Customize

Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Anonymous, Apr 22, 2010.

1. auchraw Member

Re: Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

I see the fifth element in the Hacker ethic thing is World Improvement. Show me where the writings of LRH contribute to that?

Anyway we are all free to ponder the ethics - so interesting - and Russia will do as she sees fit.
  2. STC_sock Member

I merely expressed my opinion. I didn't try and stop the press release; it's clear I am in the minority here.
  3. auchraw Member

I disagree that insofar as I indentify with Anonymous words are being put in my mouth. If there never WAS agreement then you can't state that Anonymous says this or feels that. Find some formula that allows for dissent.
  4. AnonKat Member

KNOWLEDGE IS FREE---> KNOWLEDGE SHOULD BE FREE
  5. Anonymous Member

Conclusions so far

Bokeh-boy is wrong

Versions:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Anti-Scientology Activists Condemn Russian Censorship

Clearwater, Florida - April 22, 2010 - Members of Anonymous, an internet collective reflecting diverse views on issues such as free speech and human rights abuses by the Church of Scientology, have expressed support of Scientology's right to freedom of speech.

The statement by some members of Anonymous comes in response to Russian authorities, who recently banned 28 Scientology books which they claim contain calls "to commit crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred" and "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology." These authorities argue that "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred."

Anonymous concurs that Scientology does not merely assert controversial and irrational beliefs. Scientology practices and, through its belief system, promotes illegal and unconscionable human rights abuses. Anonymous is committed to ending these abuses.

Nevertheless, a member of Anonymous states that "Censorship can only raise Scientology's profile. All Scientology materials should be freely available for public criticism and debate."

Notes for editors

The statement released by Russian prosecutors may be accessed at Ãåíåðàëüíàÿ ïðîêóðàòóðà ÐÔ | Íîâîñòè

For further comment contact Anonymous at:
    email@example.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Anti-Scientology Activists Condemn Russian Censorship

Clearwater, Florida - April 22, 2010 - Anonymous, an internet anti-Scientology group, has expressed support of Scientology's right to freedom of speech.

The statement by Anonymous comes in response to Russian authorities, who recently banned 28 Scientology books which they claim contain calls "to commit crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred" and "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology." These authorities argue that "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred."

"Scientology does not merely assert controversial and irrational beliefs," stated an Anonymous spokesperson, adding, "Scientology practices and, through its belief system, promotes illegal and unconscionable human rights abuses. Anonymous is committed to ending these abuses."

Nevertheless, Anonymous states that "Censorship can only raise Scientology's profile. All Scientology materials should be freely available for public criticism and debate."

Notes for editors

The statement released by Russian prosecutors may be accessed at fiddle-de-dee-dee-dum-dee-daaa

For further comment contact Anonymous at:
    email@example.com

"Don't ban books" -- Anti-Scientology activists speak out against Russian censorship of L. Ron Hubbard's works.

Clearwater, Florida - April 22, 2010 - The internet activist group, Anonymous, supports Scientology's right to freedom of speech. Founded to oppose Scientology censorship the group supports open access to information.

"Because I totally disagree with everything in Dianetics, I fully support Scientology's right to publish it freely and to make it available to everyone" said one member.

"People all over the world should be able to discover the true absurdity of Hubbard's phony religion. Scientology is a dangerous cult and a threat to society, but forms the greatest threat to its own members." another commented.

Scientology, now a billion-dollar multinational corporation, was invented in 1952 by Lafayette Hubbard, a science-fiction writer whose works include "Typewriters In The Sky", "Beyond The Black Nebula" and "This Ship Kills!"

Russian authorities, banned 28 of Hubbard's books claiming they contain calls "to commit crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred." As well as, "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology." The Russians argue that "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred".

Anonymous believes that "Censorship can only raise Scientology's profile. We believe all Scientology materials should be freely available for public criticism and debate - in contrast to Scientology itself, which charges its followers up to $500,000 for them".

Notes for editors
  6. Anonymous Member

This is better

7. Anonymous Member

Too complex for a press release. All organisations have internal dissent. The newspaper reader doesn't care.
  8. Anonymous Member

FIFY

This will make Anonymous look like what I sometimes think it is, a lot of nerds who keep their heads nice and warm.
  9. Anonymous Member

Felix, I think he was making a joke about censorship. Perhaps you should have a cup of tea.
  10. AnonKat Member

CHANGE THE I into ONE like I Am ---- >One is
  11. Anonymous Member

KNOWLEDGE IS FREE---> KNOWLEDGE SHOULD BE FREE

anon is not
    NOT NOT NOT
    a fucking failfag ethic Hacker

if oyu want hug trees or kiss whales plz go away
  12. Anonymous Member

nooooooooooooo. it's reported speech, and the only person who speaks that way is the Queen. As far as I know she's not a member.
  13. Anonymous Member

14. Anonymous Member

learn some net.history, kid. start with "information wants to be free".
  15. Anonymous Member

Version 2

(Changing "I" to "One" is not correct)

16. Anonymous Member

I get the sense that people are forgetting it's called rough consensus, not total consensus. As it's been said, it's impossible for us to all agree on this.

