Customize

Reverse graffiti

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by N. Ron Rubber, Jun 29, 2010.

1. N. Ron Rubber Member

Reverse graffiti

Ever heard about "reverse graffiti"? This is an epic tactic I've found here: Activists Send a Message by Cleaning Things Up a Bit : TreeHugger

Legal and eco-friendly: seems like a tactic full of win.

Your thoughts?
  2. Anonse7en Member

3. JohnnyRUClear Member

Re: Reverse graffiti

I saw this on wimp.com just last night. So cool!
    Vid here.
  4. AIN Member

[IMG]

This has win, no crime and if you do it on the side of a Idle Org, the police show up and all we can say is "What? We are cleaning their building for them!"
  5. Re: Reverse graffiti

Yeah, this is a complete win.
    Break out the cleaning supplies!
  6. AIN Member

7. Re: Reverse graffiti

You do say that, but I have gotten lazy and decided not to say anything back.
    .... starting now.
  8. Sponge Member

That would work well on the Northumbria Idle Morgue, which is particularly mucky

northumbriareversegraf.jpg

failshoop.

inb4 check your local laws/baawws
  9. AIN Member

that is the beauty of reverse graffiti, it's not illegal. You aren't defacing anything, you are just doing a public service of cleaning up a grimy wall/area.
  10. Sponge Member

It depends what you write/draw I suppose.

http://www.reversegraffiti.co.uk/
  11. AIN Member

12. Sponge Member

That's what i was meaning, you know, going a bit too OTT. Different places have different thresholds and some bobbies on the beat are not always up to scratch with the letter of the law and can't make a judgment on the spot. Just ask Epic Nose Guy.
  13. AIN Member

hence why I said in the USA. Because in America, this becomes a free speech issue and police like to stay away from infringing on it for fear of mega lawsuits.
  14. Anonymous Member

Scraping off the muck could still be trespassing / damage to property / some other crime.

It may not break those laws specifically written to address graffiti, but it could (in some places) violate a whole slew of others.

tl;dr do this to an org, get caught, and you WILL be on the losing end of a lolsuit and/or partyvan. Because they almost certainly WILL find some law you broke, however inadvertently.

At a non-sci edifice nearby? Do the research, and Good Luck.
  15. lokimotion Member

Reverse graffiti is a good idea, however not the most practical. With the availability of chalk tech, we have a better option already.
    I'm aware that some cities are not thrilled with reverse graffiti, makes their city look dirty and someone might have to remove it. *So, check your local laws before doing the following*
    If you really want to, save reverse for something special. Plan ahead to pull off some good reveres graffiti, you're going to need the time and plenty of elbow grease if you want to be stealthy. Then a bucket of water, soap and a brush is the way to go.
    A rush job will require something along the lines of a pressure sprayer, some stencils and everything needed to use with the sprayer, i.e. hoses. Which will certainly attract attention.

As not to rain on the parade, will leave this here as another form of inspiration.
  16. the_cloak Member

If anyone actually did that, they might just top Puebit for awesome.
  17. anonymous612 Member

Not necessarily. Chalking isn't legal in CW.
  18. Anonymous Member

LOL
    "wipe out the cult"
    or "
    MSG 2 $cientology: Clean up ur act"
  19. lokimotion Member

Clearwater is a silly place.
  20. Anonymous Member

In England there's a risk that if you did it to private property, the property owner would have valid legal grounds for a claim of criminal damage.

I've always pondered the comedy value of a late-night visit to TCR with some Cillit Bang to clean the word "cult" into the pavement, though...
  21. TorontosRoot Member

In Toronto, is there any laws banning that from happening on their Orge?
  22. Sponge Member

"Oops, I made a clean spot here. Now I've done it. Guess I'll have to do the whole thing"

mv5bmti4nzm2otm5ov5bml5.jpg
  23. AIN Member

but that is just it, what property damage? if you do it on a modern building (so as not to deal with historical restoration), and from a public sidewalk, what crime is committed? You simply were cleaning a dirty wall and if you make a big enough mural, you can claim a shitty cleaning job.

If you use common soap and water, no damage, no defacement, no crime is done. If you read the articles on it, more often then not, proscutors couldn't charge the people with anything. Honestly, think about it "Your honor, the defendant, with soap and water, cleaned a patch of a dirty building to spell out "Clean me."! No your honor, no damage was done to the wall. No your honor, what was written was not obscene, vulgar, abusive, bigoted or the like."
  24. anonymous256 Member

even then, its not illegal, its symbolic speech! i can walk around school with a swastika on my arm. ill get attention for it, but because it is symbolic speech in the US, i cant get in trouble! if they do attempt to bust me, the admins at schoolcan actually get fired, or arrested, for busting me.

thats how we lost our last principal! xD

but, the scifags can sue you, because it is on their property. but if your wearing a mask, and plead the 5th, that makes suing someone a little hard.
    just make sure they dont get your license tag number.

tl;dr its not illegal, but can be lawsuit material, so youd best be sure to be unidentifiable

but its not something i would do. i dont have the money the scifags leech from their victims.
  25. anonymous612 Member

Bullshit. Free speech doesn't cover everything.

You really don't understand the concept of namefagging, hm? Or how about the fact that it's possible to recognize someone in a mask even if you don't have a name to put to the face? We can certainly tell our anons apart. Or how about the fact that in some cities avoiding namefagging is basically impossible? Could your suggestion be a little less destined to fail horribly, please?

"Hey guys, you should totally do this questionably legal thing that you might get arrested for and will totally get sued for! Just don't expect me to join you." Right.

This is a good idea. Just for the love of god, do it right instead of listening to this faggot.
  26. JohnnyRUClear Member

Your parents must be so proud.
  27. Xenu Cakes Member

This seems to be legal in the UK as many buisnesses around my area use this. I see it on the pavement everyday and I was perplexed what it was. Properly done It can last for 3 months.
  28. Touchstone Member

Free speech doesn't cover threats. Whether a public swastika constitutes a threat would require serious arguments (from both sides) about context and the like. It could (and should) be protected in a lot of cases, but done, say, on the side of a Jewish retirement home? That probably goes in the 'threat' column.
  29. Anonymous Member

Free speech may not cover everything,
    but Bullshit covers everything Anon256 posts.

^
  30. Anonymous Member

Or a non-hypothetical case:

6" spray painted on the front door at the main entrance to my high school.

Perps weren't caught, but if they had I doubt our principal would have been the one hurting.
  31. Re: Reverse graffiti

Didn't someone do this already with a pressure washer?
  32. anonymous612 Member

Not just threats. Incitement to violence, for one. Free speech wouldn't be a very effective legal defense if I told people to assassinate the Governor. You could make a fairly decent argument that wearing a swastika in a highschool was a purposeful attempt to stir up altercations. Whether that's the way it should be....*shrug* But that's the angle they'd go after, and they'd have a good chance of succeeding.

I realized that a fair while back, yes.