Customize

[Research] Writing dissertation on Anonymous...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ditaswo, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Ditaswo Member

Hi everyone,

I'm a third year BA Anthropology undergraduate in the UK. I have always had an interest in virtual and cyborg anthropology, and decided to break away from the traditional and write about it for my dissertation - leading me here. I'm looking to write about the creation of new protest groups formed and maintained largely through the internet, and have decided to use Anonymous as a key example.

My reason for posting here is that I would like to discuss Anonymous directly with those who identify with Anonymous, either as a supporter or as a member. I do not need any personal details from you, and you are free to withdraw your consent for me to use your responses at any time. My questions cover topics such as why you support/have joined Anonymous, the meaning of anonymity within Anonymous and online generally, political motivations, and ideas on the formation of Anonymous/membership. I would be happy to post them in the thread, too, if requested.

I am also happy to answer any questions about virtual anthropology or my project so far - either here on the thread or through DMs.

Thanks in advance - I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
  2. meep meep Member

Sounds legit.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. CarterUSP Member

You do realise that anonymous doesn't have members, right?
    • Like Like x 3
  4. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 3
  5. TrevAnon Member

Please do so. :)
  6. CarterUSP Member

• Like Like x 6
  7. TrevAnon Member

LOL!
  8. Ditaswo Member

Here they are. Sorry for the mess they may appear to be in, my dissertation really is a work in progress - the more I read and ask, the messier everything seems to get. I'll get there though. For anyone who'd like to answer, feel free to pick and choose - I'm aware that some questions may be a little assuming/pointing in the wrong direction. If I'm using any incorrect terms or you think I've misunderstood anything - let me know!

1. What aspects of Anonymous appeal to you in your decision to support it/become involved? What are your motivations in supporting/participating?

2. What is the importance of anonymity as a concept for you, both in your participation as an Anon, and in general?

3. What are the strengths of Anonymous when it comes to social activism?
    (I've lost the citation, but someone compared the tactics of Anonymous as akin to a sit-in protest, just with new technology. What do you think about that?)

4. Are there any examples of action taken by strands of Anonymous that you personally disagree with?

5. There are many posts about Anonymous not being a personal army to those who appeal to it. In your opinion, what are issues worthy of being acted upon by Anonymous?

6. How are notions of egalitarianism among Anons important within Anonymous? How does it work without leadership?
    (I'm sorry for this question... Academia needs me to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak)

7. What do you think the description of the actions of Anonymous in terms of social guardians or vigilantes? I refer here to examples such as #OpOKRelief or Steubenville respectively.

8. What are the qualities needed to be an Anon? Do you see it as involvement-based, or also ideological?

9. How do you view yourself within Anonymous?

10. If you were to define Anonymous in a sentence or two (or even a word, I've been asking a lot), how would you define it?
    (This one would really help my understanding/how I can shape further questions as I continue my dissertation... There's a lot of mixed messages out there!)
  9. Ditaswo Member

How should I refer to those involved with Anonymous? For example as I write my dissertation...
  10. Incredulicide Member

The same way Gabriella Coleman does.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. meep meep Member

I feel your pain it's hard to write a paper when there are few/ none published references. Our do in it rite
    Thanks for the questions. We ARE part of anonymous. We are the clean shiny face that Anonymous shows the world
    In addition to Gabriella Coleman look at Lessing, Aaron Swartz, and julian Assange/ wiki leaks and Barrett Brown
    • Like Like x 3
  12. meep meep Member

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ditaswo Member

14. Ditaswo Member

Well, the shiny face is just as good... You're right about the references though - but luckily I get to write all about this in my dissertation so hopefully it will make for good reading in the end.

Thanks for this!
  15. Jeff Jacobsen Member

• Like Like x 2
  16. TrevAnon Member

Ok, here my 2 cents. Hope I'm clear below, English is not my native language.

1. What aspects of Anonymous appeal to you in your decision to support it/become involved? What are your motivations in supporting/participating?

