Customize

Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Anonymous, Apr 22, 2010.

1. STC_sock Member

Re: Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

They can't as it's obviously a proxy donation.

In the UK, if someone wrote a book saying 'I hate niggers' it would be banned & censored. In the US, this would be unthinkable as free speech is protected.

Hey Australia banned the cult in the 60s or something.
  2. Anonymous Member

There, you admit it.

So if we come out in support of an unreasonable action... that's going to make us look like what?

The ban exists no matter what, whether we support it or not. What matters now is the public perception battle. So what do we want to look like?

Hypocritical cunts who fly into a fury about a propaganda video being taken down but then clap and cheer like shit flinging monkeys when a book is banned?

Wow, just wow.
  3. Anonymous Member

I picture:

4. STC_sock Member

um, that's how cults work! They inhibit critical thinking.

No-one is listening to RFW. No-one cares what they are saying.
  5. Anonymous Member

in contrast to the Church of Scientology itself, which has a history of abusing copyright laws to suppress discussion and criticism of their scriptures on the internet and charges its members up to $500,000 until they are allowed access to its confidential OT materials.
    [reference to Keith hanson case and other copyright cases]
  6. CarterUSP Member

I'm down wit' dat. ^
    The majority of the high level scilons are less likely to take notice, but lots of public who aren't deep enough in may start asking questions.
    It's little things like this happening that chip away at even the true believers, anything that doesn't fit Ron's ramblings exactly allows the little doubts to creep in slowly.
  7. RightOn Member

that's exactly what I went through.
  8. Anonymous Member

Right. ^ This here. What he said. Duh.
  9. STC_sock Member

I bow to the expertise of the psychiatrists, psychologists & sociologists that were consulted.

No-one bases their opinion on Scientology on the reputation of a group of masked protestors. We're just so irrelevant.

Have you read their report? Have your read all of Hubbards words?
  10. Anonymous Member

"so-called teachings"

?
  11. Anonymous Member

I yield immediately to your knowledge of Russian censorship law.
  12. CarterUSP Member

I tried to but every time I read the confidential stuff I got pneumonia and died.
  13. AnonKat Member

NEED FINAL NEUTRAL BIASED PRESS RELEASE
  14. Anonymous Member

He, she or it isn't talking about the public reputation of Scientology. Cos is talking about the public reputation of us.

If we say "ooooooo, you can't take a video off of the internet" and then "hooray, let's ban some books" then it makes us look like - and I'm going to use a technical term from my PhD in psychology and public relations[1] here - cunts.

[1]Sponsored by Pfizer.
  15. AnonKat Member

THIS FREE SPEECH IS FOR EVERYONE

we say Russian govt is bad= win We say bookbanning is bad = win, books probaly sill banned = dirty win
  16. Anonymous Member

Okay so apparently you're just absolutely retarded and not too interested in reading anyone's words and thinking about them. That's great. Well done.

Once again, I'm talking about the perception of the public. Do you understand what that means? I'm not talking about the perception of scientologists, although that is a peripheral point to this, I'm talking about the perception of the general public.

Who the fuck is talking about the RFW? All of hubbard's words? Who the fuck would want to you stupid little monkey?
  17. Anonymous Member

That too. ;)
  18. Anonymous Member

Reference to Zenon Panoussis is best in my opinion. He announced his rationale of why he was publishing Scientology materials, did so, and CoS went after him and bankrupted him:
    Zenon Panoussis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In my opinion, best reference of CoS' own ruthless censorship
  19. Anonymous Member

Not his fault he's retarded! don't be mean.
  20. mirror neuron Member

Made a few edits (took out what isn't absolutely crucial, added clarification about the nature of Anonymous, tried to avoid sounding unilateral)--also, left it a bit open at the end. Impartial readers will see it as a reasonable position; CoS will understand the impact of "all materials." See what you think, got to go to work:

21. CarterUSP Member

Yup, free speech has to be for everyone. If I really believe in free speech then I have to accept the practice of free speech for those who believe very different things to me, or even that I might find offensive.

It's not so much the LRH books that are dangerous - most rational people reading the crazy stuff in their own time and terms will say no thanks. And if they really want to sign up for a billion years, then that's up to them, it's their right to do so.
    The problem is reading the stuff while being endlessly body routed, regd, sec checked, called up, manipulated and given a constant hard sell. that's wher otherwise rational people get sucked in and controlled.
  22. STC_sock Member

Egotistical much? No-one cares about you. The reputation of anonymous is a giant straw-man.

If you were a rapist and thought Scientology was evil, it wouldn't meant mean that you're wrong & scientology is right.
  23. Anonymous Member

"an internet collective reflecting diverse .... " what was that? sorry, dropped off to sleep in the middle of that sentence.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Anti-Scientology Activists Condemn Russian Censorship

Clearwater, Florida - April 22, 2010 - Anonymous, an internet anti-Scientology group, has expressed support of Scientology's right to freedom of speech.

