Customize

Resource Available: Your Own Copy of the Scientology Completions Database

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by XenuLovesU, May 19, 2008.

1. XenuLovesU Member

Resource Available: Your Own Copy of the Scientology Completions Database

Download the Scientology Completions Database

Feeling geeky? Want to slice-and-dice some hugely valuable information? Here's your chance to nab a copy of Kristi Watcher's Scientology Completions Database.

If you're a mySQL geek, this is your chance to shine, courtesy of Kristi.

This is the DB behind:

Scientology's Stats Are Down

Put it to good use. Mirror the shit out of it. Make sure it never disappears.
  2. AnonyMILF Member

Re: Resource Available: Your Own Copy of the Scientology Completions Database

Woah, is this the DB for all graduated Scientologists? Or partial?

I'll download SQL Server and check it once it's done.
  3. whoever Member

It's partial. Kristi isn't privy to private CoS files; the completions lists on her site are compiled from CoS publications, such as Freewinds, Celebrity, Source, Advance....So her information depends on a) her getting a copy of a particular issue's completions list (and there are many issues of many publications going back many years), and b) the published completions being complete--which they aren't. It's not clear just how incomplete they are; we just know that they are. Some orgs may not be very good about publishing them, people fall through the cracks, and, in some cases (mostly celebrities), they may not want their completions published.

So, while the lists are extremely helpful, if a person doesn't turn up in the database, that doesn't necessarily mean that he or she is not a Scientologist. And if a person does turn up, it's important to look at the dates on the courses and how advanced the courses were. A couple of lower-level courses twenty years ago may mean that the person checked it out but decided not to pursue it.

P.S. The publications the lists are taken from have not always been accurate in spelling people's names, particularly in older issues. (I have an old issue of Celebrity that has "Jerry Seinenfeld" taking a course.)
  4. AnonyMILF Member

Yeah I can tell it's partial now, around 10k names between 1975 and 2005, when O.G. estimates put their current estimates at around 50,000. I'll analyze the data on the weekend and see if I can find anything juicy.
  5. Spork Member

OT8, then 15 years of more BS

Poking through the completions database at random, found one that tells a story:

Gabriel Crittenden - Scientology Service Completions | Truth About Scientology Statistics Project

This poor sap completed OT8 in 1991. Three years later, back on the lowly Key to Life course! What happened?! What about all the OT powers -- didn't work? Then in 2006, like a dog returning to its own vomit, completed OT Preps.

If at first you don't succeed ... well in this case you never will.
  6. DeMiNe0 Member

7. RHill Member

This is very generous of Kristi. There is a huge amount of work in there by Kristi and unnamed individuals who helped her collating this data.

At the risk of sounding preachy, I suggest to whomever create work based on her database to credit properly (like research papers which need to present all the sources used.)
  8. XenuLovesU Member

. nm
  9. XenuLovesU Member

A suggestion for making this DB more search friendly:

There are a *lot* of misspelled names (with repeat entries for the same person spelled differently) in the DB. These errors are carried over directly from the Scientology publications that Kristi culled the data from.

Many times, when searching, the only way I've been able to find a particular person is to search by first name (and look for close last name matches) or vice-versa.

So... how about a "fuzzy" search interface?

Example: Searching for "Jeremiah P. O'Phartwhistle" would...

1. Split the query into first name and last name.

2. DB is searched for:

- jeremiah +closest last name soundex matches for "o'phartwistle"
    - o'phartwistle +closest first name soundex matches for "jeremiah"

3. Repeat hits (e.g., matching both queries) are presented first, followed by statistically close soundex matches... with a flag to denote a perfect match if found.

This is beyond my SQL geekiness... but I believe mySQL supports soundex queries.
  10. RHill Member

Noob here.

How do I load an SQL dump into Access?
  11. timthephoto Member

as far as i know, you go get the MySQL server for your type of computer, free to download etc etc,

install this and make it run the *.sql file. then you M$ access and look for the SQL option, navigate to the sql or input the IP address( which is in the MySQL help) for sql's on the same computer, can't remember if it's 127.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1

if access won't do it, Open Office should www: OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite