Customize

Repopulating the Wiki

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Anonymous, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

2. Anonymous Member

3. AnonLover Member

bump.... <3<3<3 u guise for getting a start on this!!!

we desparately need to get the big list page back, and i've been trying to find the time to copypasta the dated version on wwpwikibackup.wiki-site.com over the its proper page widely linked to here:

http://wiki.whyweprotest.net/Former_Church_of_Scientology_members_who_have_spoken_out

However, the wwpwikibackup IS NOT current as of when the wiki went down. But I can easily fix that once the old page is repop'd...

I have a collection of MSWord macros setup that parses thru the current wikipage and makes a doc out of it for my hardcopy pdf version where all links and list navigation is kept intact. So once we got some sort of page recovered, i can run a word doc conversion and then use it to build a "merge document" for running MSWord track changes against what was current when the wiki went offline, and then get a redlined roadmap of where it needs copyedited to bring it up to date properly.

so if anybody plox to be halping me out with that task by getting the old wwpwikibackup version ported over, i will have your internet babies AND do the grunt work of getting it synchronized with the current listings as of wiki crash.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AnonLover Member

Big List page recovery started but not finished yet:
    http://wiki.whyweprotest.net/Former_Church_of_Scientology_members_who_have_spoken_out

I also got the Template:Motherthread‎ and Template:TOCLeft‎ recovered,

but I'm missing/clueless on Template:Exspace and it appears my MSWord macros depend on whatev that did cuz stuff isnt lining up for me yet (in order to build a merge document for identifying changes needed to make the list current with what was on the page at time of wiki crash)

can i haz some wiki-expertise halp plox?
  5. thefatman Member

Happy to help out.

Are we going to be getting image uploads up again?
  6. TinyDancer Member

The trick is to open the edit page of the backup, copy the plain text then paste it into the wwp wiki (using the plain text editor). :)
  7. TinyDancer Member

8. TinyDancer Member

9. Ann O'Nymous Member

10. TinyDancer Member

That seems to have been fixed.
  11. thefatman Member

Yeah, I've been having trouble with templates. Is it possible to get an infobox one set up. Like the one on the righthand side of pages on wikipedia?
  12. AnonLover Member

13. TinyDancer Member

I managed to recover many of the templates from the backup site ^^^, but not the ones in the Fowler page.
    Template:p = ?
    Template:BquoteRef = ?
  14. TinyDancer Member

15. AnonLover Member

Template:Exspace = ? as well on Big List page
  16. Ann O'Nymous Member

I took Fowler's stuff in the latter (FSD people, Fowler Software Design, WRF affidavit) to add to the former and made basic editing to make it more or less readable. I do not intend to work with template, but could adapt the existing stuff, using the basic tool of the wiki.

I was pleased to see that not everything was lost in the disaster.
  17. Ann O'Nymous Member

Now doing the same on Jett Travolta.
  18. Ann O'Nymous Member

It seems I did it wrong. Any idea how to copy a page so that all formats (basic wiki ones) are not lost ?
  19. TinyDancer Member

Are you copying the "edit" page? If you do that, there may be some problems if a template isn't in place yet, but it'll be mostly accurate.
  20. Ann O'Nymous Member

At first, I copied the "edit" text, but not the "wikitext" one. Seems OK, except for the references.
  21. Ann O'Nymous Member

Does anyone know how the reference system works on the wiki ? More precisely, I am looking to the one that put a number in the text that links to the lit of reference at the bottom.
  22. TinyDancer Member

23. TinyDancer Member

Just saw this:

24. AnonLover Member

if i recall our wiki evolution history rightly, i believe the fancy cites.php stuff was first applied/worked-out on the operation press pack project. and there maybe might be a chance of finding how-to notes on that old thread.
  25. TinyDancer Member

I think it's a job for superda5id
    • Like Like x 1
  26. AnonLover Member

27. AnonLover Member

WWP Wiki has a problem

Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.
    Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.
    (Can't contact the database server: Access denied for user 'wwpwiki'@'localhost' (using password: YES) (localhost))

^^FFS, I'm starting wonder why I even bother
  28. TinyDancer Member

29. AnonLover Member

aww shucks thats right, i did know that but forgot. Another anon got my page in question fixed for me already, but thks for the reply - I'm thinking i need atleast one more somewhere.
  30. AnonLover Member

31. Perikles Member

Excuse me if I'm wrong, not being a wikifiddler, but when I put up the list of IOs today I did this:

[[whatever]]

That may however not actually be what you mean by a redirect...heh.

