Customize

Quebec student protests explained

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Jeff Jacobsen, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Jacobsen Member

http://truth-out.org/articles/item/...ment-and-the-power-of-the-radical-imagination

"The Occupy movement began with a slogan about the 99%, but it lacked the student unions, organizational skills, and sustainable strategies employed by Quebec youth. Of course, the system of higher education in the United States is more complex given its mix of public and private universities, but this should not prevent the emergence of massive and shared organizational initiatives to develop student organizations at local, state, and national levels."

This is a long but useful article on how he student movement against tuition hikes turned into a society-wide complaint about how the economic and governmental powers were throwing most people into debt and an unstable future for the sake of the wealthy and connected. It discusses how they organized, promoted and presented their complaints, and showed how their complaints represented the ailment of society as a whole.
  2. Archer Member

This article doesn't tell how they also advocated vandalism of property that belonged to private individuals (even to the point of their leaders refusing to condemn it publicly) and the intimidation of those students who were against their strike.
    Sincerly,
    Someone who lives here.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

Hi Archer, these things happens, by undesirable fractions or even LE infiltrators (proven). The majority and the organizers will always help to prevent and deal with it. Protest is a right in a democratic society. These moot incidents will not end protests, and will never be excuses to end protests.
  4. Jeff Jacobsen Member

vandalism is stupid at any time, but especially when it ruins an attempt to get a point across at a protest. I think the best thing to do is plan ahead; 1) inform the authorities that any vandalism goes against the protest plans and you will even help catch vandals, and 2) plan ahead to isolate and shame anyone who does vandalism. Put THEM on youtube as much as any cops who do wrong.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Anonymous Member

DOX or STFU.
  6. Archer Member

What about the student leaders publicly encouraging it? And refusing categorically to condemn it?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Archer Member

Couldn't agree more
  8. Archer Member

Are you willing to accept dox in french?
  9. Anonymous Member

You have to prove they are the "leaders". But if one have the right reasons, overthrow the regime if that need to be. Power to the people!
  10. Archer Member

Prove that they are the leaders? Really? You do realise that this conflict was innitiated by student unions who have identified public leaders and that they voted to go on strike right?
  11. Anonymous Member

Prove - meaning I don't take your words for anything.
  12. Archer Member

If you knew anything about the situation you would already know the answer though, this is one of those very evident things. I can't believe I have to explain such basic things to you. It really shows how little you know about the situation, therefore making your opinion less valid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Quebec_student_protests

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Nadeau-Dubois
    5eCaX.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fédération_étudiante_universitaire_du_Québec
  13. Archer Member

Good question
  14. Thread moved to Off Topic.
  15. Anonymous Member

TL;DR summary: students want something for nothing (communism?) and see this as an opportunity to smash shit.

Also, smashing windows and spraying walls in their schools *is* vandalism and *was* encouraged by their unions. Continued disrupting of others' classes (even though the majority of students voted to END this nonsense) should be punishable by severe beatdown by those affected, and all vandalism-caused damages should be put on the tuition fee in those CEGEPs and unis that participated in the whole nonsense.

SRSly, expel every fucker seen wearing a red square, leave the education to those who appreciate it. Problem solved.
  16. First there is mod exodus, next mod became biased. Then mod became garbage.
  17. Anonymous Member

Wat???
  18. AnonInsight Member

I don't see any bias from Jacky Blue Note's decision, please define your bias accusation ?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. RavenEyes Member

Stop being so biased, Insight. :p (You, too, JBN.)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. anonymous612 Member

The thread was moved because it was in a Scientology section and had nothing to do with Scientology. Get the stick out of your ass.

That being said, I always thought JBN was horribly, horribly, horribly biased. It's shameful, really. Truly shameful. I'm disappointed in you, Jacky.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. Anonymous Member

You state "Biased". Don't you mean "civil"?
  22. anonymous612 Member

Sarcasm isn't funny when you make me have to explain it to you.
  23. AnonInsight Member

Thread Closed (derailed of original topic)
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.