Florida - April 22, 2010 - The anti-Scientology group Anonymous has come out in support of Scientology's right to freedom of speech.

"People all over the world should be able to discover the true absurdity of Hubbard's phony religion, a dangerous cult which has become a threat to society, but forms the greatest threat to its own members", said an Anonymous spokesperson.

Scientology, now a billion-dollar multinational corporation, was invented in 1952 by Lafayette Hubbart, a science-fiction writer whose works include "Typewriters In The Sky", "Beyond The Black Nebula" and "This Ship Kills!"

In recent months it has suffered a number of humiliating setbacks at the hands of Anonymous, an Internet campaign group formed in response to Scientology attempts to censor an online video of Hollywood star Tom Cruise gushing about his love for the phony pseudo-religion.

Russian authorities, who banned 28 Scientology books which they claim contain calls "to commit crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred" and "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology", argue that "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred".

But Anonymous states that "Censorship can only raise Scientology's profile. We believe all Scientology materials should be freely available for public criticism and debate - in contrast to Scientology itself, which charges its followers up to $500,000 for them".

"Russian authorities should concentrate their efforts on prosecuting the serious crimes committed by Scientology staff and followers - crimes which include child labour and forced abortions".

Notes for editors

The statement released by Russian prosecutors may be accessed at Ãåíåðàëüíàÿ ïðîêóðàòóðà ÐÔ | Íîâîñòè

For further comment contact Anonymous at:
    email@example.com

12. Anonymous Member

sorry, my edit crossed with Mirror Neutron's.
  13. LegionWeAre Member

This. The evil of censorship is why we protest.
  14. Anonymous Member

also makes it a lot more newsworthy.
  15. Anonymous Member

I will informally throw this out there, see if you think it should be added:
    Need to also point out that Russia's censorship adds on top of *Scientology's censorship of its own material* --- going as far as raiding/suing/bankrupting people who made portion of Hubbard writings available for free, while coercing former members into silence through bogus contract, and/or threat of divulging confessions made during "auditing".
  16. auchraw Member

Perhaps say "some members of Anonymous" or "There is strong feeling within the protest group Anonymous" since it is quite evident that we are sharply divided on whether or not it is a good thing to ban these pernicious books.

It seems that most European Anons agree with the Russian stance while most American Anons do not.

OTOH I find it ironic that most American Anons object rather strongly to death threats made by members of an extremist religious group in the States, while most European Anons take this for granted: crazy cults are crazy cults.

Do European governments know something about Scientology that the govt of the US does not?

The alleged irony is wasted. Scientology has no sense of irony.
  17. Anonymous Member

... naah. This is a "hacker ethic" thing, not a "1st amendment" thing. For me anyway. And I'm in Europe.

Hacker ethic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also I enjoy irony, and putting the cult in a Sticky Position Public-Relations-Wise.
  18. Anonymous Member

You give them nothing. Scientology is heavily pro-censorship. If Scientology materials become *freely* available to *all*, Scientology is doomed. Between the two scenarios, 1) ban books in Russia, 2) ban Scientology *copyrights* in Russia, Scientology, Inc. no doubt prefers the first one. The second scenario would doom Scientology, Inc. for good, since it undermines all what Scientology is about: a racket to separate people from their money, which requires further abuses such as disconnection, lying, etc. etc.
  19. Anonymous Member

Right. Censorship benefits Scientology by making it seem anti-authoritarian.

Also:

- anything censored is automatically more desirable and more credible to the public,

- it's unenforcable anyway, what with these modern times and computers'n'all.
  20. Anonymous Member

How about stating that our solution to the Scientology problem is to rather ban the copyrights of the materials, not the materials itself?
  21. Anonymous Member

too complex for a press statement, IMO. Remember the average reader doesn't know what Sci is, who we are, where Russia is, or how to distinguish their arse from their elbow.

They also don't really know what 'copyright' is.
  22. Anonymous Member

witty
  23. Anonymous Member

I disagree. First, that emasculates Anonymous; second, there never WAS agreement within Anonymous (that's part of our charm); and third, this is the third reason.

Too many versions without changes marked to follow the development.

