Customize

Press Release: The Religious Persecution of Gregg Housh

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by avatar2008, Apr 30, 2008.

1. avatar2008 Member

Press Release: The Religious Persecution of Gregg Housh

Related to Breaking News: Gregg to go jury trial for criminal haressment
    and Operation Shitstorm

We needs Press Release to send to news media, blogs, YT vids and Petitions.

If you are non-USA citizen, send this to your embassy as well as MP/Senator. This attack on the beliefs of individuals via the state originating from organisations is not new. Spanish Inquistion...

I'll start:
  2. Anon23517 Member

Re: Press Release: The Religious Persecution of Gregg Housh

Took yours and added to it. :)

Scientology Uses The State To Prosecute Its Critics.

TODAY Gregg Housh, a former member of Anonymous is to go to trial for criminal harassment, a crime with penalty of XX years.

On [insert date], Mr. Housh and a group of protestors were handing out fliers along [Street name, location]. While the group entered the premises of [Scientology address], Mr. Housh remained outside of the property on the footpath. At no point did Mr. Housh enter the property despite the advertisement stating that everyone was welcome to enter. According to video evidence taken by a witness and cameraman for the event that day, Mr. Housh was not a part of a group that entered the premises of the Church of Scientology, Boston to hand out flyers to people within the reception area.

Mr. Housh was singled out for litigation due to having placed his name on the register for filing a permit to protest. The file and the protests were all peaceful and legal.

The Church of Scientology chose to litigate against Mr. Housh due to having his name from public records of the filing for permits. They allege that Mr. Housh is guilty of criminal harassment. Mr. Housh was only excercising his constitutional right to protest peacefully and at no time did he commit any acts of harassment, criminal or otherwise.

On the day of the alleged harassment, Mr. Housh was outside of the premises. He remained on the footpath which is a public walkway and not private property. He committed no acts of harassment. He excercised his rights as a citizen of the United States of America to peaceful protest and disemination of written material.

The Church of Scientology believe truth is irrelevant when it comes to critics. The Church of Scientology refer to critics as Suppressive Persons (SPs). The Gerry Armstrong Affidavit [link] states, "[...] Organization's "Fair Game Policy," which states specifically that they [SP's] may be lied to, cheated, sued and destroyed without discipline of the Scientologist committing such acts."

In short, Scientology advocates the persecution of individuals for beliefs that do not subscribe to those of the Church.

This attempt by the Church of Scientology to litigate against Mr. Housh will, if successful, mean that Mr. Housh will lose his freedom for his belief that the Church of Scientology is a criminal organisation should the jury decide in the DA's favor.

The US Supreme Court's decision in NAACP v Alabma [link] states "[...] Compelled disclosure of membership in an organization engaged in advocacy of particular beliefs is of the same order. Inviolability of privacy in group association may in many circumstances be indispensable to preservation of freedom of association, particularly where a group espouses dissident beliefs. Cf. United States v. Rumely, supra, at 345 U. S. 56-58 (concurring opinion).

We think that the production order, in the respects here drawn in question, must be regarded as entailing the likelihood of a substantial restraint upon the exercise by petitioner's members of their right to freedom of association. Petitioner has made an uncontroverted showing that, on past occasions, revelation of the identity of its rank-and-file members has exposed these members to economic reprisal, loss of employment, threat of physical coercion, and other manifestations of public hostility. Under these circumstances, we think it apparent that compelled disclosure of petitioner's Alabama membership is likely to affect adversely the ability of petitioner and its members to pursue their collective effort to foster beliefs which they admittedly have the right to advocate, in that it may induce members to withdraw from the Association and dissuade others from joining it because of fear of exposure of their beliefs shown through their associations and of the consequences of this exposure."

By this ruling of the Supreme Court, it is very clear that groups have the right to assemble anonymously when in fear of retribution or retaliation. In Mr. Housh's case, this is exactly what the Church of Scientoloy hope to overturn - the right to peacefully assemble and protest anonymously. It is for this very reason and due to the Church of Scientology's notoriously litigious reputation, that Mr. Housh's companions remained anonymous. Now that Mr. Housh is no longer anonymous due to having placed his name on public record for protest permits, the Church of Scientology seeks to take away the constitutional rights which he is granted as a citizen of the United States.
  3. anonh2078 Member

Press Release Final Edit

(y'all need to realize press releases need to be -short- and not include html)

For Immediate Release:
    Church of Scientology Abuses Legal System to Silence Boston Critic.

Gregg Housh, a member of the Activist group known as Anonymous is set go to trial on Criminal Harassment charges with a pre-trial hearing set for May 29th. Mr. Housh has been singled out for litigation due to his registering the Boston protest permits. The Church of Scientology alleges that Mr. Housh is guilty of criminal harassment due these entirely legal protests.

On March 1st 2008, Mr. Housh and a group of protesters were handing out fliers in downtown Boston to publicize an upcoming protest scheduled for March 15th. A small group entered the premises of 448 Beacon St, the Church of Scientology building to distribute information on the upcoming protest. This was to inform the Church of Scientology that a demonstration would be taking place outside so that the Church of Scientology could plan accordingly as well as inform their parishioners. Mr. Housh remained outside of the property on the footpath throughout the duration. However the Church of Scientology has twisted and maligned this courteous gesture and has instead decided that these actions constitute as Criminal Harassment. This attempt by the Church of Scientology to litigate against Mr. Housh, if successful, will mean that Mr. Housh will lose his freedom to exercise his First Amendment right. This will set a dangerous precedent for any and all individuals wishing to peacefully and legally speak out against any organization.

The Church of Scientology is trying to claim that the concealing of identities during the protests is grounds for harassment, citing the protesters concealed faces as threatening or intimidating. However, as previously stated to the media, Anonymous members choose to shield their identities due to the Church of Scientology's history of harassment of critics, both through and outside the US Judicial System. Previous critics of the Church of Scientology who have faced legal repercussions include Joan Wood, Bob Minton, and Time Magazine. This does not include the harassment of critics such as Mark Bunker, Paulette Cooper, and Tory Christman.

The US Supreme Court's decision in NAACP v. Alabama (Docket: 91 Citation: 357 U.S. 449)unanimously held that a compelled disclosure of the NAACP's membership lists would have the effect of suppressing legal association among the group's members. By this ruling of the Supreme Court, it is very clear that groups have the right to assemble anonymously when in fear of retribution or retaliation. In Mr. Housh's case, this is exactly what the Church of Scientoloy hope to overturn - the right to peacefully assemble and protest anonymously. Now that Mr. Housh is no longer anonymous due to having placed his name on public record, the Church of Scientology seeks to take away the constitutional rights which he is granted as a citizen of the United States.

This travesty of justice and abuse of our legal system cannot go unnoticed by the media as the outcome of this trial may affect every United States citizen. Gregg Housh can be reached directly for comment at ___________________

###
  4. CVAnonymous Member

Actually, IMHO, we should have two versions of each press release. One to go to print media (no html) and one for online media (html fine). Again, just my opinion.

I agree that they need to be shorter than they have been. It's difficult to do that when you're doing it collaboratively, though, because everyone's ideas are being considered.
  5. BagAnon Member

Re: Press Release Final Edit

If you'll allow me to contribute an edit;

One piece of general advice -- can we find a better poster boy for the "vindictive legal repercussions" than Bob Minton? I wiki'd him and the first thing I saw was Nigeria and fraud, and I have to admit I paused at that and doubted his credibility. Whoever we send this to should get names that won't do that when they look them up.

Also the Supreme Court thing might not be so clear in light of this; http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-breaking-news/jury-trial-here-i-come-11828/13/#post222534
  6. i'mglib Member

Baganon, I agree, leave out Bob Minton, since he is no longer a critic. I'm not sure Tory is a good example, either, because she hasn't suffered as much as some others.

I would use Arnie Lerma, whose house was searched and computer and other documents taken, as well as Graham Barry, who was bankrupted, smeared, and is still being harrassed to this day by Ken "The Snake" Moxon. Perhaps instead of Time Magazine, say Time Magazine writer Richard Behar, author of "Scientology: Cult of Greed".
    Maybe BBC reporter John Sweeney ("Scientology and Me") could go in there for good measure (though you don't want to overkill).

So, that would be:

Previous critics of the Church of Scientology who have faced vindictive legal repercussions include former Pasco-Pinellas Medical Examiner Joan Wood, author Paulette Cooper ("The Scandal of Scientology"), Time Magazine writer Richard Behar ("Scientology: Cult of Greed"), BBC reporter John Sweeney ("Scientology and Me"), attorney Graham E. Barry, ex-scientologist Arnie Lerma, and many others.

Otherwise, I think your letter is good.
  7. Re: Press Release: The Religious Persecution of Gregg Housh

Don't forget Bonnie Woods, even though it was in the UK she's an American and more importantly she WON her lawsuit against Scientology for libeling her.
  8. BagAnon Member

i'mglib, the only thing about your re-edit is that I made a point of dividing the critics between those who have been harassed legally and those who have been harassed extralegally. Paulette Cooper was not a victim of "vindictive legal repercussions," she was framed, illegally.
  9. MellowDee Member

I dont know if this is too late or not, but I would use the word "assemble" (as it is in the bill of rights) instead of "protest". The word "protest" gives people a feeling of negativity...
  10. Consensus Member

To my knowledge, we haven't sent anything out yet. Not too late. I think we have 10 more days until the pre-trial stuff. And that's when the media will want to pay attention. So I'd say we have 5 days to put together a top-notch press release.

Even if we have sent something out, it would be wise to follow it up as the trial approaches.

(I have to confess, I've not been following this particular story too much)