Customize

Project Andromeda - Viral marketing through YouFoundTheCard.com

Discussion in 'Projects' started by TakeAnonMe, May 15, 2008.

1. Re: Project Andromeda - Viral marketing through YouFoundTheCard.com

I use microsoft word. Low tech old people FTW!
  2. Re: Project Andromeda - Viral marketing through YouFoundTheCard.com

Ok, I have just printed out my first-ever batch of cards using a design by N. Onymous and I'm looking forward to getting the word out! Will report back!
  3. AnonyFag Member

Re: Project Andromeda - Viral marketing through YouFoundTheCard.com

/facepalm...

Well, I happen to be usig OpenOffice as well... :-/
  4. Ever_Anon Member

Me too. I'm low-tech because I fail at designing things...:flop:

Word has some pretty nice templates, though, so I can't complain about that.
  5. Bane Member

I print out the free ones cut them up and put them in random places!
  6. Ever_Anon Member

Today I went to a Bookstore and stuck some cards in one of Lol Ron Hubbard's scientology books, but the others were sealed up so I had to stick the cards in between the books.

Has anyone else run into this? I just think it's horrible that, basically, people HAVE to give money to scientology even just to find out what it's about from the books. Hopefully my cards deterred that.
  7. JFawkeson Member

When I carded my local bookstore, they didn't even carry dianetics. They just had his other scifi stuff, which I carded heavily. I know my local library has everything. I've really got to get down there soon.
  8. freedomlover Member

Microsoft Office isn't high-tech, it's brand-name. Simply using a competing program doesn't mean you're low-tech (especially if the alternative is several hundred dollars), and is actually good for the economy because it forces Microsoft to come up with something better to compete with it.
  9. AnonyFag Member

Back on target here... Does anyone have one of those stores in town where you can trade in old CDs? You bring in X number of CDs and you get credit towards getting something more with the times?

I've taken to putting a YFTC inside the front album liners of the CD covers when I go to trade in my CDs.... The clerks hardly ever remove the front cover of the CD, and it sits like a ztime bomb, waiting for someone to buy and discover it. Remember; your shit taste in music is always someone else's passion...
  10. cubby Member

[STRIKE]tract-[/STRIKE]card-dropping tips from jack chick:

vacation.gif
  11. CrazyEyes Member

Awesome ideas!

Now I just have to get some cards to leave in all those places. >_<
  12. Ever_Anon Member

Great ideas!

I bought a package of index cards, and write the URLs on the cards. They work in a pinch if you don't have business cards, as long as nobody reads over your shoulder while you make them.
  13. Gigazz Member

Guys I'm having a hell of a time trying to print cards. I've got some business cards, 2" by 3.5", and I load up a template in Word 2000...and then when I edit it, the tables go wonky. Sometimes I can't edit the background image either, so wtf. I'm not very savvy with this 'table' stuff anyway, so it's got me all turned about.

Can anyone hook me up with a Word-friendly youfoundthecard.com template?
  14. JFawkeson Member

So... I think I'm going to have to do a little redesigning for my cards. Saw a guy pick one up and go 'You found the card? I don't get it.' He put it back down, but the girl he was with said 'I think you're supposed to go there (the site).' Hopefully she at least will remember the site and look it up, or maybe run into one of my other cards along their route. I've not much hope for idiot boy. Anyway, I'm probably going to add the lovely explanatory word 'visit' before the addy. Can't help but be reminded of the unfortunate need for HOT COFFEE IS HOT warnings on coffee cups. Off to make my cards a bit more idiot proof, then.
  15. SciFITOlogy Member

I made get out of cult free credit cards and have been sticking them everywhere
  16. JFawkeson Member

Oh, fuck yes. That's the ticket! Maybe not as idiot proof as what I was imagining, but damn, if it isn't lulzier. (Gee, that doesn't look right. Moar lulzy maybe?) Someone's bound to pick up one of those and keep it.

Are Monopoly get out of jail free cards goldenrod? 'Cause seriously... lulz.
  17. AnonyFag Member

Actually, now that you mention it, I believe they are.
  18. wat Member

A fingerprint on the cards is not a big deal right? I'm not inking them or anything, I just need to know if I should use gloves. Kind of paranoid, lol.
  19. Echo Member

Over 160 throughout my local library (kinda smal) while I was waiting for a conference to start and all over the place at this summer program I am forced to attend. When they adressed the people about the cards, I slipped a "Why do I protest" into the managers binder.
  20. Mango Member

Managed to slip a card into the back pocket of some guy when behind him on an escalator. Not loling as he walked off was hard.