Anonymous decided to DO something against the cult of Scientology while having found a way, anonimity, to defend oneself against stupid church tactics like fair game.

2. What is the importance of anonymity as a concept for you, both in your participation as an Anon, and in general?

As anon: anonimity helps me to be less afraid of countermeasures by COS. Also it helps in not getting my real name contaminated with COS. Where I live, COS is seen as weird, as are people who occupy themselves with it. Anonimity means I don't have to explain myself. (Of course I can still choose to share my participation in the fight against the cult with people I trust.)

In general anonimity means I can more truthfully speak out. I don't have to restrain myself to be polite or somthing like that.

(I've lost the citation, but someone compared the tactics of Anonymous as akin to a sit-in protest, just with new technology. What do you think about that?)

I think a strength is the "dox or gtfo" mentality. No one takes you at face value. You have to prove what you say.

4. Are there any examples of action taken by strands of Anonymous that you personally disagree with?

Yup. I don't think illegal actions like ddos'ing the COS websites really help. Instead, for the general public it gives anon only an image of "hackers on steroids".

5. There are many posts about Anonymous not being a personal army to those who appeal to it. In your opinion, what are issues worthy of being acted upon by Anonymous?

I guess there are a lot of them. Everywhere where human rights get violated. Also, I like to have fun. Memes are nice. :) So there are serious things and, well..., less serious things / lulz. It really all depends on lots of things. Hard to give a good answer.

6. How are notions of egalitarianism among Anons important within Anonymous? How does it work without leadership?
    (I'm sorry for this question... Academia needs me to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak)

No leaderfagging plox. :) Anonimity also means I can just not do anything, even though some issue is serious. Maybe right at that time, I am not interested in helping others.

7. What do you think the description of the actions of Anonymous in terms of social guardians or vigilantes? I refer here to examples such as #OpOKRelief or Steubenville respectively.

I'm afraid I'm not that much of an anon. :p Seeing Anon as only a force for the positive side is wrong. Anonimity also helps if you want to commit a crime.

8. What are the qualities needed to be an Anon? Do you see it as involvement-based, or also ideological?

For me it is involvement based. And you need a thick skin. If I make a mistake, people will call me out for it. And rightly so.

I'm anonymous in order to fight COS. I don't consider myself to be a channer. Should COS cease to exist or really reform I think I won't be here on WWP much anymore.

10. If you were to define Anonymous in a sentence or two (or even a word, I've been asking a lot), how would you define it?
    (This one would really help my understanding/how I can shape further questions as I continue my dissertation... There's a lot of mixed messages out there!)

People having fun while, in some cases, fighting for a good cause.

Hope this helps, and you're welcome. :)
    • Like Like x 5
  17. Answer
    So much of protesting is deadly serious and the light hearted humor makes it easier to carry on.

First fellow Anons can post pictures of your dick and send them to your Mom if they get mad at you. If you don't get some people mad you aren't doinItRite.
    If OSA doxxes you, they have got people fired or ruin their businesses. Quotes of what I do here would not be positive on my employer.
    Second what is important is the content and not the identity of the egofag that posted it. None of us is as cruel as all of us and cruelty gets shit done.

We don't have to worry about what school or Mom thinks of what we do. There is no blow back or IRL consequences. The lulz is free. Like I said it gets shit done

You're so cute. Anonymous has no self to disagree with.

There is discussion and out of discussion if enough Anons want it to go it goes. The discussion is in IRC or tiny chat or dot dot dot any method of instant communication. Hive mind. When someone brings a conflict important to them and not important to many people then continued insistence on the topic or venue hopping get NYPA.

Hive mind. Anyone can start discussion any one can work on it. Particular interests get discussed in separate rooms by Anons interested in a topic, they find them selves in group rooms and make another room. This becomes a organized initiative that any Anon can join or disrupt whatever they feel that day.

Same as the abusers of cats. Outrage is common, doing something very awful to a 14 year old fuckface abusing a cat is fair game.