The statement by Anonymous comes in response to Russian authorities, who recently banned 28 Scientology books which they claim contain calls "to commit crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred" and "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology." These authorities argue that "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred."

"Scientology does not merely assert controversial and irrational beliefs," stated an Anonymous spokesperson, adding, "Scientology practices and, through its belief system, promotes illegal and unconscionable human rights abuses. Anonymous is committed to ending these abuses."

Nevertheless, Anonymous states that "Censorship can only raise Scientology's profile. All Scientology materials should be freely available for public criticism and debate."

Notes for editors

The statement released by Russian prosecutors may be accessed at fiddle-de-dee-dee-dum-dee-daaa

For further comment contact Anonymous at:
    email@example.com
  24. AnonKat Member

Free speech should be for everyone "but not you though, you are stuck in an electronic incident on your whole track....*
  25. Anonymous Member

Offering a little help in editing and syntax:

"Don't ban books" -- Anti-Scientology activists speak out against Russian censorship of L. Ron Hubbard's works.

Clearwater, Florida - April 22, 2010 - The internet activist group, Anonymous, supports Scientology's right to freedom of speech. Founded to oppose Scientology censorship the group supports open access to information.

"Because I totally disagree with everything in Dianetics, I fully support Scientology's right to publish it freely and to make it available to everyone" said one member.

"People all over the world should be able to discover the true absurdity of Hubbard's phony religion. Scientology is a dangerous cult and a threat to society, but forms the greatest threat to its own members." another commented.

Scientology, now a billion-dollar multinational corporation, was invented in 1952 by Lafayette Hubbard, a science-fiction writer whose works include "Typewriters In The Sky", "Beyond The Black Nebula" and "This Ship Kills!"

Russian authorities, banned 28 of Hubbard's books claiming they contain calls "to commit crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred." As well as, "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology." The Russians argue that "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred".

Anonymous believes that "Censorship can only raise Scientology's profile. We believe all Scientology materials should be freely available for public criticism and debate - in contrast to Scientology itself, which charges its followers up to $500,000 for them".

Notes for editors
  26. Gary Pariani Member

This is a triumph.

The best thing in the world would be the removal of hubtards bullshit from the stores.

I cannot say i am against banning hubbard. In fact, it is encouraged.
  27. AnonKat Member

is there to be a video ?
  28. Anonymous Member

Wow. Just wow. you seem to have very little understanding of the importance of public perception in a war of fucking information.

You're on my moonbat list now, just FYI.
  29. Anonymous Member

I don't actually have a PhD in whatever-it-was sponsored by Pfizer, you know. Bit of a joke there.

um ..... erm ... if I were a rapist, I'm with you so far. I think Scientology is evil, OK. Seems to me that I'd be wrong about the one thing (rape) but right about the other (Scientology). Or do I have that backwards?
  30. AnonKat Member

The best thing for the world would be to remove the current pope.
  31. STC_sock Member

Yup, and all that is driven by money.

You guys are going about this the wrong way IMHO. Why don't you try and focus on making Hubbards literature available to every single Russian who wants it? Stick it on a CD-Rom and distribute it. cheap-as-chips.

Then, when the cult goes for the hard-sell, they will be all, like ' I already have those books'.
  32. AnonKat Member

YOU GET IT WE CAN DO BOTH.
  33. mirror neuron Member

Oh, and about mocking the cult, yes, it's one of life's delights, but I'm trying to do so slyly with some irony at the end that will be understood by the cult without distracting outsiders or sounding biased. My opinion, disregard etc., but I think that sarcasm is persuasive mainly to readers who already agree with the writer. Exception would be when argument is so well-constructed that it persuades, and then sarcasm drives it home. But in my opinion Anonymous press releases sometimes overlook that most people are still pretty ignorant about all of this and may be skeptical of arguments that sound emotional or opinionated. Less fun but maybe sharper this way? All I have to say, I'm way late for other things. Good luck with it.
  34. Anonymous Member

I like this version - the start reads well - and I like keeping the comedy sci-fi tech - This Ship Kills!
  35. Anonymous Member

I don't like that you tried to prevent this full-of-wins press release from happening. I'm going to ask the mods to censor you.
  36. Anonymous Member

Man you are so ass backwards it's not even funny anymore. points to calling people egotistical and then having what seems to be your own picture as your av and underneath it "call me flex".... not to mention shitting up an entire thread trying to convince the consensus of many that you're right, and we're wrong.

You've made your point, over and over and over, and you're in the minority of opinion. Get fucking over it.
  37. CarterUSP Member

Nice idea.
    Only problem is even if the Cdrom cost a penny each I don't think I could afford to get them to everyone in Russia.
    But translating OT3 into Russian and getting it viral would be nice.
  38. mirror neuron Member

"an internet collective reflecting diverse .... " what was that? sorry, dropped off to sleep in the middle of that sentence.

Me too, and I was writing it--yours is better. I was in a big hurry.
  39. Anonymous Member

sorry :)
  40. Trouble Moderator

Heh, we should ban him in Russia.

Where is Hicks when you need him?