Felix: I'm sorry if I took it too far. It is of course your right to voice your dissent whenever you feel it's appropriate.
  17. Ceres Member

Fighting moonbats around the world afaik.

snapshot5.jpeg
  18. Anonymous Member

I think you should be censored for trying to censor Felix.
  19. auchraw Member

My god I agree with felix! Of course we all disapprove of censorship but we must protect the right of the Russian government, which has tried other means to control Scientology within its country, to ban books in order to protect its citizens if it wants to.

No?
  20. AnonKat Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WtHNANZMvY[/ame]
  21. Anonymous Member

dots and commas, mostly

v3

"Don't ban books" -- Anti-Scientology activists speak out against Russian censorship of Hubbard's works.

Clearwater, Florida - April 22, 2010 - The internet activist group, Anonymous, supports Scientology's right to freedom of speech. Founded to oppose Scientology censorship, the group supports open access to information.

"Because I totally disagree with everything in Dianetics, I fully support Scientology's right to publish it freely and to make it available to everyone" said one member.

"People all over the world should be able to discover the true absurdity of Hubbard's phony religion. Scientology is a dangerous cult and a threat to society, but forms the greatest threat to its own members" commented another.

Scientology, now a billion-dollar multinational corporation, was invented in 1952 by Lafayette Hubbard, a science-fiction writer whose works include "Typewriters In The Sky", "Beyond The Black Nebula" and "This Ship Kills!"

Russian authorities banned 28 of Hubbard's books claiming they contain calls "to commit crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred," as well as "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology." The Russians argue that "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred".

Anonymous believes that "Censorship can only raise Scientology's profile. We believe all Scientology materials should be freely available for public criticism and debate - unlike Scientology itself, which believes in charging up to $500,000 for them".

Notes for editors
  22. Anonymous Member

No.
  23. Anonymous Member

s/Scientology censorship/censorship by Scientology/
  24. Anonymous Member

I personally prefer the second one, I don't like the "true absurdity of Hubbard's phony religion" of the first version, it's a value judgment, people can reach their own conclusions.

25. Anonymous Member

nothing wrong with including a value judgement in a press release - we do have to set out our 'Scientology Is Bad' stand.

normal practise is to include the more contentious stuff as reported speech - a spokesman today said, "the president is an asshole" - even if the spokesman's stakement is just being invented for the press release - which is what we've done.
  26. fisherman Member

V2 includes reference to Anonymous opposition to Scientology censorship and is a little better. V3 also O.K.
  27. ObamAnon Member

No, you wont.
  28. fisherman Member

Read it again, V2 - Roll with it!

29. Anonymous Member

V2.1 ('censorship by Scientology')

"Don't ban books" -- Anti-Scientology activists speak out against Russian censorship of L. Ron
    Hubbard's works.

Clearwater, Florida - April 22, 2010 - The internet activist group, Anonymous, supports Scientology's right to freedom of speech. Founded to oppose censorship by Scientology, the group supports open access to information.

"People all over the world should be able to discover the true absurdity of Hubbard's phony religion. Scientology is a dangerous cult and a threat to society, but forms the greatest threat to its own members." another commented.

Russian authorities, banned 28 of Hubbard's books claiming they contain calls "to commit crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred." As well as, "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology." The Russians argue that "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred".

Anonymous believes that "Censorship can only raise Scientology's profile. We believe all Scientology materials should be freely available for public criticism and debate - in contrast to Scientology itself, which charges its followers up to $500,000 for them".

Notes for editors

Blah blah blah.

30. Anonymous Member

"true absurdity of Hubbard's phony religion" can also apply to other religions, so I don't think it is good.

Scientology is being opposed because of its built-in doctrines of censoring those who point out at the absurdity and abuses.
  31. Anonymous Member

True.

I'd still like to make the point that if people actually read this stuff without brainwashing then they realise it's bollocks. To fit with the 'don't-censor' theme.
  32. fisherman Member

V2.1 looks good to me.

Concise and punchy. Holds interest. I like the subtle humor in the "Typewriters in the Sky" paragraph. Nice!

33. Anonymous Member

34. fisherman Member

BTW: The last several versions have been perfectly fine. I'm always in favor of honing, but you can reach a point of overworking it. Don't get too hung up on subtleties. It's a press release and the press will edit it as they see fit. Get the foundation down -- and send it out!
  35. CarterUSP Member

I agree. it's nice.
  36. Anonymous Member

And in that very spirit ;) I have a freshly copy-edited Version 2.2:

"Don't ban books" -- Anti-Scientology activists speak out against Russian censorship of L. Ron Hubbard's works.

Clearwater, Florida - April 22, 2010 - The internet activist group, Anonymous, supports Scientology's right to freedom of speech. Founded to oppose censorship by Scientology, the group supports open access to information.

"People all over the world should be able to discover the true absurdity of Hubbard's phony religion. Scientology is a dangerous cult and a threat to society, but forms the greatest threat to its own members" another commented.

Russian authorities have banned 28 of Hubbard's books which they claim contain calls "to commit crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred" and "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology." The Russians argue that "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred".

Notes for editors

Blah blah blah.
  37. ObamAnon Member

Indeed. I approve of this.
  38. fisherman Member

It's great!

If you want to get really picky, you could lose a couple of extraneous words in paragraph six:

39. Anonymous Member

No! - I thought you were pro-ban?
  40. fisherman Member

Hmmmm... that didn't format like I expected. Let me underline the words that could be edited out:

Russian authorities have banned 28 of Hubbard's books which they claim contain call [s "to commit crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred" and "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology." The Russians argue that "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred".