Customize

Prism releated boycott ideas thread.

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by tinfoilhatter, Apr 2, 2014.

1. tinfoilhatter Member

Due to leaked documents about the monetary nature of prism and the business relationship between the data provides, Google, yahoo, and other tech companies, I believe that the best way to bring about any sort of positive change is via a boycott. The companies involved in the spying are not going to stop, because they are essentially double dipping, they are selling their services to the people AND getting free money to let the government monitor and spy. The only way to stop this, is to make it unprofitable for them. Otherwise, it WILL NOT STOP.

Because of this, i believe that boycotts are the only option. However, getting the general public to participate is not going to be easy at all.

The best way i can think of, is to demonstrate an economic benefit for the general public to participate in the boycotts. Seeing as the recovery is very sluggish, this would be the easiest, quickest avenue to take.

IF this idea has any merit, then boycott ideas will begin to appear in this thread, otherwise, i think we will be very hard pressed to stop this, simply because of the huge amount of tax payer money that is being given to companies who participate in this. They have NO incentive to stop, and HUGE monetary incentives to keep the program going.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. tinfoilhatter Member

My first idea is to encourage cell phone data usage boycotts. Smart phone data is a huge money maker for many different companies, from apple to the telecoms. a 70 dollar a month plan over two years, will bring in $1680 us dollars. Thus, drop in data subscription would net a huge loss to telecoms.

Because of the huge costs to consumers, this would also be an easier boycott to promote. By pointing out how much money they are spending on their data, we demonstrate that their data usage is VALUABLE, and as such should not be abused by the companies that are selling this service.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. rickybobby Member

I am having a hard enough time trying to get people to STOP USING GOOGLE. I tell them to use Duck Duck Go, Startpage or Ixquick, but nooooooooooooo...... what do they do? Go straight to Google. Sigh. And there is no way I could get them to migrate their email to a more privacy oriented provider.

I would like to see people stop searching with Google, Yahoo and Bing, for a start.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. laughingsock Member

I'm getting the "why did you unfriend me" treatment, then i say i didn't i just don't use Facebook any more..crickets ensue.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. tinfoilhatter Member

I forgot all about start page!! i have had better luck with it in the past when i was "researching documentaries" . I need to start using in more.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Andy Downs Member

If you need a good docfilm check 58November.com
    We should be shooting again soon
  7. tinfoilhatter Member

Black robs thread is a great way to ween people off of facebook. I show that to people all the time. their first response is "holy fucking shit!!!!, that cult is fucking nuts"
    This also makes them question the security of facebook.

The other thing too, is that dumb facebook posts WILL keep you from getting a good job. Employers look at those now. And Too often someone i know will lose a job prospect because they bragged about a tattoo(non-visible under work clothes), only to not get the job due to the no tattoo policies of the places they applied for.

Facebook can keep you from being hired, for the stupidest reasons.
    • Like Like x 4