Customize

Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Anonymous, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

fair point, how about this version then?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Anti-Scientology activists hit out against Russian censorship

Clearwater, Florida - April 22, 2010 - The anti-Scientology group Anonymous has come out in support of Scientology's right to freedom of speech.

"People all over the world should be able to discover the true absurdity of Hubbard's phony religion, a dangerous cult which has become a threat to society, but forms the greatest threat to its own members", said an Anonymous spokesperson.

Scientology, now a billion-dollar multinational corporation, was invented in 1952 by Lafayette Hubbard, a science-fiction writer whose works include "Typewriters In The Sky", "Beyond The Black Nebula" and "This Ship Kills!"

Russian authorities, who banned 28 Scientology books which they claim contain calls "to commit crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred" and "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology", argue that "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred".

But Anonymous states that "Censorship can only raise Scientology's profile. We believe all Scientology materials should be freely available for public criticism and debate - in contrast to Scientology itself, which charges its followers up to $500,000 for them".

Notes for editors

The statement released by Russian prosecutors may be accessed at Ãåíåðàëüíàÿ ïðîêóðàòóðà ÐÔ | Íîâîñòè

For further comment contact Anonymous at:
    email@example.com

I've kept the titles of LRH Sci-fi tech for adherence with Rule #1: Mock The Cult.
  2. Anonymous Member

do we? no, we don't.
  3. AIN Member

bold for removal
    italics for rewording
    1. phony religion will irk the religious groups, should instead say "A dangerous cult"
    2.Battlefield earth is more well known as a flop of epic levels
    3. Censorship in all forms is bad.
    4.Sounds awkward, should go more along the lines of "rather then costing in excess of $50,000 Scientology charges."
  4. STC_sock Member

For the record, i very strongly support Russia's actions. I know I'll get abuse from you lot for saying it, it's what I believe.
  5. amaX Member

Look, it's already done. Whoever is posting the Anon condemns Russia press release, could you please post this one, too? Or could you give me a link to where y'all release these things and I'll try to figure it out myself? This list is so important and it's just been sitting here.

Thanks.

List Of 1,000 Former Church OF Scientology Members Publicly Speak Out Against The Church

Over 1,000 former members of the Church of Scientology have spoken out publicly against the so-called church, according to a list researched and compiled by Anonymous over the last year and announced on April 11th 2010.

The individuals on the list have spoken out under their real names against the abuses seen and experienced within the so-called church despite being subjected to Scientology's "Fair Game" policy, which gives members permission to destroy its critics. Most former members do not ever speak out against the church, largely due to this policy.

The stories told by these ex-members are similar to the revelations made recently by former members speaking out against the Scientology in highly-visible stories in the New York Times, the St. Petersburg Times, and most recently, in a five-part series on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360. According to the Church of Scientology, these former members are "liars" and "apostates" with an agenda to destroy the church. Anonymous wonders whether Scientology will also call all 1,000 of these former members liars.

The list, which continues to grow daily, contains many names of individuals who no longer practice Scientology at all as well as many others who do. What they have in common is that each of them has decided to step forward and tell the world what happened during their time within organized Scientology. While their backgrounds vary widely, their stories are similar and many themes run throughout: rigid control of information, enforced disconnection from loved ones who are critical of the group, zealous campaigns to squeeze money from members, physical and emotional abuse of children and adults, slave labor camps designed to reinforce indoctrination, and many other disturbing practices. The problem is not limited to any particular country. Their compelling stories emerge from numerous countries all around the world.

Anonymous now celebrates the compilation and publication of a 1,000-strong list of human voices no longer silenced, and never again alone. You can find the list online here: Former Church Of Scientology Members Who Have Spoken Out. Documentation is provided for each name included in the list.

All remaining victims or observers of abuse within organized Scientology are invited to speak out and add their names and their messages.

We hope that the courage shown by those named on this list empowers more people to come forward with their stories of abuse, and ultimately prevents such abuses from ever taking place again.

Since February 2008, Anonymous has protested the crimes and abuses of the "Church of Scientology" and its many front groups. These protests, as well as public awareness efforts like the Big List, will continue.

We are Anonymous
    We are Legion
    We Do Not Forgive
    We Do Not Forget
    Expect Us.
  6. Anonymous Member

abuse? nono! we entirely support your right to state your opinion (although we feel it's misguided).

;)
  7. failboat Member

i LOLed

unless we have any anons who happen to be Russian nationals, and also happen to be lawyers, we have absolutely NO way to get in contact with the russian gov't. you'd have to at least be a citizen to lodge a formal complaint that anyone would ever read.

russia doesn't even listen to their own citizens, what makes you think they'll listen to foreign internet activists?
  8. Anonymous Member

Re-word "true absurdity of Hubbard's phony religion" as "true nature of Hubbard's teachings"
  9. STC_sock Member

Exactly. They don't give a flying-fuck!

It's clear that Americans are getting their knickers in a twist because of the 1st Amendment. To me, this is all just fine and like Auchraw, I fully encourage it.

stop trying to spread your constitution overseas. We don't want it. Just like we don't want guns. (2nd amendment?)
  10. Anonymous Member

11. Anonymous Member

1. phony religion will irk the religious groups, should instead say "A dangerous cult"

disagree - point is that it is not a legitimate religion.
    also, who gives a shit who gets irked? Irking = controversy = coverage

2.Battlefield earth is more well known as a flop of epic levels

yes indeed, also provides an excuse for a comedy photo of alien with dreadlocks.

3. Censorship in all forms is bad.

sorry, what bit does this refer to?

4.Sounds awkward, should go more along the lines of "rather then costing in excess of $50,000 Scientology charges."

agreed it sounds awkward, how about this:

Scientology keeps its own materials a closely guarded secret, charging followers up to $500,000 for access. We believe all Scientology materials should be freely available for public criticism and debate.
  12. Anonymous Member

too positive! prophets have 'teachings', LRH has baloney!
  13. Krytenanon Member

Anonymous footbullet.
  14. Anonymous Member

Well yeah. It's a press release.
  15. CarterUSP Member

So glad to see anons wearing the white hats here. Even though Russia banning Sci books helps us and hinders scilons, it's wrong. If the Russian government were murdering scilons, we wouldn't say "never mind, it helps us and hinders them". Wrong is wrong.

I applaud the press release. When it's all done, we should send the co$ a copy. See what Davey boy makes of it.

When raiding and talking to public, being open and discussing OT3 and some of the weird shizzle with them is always more effective than just saying "Don't read it."
    Opening sci docs to the public so the public can make their own mind up about it (without a scilon registrar breathing down their neck) will harm the co$ much more than trying to ban them would.
  16. Anonymous Member

also, you're assuming that 'auditing' (which might as well be called 'wallet-fisting' as far as I'm concerned) has value.
  17. Anonymous Member

Stuff it moron. You're sitting there assuming that it's only Americans who don't support censorship, thus proving you have no point beyond "LAWL ANYTHING THAT HARMS SCIENTOLOGY FORGET THE PUBLIC GOOD AND MORALITY".

Newfag, you probably don't even get how and why this movement started.
  18. willhaven720 Member

It might be a good idea to include that they (Russia) should look to the acts of fraud and child/slave labor as a means of printing and distributing it's materials. And that while it's assets should be ceased in the event of the cult being found guilty in such matters (such as they have been in France), the words themselves should be made available to all who seek them.
  19. STC_sock Member

that's quite a leap you've made there!

My press release would be : thanks Russia!
  20. Anonymous Member

Yes, a press release should be based on facts or you are endangering the credibility of your group and no one will print it.
  21. failboat Member

if u think u can actually contact the russian gov't and influence their state policy with regard to an entire religion, then you should do the same thing in israel first and bring peace to the jews and palestinians.
  22. timthephoto Member

since we have been publishing scientology's works online, it's perfecty ok to denounce censorship in any form etc etc

personally i think the drafts are way too long, contain more than one reference etc imho, it needs to be very short, be in text and a david video
  23. Anonymous Member

based on facts but not pedantic.

there's many other published venues where pedantry is more than appropriate.

disagree with you about them not printing it. they're more likely to not print it if it's boring.
  24. Random guy Member

You are really not into the concept of "tactical lulz", are you? The irony of this thing is so tangible I can almost taste it. Oh, and its fun too! As you know, humor is the one thing the cult has no defence against.
  25. RightOn Member

This one ^^^ is missing the link for the wiki list which needs to be embedded in this sentence:
    "Former Church Of Scientology Members Who Have Spoken Out"

here is the link for that sentence^
    Former Church of Scientology members who have spoken out - Why We Protest Wiki
  26. Anonymous Member

i think he meant himself. re the footbullet.
  27. Krytenanon Member

I have no contacts in israel. Why would I have contacts in israel because I have contacts in russia? Your logic is fail.
  28. Anonymous Member

Ahhh someone who gets it.