We could suggest that the authorities require that Scientology put a prominent warning on all of their "extremist" materials. Hehehe.
  24. LocalSP Member

I like this^^^
  25. Anonymous Member

20th century:

"Freedom is always the freedom of the one who thinks differently"
    Rosa Luxemburg
  26. AIN Member

this has win that may be epic if done right
    1. We are a group for freedom of information
    2. Hard for the Scilons to knock us publicly after we defend them
  27. Anonymous Member

It should be mentioned that Anonymous condones complete transparency instead of censorship and secrecy and wants ALL Scientology scriptures to be made freely available, including the OT scriptures, which Scientology itself has a history of banning from the internet.
  28. Anonymous Member

sorry, i meant "support" instead of "condone". Otherwise it doesn't make sense. Non english fag here.
  29. amaX Member

IMO our press releases are always too complex. I find it ironic that most of the people who frequent this delightful dump will squawk, "tl;dr" to anything more than three lines long and yet our press releases read like bad novel.

ALSO, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND AWESOME ABOUT LIFE ITSELF RELEASE THE MORE IMPORTANT PRESS RELEASE ABOUT ALL OF THE EX'S WHO ARE SPEAKING OUT? RIGHT ON HAS BEEN BEGGING FOR SOMEONE TO RELEASE IT AND NO ONE HAS STEPPED UP.

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO RELEASE IT OR I WOULD DO IT MYSELF.

IN FACT, RELEASE THE EX'S LIST ARTICLE BEFORE THIS "ANON CONDEMNS RUSSIA" ARTICLE! THE EX'S LIST HAS BEEN WAITING FOR FAR TOO LONG. PEOPLE HAVE WORKED VERY HARD ON THAT EX'S LIST AND IT'S JUST SITTING THERE.

RELEASE THE EX'S LIST!
  30. Anonymous Member

Caution, we don't defend "them," if it appears this way, it's just a side effect of being anti-censorship, pro-free flow of information
  31. AIN Member

32. anonymous612 Member

What the fuck are you going on about and where are you getting your pretend statistics?
  33. AIN Member

I use defend in the sense of appearance. To the average reader, if the scilons call us terrorists and religious bigots after they read that we condemn russia for book banning, it makes COS look like douche nozzles.
  34. mirror neuron Member

I agree with this. My transition in the last paragraph was maybe too much of a blanket statement--in some way the press release should acknowledge that we don't think or speak for each other.
  35. AIN Member

I should point out that if we say some, it defeats the purpose. Anonymous works because a consensus is reached regarding an action, either we all back it or we drop this.

Second, the reason for the difference is simple, In the USA, the first amendment is taken VERY seriously and as for threats, they tick us off because we are used to being the BAMF and given our current climate, if they follow through on a threat, odds are some part of the middle east is gonna be turned into glass.
  36. mirror neuron Member

While I agree with the points here, you're just raising too many points and the tone is too emotional. Save the editorializing for elsewhere, I suggest. I'm saying this only in the interest of reaching readers--short, clear, uncomplicated. Make one point. Make others later.
  37. AnotherSock Member

38. amaX Member

CAN SOMEONE POINT ME IN THE DIRECTION OF WHERE YOU POST A PRESS RELEASE BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE TO RELEASE THE BIG LIST OF EX'S. TYVM
  39. Krytenanon Member

I agree with you on that completely 100%

Here I'm not to sure about as attacking $cientology copyrights would be and can be twisted to attack the copyright laws themselves. This could be used by sci to gain support from other corporate entities.

We have a unique opportunity to get in contact with the Russian govt about $cientology and condemning them for banning books might not be so diplomatic imho. Perhapse in exchange for banning the books we could offer advice such as promoting the dangers of the cult, support for those wanting to leave, contacts, websites. Anonymous Condemns is a bit egotistical also imho.

I do love that anonymous has many varied opinions, thoughts and view points as opposed to sci who has many voices, one view point and one thought.

Love yas
  40. failboat Member

this comment refers to OP. not sure which version we are on now.

the long paragraph full of quotes needs to be pared down by a quote or 2 and the quote(s) need actual comment. neither censorship nor freedom of speech nor Russia is mentioned in that paragraph. the quote paragraph needs to transition properly from genocidal quotes to banning books and why censorship is bad. tack a sentence or 2 at the end of the quote paragraph that sums up the quote(s), and maybe comments on why the russian ban might be understandable to some, but reiterates that suppressing information is never a morally acceptable means for protecting people from ideas.

reasoned, public debate and debunking is how we do it in modern societies.