Customize

Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Anonymous, Apr 22, 2010.

1. fisherman Member

Re: Press Release: Anon condemns Russia's banning of Scientology books

Or if you prefer:

paragraph 6

2. Anonymous Member

My take, for those who care.

I don't like the current versions. It's too obvious that we are using this as an opportunity to spread negative information about Scientology, rather than protect free speech.

It should be about free speech and it could be as short and simple as:

"In response to the decision of Russian authorities to ban 28 books by L Ron Hubbard, we would like to emphasize that banning books is wrong. It violates freedom of speech.

That is all"

In my view a much more honest and anony approach than the hypocritical we're-pretending-to-protect-the-poos-scilons-rights-we-we-can't-hide-that-we-are-secretly-sniggering-about-it-press-release. But than again, I am known to have weird opininos occasionally, so shoot me.
  3. Anonymous Member

I'm honest when I express my opinion that censoring an organization built on censorship is the wrong way to go.
  4. Anonymous Member

Exactly.
  5. fisherman Member

It's fine. The press will edit it for us as they see fit.
  6. CarterUSP Member

Could we add
    "Hubbard was a pill poppin, rum swiggin, wife beatin, friend cheatin, check bouncin, ass wobblin, race hatin, goat bombin, homophoci, coke sniffin, chain smokin, salad quizzin, warrant dodgin no good conman" in there somewhere.
    No?
    Just a thought
  7. AnonKat Member

Make vid in russian ? lol
  8. fisherman Member

LOL!

That would be nice, but possibly a little over the top. :)

It's really fine as it is -- now we need every one to help get it out.

A press release IS a PR effort! It's intended to spread the message. No need to beat it to death.
  9. ObamAnon Member

Last paragraph:

my idea is just to insert a little something to let the the world know Anonymous is distributing stuff the Scilons dont want to get out.
  10. Anonymous Member

enjoys a good snigger now and again.
  11. JMBrandon Member

how about....
    if Scientology wants to keep selling these books they're required to slap a big, red, warning label that says "WARNING: CONTENTS INCLUDE EXTREMIST CULT-LIKE MATERIAL"

of course, the same said for ALL books containing elitist material.
  12. fisherman Member

ObamAnon wrote:

Also fine, but may be trying to squeeze in too much. Is that point something we really try to advertise? Serious question.

All these final renditions work. I'm surprised this collective editing has gone as well as it has. Nice improvements from the start. Send it out!
  13. Anonymous Member

yes!

Anonymous believes that "Censorship can only raise Scientology's profile. All Scientology materials should be freely available for public criticism and debate, and this is why we will continue to publish Scientology's secret texts, for which the cult charges its followers up to $500,000."
  14. Ceres Member

Or just let the reader of said book make up their own mind?
  15. Anonymous Member

you'll need to find Hicks I think?
  16. Anon123456 Member

yeah we better have hicks approve this guys.
  17. Anonymous Member

So latest version - version 2.3

"Don't ban books" -- Anti-Scientology activists speak out against Russian censorship of L. Ron Hubbard's works.

Clearwater, Florida - April 22, 2010 - The internet activist group, Anonymous, supports Scientology's right to freedom of speech. Founded to oppose censorship by Scientology, the group supports open access to information.

"Because I totally disagree with everything in Dianetics, I fully support Scientology's right to publish it freely and to make it available to everyone" said one member.

"People all over the world should be able to discover the true absurdity of Hubbard's phony religion. Scientology is a dangerous cult and a threat to society, but forms the greatest threat to its own members" another commented.

Scientology, now a billion-dollar multinational corporation, was invented in 1952 by Lafayette Hubbard, a science-fiction writer whose works include "Typewriters In The Sky", "Beyond The Black Nebula" and "This Ship Kills!"

Russian authorities have banned 28 of Hubbard's books which they claim call for "crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred" and contain "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology." The Russians argue "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred".

Anonymous believes that "Censorship can only raise Scientology's profile. All Scientology materials should be freely available for public criticism and debate, and this is why we will continue to publish Scientology's secret texts, for which the cult charges its followers up to $500,000."

Notes for editors

Blah blah blah.

or the minimalist option:

"In response to the decision of Russian authorities to ban 28 books by L Ron Hubbard, we would like to emphasize that banning books is wrong. It violates freedom of speech."
  18. ObamAnon Member

Version 2.3 - go go go
  19. fisherman Member

V2.3

The minimalist option is mistake. I don't object to the sentiment, but it's not the way press releases work. Generally you write LONG, using concise, self contained paragraphs, so that any way the press chops the text -- it still works.

The existing long version does that quite well and it's still MUCH shorter than a typical press release. No big deal, but fyi, I've done these before and this one really is a good balance.
  20. fisherman Member

As stated V2.3 text is solid, however

Point of Information: If we adopt Obamanon's "this is why we will continue to publish Scientology's secret texts..."

Are we not admitting to illegally distributing copyrighted materials? If so, is that what we want in a PR?

Sincere question. I don't know the answer.
  21. Random guy Member

Yes, but this ultimately about the reputation of the CoS, and it is about our own amusement. It is FUN sitting on the bleeding big white horse and look down on the cult. Remember: "... and for our own amusement, ..."
  22. Anonymous Member

While the LRH books themselves might not contribute to world improvement, making them freely accessible for everyone does. Banning them doesn't improve the world one bit.
  23. AnonKat Member

This is why we continue to SUPPORT .......

or we go with that non of it has copyright at all.

or sit on the seat of journalism. The people have a right to know
  24. Anonymous Member

ah. bollosks. you might be right there.
  25. ObamAnon Member

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I think the answers are yes and yes.
  26. AIN Member

Anonymous has always been grey hats
  27. Anonymous Member

That was my first reaction too - after all, are we an Internet Hake Group or aren't we? - but we don't want to give the Scilons legal justification to go after WWP.
  28. fisherman Member

AnonKat, I'm not quite sure what your suggesting.

If your proposing something like, "that is why we continue to support the free distribution of Hubbard's works..." that's fine, it works. I like Obamanon's sentiment, but it's not a critical point in objecting to Russian censorship.

In or out --, so long as we stay legal - it works either way.

29. Anonymous Member

Version 2.4 ('Gertrude')

"Don't ban books" -- Anti-Scientology activists speak out against Russian censorship of L. Ron Hubbard's works.

Clearwater, Florida - April 22, 2010 - The internet activist group, Anonymous, supports Scientology's right to freedom of speech. Founded to oppose censorship by Scientology, the group supports open access to information.

"Because I totally disagree with everything in Dianetics, I fully support Scientology's right to publish it freely and to make it available to everyone" said one member.

"People all over the world should be able to discover the true absurdity of Hubbard's phony religion. Scientology is a dangerous cult and a threat to society, but forms the greatest threat to its own members" another commented.

Scientology, now a billion-dollar multinational corporation, was invented in 1952 by Lafayette Hubbard, a science-fiction writer whose works include "Typewriters In The Sky", "Beyond The Black Nebula" and "This Ship Kills!"

Russian authorities have banned 28 of Hubbard's books which they claim call for "crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred" and contain "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology." The Russians argue "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred".

Anonymous believes that "Censorship can only raise Scientology's profile. All Scientology materials should be freely available for public criticism and debate, and this is why we will continue to support the online publication of Scientology's secret texts, for which the cult charges its followers up to $500,000."

Notes for editors

Blah blah blah.
  30. Anonymous Member

Oh just release the damn thing already. Story will be to old and no one will care. And it should get out before the scilons respond to anything.
  31. Anonymous Member

I don't know about that
    Can anyone really say "billion-dollar multinational"? It's pure speculation, and lulzy when so many here also say CoS is broke.

"invented in 1952", not so, Scientology writings have been piling up over decades.

"Typewriters In The Sky", "Beyond The Black Nebula" and "This Ship Kills!"... What is this, an ad for Author Services?
  32. fisherman Member

Version 2.4 ('Gertrude')

I think it's great! Very nice effort!

It's solid, but here's syntactical nitpicking for the final paragraph. Below is my completed edit, which encompasses the minor changes I underlined in your longer draft. All good, nice work!

33. Anonymous Member

hooray!

now please can the Powers That Be release it into the wild?
  34. WagTheWog Member

Nice job guise!
  35. CarterUSP Member

Is this thing ever going to be finished?
    Don't know if its the same anons posting anonymously again and again or if every dude or dudette with an internet connection is waltzing in, suggesting some changes then waltzing out again.
    I think it's fine. Can't please everyone. As long as it's: 1) true 2) concise 3) legal, it's all good.
  36. Sponge Member

Throw in a plug to wikileaks in the last paragraph perhaps?
  37. Crappy Member

Release Gertrude!

4197085339_14a6f5caa7_o.jpg
  38. fisherman Member

Sponge,

Since no other references are made in the body text, it might be better to plug wikileaks underneath in the "note for editiors." Better to leave the "battle cry" unsullied, but I agree a wikileaks plug fits the occasion.
  39. Anonymous Member

Also don't like using the word "scriptures" as it gives the impression that LRH dog shit writing is considered holy.
  40. AnonKat Member

writings is neutral