Customize

Reporting Server Errors

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by Sonichu, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Sonichu Moderator

We realize that there has been a large number of minor problems with the Servers here.

Things from Server problems preventing a post, not liking Anonymous posts etc. Have been very recent.

Therefore, in the interest of attempting to track these errors, this thread has been set up.

Please, only sightings of what problem you have encountered ITT only. (Off topic postings etc will be removed.)

When you report, we would like if you can show a screencap, or at the very least, tell us what thread you were viewing, and your browser/Operating System.

Thank you.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. sooleater Member

can we have a "dont like"
  3. James Spader Member

I'm going to request a "Thank you for your community spirit" button, just for you sool.

We are trying to enlist you all in helping to compile enough data about the server problem(s) to enable da5id to fix it. Relevant dox might include:
    • A screenshot of the page having problems (preferably with the error displayed, if applicable)
    • A URL of the thread in question if it's specific
    • Whether this is specific to just one of your accounts or any that you use
    • The following tech specs (whatever you are comfortable revealing):
      • Browser (including version # and revision)
      • OS
      • Any caveats you think I should know (eg, that you always use a proxy, etc)
    • Like Like x 3
  4. ZeroC Member

http://oi40.tinypic.com/29wr5n9.jpg

Example of what I've been experiencing a fair bit recently when trying to reply, though upon refreshing the page, the reply is in fact posted.

Firefox 7.01
    Windows 7 Home Edition (32-bit)
    No proxies - internet connection is good where I am.

error occurred at 0903 GMT (not BST) today

I was not trying to post Anonymously, let me know if you need any more data.
  5. Anonymous Member

The wiki keeps presenting a captcha question asking "which is more annoying, spammers or captcha?" and refuses to accept captcha as the correct answer! That's gotta be an error :p
  6. Yes, the confounding part of the situation you have described is that in most, perhaps all cases, the error report is false. The message has in fact been successfully posted.

Besides the report being false, it is misleading, especially for new members. My own work around has been to open the thread in another window and confirm that the message is posted. If it is, and it always is, I close the error report window and carry on.

Next time I have the problem, I am simply going to close the error report window, and then check the thread. Your suggestion of reloading/refreshing the page is good advice. I might also copy the message data to memory before the page reload, just in case it didn't post.

For the record, I am using:

Firefox 7.0.1 running in 64 bit mode.
    Broadband Cable Connection. Firewall. No proxy.
    OSX - 10.6.8