Customize

Recognizing, Preventing, and Reporting Child Abuse

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by FloGold, May 12, 2013.

1. FloGold Moderator

Child Abuse and Neglect

• Like Like x 3
  2. Anonymous Member

3. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Effects of child abuse

Lack of trust and relationship difficulties. If you can’t trust your parents, who can you trust? Abuse by a primary caregiver damages the most fundamental relationship as a child—that you will safely, reliably get your physical and emotional needs met by the person who is responsible for your care. Without this base, it is very difficult to learn to trust people or know who is trustworthy. This can lead to difficulty maintaining relationships due to fear of being controlled or abused. It can also lead to unhealthy relationships because the adult doesn’t know what a good relationship is.
    Core feelings of being “worthless” or “damaged.” If you’ve been told over and over again as a child that you are stupid or no good, it is very difficult to overcome these core feelings. You may experience them as reality. Adults may not strive for more education, or settle for a job that may not pay enough, because they don’t believe they can do it or are worth more. Sexual abuse survivors, with the stigma and shame surrounding the abuse, often especially struggle with a feeling of being damaged.
    Trouble regulating emotions. Abused children cannot express emotions safely. As a result, the emotions get stuffed down, coming out in unexpected ways. Adult survivors of child abuse can struggle with unexplained anxiety, depression, or anger. They may turn to alcohol or drugs to numb out the painful feelings.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Child Abuse Hotlines:

US or Canada: 1-800-422-4453 (Childhelp)
    UK: 0800 1111 (NSPCC Childline)
    Australia: 1800 688 009 (CAPS)
    New Zealand: 0800-543-754 (Kidsline)
    Other international helplines: ChiWorld.org
  5. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Good definitions of abuse vrs discipline , a conversation that comes up in religions who claim their actions are not abuse. Like Scions
  6. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Parenting is scary
  7. Silent333Eyes Member

This is very good info. However, I have had this on my mind lately, well for a long time. As a victim of child abuse and the SOL being expired now it feels as though I am not able to do anything. However, I know where the perpetrators are and I am worried. Is there anything I can do? I would rather not anymore children's lives be destroyed because of them. I can easily get information and possibly evidence of a confession on one of them...

Forgive me if this was not the right area to put this in.
  8. Disambiguation Global Moderator

You need to give the information to law enforcement.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Anonymous Member

Another idea - take your personal pain and rage and turn it into something positive. Volunteer at your local rape crisis center, become a CASA, etc. You'd be surprised at how healing helping others who are in the shoes you once were in can be. <3

http://www.casaforchildren.org/site/c.mtJSJ7MPIsE/b.5301295/k.BE9A/Home.htm
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Michael Jackson was a pedo. you can move this to another thread

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/michael-jackson-enticed-lost-boys-2011607
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/michael-jackson-paid-23million-buying-2011662

11. Anonymous Member

Ok, so if the FBI knew as a certainty that this was the truth of the man, then he was a total predator. Why did they sit idly by and let this continue unimpeded? :(
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Because MJ preyed on the children and their parents, being the skilled monster manipulater he was.
    And paid them off handsomely for their silence - millions of dollars.

When it went to trial years ago, the children ended up saying that it didn't happen, despite there being evidence. MJ had a tatoo of mickey mouse near his privates.
    After that trial, Neverland was pretty much shut down and sat vacant, and MJ was reportedly in major debt.
    Makes one wonder about Corey Haim and Macauley Culkin.

Makes the Jackson family look even more creepy, as if that were even possible.
  13. Anonymous Member

Becuz $$ and fanbois
  14. Anonymous Member

They are creepy. History of Jackson 5 and their manager Daddy.
  15. This is a fairly recent story, because Wade only recently came out about the molestation after years of denial.
  16. Think of what must have happened to Blanket and Prince.
  17. Different story in the news -

http://gawker.com/convicted-pedophile-priest-claims-the-vatican-had-a-ren-610641646

18. Any form of child abuse is inhumane. You are taking away the childs right to feel safe and enjoy its childhood.
    By inflicting pain and suffering you are destroying the childs chances of leading a healthy, strong life.
    Everyone.
    I plead that you all head over to: http://www.nspcc.org.uk/donate/donate_hub_wdh71776.html
    And donate at least £20 for a single donation. Or at least £2/month for a recurring donation.

Please. Lets do what we can to stop child abuse, and the pain it causes.