Scientology's mouth is going to drop and it will stifle them way more if we come out against the banning of Scientology's books.
  29. failboat Member

k, u never mentioned you have contacts in russia ! ! apologizes.
  30. Anonymous Member

Well, even IF Scientology would charge up to $500,000 for its scriptures, which is absolutely and blatantly FALSE, it doesn't mean that Scientology censors its own scripture.
    If you replace that moronic statement with the FACT, that Scientology had a history of suppressing its own scriptures from the internet, then it is a) true , b) makes sense in the context , c) not boring.
  31. CarterUSP Member

Big leap I know but the principle is the same. Wrong is wrong and should be opposed whether it suits us or not.
    What if Russia banned Anons for expressing extremist anti scientology opinions? I think we'd be quick to complain for unfair censorship.

Although i am glad to see that Russia recognises the dangers of the cult and aren't afraid to bust their chops up a bit. :) Just wish they'd do it a different way.
  32. STC_sock Member

It's mouth won't drop. What are you talking about? Their critical-thinking facilities are totally shut-down. OSA knows full well that they faked their own bomb threats. "The greatest good for the greatest number of dynamics" - it's okay for them to lie (in Hubbard's view of the world).

They will lie, as usual.
  33. Anonymous Member

No way!

The ban benefits Scientology. The ban is a BIG WIN for Scientology because:

- it substantiates their claims of victimisation, and makes them look anti-authoritarian

- it makes their materials more credible to the public

- it'll stimulate donations to from Scientologists on the inside

- some of the press is bound to take the view: can anything that's banned by the Russian government be all bad?

- it's unenforcable anyway so can only do good things to their stats inside Russia

also, censorship bad.
  34. STC_sock Member

They're just banning the sale of hard-copy (dead-tree) books. They are not filtering the internet (a la Kevin Rudd/Australia).

The books generate so much money. Have you seen the catalogue prices? It stops the extortion. The Russians' idea is genius. Pure genius.
  35. Anonymous Member

ok, agreed, quote teachings then: "teachings"
  36. STC_sock Member

They can enforce Scientology making money from the sale of books. They know full-well that they can't stop the book from existing.

This is Scientology's reason d'etre. Making money. It's all about hard cash. It's only about hard cash.

Also, no-one really cares about Russia. They are notorious for being unreasonable.
  37. Anonymous Member

all right then, what figure would you choose?

or how would you draft a replacement sentence?

I accept that I'm conflating the money charged by Scientology for valueless 'courses' with the money charged in licence fees for valueless 'books', 'auditing', 'finger-fucking', whatever. I just don't give a shit about their distinctions.

They don't give you access to all the written stuff until you've paid lots of money. That's my point. If you can rephrase it better then go for it.
  38. Anonymous Member

So they'll just charge for 'courses' or 'auditing' or whatever-the-fuck and slip a copy of the book under the table.

that's why this is a win for the cult. The Russian government has a reputation for being authoritarian and unreasonable, so anything it opposes Can't Be All Bad.
  39. Anonymous Member

Wow. I'm not talking about their capacity for critical thinking or lack thereof, I'm talking about the perceptions of the public.

They accuse us of being bigots, which as much as we don't like some people do swallow, if we come out in support of the ban it will only further reinforce that perception to those who already hold it.

If we come out against it, it will surprise those who are indeed capable of critical thinking.

Also, I think you should take a step back and think about whether or not it's really all that smart to say there aren't any scientologists capable of critical thinking.

If there weren't, none of them would ever fucking leave smart guy.
  40. amaX Member

Is PRlog.org a good place to post a press release?

I've been going through page after fucking pages searching for a link to post a press release. I'm finding lots of Sci press releases, but not much in the way of places where we've dropped press releases.

Halp.

Thanks.