I don't know any dead people who are Anons so that might be the limit. People live on in memory of the injustices that killed them so maybe not even that.
    Cynical observer and also righteous activist. A free for all
    Freefall. a Free-for-all.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Hugh Bris Member

Quinn Norton has some good insights.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Disambiguation Global Moderator

20. CarterUSP Member

Best description of anonymous ever.
    • Like Like x 4
  21. RolandRB Member

Pimply hacker kids hiding behind masks.
  22. A.O.T.F Member

How are notions of egalitarianism among Anons important within Anonymous? How does it work without leadership?

Having the courage and the ability to follow one's principles, even when one may be scared to death.
  23. Ditaswo Member

Hi - sorry for the radio silence, have found it hard to get any time to log in here and give worthy replies!

I really enjoyed reading your article - getting an overview of the inception and history of anonymous was really useful for me compared to before when I just had facts floating around. It was also interesting to read about the things I just haven't thought about - such as the scale of opposition against Anonymous and also problems with anonymity when it moves into real life protesting. Also this is the most fluidly written thing I've read in weeks - so thanks for that, too!

I've actually discussed with my tutor about the lack of current research on Anonymous and how to address that in my literature review... Now I've read through your article, would you mind if I could cite you in my literature review? When it's in draft form I'd be happy to send you the part in which I've cited you.
    • Like Like x 2
  24. BrainStorm Member

I joined because I saw what they did, the ability and the potential in numbers of moral people.
    My motivation is the discontent, the ignorance and the apathetic society we live in.

Protection ofc. The fear of being sentenced without a fair trial is real.
    What you say, can put you in jail or worse, that is a scary reality.

Well, technology can either be beneficial or used as a weapon against us.. I think that answers the question.

What is Anonymous really if not groups of ppl. You won't agree with everyone, but you can find common grounds.

There are so many, but I think I can sum it up to spreading awareness and knowledge, the safe guarding of our future and the future of our kids.

Did you just call me a horse? lol
    It would be hypocrisy to say we are equals and not act like equals.
    Just like: To gain respect, you need to respect.

That would imply that we want to nourish our ego. They can call it what they want, I see it as people that are awake trying to wake up others.
    Open mind, common sense and a will to act.
    I think ideology and action go together. The idea would't be worth anything if you don't act on it. Just by sharing an idea, that is acting for me.

I don't, if ppl want to call themselves Anonymous and brag about it to friends, they are missing the point. I view myself within a world that is changing.

Awaken citizens of the world! ...lol
  25. Ditaswo Member

Thanks for your answers!
  26. Ditaswo Member

Thanks for your replies. Referring to q1, can I ask if you've been involved in alternative forms of protest before/any other advantages of Anonymous over those?
  27. Ditaswo Member

Great replies - thanks for taking the time to answer!
  28. Jeff Jacobsen Member

Use it as any researcher is supposed to use sources :)
    • Like Like x 2
  29. BrainStorm Member

Not to claim that it is invalid or to offend anyones work but,
    doesn't a source need to have its origin confirmed to be accepted/trusted for academic writing?

I've had this problem before, that is why I say this.
  30. Jeff Jacobsen Member

That's part of what Ditaswo is learning, hopefully. How to find and use reliable sources. If that is not learned, a bad grade is assured.
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Ditaswo Member

Thanks for raising this - I'll ask my supervisor about it. My university is usually quite lenient on web sources - so I think I'd be able to use it as an article. Also my literature review is going to focus on the lack of writing on the topic so hopefully I can address that/use some less accepted sources of writing... But I will see! Thanks for making me think about it.
  32. BrainStorm Member

glad I could help in some way =)
  33. PickANumber Member

Only if they have a picture to begin with. Thinking ahead solves that. :)
  34. BrainStorm Member

You should always have a picture of ur dick in case of an emergency.
    :D
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Darth Alor Member

Nice Bait Brah
  36. I read that as "picture of your duck" at first and thought..something.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Anonymous Member

^^^^ Spam reported. Embedded
    Code:
     Research Paper Writing
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Actually that's kinda funny. Some spammers are artists, like the diarrhea ad about Scientologists