Need to remember to take blutack with me at all times, some toilets and other places have no where to wedge the card into.
  21. Mango Member

They asked who had spread the cards around? Nice going with the flyer! I hope you got the word out. :)
  22. Echo Member

The SLC main library is friggin impossible. I spent 1 and 1/2 hours just putiing cards in all of LRH's books ( my fav way is a card in the front cover, 2 more in the meat of the book, and one scotch taped to the cover). I also found this like 1'8" by 1' leatherbound monstrobook called something like "The practices, history, religion, locations, beliefs, and rituals of scientology" that was like 1500 pages long. I am planning on going back tomorrow because I dont want to go print off more cards again as I went through about 200. That's not even mentioning for when I want to put random ones all over the place. Well, this is going to be fun. :twisted:
  23. HeavenlySins Member

LOL! I found a bunch of CoS books in a used book store a few months ago (each for $1.50 and some still in shrinkwrap) so I inserted cards into each of them, and between them making sure one was just visible if you were reaching for the shelf. I checked on them from time to time noticing that some cards were taken (which I replaced), but not the books. Last time I went, there were NO scientology or diantetics books in the store!

Either they took it down or somebody bought about 10 hard back LRH books stuffed with YTFC cards. Either way, WIN!
  24. HeavenlySins Member

Sorry for the double post (not that anyone reads this thread anymore), but I had a separate thought.

Big box electronics stores (like Best Buy and Circuit City) are great places for cards. Planting cards inside most of the boxes there increases the odds that:
    1. the card will be taken home
    2. the card will at least be noticed
    3. the person has a computer nearby when they notice the card
    4. the reader has access to the net (especially if placed in boxes of MMORPGs)

The way I see it, the effectiveness of a card depends on these 4 conditions generally.

The problem with bathrooms is, well put it like this, when was the last time you saw something (anything) in a public bathroom that you wanted to pick up and take home? Some people may remember the url and look it up when they next go online, but I don't think most people have that kind of attention span.

Of course, as usual, I'm probably over analyzing the whole thing. I could go further in depth, but it's 5 and time to leave the office. Besides, I bet I've already lost your attention.
  25. Re: Project Andromeda - Viral marketing through YouFoundTheCard.com

Been hitting comics stores, personally.

Seems like the right crowd to me.
  26. Vir Member

New address for Andromeda in Japan: XENU.JP and M.XENU.JP (mobile)

There is a QR code on the site which you can print on cards.
  27. JFawkeson Member

BUMP for the n00bs.
  28. ARC Member

29. FUCK Member

Bump this thread for epic win.
  30. Namenlos Member

For people doing the business cards, DCP have some good offers.

dcp-print.co.uk/
    dcp-print.ca
    dcp-print.biz
    dcp-print.com

I'm probably going to do this myself.

(x-posted to HAI GUYZ! Business card like PSD's.)
  31. Re: Project Andromeda - Viral marketing through YouFoundTheCard.com

as if now im on board working on some win.
  32. Namenlos Member

I designed a new card for those who can only afford to pay for one side of a business card,

For Vista Print
    For DCP-Print

Ordered 250 of each. 21 day shipping is only a couple of quid, so I'll be happily distributing before long.

x-posted again.
  33. Archangel6606 Member

so what websites offer cheap card printing? im down here in Melb and a student with no job and no life. the cash just flows in *insert sarcasm*

so any like free bunches or cheap deals you know of?
  34. cubby Member

vistaprint.com you can usually get 500 cards free if you pay about $5 shipping. for a little more you can upload your own designs, get different features.

they offer a lot of different supplies, and a lot of free offers.
  35. Vir Member

36. Fallenanon Member

i love this idea.. i work at a store i can write youfoundthecard.com on a ton of 1$ bills all day long..
  37. Re: Project Andromeda - Viral marketing through YouFoundTheCard.com

try youfoundthecash.com
  38. DiaSciRev Member

RedShirt and I just had a successful raid last week; YFTC'd all the Scieno books, and dropped a book entitled 'Cults' on the shelf with the rest of them.
  39. cubby Member

yeahhh that

cash1.jpg.gif
  40. Avtomat Member

Today I hit up several magazines in a walmart. And taped cards to all the copes of Valkyre I could find.

I walked up to a cop and gave one to him. :D