On a note I have a little free time, and taught myself basic wikifiddling today. Shout if I can be of halp.
  32. TinyDancer Member

Right. It needed double brackets [[ .. ]] Working now.
  33. Perikles Member

34. Perikles Member

*All articles must have a "references" tab at the bottom. It's the far right of the 3 blue icons on the top row (right hand side). If you move the cursor over it it says "references".*

This acts as a sump for actual references. Think of it as a bibliography function.

Then, when you want to add a reference, you click the "reference" button (the one to the left of "references").

They number automatically, but without adding a "references" thingy they don't show.

Sorry for lack of technical language. I hope this helps. Or just link me the wiki and I'll process them.

EDIT: decided to keep 'sump' in the end
  35. AnonLover Member

Perikles, your new found wiki enthusiasm is great. But you do realize the majority of what we previously had a great deal of effort into, was totally flushed in hardware failure and there is still massive recon and recovery going on?

See http://wiki.whyweprotest.net/Wiki_Reconstruction

so yes - the bibliography stuff maye be lacking some template restoration, but at this point its the least area of concern. Way more important - the shit ton of missing content needs carried over from one of the wiki backup sites and recreated. then the missing bits will be easier to address all at once.

also - your massive creation of new lump & dump pages worries me in regards to general consistency, and specifically in regards to scilon properties... there are old topics that indexed that stuff not yet recovered. plus your new page titles are totally vague (city name only doesnt relay if its related to protesting, media, or whatever tangent) and they all need tied together somehow.

So i suggest you do some wiki'ing due diligence with helping port over missing pages from backup sauce to get a feel for how things are typically organized before doing moar massive new page creation all over the place. Then once we got the wiki somewhat restored as far as all the topics being there... revisit all that new stuff you created, figure out a way to tie old and new together, and rename those topics in a way that makes better sense.

but aside from ^^that bitch, gripe & moan.... your doing a fantastic job! keep up the good work.
  36. Perikles Member

Cheers! :)

Only as of the day before yesterday...sorry. I am still here to help.

lump and dump was in response to infoz and requests on an almost dead thread I was hoping to reignite. ^^ see above.

City name only was due to hardcoar data entry. I wish i could laugh...but pain happened.

NONEDIT: Unaware of reindexing...I was trying to provide something to tie everything together. you may note that I did my best to ensure that there was a marker at the top of each entries to see if they were active or not. I am "happy" to go through all current links to see which are available, but it was a Sunday. I also followed the instructions on the thread i was trying to halp with. Apologies.

The lack of any obvious organisation was something of an annoyance. I'm moar than happy to fit this stuff in. However *there was nothing there when I uploaded*. Which puzzled me. Now I know how I failed.

I am happy to reorganise shite...but please bear in mind that terms like "lump & dump" actually mean - I'm guessing, probably badly. And given this response I will drink beer rather than google.

I thought I was doing what was asked. Hence giving up several hours of a Sunday evening which could have been spent in the pub.

:)
    • Like Like x 1
  37. AnonLover Member

no sweat & no worries... i'll slap some repopulating instructions up on the wiki recon page after dinner & then work with ya via privy convo we started to get things straightened out & get you schooled properly <3
  38. Perikles Member

^^ this.

:x
  39. AnonLover Member

Anybody got any suggestions for how2find which wiki pages are still missing?
  40. AnonLover Member